This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TaeMoon97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would love some input on my chances and which DO schools I should apply to this summer for 2019 admission. Currently I'm a Junior at University of Texas at san antonio, just a normal state college.
MCAT: 507
cGPA: 3.47 sGPA: 3.44
-The only hole in my GPA is Cs in chem 2, ochem 1 and 2. But I got an A in biochem and mostly A and B in other science courses. I don't know if I should retake it? But if I do then it would be over the summer and my application would be send by July. Can someone give me some information on if I can send a update transcript or how the DO school I'll apply to would know?
EC:
-Executive officer for 3 organizations, each for one year long.
-Ambassador for a year now and will continue next year.
-Neurobiology research lab for 2 semesters, one abstract and poster presentation at my university. I found that research wasn't for me but it might be because of my bad PI.
-Volunteer with Red Cross since 2016 and have around 150 hours
-Volunteer at hospital near my house since 2016 and have around 200 hours
-Currently work as a medical scribe, started in December 2017
-Volunteer at a bats organization to raise awareness, importance and rescue in town.
-Will be shadowing a DO orthopaedics in a week and a DO pediatric in a month.
Interesting things:
-Fluency in Vietnamese and English, with semi fluency in Japanese and Korean.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake Cs. Get a letter from one of those DOs. Keep doing well in the sciences and you should be good.

Don't retake Cs. Get a letter from one of those DOs. Keep doing well in the sciences and you should be good.
Thank you for the reply! Got it, I'll just continue with my upper bio classes instead of retaking chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're completely fine, just continue to do well in the rest of your classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming Texas residency, make sure you apply to all TMDSAS as well.

Your numbers are solid (for AACOMAS, marginal for TMDSAS), and your ECs are looking great.

I think you have a reasonable chance for a few TMDSAS schools to interview you, including TCOM. Apart from TMDSAS, I think you have a strong AACOMAS application and you should pick a few AACOMAS schools that appeal to you and apply there and maybe a fallback or two.

Hello,

I would love some input on my chances and which DO schools I should apply to this summer for 2019 admission. Currently I'm a Junior at University of Texas at san antonio, just a normal state college.
MCAT: 507
cGPA: 3.47 sGPA: 3.44
-The only hole in my GPA is Cs in chem 2, ochem 1 and 2. But I got an A in biochem and mostly A and B in other science courses. I don't know if I should retake it? But if I do then it would be over the summer and my application would be send by July. Can someone give me some information on if I can send a update transcript or how the DO school I'll apply to would know?
EC:
-Executive officer for 3 organizations, each for one year long.
-Ambassador for a year now and will continue next year.
-Neurobiology research lab for 2 semesters, one abstract and poster presentation at my university. I found that research wasn't for me but it might be because of my bad PI.
-Volunteer with Red Cross since 2016 and have around 150 hours
-Volunteer at hospital near my house since 2016 and have around 200 hours
-Currently work as a medical scribe, started in December 2017
-Volunteer at a bats organization to raise awareness, importance and rescue in town.
-Will be shadowing a DO orthopaedics in a week and a DO pediatric in a month.
Interesting things:
-Fluency in Vietnamese and English, with semi fluency in Japanese and Korean.
You're fine for any DO school, including mine.

Assuming Texas residency, make sure you apply to all TMDSAS as well.

Your numbers are solid (for AACOMAS, marginal for TMDSAS), and your ECs are looking great.

I think you have a reasonable chance for a few TMDSAS schools to interview you, including TCOM. Apart from TMDSAS, I think you have a strong AACOMAS application and you should pick a few AACOMAS schools that appeal to you and apply there and maybe a fallback or two.
I really hope to stay in town so I'm aiming for Incarnate word new osteopathic school or UT health at san antonio (Long). But as long as I'm still in texas, everything should be good too with my financial situation. And thank you for answering! I hope I do well. Do you have any tips for interviews?

I really hope to stay in town so I'm aiming for Incarnate word new osteopathic school or UT health at san antonio (Long). But as long as I'm still in texas, everything should be good too with my financial situation. And thank you for answering! I hope I do well. Do you have any tips for interviews?

Don’t ever act like you’re randomly taking classes. Have a reason for every class, even if it’s just “the class interested me” or “I’m finishing my degree”. Not “I just neeeed to fill my schedule”.

I did that. Oops.

Twice actually.

It earned me two waitlists at those two schools :(

I fully recognize that I’m an idiot for doing it twice.

Don’t ever act like you’re randomly taking classes. Have a reason for every class, even if it’s just “the class interested me” or “I’m finishing my degree”. Not “I just neeeed to fill my schedule”.

I did that. Oops.

Twice actually.

It earned me two waitlists at those two schools :(

I fully recognize that I’m an idiot for doing it twice.
Oh wow, I mean I am doing that and I'm sure other pre-med do too. But I guess they are strict and don't want to hear those simple reasons. Thank for telling me. I'll need to sharpen my talking skills since I get shy or very nervous when being ask questions.

Oh wow, I mean I am doing that and I'm sure other pre-med do too. But I guess they are strict and don't want to hear those simple reasons. Thank for telling me. I'll need to sharpen my talking skills since I get shy or very nervous when being ask questions.

Just make sure you never leave feeling like you said something you really could have gone the rest of your life without saying!