Chances for MD 3.06 MCAT 22

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Underdog2013

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I want to be an MD-- But I have low stats, 3.06 GPA, 3.025 Science GPA, PS 8 V 6 BS 8. I do not want to be a DO, or go to Caribbean . If I applied to the lower tier schools:

Tulane
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple

Do I have a chance? I have a compelling life story, and have overcome a lot. What can I do to get into med school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering, why don't you want to be a DO?

Even with a compelling story you're still looking at a strong numbers game. If you're an underrepresented minority it may help a little, but not much. You best retake some of those classes and definitely the MCAT. You better also have a damn good reason why you're too good to even consider osteopathic medicine... and I assure you: Jefferson sure as **** isn't "easy" to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, why don't you want to be a DO?
I have nothing against DOs. I realize they are professionally equivalent to MDs. The head of the emergency department I work in is a DO, and I never tell the difference between them. I don't have a strong interest in OMT and, from what I've researched, I'll have a better shot in surgery as an MD, there's a strong possibility that may go to Europe after medical school, and DOs are not recognized as well over seas. I realize that any of my success will depend on my own effort regardless of the path I choose, but I feel that MD is a better route to take with my personal interests and goals.

Hello All,

I want to be an MD-- But I have low stats, 3.06 GPA, 3.025 Science GPA, PS 8 V 6 BS 8. I do not want to be a DO, or go to Caribbean . If I applied to the lower tier schools:

Tulane
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple

Do I have a chance? I have a compelling life story, and have overcome a lot. What can I do to get into med school?

Thanks

Zero chance. Get an SMP and retake the MCAT.

Even with a compelling story you're still looking at a strong numbers game. If you're an underrepresented minority it may help a little, but not much. You best retake some of those classes and definitely the MCAT. You better also have a damn good reason why you're too good to even consider osteopathic medicine... and I assure you: Jefferson sure as **** isn't "easy" to get into.
I do not think I'm too good to be a DO. It is not right for me is all. That GPA includes the courses I retook and got As in: Physics, OCHEM, BIO, Anatomy. As far as the MCAT, I wanted to submit before it's way too late, so I don't really have time to retake it. I don't have enough money to go to an expensive post-bac. I have stellar ECs and Personal Statement. Do you know of anyone in a similar situation who has been successful?

You do know that DO schools would do grade replacement for you right...so I'm not sure your retakes would count for MD

Do you know of anyone in a similar situation who has been successful?

Unfortunately not. Your numbers are abysmal for MD and below average for DO. You may stand a chance in the Caribbean, Europe or podiatric medical schools. EC and a personal statement is a very small slice of the pie.

It sucks and its time consuming, but you have to get that GPA and MCAT up or else you're likely to be throwing a lot of application money down the toilet.

No, you made a 22 on your MCAT. That's just not competitive in the slightest. Your grades and your MCAT do not show that you would be able to handle med school. Your not even competitive for D.O. at this point.

You have to re-take the MCAT regardless. If you want to go to D.O. then you will want to retake classes and boost your GPA. If your set on MD, it will take you longer and an SMP would be a good option.

Chances are 0. Find another career path or do an SMP and re-take the MCAT and get >30 if you really want to be a DO. Actually, with your current stats, you probaably wouldn't make it into a DO program either.

Hello All,

Tulane
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple

Thanks

Chances are 0. Find another career path or do an SMP and re-take the MCAT and get >30 if you really want to be a DO. Actually, with your current stats, you probaably wouldn't make it into a DO program either.

Actually, I'm starting school at Drexel tomorrow. I got in with those very stats on my first application cycle. 23 years old. I was very worried after years of people telling me I couldn't, and that I should find a new career path. But if you really want it, and really deserve it, it will come through in your essay and application, and your letters of rec, and you'll get an interview and that's your ticket in. Show them who you really are, show them why you deserve to be there and you'll get in. STATS DON'T MATTER PEOPLE, the path you take and your story matters. Don't listen to anything telling you that you can't or that you have no chance-- if I did that I'd just be moping around at home. If anyone needs real advice, you can PM me! Good luck.

Smells like a troll.

Even if this were true, you would literally be the rarest case imaginable. This forum is about advice, of course there is always a chance. But if the chance is 0.1% is that the smartest route to go?

Is it really true that as a DO, you would have less chances or a harder time specializing in general surgery? I don't know what I'd specialize in, but I know I want to have an equal opportunity in whatever I choose if I go the DO route.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it really true that as a DO, you would have less chances or a harder time specializing in general surgery? I don't know what I'd specialize in, but I know I want to have an equal opportunity in whatever I choose if I go the DO route.

I think the first step is to get into medical school and with the stats OP has he would get rejected by almost every DO school let alone getting anything from MDs.

Underdog2013 your chances at getting an acceptance to MD is -100 % with an emphasis on the negative sign.

I'm not an expert on DOs, but to my knowledge it is harder to get into a surgery residency, and harder to work over seas as a DO. Of course, there are always exceptions to any situation. For example me... rodmichael seems to think that one MUST have certain numbers to get into an MD program, but he/she is wrong as I am starting tomorrow at a decent MD school. You can believe what you want, but I promise you that if you really want to and you don't give up, you will eventually get into medical school and be a great doctor. Don't let a few bad years ruin the rest of them to come, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

Score well on the USMLE as well as the osteopathic COMLEX and you'll be just about as competitive for a general surgery residency as any allopathic graduate.

IMO, I think the OP is lying. Even if he's not, he's still setting a bad example. No place for that. Any underdogs out there, don't bank on something like this.

I agree. Don't rely on this. I am not lying, I knew I was going to be an underdog 2 years ago and took appropriate steps to make my self the best I could be outside of my numbers, and it worked out. I still got 25 rejections, but I got 2 interviews and 2 acceptances. Still tough, but the point is you can over come any poor numbers!

Well considering yesterday you were asking about applying to med school....and now your saying that you've actually already been accepted and you start somewhere soon....I'm betting your lying. Heck, the fact that you call your MD school decent is indication that your full of crap. Nobody calls an MD school in the states decent. With a 22 MCAT you would be screened out of 99% of schools.

And your advice is crap too, yes if you work hard and succeed you can basically accomplish anything you want. But blind hope and wishing won't get you anywhere. No matter how much you feel like you want it, or how hard you think you will work, it doesn't matter if you don't show it. And low stats like that don't show that you are intelligent or work hard.

A low GPA is more understandable, because it can be very difficult to recover from a bad start, and I get that. But a 22 MCAT shows a real lack of basic science knowledge and reasoning skills, you can't make up a "well I've had a rough life and overcame alot" excuse for such a low test score.

Well considering yesterday you were asking about applying to med school....and now your saying that you've actually already been accepted and you start somewhere soon....I'm betting your lying. Heck, the fact that you call your MD school decent is indication that your full of crap. Nobody calls an MD school in the states decent. With a 22 MCAT you would be screened out of 99% of schools.

And your advice is crap too, yes if you work hard and succeed you can basically accomplish anything you want. But blind hope and wishing won't get you anywhere. No matter how much you feel like you want it, or how hard you think you will work, it doesn't matter if you don't show it. And low stats like that don't show that you are intelligent or work hard.

A low GPA is more understandable, because it can be very difficult to recover from a bad start, and I get that. But a 22 MCAT shows a real lack of basic science knowledge and reasoning skills, you can't make up a "well I've had a rough life and overcame alot" excuse for such a low test score.

Well sure you can... but after reading what you wrote I can see that you haven't even read any of this thread, and if you did you didn't understand anything said. So I doubt you'll understand anything else I say. But you can continue to tell people they can't succeed if that makes you feel better. I will tell people the truth, that the numbers don't matter. If the school didn't know I would be successful, they wouldn't have let me in. I called it decent because that's what most people would call it... Drexel is not a top tier school, and it's not the worst school either.. so it's decent. Right? It truly does not matter where you go, all that matters is how hard you work and your board scores. Unfortunately most people don't understand that and focus on "rankings" of schools far too much. To give those that are in that boat an idea of what I meant, I said with my numbers I got into a decent school. But you probably wont understand what I just said...

If OP got into Drexel, then I'm not applying to Drexel.

Lol OP you did not get into a MD school with a 3.0 and a 22 with a 6 in verbal. That's the biggest BS I've heard in the past 10 years of my life. Paste an acceptance letter or GTFO.

I don't understand why you made this thread OP. Even if its true and you're starting med school now with those number, it is still not a good way to present your message. Did you want to get advice not to apply now (which is the right advice for overwhelming majority of applicants with those numbers) and then rub it into their face that you got accepted despite low numbers? Why?

If you want to tell your story and inspire others - post in underdawg thread, non-traditional thread, or even create your own thread in pre-allo. So far you haven't given any constructive advice (specific ECs, LoR, PS) on how you got accepted to people who you say you want to encourage. Your post just reads like one giant FU to the naysayers.

i think he just posted this BS story about getting accepted because he was getting butthurt from the very legitimate responses people were posting to his initial question.

OP is so full of it

he posted yesterday about his chances, then magically today hes already been accepted? then why would he even post in what are my chances?

oh yea by the way, according to the drexel thread, orientation started last monday (august 5th) so if OP is really going to drexel hes already a week behind

You're all right in some ways. And you have the right not to believe me. The point I'm making is again, don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't get in if you have less than ideal numbers. I've given advice/my story to those who asked for it. No sense in posting it publicly where the negative people can just make it worse.

Take home message, if anyone tells you that you can't get in, or that you should switch careers... Don't listen to them. There are plenty of ways to get in as long as you have the work ethic, and patience.

troll ranking: 2/10 for illiciting a reply.

you asked if you had a chance with your stats yesterday and today you got interviewed and accepted at drexel? am i misreading something here?

troll ranking: 2/10 for illiciting a reply.

you asked if you had a chance with your stats yesterday and today you got interviewed and accepted at drexel? am i misreading something here?

Yes... Yes you are. You are severely misreading many things. Try again please.

I shadowed two DO orthopeadic surgeons this past year. And I also shadowed a resident, DO, in trauma surgery.

Every residency is competitive and difficult to get on track (except family medicine of course :) )

But once you interview and can illustrate that you'll be a great candidate, then anything is possible.

You're all right in some ways. And you have the right not to believe me. The point I'm making is again, don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't get in if you have less than ideal numbers. I've given advice/my story to those who asked for it. No sense in posting it publicly where the negative people can just make it worse.

Take home message, if anyone tells you that you can't get in, or that you should switch careers... Don't listen to them. There are plenty of ways to get in as long as you have the work ethic, and patience.

So why does it make sense to you to post a "trick" encouragement post given all of the negativity, yet saying anything more makes no sense. I am not questioning your story. I just don't understand the point of this thread. Just saying "I did it so can you" will not help majority of MD applicants who are going to be rejected this year. I am sorry for being rude but creating a thread to advertise your success, claiming you want to encourage people, and not giving any constructive advice is inconsiderate of so many of us who are going to get rejected despite working so hard to get accepted. And guess what? We do have work ethic and patience.

The things you say....are just so bizarre. I feel like your some half-lucid wannabe motivational speaker who doesn't really make any sense except to people on drugs.

I hate to beat the dead horse here, and putting your remarkably mediocre stats aside, if any decent individual had an interview at Drexel, they would know that they DID in fact have a chance at being accepted, and not be trolling around online looking for a pat on the back.

But hey, I doubt you'll see this post, since your starting medical school today and all!

one of those people that you shouldnt listen to is OP cause hes full of ****

Yup, openly calling op a liar too. Pics or it didn't happen ;)

so you believe him then?
if anything he should be the one providing the pics
this is the internet after all, guilty until proven innocent

so you believe him then?
if anything he should be the one providing the pics
this is the internet after all, guilty until proven innocent

I'm not sure how you could have read anything other than me agreeing with you and calling op a liar.

I'm not sure how you could have read anything other than me agreeing with you and calling op a liar.

lol i didnt read the "too" makes the whole context very different

Original post by OP on 8/10 in italics, and follow-up post by OP on 8/10 below.

So kids, please do NOT feed the trolls!

Hello All,

Tulane
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple

Thanks

Actually, I'm starting school at Drexel tomorrow. I got in with those very stats on my first application cycle. 23 years old. I was very worried after years of people telling me I couldn't, and that I should find a new career path. But if you really want it, and really deserve it, it will come through in your essay and application, and your letters of rec, and you'll get an interview and that's your ticket in. Show them who you really are, show them why you deserve to be there and you'll get in. STATS DON'T MATTER PEOPLE, the path you take and your story matters. Don't listen to anything telling you that you can't or that you have no chance-- if I did that I'd just be moping around at home. If anyone needs real advice, you can PM me! Good luck.

Original post by OP on 8/10 in italics, and follow-up post by OP on 8/10 below.

So kids, please do NOT feed the trolls!

Hello All,

Tulane
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple

Thanks

Just look at the chart put out by aamc it is possible shows an 8 percent acceptance rate for whites in your range ( no idea if you are white) just showing the numbers

Yeah, 4 lectures of biochem on day one! It's pretty intense, but a good time so far. For those with low stats, keep fighting, it's worth it once you get into school. NEVER count yourself out! One idiot that doesn't believe me is right on one thing-- I won't have time to continue checking this thing very often. But if you have low stats and are in need of advice, feel free to PM me. Good luck to every underdog!

I feel like OP is one of those kids you knew in elementary school that said something dumb or stupid then got called out on it, and then proceeded to lie to blow themselves up, and even though all the other kids knew that OP was lying, he would just keep going along with the lie. I hope that people recognize the type of person im talking about.

anyways its sad to think a "medical student" (heavy sarcasm) has such juvenile characteristics

best of luck at "Drexel" OP
im glad you were able to make it at such a low tier school as you say

I have nothing against DOs. I realize they are professionally equivalent to MDs. The head of the emergency department I work in is a DO, and I never tell the difference between them. I don't have a strong interest in OMT and, from what I've researched, I'll have a better shot in surgery as an MD, there's a strong possibility that may go to Europe after medical school, and DOs are not recognized as well over seas. I realize that any of my success will depend on my own effort regardless of the path I choose, but I feel that MD is a better route to take with my personal interests and goals.

Lucky for you, you don't have to go DO, but that's because your numbers would be too low. Unfortunately, no MD school would accept you either.

Lol just saw the drexel update. What a troll.

This is such a strange thread. But really, post your story, because, on the off chance that this is real, I want to know how the hell you managed to get into an MD school with a 3.06 and a 22 MCAT. It doesn't do any of us any good for you to just give us your stats with no context whatsoever and expect us to believe that you got into medical school.

We are scientists. We deduce!

This has got to be the worst troll I have seen. The Backlash defense of "i suddenly got into Drexel and am starting tomorrow" made it the worst.

Anyone that knows how the cycle works would know that is not possible.

Underdog2013, get a new SDN account and start fresh.

Actually this OP reminds me of someone who lied that they got into Stanford. They must've had a psychological disorder or something because they were so paranoid about being referred to as a liar that even after rejection, they MOVED up to Palo Alto, CA and sat in on Stanford classes, took pictures and posted them on facebook to try and prove it.

People will pull the most desperate things to not be called out.

eat-popcorn-3D.gif

This is absolutely the best WAMC thread I've seen in a while. I agree with Anicetus: get a new account and pretend this never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.