This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ieropt

Reaction score
Hi! I will be applying in a few weeks when the application opens for the 2018-2019 cycle, and just wanted to get some opinions on where I stand.
I just finished my third year at OSU with a cumulative GPA of 3.49, and got a 350 (88th percentile) on my OAT.
I have approximately 100 hours of shadowing, with experience in charting and pre-testing during all shadowing experiences. I have shadowed mainly optometrists, but also have worked with some opticians and ophthalmologists.
I'm concerned that my lack of actual work experience in the field will be bad on my application, but I have worked at the same job for the past 6 years, progressively getting promotions, and am currently in a leadership role at my job. I have also picked up a second job for the past 3 years. The reason I did not branch out into the optometry field for work yet is because I am trying to work as much as I can at my current jobs to save money for optometry school. Is that something that an interview committee would understand, or should I have started working in field earlier?
Also, my extracurricular activities are not super strong...I have been a member of the pre-optometry club since my freshman year, and briefly joined a Russian club but really did not see it as a good fit for me. I also don't have volunteer hours because I've spent most of my free time working.
My letters of recommendation should be pretty strong - a science professor and advisor that I have been close with and also worked with for several years, and an optometrist who I have shadowed for the past two years.

I am planning on applying to:
The Ohio State University College of Optometry
Illinois College of Optometry
Midwstern University - Chicago College of Optometry (Downer's Grove Campus)
Southern College of Optometry
SALUS

Opinions?
Thank you so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me out!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA and OAT will get you interviews for sure. You shouldn’t worry about your work experience at all. Just prepare for your interviews and you will more than likely get accepted. Good luck.

Your GPA and OAT will get you interviews for sure. You shouldn’t worry about your work experience at all. Just prepare for your interviews and you will more than likely get accepted. Good luck.
thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't be a weirdo at your interviews and you should be good.

Reactions: 2 users
Great stats! What did you use to study for the oat?

Yes! So far I applied to UMSL, ICO, SALUS, OSU, and CCO. I’m interviewing at OSU on Friday!
Taking my OAT 8/6 and I’m so nervous. Congrats on getting an interview. Good luck.

Taking my OAT 8/6 and I’m so nervous. Congrats on getting an interview. Good luck.
Thank you and good luck to you too! I found that the best thing to do is just relax as much as you can the night before and just go into it as calm as possible.