Chances of getting into medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deanne8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.32 GPA with a BS in biology. I started off college working full time and commuting and it lowered my GPA tremendously. However, I have shown improvement from sophomore to senior year. I was not very motivated my first year because I had no future plans after college until I decided to pursue medical school during junior year. With medical school in mind, I later became one of the top students in my science classes with 4.0 in my biochem classes, upper division biology, and physics. My extracurricular activities includes, 3 years as a childlife volunteer at Seattle Children's Hospital, 3 years of tutoring/ leading health workshops at a women/children homeless shelter, and 1 year of being an officer for my university's pre-health volunteer service club. I have also TA'd for a biology course. I have letters of rec from an MD/medical physiology professor, my developmental biology professor, physics professor, as well as letters from the places I volunteer. I am currently studying for my MCATs. But it has been difficult due to the lack of confidence I have for myself, mainly because of my low GPA. If anyone could give me some advice or words of motivation, that would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

We really can't advise without an MCAT score. Without a competitive MCAT score other factors don't mean much. With a MCAT >30 you could be competitive. The higher the better.

Hang in there. Study hard for the mcats and focus on doing well. You seem to have a lot under your belt. I think you should be fine.