Higher sGPA than cGPA, chances of acceptance into DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

celen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Long time reader, first time posting. Just wanted to know what you guys think are my chances of getting into DO school? I have a 3.15 cGPa and a 3.31 sGPA. I took the science classes more seriously, and got stupid grades that brought down my cumulative. I have two more prereqs left, where I have the chance of raising my cGPA to 3.18 and my science to 3.35. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, but could a 515 for example, get me an acceptance? I have nice extracurriculars, am a personal trainer, have worked in the medical field a lot. Have been a certified American Red Cross translator, etc. Just need more shadowing hours. I am a Latino immigrant (but an American citizen).

Just wanted to get some opinions since I know normally people have higher cumulative GPA’s. I thought for sure I’d have to do an SMP but maybe I don’t have to?

I appreciate any thoughts and wish you guys luck in your endeavors as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Long time reader, first time posting. Just wanted to know what you guys think are my chances of getting into DO school? I have a 3.15 cGPa and a 3.31 sGPA. I took the science classes more seriously, and got stupid grades that brought down my cumulative. I have two more prereqs left, where I have the chance of raising my cGPA to 3.18 and my science to 3.35. I haven’t taken the MCAT yet, but could a 515 for example, get me an acceptance? I have nice extracurriculars, am a personal trainer, have worked in the medical field a lot. Have been a certified American Red Cross translator, etc. Just need more shadowing hours. I am a Latino immigrant (but an American citizen).

Just wanted to get some opinions since I know normally people have higher cumulative GPA’s. I thought for sure I’d have to do an SMP but maybe I don’t have to?

I appreciate any thoughts and wish you guys luck in your endeavors as well.
I think with an MCAT around 505 you should be competitive. Higher, around 510, you might want to throw an app to your state MD school. Others on this forum can provide excellent school lists once you have an MCAT score. If you are really interested in DO, shadow one and get a LOR. Good luck and best wishes!

Unless you have a hook, with a sgpa of 3.38 and MCAT of 515, you have a 50% chance for MD if you apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you have a hook, with a sgpa of 3.38 and MCAT of 515, you have a 50% chance for MD if you apply broadly.
Oh wow, yeah I’ll definitely apply broadly. What is hook?

Oh wow, yeah I’ll definitely apply broadly. What is hook?
URM, military service, olypic or D1 athlete, concert violinist/pianist/etc.., amazing service to the underserved community and/or similar ECs. Your state school will also give you the best shot if you are from a lucky state.

My good friend had a 3.2 GPA and 505 MCAT and got his acceptance to DO school last month. He applied within 3 days of application opening. Dont count yourself out! I personally did an SMP. My uGPA WAS 2.99 or 3.00. SMP degre 3.87. Good luck!