Chances? MD 3.95 cGPA, 3.90 sGPA, 28 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobateater212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking for your opinions on my chances at MD schools. I'm a FL resident and have pretty good ECs and LORs. But as you can see, my MCAT is pretty low.

I haven't heard back from any of my schools for 6 weeks! Is this normal for someone with my stats? Will I get even a single interview?? :confused:

Here are the schools I applied to (complete late August):

UM
UF
USF
UCF
FSU
FIU
FAU
Drexel
Tempel
Brody
Oakland
NYU
Georgetown
George Washington
Vanderbilt
Duke
Baylor

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You applied relatively late for someone with a 28. Things could go either way due to the high GPA. If you don't have solid EC, I'd say you're looking at the likely possibility of having to re-apply next season.

You might look through the thread about interviews for 27-29 MCAT applicants, but agreeing with the poster above, I also think you might need to re-take the MCAT if necessary. Prepare for the worst, just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you complete secondaries by late august?? I'm in the same boat as you. 3.82 GPA, 30 MCAT (got 28 first time) and i'm still completing secondaries lol

I'd forget about Vandy, Brody, NYU, UM, Duke and Baylor with that MCAT score, but you're in strking distance for the FL schools and the low-tiers on your list. Add NovaCOM and PCOM-Bradenton to your list as they're in your backyard.

Hey guys,
I'm looking for your opinions on my chances at MD schools. I'm a FL resident and have pretty good ECs and LORs. But as you can see, my MCAT is pretty low.

I haven't heard back from any of my schools for 6 weeks! Is this normal for someone with my stats? Will I get even a single interview?? :confused:

Here are the schools I applied to (complete late August):

UF
USF
UCF
FSU
FIU
FAU
Drexel
Tempel
Oakland
Georgetown
George Washington

Thank you!

How much longer will I have to wait? I've been complete since late August. This is ridiculous. 2 rejections, 2 holds (that I know of).

If your rejections or holds are from Florida, that's bad. If October passes and no interview invites, that's when to worry. You'll have to retake the MCAT for next year. Don't think it's as easy as just re-applying early. You need to make that application shinier and the only real way is with a higher MCAT. I would recommend applying to Nova and LECOM-B, but I don't know if you'll entertain Osteopathic Medicine.

If your rejections or holds are from Florida, that's bad. If October passes and no interview invites, that's when to worry. You'll have to retake the MCAT for next year. Don't think it's as easy as just re-applying early. You need to make that application shinier and the only real way is with a higher MCAT. I would recommend applying to Nova and LECOM-B, but I don't know if you'll entertain Osteopathic Medicine.

No rejections or holds from FL schools.