Choosing a residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrSunny1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I'm sure this has beat to death but I can seem to find an honest answer. Only anecdotally "there was the one doc who made xxx millions per year." Are there any family medicine docs who have just finished their residency and started a private practice that can chime in on how much they are earning NET income please no gross income stories for the 1st year - 10th year? disclaimer: I am entirely in this profession because I want to help people live better lives and that including myself. Please no stories about the 75 year old doctor seeing cash only patients in the uppity uppity burbs obviously that will not be me. My patient population would be probably 70/30 medicaid/medicare. Please include hours worked weekly: If you are earning 300,000k per year net and working 100+ hours per week that is important to know. Volume of patients seen would also be nice to know.

Members don't see this ad.

There are companies like Medscape that do annual salary surveys you can look at. You won't make xxx millions. You'll probably be somewhere close to $200k (plus or minus) because that's average. And you'll be working lots of hours in the beginning years to "pay your dues" because that's how life works, so whatever these surveys say average is, add 10-20 hours a week to that for the initial years.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response! I assume that 200k is the average gross income. I am curious to know how a family doc has or will fare for next 10-20 years net income with medicaid/medicare only net income and hours worked.

There are companies like Medscape that do annual salary surveys you can look at. You won't make xxx millions. You'll probably be somewhere close to $200k (plus or minus) because that's average. And you'll be working lots of hours in the beginning years to "pay your dues" because that's how life works, so whatever these surveys say average is, add 10-20 hours a week to that for the initial years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious to know how a family doc has or will fare for next 10-20 years net income with medicaid/medicare only net income and hours worked.
Impossible to predict. If you figure out an algorithm to do so, please PM me so I can impress my former econ professors.

Future physician compensation threads are getting old.