DO Chances of DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Archdukes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off thanks to everyone for all the great information on this forum! I'm a non-trad student that graduated with a 2.9 gpa back in 2007. For the past year I have done my own post back taking additional biology and chemistry courses.My current cum/sci gpa is 3.05/3.05. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but will this August. I'm also open to a SMP program. What are my chances of D.O. school? Also any advice would be appreciated such as what score I'd need on the MCAT to have a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

First off thanks to everyone for all the great information on this forum! I'm a non-trad student that graduated with a 2.9 gpa back in 2007. For the past year I have done my own post back taking additional biology and chemistry courses.My current cum/sci gpa is 3.05/3.05. I haven't taken the MCAT yet but will this August. I'm also open to a SMP program. What are my chances of D.O. school? Also any advice would be appreciated such as what score I'd need on the MCAT to have a chance.
Good work getting both those numbers over 3.0. I would say (others will disagree) that you'd need the equivalent of low 30s to be somewhat confident of admission. Less than that would be a crapshoot -- basically your MCAT and recent course history would need to convince the committee that you can handle the volume of med school information. Did your homegrown post-bacc include retakes? I would focus on taking a few more of those before/during this application season.
Be sure to focus on the newer DO schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply johnamo. None of the courses were retakes. I will be retaking both gen chem courses since I have a c+ in both. Also LMU Debusk is my school of choice but I'm not sure if that's considered a new school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply johnamo. None of the courses were retakes. I will be retaking both gen chem courses since I have a c+ in both. Also LMU Debusk is my school of choice but I'm not sure if that's considered a new school.
Do you know where your GPA might be after those retakes? If you can do well, replacing two C+ will likely make a significant difference in your sGPA.

DCOM is a relatively new school and their average MCAT has historically floated around 24-25 if I remember correctly. Assuming you have all the bits and pieces like shadowing, volunteer work, good letters, etc... If you have compelling essays and a decent MCAT of ~28 I think you'll have a good shot at DCOM after those retakes. However, I don't know much about the school so hopefully someone else can chime in!

Last edited:
Do you know where your GPA might be after those retakes? If you can do well, replacing two C+ will likely make a significant difference in your sGPA.

DCOM is a relatively new school and their average MCAT has historically floated around 24-25 if I remember correctly. Assuming you have all the bits and pieces like shadowing, volunteer work, good letters, etc... If you have compelling essays and a decent MCAT of ~28 I think you'll have a good shot at DCOM after those retakes. However, I don't know much about the school so hopefully someone else can chime in!

If I retake both gen chems: cum/sci 3.12/3.2

If I retake both gen chems: cum/sci 3.12/3.2
Well, that's excellent then... and could make a big difference. Of course this is all getting a bit ahead of yourself since you still have the retakes and MCAT in front of you, but your overall chances are very good with a 3.2 sGPA and a decent MCAT.