Chances Slim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drewdrewpewpew

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you definitely have a chance, especially since you have an extreme upward trend. As long as you address the situation in your PS and are open and honest I don't see why you shouldn't get an acceptance somewhere! I would recommend applying to Howard too given that you are an URM. I know a few dentists who graduated from there and it's a great school PLUS their average GPA acceptance is slightly lower which could be to your advantage.

Keep your chin up- you've got this! :)

- Haha I will be applying wide and broad - that is for sure - as well as submitting my app in on June 1st on the dot! I need every miracle I can get :)

Members don't see this ad :)
- Haha I will be applying wide and broad - that is for sure - as well as submitting my app in on June 1st on the dot! I need every miracle I can get :)
I think you have a decent chance! Just be aware of the specific requirements of each school and get those documents prepared in advance.

Other than Howard , I think you should also apply to meharry, which also favors URM. Good luck !

The community service work you have done is huge! I myself have below average GPA and an upward trend but I have great community service which allows you to kill your interviews as well

cyx - Meharry and Howard I will definitely be applying to! I hope I have a chance - aside from those to hbcu's - you think I have a chance?

cyx - Meharry and Howard I will definitely be applying to! I hope I have a chance - aside from those to hbcu's - you think I have a chance?
I have a 2.96 Overall a 3.1 bcp and got a 22 on my DAT i have 4 interviews. I also started an organization in the city of detroit that fundraises money to renovate homes for low income and disabled home owners. We have similar applications. Write a BALLER personal statement on the experience of your community service. Contact schools, worse comes to worse you do a 1 year bmp and get a 4.0 you will be in forsure after that if it doesnt work out this time. I also submitted my app on June 9th. Plan to have one on one meetings with the admissions directors of the schools you want to attend and literally say, I am willing to do anything to get in, just tell me what I need to do. Then go ahead and do it. Keep pushing my friend, many schools will admire your community service apply to asdoh and indiana and udm. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I started off horribly also. Left school, came back, transferred schools, took a semester off.. finished last 5 semesters with a 3.778.. 5 interviews.... just keep working as hard as you can

Strong upward trend, great DAT, good EC, a unique life story, and most importantly....dedication, commitment, and drive. I truly respect and value your commitment to dentistry despite your adversity. It says a lot about you and your character. If you keep up the hard work, I definitely see you having a good shot.

Best of luck with everything!

Reactions: 1 user
Also if anyone knows any schools that would be friendly in my situation I would appreciate it - I am applying to my instate school as well as Meharry and Howard - But I feel like 3 schools is too little - please offer thoughts as to where I should apply - i would truly appreciate it

I also had a lowish gpa (failed 1-2 quarters in undergrad) and Roseman, UDM, and NOVA seemed to be forgiving of it (received interviews)-bear in mind I applied rather late. My friends with similar/slightly lower stats also received interviews from UDM and Roseman. Your ECs are there but I'm just concerned about that sgpa since idk the exact gpa cut off for schools :/ I'm sure if you apply broadly and early some schools will give you a shot.

How heavily is GPA trend considered when applying?

How heavily is GPA trend considered when applying?
Depends, if your GPA is high, I doubt it'll matter if it's a bad trend, if it's low (near 3.0 range) it becomes somewhat of a requirement. If it's in the middle, it couldn't hurt to have a good trend.

Also if anyone knows any schools that would be friendly in my situation I would appreciate it - I am applying to my instate school as well as Meharry and Howard - But I feel like 3 schools is too little - please offer thoughts as to where I should apply - i would truly appreciate it

The only thing slimming your chances is that you have applied so late. With your heritage and a 23 DAT score you will be highly sought after. Your upward trend shows that you have rededicated yourself to your education and your ECs are outstanding! You should apply to alot of schools, I believe you will absolutely be accepted somewhere this cycle.

I think (s)he's applying next cycle (planning on submitting June 1st).

Last edited:
Apply to NYU as well. They are very big on community outreach and would absolutely love all of your community service. Plus they like to see huge upward trends and personal growth and all.