PhD/PsyD Chances of acceptance after PsyD interview with Pacific University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bryan91

PsyD Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was recently on a wait list for the Pacific University PsyD program, but I was offered an interview day. What are my chances of being accepted after the interview process? How should I prepare For the interview.? I am quite nervous. I have a set of questions that will possibly come up during the interview prepared and some questions to ask already.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're willing to pay the tuition, probably pretty good. But seriously, no way of knowing. We don't know your stats. We don't know the stats of Pacific (how many applicants vs how many are accepted. We don't know how you interview, etc. We could throw out a number, but it wouldn't be accurate at all.

Here are the Psy.D. program's admissions stats for the 2013 incoming class:

2013 Entering Class Statistics
Approximate number of students matriculating 57
Number of students applying 200
Age range of incoming students19-48
Average undergraduate GPA 3.4
Average graduate GPA (if applicable) 3.8
Average GRE Verbal (200-800 Scale)550
Average GRE Verbal (130-170 Scale)156
Average GRE Quantitative (200-800 Scale)630
Average GRE Quantitative (130-170 Scale)150
Average GRE Analytic Writing 4.1
In-state students31.5%
Out-of-state students68.2%

(hopefully the formating of the table doesn't get destroyed)

Based on these data, it looks like they admit approximately 1/4 of all applicants (or rather, that approximately 1/4 matriculate, which is quite possibly a smaller number than the number of students actually offered admission). Thus, if your stats are comparable to the averages here, your odds of getting in seem pretty good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're willing to pay the tuition, probably pretty good. But seriously, no way of knowing. We don't know your stats. We don't know the stats of Pacific (how many applicants vs how many are accepted. We don't know how you interview, etc. We could throw out a number, but it wouldn't be accurate at all.
Yeah the tuition us ridiculous but I just dont have any other options ATM. I currently have 3.3 with mediocre GRE score but I have a strong research/employment history( interning and teaching) history and recommendations. But as far as the statistics I know roughly 20-25% are accepted and I am little below average.

Here are the Psy.D. program's admissions stats for the 2013 incoming class:

(hopefully the formating of the table doesn't get destroyed)

Based on these data, it looks like they admit approximately 1/4 of all applicants (or rather, that approximately 1/4 matriculate, which is quite possibly a smaller number than the number of students actually offered admission). Thus, if your stats are comparable to the averages here, your odds of getting in seem pretty good.

Yup Thats what I noticed as well. I guess I'm trying to figure out is on average after an interview how likely are you to get accepted? Whether it be a bad or good interview process.

Yeah the tuition us ridiculous but I just dont have any other options ATM. I currently have 3.3 with mediocre GRE score but I have a strong research/employment history( interning and teaching) history and recommendations. But as far as the statistics I know roughly 20-25% are accepted and I am little below average.

Honestly, you might be better off waiting a year or two (if possible) to gather more research experience and/or earn a masters. Their outcome data aren't particularly impressive (e.g., consistently <50% of students obtain APA-accredited internships) which, when combined with the large sticker price (circa $30k/year) and class sizes, could mean that you would receive much stronger training elsewhere.

As for your post-interview chances, no clue there. I'd imagine your shot has to be better than 25%, as I couldn't see them interviewing all ~200 folks who apply, but it's anyone's guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, you might be better off waiting a year or two (if possible) to gather more research experience and/or earn a masters. Their outcome data aren't particularly impressive (e.g., consistently <50% of students obtain APA-accredited internships) which, when combined with the large sticker price (circa $30k/year) and class sizes, could mean that you would receive much stronger training elsewhere.

As for your post-interview chances, no clue there. I'd imagine your shot has to be better than 25%, as I couldn't see them interviewing all ~200 folks who apply, but it's anyone's guess.

I see, I did think about the internship and looked at previous students explanation for why it was so low and found that students from PU only want to stay in Oregon or Washington and as a result, they dont obtain the right internship. I plan on taking any offer that comes my way that is APA accredited. Class sizes are roughly 25 or less. However, I am worried about the training aspect tho. Currently I am trying to gain a spot in a forensic psychology lab but if I'm not accepted into it I'll be screwed. Thanks for the help

I see, I did think about the internship and looked at previous students explanation for why it was so low and found that students from PU only want to stay in Oregon or Washington and as a result, they dont obtain the right internship. I plan on taking any offer that comes my way that is APA accredited. Class sizes are roughly 25 or less. However, I am worried about the training aspect tho. Currently I am trying to gain a spot in a forensic psychology lab but if I'm not accepted into it I'll be screwed. Thanks for the help
Well, that's the rub. It will be fairly difficult to get that APA accredited internship going there. And, you said your stats are fairly low in undergrad. Places look at undergrad transcripts when choosing interns. I'd go the route of trying to get into a Masters program, working your butt off, and then applying for PhD programs.

Plenty of other choices, my friend. Never invest 200k on a decision you are only eh about. This choice only affects you for the rest of your life....

Related to this, I was speaking to incoming class sizes, not the sizes of courses (not sure to which you were referring). 50+ folks matriculating is pretty huge, especially considering most/all traditional programs have maybe 5-10 matriculate. This results in fewer advisory resources and practicum opportunities for each individual student.

And part of my thinking re: the internship is that this should be something the program is actively discouraging. APA-accreditation is generally for the betterment of the field, and by allowing >50% of students to forego such training is, in my opinion, not in the best interests of psychology as a whole.

Related to this, I was speaking to incoming class sizes, not the sizes of courses (not sure to which you were referring). 50+ folks matriculating is pretty huge, especially considering most/all traditional programs have maybe 5-10 matriculate. This results in fewer advisory resources and practicum opportunities for each individual student.

And part of my thinking re: the internship is that this should be something the program is actively discouraging. APA-accreditation is generally for the betterment of the field, and by allowing >50% of students to forego such training is, in my opinion, not in the best interests of psychology as a whole.

Ah yes, I misunderstood. At PU they have 4 special track fields of research (kind of like a PhD program), I am currently talking with a professor about attempting to join her lab. If I get it, I will not have to worry about mentorship/advisor problems. As for the internships, I see your point in the matter, and I wish the outcome itself was better and it has worrisome, I will have to bring it up during the interview process as a QOI

The internship match process should be more than worrisome. It severely limits your ability to find employment in the future. Without a job it will be hard to pay off that 200k+ in loans you will rack up. If this is the only choice, you will be better off financially and career-wise if you want and apply to funded programs next year.

Students are encouraged to apply to APA sites, but many of them find APPIC acceptable. The phase I match rate this year was 95%.

I had interviews at competitive sites for neuro including Baltimore va consortium. I matched to competitive APA neuro site with APPCN postdoc. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. Our neuro students have matched to Ann Arbor VA, Vanderbilt consortium, and Kennedy Krieger. Neuro students attend medical school at ohsu for 2 months (neurology and psychiatry course w brain cuttings) and we have opportunity to attend monthly case conferences with Muriel Lezak at ohsu.

It is large program with many different paths (generalist, neuro, forensic, Latino/bilingual, child, organizational consulting) so it is difficult to look at it as a whole. You should ask about specific track outcomes. You can PM me with any specific questions.

Also - there are only 3 people accepted onto my track each year and I have never had difficulty meeting with faculty, including non-neuro staff.

The forensic track has 3 professors and I believe there are approximately 6 students admitted each year. A little bigger than neuro track, but forensic students have even more contact w profs than we do.

It is a long program and a lot of work (and yes, a lOT of money). I encourage you to go to the interview and see if it seems like a good fit for you. It may not be and that's okay. You can always gain more experience and apply to different programs next year. Every program has pros and cons. Just make sure to take the time to carefully decide what would be best for you in long run.

Students are encouraged to apply to APA sites, but many of them find APPIC acceptable. The phase I match rate this year was 95%.

I had interviews at competitive sites for neuro including Baltimore va consortium. I matched to competitive APA neuro site with APPCN postdoc. If you have questions, feel free to PM me. Our neuro students have matched to Ann Arbor VA, Vanderbilt consortium, and Kennedy Krieger. Neuro students attend medical school at ohsu for 2 months (neurology and psychiatry course w brain cuttings) and we have opportunity to attend monthly case conferences with Muriel Lezak at ohsu.

It is large program with many different paths (generalist, neuro, forensic, Latino/bilingual, child, organizational consulting) so it is difficult to look at it as a whole. You should ask about specific track outcomes. You can PM me with any specific questions.
Thank you for your reply. I replied to your PM. Hopefully I will attain a spot in a track field, if I attend PU

I plan on taking any offer that comes my way that is APA accredited.

Just FYI, you don't accept internship offers. You rank places and they try to match you to your top choice.

I can tell you it is true

This year we had many more students who were open to moving out of state, which I believe is reflected in the match rate. Many students are non- traditional and have children and partners with established careers. Plus portland is a great place to live.

I forgot to mention we have 3-4 students and new, non accredited DOC internships and a handful of students at new VAs too. That is not reflected in the stats cited above.

There are very few APA internships in Oregon. Many former students return to Portland to complete residency.

I am not claiming the program is perfect. I am just trying to provide the original poster with information about program outcomes that might otherwise be lost in the statistics that were cited.

Again, we are actually encouraged to apply nationally to APA sites by the training directors and faculty at the school. Some students for whatever personal reason apply locally or choose to apply to APPIC internships.

Last edited: