Chances for MD and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HakunaMatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from Rutgers University with a 2.9 (Miserable I know) 2 years ago, and did an SMP program at Rowan University, and will be graduating in December with a 3.77 with a Thesis (Research).

I took my MCATS twice. First time being a 8-PS, 6-VR, 8-BS (22), and retook my MCATS this summer and got a 11-PS, 9-VR, 10-BS (30). I am also an international student, and hoping to apply to a good school. I prefer a school which is in a rural/suburban area, acceptable tuition rates (OOS), small class sizes, and is reputable/recognizable.

I worked as a ER scribe for about 10 months, and am an EMT for almost 2 years, and I am looking to apply to both DO and MD schools. Which schools do you guys think I have a decent shot at, with the preferences I am looking for in the school. Anyone go to such a school that you can relate to with the above prefs?

NJ Resident.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're an international student wouldn't you not actually be considered a nj resident if you're not a citizen/PR of this country? If so, you have no room to be picky as an international student. It's a hard road and not many actually get in. Many won't accept international students at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're an international student wouldn't you not actually be considered a nj resident if you're not a citizen/PR of this country? If so, you have no room to be picky as an international student. It's a hard road and not many actually get in. Many won't accept international students at all.

I guess you may be right on the part where me being an international student dosn't qualify me as a NJ resident, but I would have to disagree with you on the part where schools don't accept international students. I have kept in touch with admissions staff from various schools, and have repeatedly told them that I am an international student, and they seemed to have no problems with that!

Members don't see this ad :)
considering your academic stats and your status as an international student, I suggest you apply to a lot of DO schools in addition to any MD schools. Find out all the DO schools that accept international students. I hope you have DO shadowing experience and a DO LOR.

considering your academic stats and your status as an international student, I suggest you apply to a lot of DO schools in addition to any MD schools. Find out all the DO schools that accept international students. I hope you have DO shadowing experience and a DO LOR.

I do have a DO letter! I do want to apply to DO schools, and have found about 20 DO schools that accpet international students. I am looking to narrow the list down based on my preferences. Could you recommend some schools for me? I have searched long and far, and am honestly just looking for a school in where I will fit in and could feel right at home! :unsure:

Sure. Why don't you give me a list out of the 20 that you won't mind attending and I can narrow it down for you from there.

Sure. Why don't you give me a list out of the 20 that you won't mind attending and I can narrow it down for you from there.

So far for DO, I have

RowanSOM
PCOM
MSUCOM
Nova Southeastern
UNECOM
LECOM
LMU-DCOM
Marian
AT Still Kirksville

And for MD, I have

Howard
Michigan State
Penn State
NJMS
RWJMS
Sidney Kimmel @ Thomas Jefferson
Loma Linda
Central Michigan
New York Medical College
University of Maryland
University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill
University of Minnesota
Brown University (Warren Alpert Medical School)
Stony Brook
Morehouse

Add more realistic schools/Take away unrealistic expectations?

So far for DO, I have

RowanSOM
PCOM
MSUCOM
Nova Southeastern
UNECOM
LECOM
LMU-DCOM
Marian
AT Still Kirksville

And for MD, I have

Howard
Michigan State
Penn State
NJMS
RWJMS
Sidney Kimmel @ Thomas Jefferson
Loma Linda
Central Michigan
New York Medical College
University of Maryland
University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill
University of Minnesota
Brown University (Warren Alpert Medical School)
Stony Brook
Morehouse

Add more realistic schools/Take away unrealistic expectations?

For DO schools, I would remove MSUCOM since they give heavy preference to in-state applicants plus their OOS tuition is about $80,000 per year, very high. UNECOM also has heavy regional preference so you should scratch that out.

I recommend you remove Morehouse and Loma Linda unless you meet the mission for those schools since they are both mission based schools. Read up on their missions. I recommend you remove Brown since it's too much of a reach for you, very unlikely they will accept you. You are applying to several state schools too, make sure they accept a good percentage of OOS/International applicants.

Make sure you turn in your AMCAS and AACOMAS in early June 2015. Turn in all your MD secondaries by July 31 2015 and all your DO secondaries by Aug 31 2015.

I will let others here give their suggestions for additional schools and any other improvements.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess you may be right on the part where me being an international student dosn't qualify me as a NJ resident, but I would have to disagree with you on the part where schools don't accept international students. I have kept in touch with admissions staff from various schools, and have repeatedly told them that I am an international student, and they seemed to have no problems with that!

It's rough because many schools that accept international students accept either 0 to 1 student per year. There are only a handful of them that accept more than 5 per year. Also, have you checked to see how many of those schools actually matriculated an international student? Morehouse has 0. Univ of Maryland has 1. I would focus on DO schools rather than MD schools because you have to be extremely competitive to get into an MD school as an international student.

Here's a list of the schools that accept MD students. http://premedusa.blogspot.com/2014/06/US-Medical-Schools-for-Internationals-Updated.html

Last edited:
It's rough because many schools that accept international students accept either 0 to 1 student per year. There are only a handful of them that accept more than 5 per year. Also, have you checked to see how many of those schools actually matriculated an international student? Morehouse has 0. Univ of Maryland has 1. I would focus on DO schools rather than MD schools because you have to be extremely competitive to get into an MD school as an international student.

Here's a list of the schools that accept MD students. http://premedusa.blogspot.com/2014/06/US-Medical-Schools-for-Internationals-Updated.html

That is an excellent list! Thank you very much for that! Is there a similar webpage for DO schools?

Concentrate on DO schools and add another 10 or more to your application.

could you recommend some DO schools for me? SOme schools that fit some or all of the preferences mentioned above? Thanks!

Check if Liberty (a DO school) accepts international applicants. If so, I think you have a good chance there.

Check if Liberty (a DO school) accepts international applicants. If so, I think you have a good chance there.

No they don't unfortunately. what do you think about campbell or CCOM?