Checklist for Freshman-Senior DO PreMed Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AquariusBaby

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
*** If this isnt something you did please move on because i know i can use a notebook but thats not what im wanting to do***

Does anyone have a checklist on things they should do year by year? That you can check off as you do them, and/or a a form for you to put shadowing hours/volunteer hours to keep track of?
Has anyone made a binder with all this stuff? If so pics? Im trying to be as organised during this as possible! If you have these forms ill hapilly give my email if it can be sent! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. I would change your profile picture for anonymity
2. Just keep a notebook or something you don't need a big put together thing. I literally just had a word document.

Right now focus on doing well in school and building an application that can get you a chance into medical school. It isn't an easy road by any means. Best of luck

1. I would change your profile picture for anonymity
2. Just keep a notebook or something you don't need a big put together thing. I literally just had a word document.

Right now focus on doing well in school and building an application that can get you a chance into medical school. It isn't an easy road by any means. Best of luck

Thanks but i do better with "big put together things" i did amazing in nursing school by doing things like this, and yes there is a big difference, but this is me and thats why im asking if others have if not no biggie but for me id like something like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks but i do better with "big put together things" i did amazing in nursing school by doing things like this, and yes there is a big difference, but this is me and thats why im asking if others have if not no biggie but for me id like something like this.
Okay just trying to offer advice from my position as someone who's gone through the process.

sorry for trying to help ya...appreciate the curt response though

All I'm saying is that there isn't a magic formula and you need the grades and the rest of the application before you even get to think about applying. More kids drop pre-med than any other major. Best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Okay just trying to offer advice from my position as someone who's gone through the process.

sorry for trying to help ya...appreciate the curt response though

All I'm saying is that there isn't a magic formula and you need the grades and the rest of the application before you even get to think about applying. More kids drop pre-med than any other major. Best of luck
And i appreciate the advice! I sure wasnt trying to come across as curt. That i do know which why i was asking for a checklisr to breakdown what i should do to not forget anything for applying or rushing to get it done:)

And i appreciate the advice! I sure wasnt trying to come across as curt. That i do know which why i was asking for a checklisr to breakdown what i should do to not forget anything for applying or rushing to get it done:)

don't really have a list that I used for you, but this is a start. maybe take this and add it to a document and add your own spin to it.

LOR's - get at least one every year. use interfolio. 2 science and 1 non science. check to see if you school has a committee letter if you have to get it. follow their rules if you do. pick a class you will rock, go to every office hour. dont be annoying. be respectful. have quality questions prepared. make sure they know your name and face. have a letter writter packet prepared that you hand them when the time comes. having your academic resume and work resume. have the amcas letter writers guide on what med schools want from lors and a thank you letter signed.

Clinical Volunteer - start asap as freshman. find something that you like and is unique. make yourself stand out. continue every year for continuity.

Non Clinical Volunteer - start asap as a freshman and find something that you like and is unique. make yourself stand out. continue every year for continuity.

Leadership - start asap as freshman and find something that you like and is unique. make yourself stand out. continue every year for continuity.

Shadowing - shadow 1 new physician every year for freshman, sophomore and junior. Maybe 50 hours each one. try and get a family practice, internal med, and some specialty. pick 1 physician and do extra with them, and get an lor from them. you're a nurse so you probably have good connects with doctors anyways, so just use that for the lor if its better.

Research - look into at end of 2nd year to start in the 3rd year. don't worry about publishing, try and get a poster. most schools do poster days.

remember, grades and mcat are very important. if you feel them slipping back off on all the extra stuff. every school barks the holistic review, but they lie, mcat and gpa > all else.

Also, if you want to pm me your email I have an excel document that I used to track all of my activities with hours and contact info and stuff that I can send to you. Don’t have anything for what you should do every year other than what I said above.

Also, if you want to pm me your email I have an excel document that I used to track all of my activities with hours and contact info and stuff that I can send to you. Don’t have anything for what you should do every year other than what I said above.
It wont allow me to PM you first....