Chances of Hem-onc match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonkD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently in the process of applying this year for Hem-onc
There is a few concerning thing for match though, I am wondering if anyone can shed light on it.

I am an FMG graduated residency from a small university program in 2011.
Went for hospitalist in small community hospital for visa support. Now have greencard after waiver.
During the 4 years, I earned a MPH degree from UW and currently doing MBA.
I have 2 first-author paper, 6 other research papers, 4 case reports published, about 10 posters in various meetings.
I will have letters from Johns Hopkins(did a rotation there) , UW, My previous residency Hemonc director(And I know my chances will be great here but our program was kind of not what I wanted)

What do you think my chances of matching into a good program?
My biggest concern is years after residency. I am currently 4 years out due to visa, is this really going to slow me down?

My hope is UW since I live in the area. But that is such a good program. I don't have high hopes.
My actual focus is on clinical hemonc so I don't die for top tier programs. Realistically, Karmanos(Henry ford/Wayne state) in Detroit would be a good place for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have strong background. If you are dedicated to work for it, You can get into it. Maybe not UW, but so many good programs anywhere else.