This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RSSBDOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergrad: Penn State University
Ethnicity: Asian (Indian)
Stats:
3.40 cGPA
3.44 sGPA

Volunteering hours: 200
Shadowing hours: 80
Community service hours: 1,300
Mcat: 520

Hi, I just wanted to know my chances of getting into a MD school in the US with my stats. Some people are telling me it may not be possible to get into a MD school because of my low GPA. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Strong chance, apply broadly. People telling you this, have no idea how the process works.

520 mcat is killer.

The GPA-MCAT grid shows that Asian applicants with your stats have a 67% chance of a MD acceptance. Where is your state of residence?

Members don't see this ad :)
Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median GPAS are closest to your own.

Pay very careful attention to the Acceptance Information pages.

Your best bet will be with your state MD school.

Have DO schools to your list. Your GPAs are 0.3 points below the median for MD schools. Rising GPA trends always help, though.

Undergrad: Penn State University
Ethnicity: Asian (Indian)
Stats:
3.40 cGPA
3.44 sGPA

Volunteering hours: 200
Shadowing hours: 80
Community service hours: 1,300
Mcat: 520

Hi, I just wanted to know my chances of getting into a MD school in the US with my stats. Some people are telling me it may not be possible to get into a MD school because of my low GPA. What do you guys think?

MSAR will answer your questions for school lists. Here are the types of schools I would focus on.

1) State schools. If you are a PA resident, include all schools except the two top 20 ones
2) Focus on schools that get <10k apps.
3) Focus on schools where the MCAT median is also roughly around 33-35. Just like aiming too high and throwing the Harvard's and Yale's of the world isnt going to do anything for you, aiming "too low" per se and loading up your list with the GW's and RFU's of the world who dont interview many people historically with such a high MCAT score isnt going to get you more interviews. School types like Miami and Cincinnati are your best bet in all likelihood OOS.
4) Youd be a good SMP candidate. Id use that as a backup for if you arent successful next cycle. If you apply to a good list of the best school types for you, I think youll get IIs without including DO schools.

Last edited: