Class of 2008.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

busted

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering the first semester for class 2008 is about to end or has ended for some of us. I wanted to how the first semester has gone for everyone.

NYU: Its been pretty much what i expected! Lots a work but managable :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

busted said:
Considering the first semester for class 2008 is about to end or has ended for some of us. I wanted to how the first semester has gone for everyone.

NYU: Its been pretty much what i expected! Lots a work but managable :cool:

Same here. Not too bad, lots of caffeine.

Not too bad, classes weren't too bad, except for histology lab, i couldn't stand that worthless part of school.

Labs were pretty good, i enjoyed them for the most part (except for waxing in 4 colors), but i think i'm gonna have to refer out all premolars. So far i can't cut a decent prep on #20 or #29 to save my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not bad at all....no more difficult than undergrad, just a few more classes, so I study a tad bit more. It is way more fun than undergrad, the lab classes are a lot of fun IMO. Although we had a lot of BS boring classes this semester it will only get better and more relavant to dentistry next semester. I love this profession.

Busted, you found it ok? I thought it was tons of work ansd studying but maybe cuz I over do it =)

The content is like in undergrad but the density is WAY greater. Next semester is gonna be even tougher I hear...bring it on!

EHA DDS said:
Busted, you found it ok? I thought it was tons of work ansd studying but maybe cuz I over do it =)

The content is like in undergrad but the density is WAY greater. Next semester is gonna be even tougher I hear...bring it on!

you really only have two killer classes.. Anatomy and physiology

The work load is not bad except for those two...I usually study 2 days before exams but those classes took a good solid week...oh memories

no wonder i was missing something - coffee!
i made it thru my first quarter without coffee.
wow, what an achievement.

but sch is harder than i thought. wont fall behind any more.

This semester wasn't too bad. I kept up with the material, and I think that was the major factor in my 4.0. I was really excited, but kind of surprised considering I have only had a handful of them my entire college career. I hear next semester is easier so that's good....

Congrats to all that got through this fall with no major self injuries!! ;)

ok 1st semester is over. thank god. when i 1st started i really thought i was gonna die with the amount of studying we had to do. classes werent hard, but just the fact that we had sooooo much to do in very little time made it hard for me. i studied my ass off early on and did ok until i felt i was burnt out. then at that point i just stopped caring about awesome grades and just wanted to survive as i have no desire to specialize. so i studied as much as i had to pass my classes. results?

mostly all B's except for one class (Dental Materials) which was the most useless and boring class i have EVER had. i used that (2 hr) class to get cought up on my sleep.lol. to break it down, we had:

Ethics and critical thinking: Boooooooring but not too bad. did well.
History: Boooooooring but not too bad. did well.
Anatomy+lab: hard and went fast. one month. did ok but not as well as i wanted to.
Tooth morph: loved it. lost of wax up. easy. did very well.
Dental Material: boring. hated it. passed but my lowest grade ever.
Gnathology: hard but managable. did just ok. it was boring.
molecular cell bio: toughest class. lots to learn and hard work. did ok.
histology: not hard at all. sorta boring but not bad. did well.
single tooth dir: awesome. loved it. did well.
PB Damn ILLL: just stupid. hate it. will always do. did well.

there you go. hope you guys did well.

Houston was pretty friggin tough. We had 12 classes, so you can imagine how many hours we had to put into our studies :(

What is Gnathology...i know gnathos is from the Greek for jaw...so is that what Indiana calls occlusion?

EHA DDS said:
What is Gnathology...i know gnathos is from the Greek for jaw...so is that what Indiana calls occlusion?

YEP. occlusion. not a fun class.

I think biomaterials was worse than occlusion...gamma phase, shmamma phase...

Members don't see this ad :)
im a d1 at stony brook and i thinki it has been the most challeging and academically abusing experiencing of my life. whoever said that dental school is only a little harder then undergrad in the above post must be joking. i think my experience is not much different from the vast majority of my calssmates who also had an extremely rough and pretty hellish 1st semester.

Reposting...

1st semester @ USC was relaxed. Not much stress at all.

Next semester I wont have case until noon. :sleep:

It was not bad here at Case. I gained extra 15 lbs from eating out and watched more movies than ever this semester..... .. or yeah.. and more extra time for my beauty sleep. Great semester with great grades so far. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

First semester here at Nova wasn't too terribly bad. The course load was a little much, but the material wasn't difficult. I'm a cramer, and the amount of material was definetly cramable. We did have some classes that were a complete waist of time, but it sounds like everyone did. Next semester is going to be a completly differnt story, but i think i can manage.

abogler612 said:
im a d1 at stony brook and i thinki it has been the most challeging and academically abusing experiencing of my life. whoever said that dental school is only a little harder then undergrad in the above post must be joking. i think my experience is not much different from the vast majority of my calssmates who also had an extremely rough and pretty hellish 1st semester.

i agree with you there. the thing to remember is that this is SDN. not the norm. :laugh:

ok now that our precious vacation is near the end, would you post your school name and spring semester? its always amazing to see how school differ in their cur. my 1st semester was a killer but they will make it up to us in spring.

IUSD

-Orofacial Bio 2
-systematic approach to biomedical sciences (physiology basically)
-single tooth indirect
-PBL

god i am gonna love that schedule. feels good not having 10 classes.

U of MN:

Prosthodontics (Lec & Lab)
Professional Problem Solving
Oral Histology
Topics in Dental Biochem
Oral Biology
Physiology
Biomaterials
Physical Evaluation
Neuroscience
Prevention & Oral Health promotion

Not too bad, about the same as last semester, I've heard from upper classmen that this semester is slightly easier than 1st. Looking forward to it.

Nova....

Perio II
Microbiology
Physiology
Operative Dentistry
Occulsion
Neuro Anat.
Biomaterials Lab
VR rotations
Perio clinic rotations

DENS 1502 - Gross Anatomy
DENS 1504 - Neurosciences
DENS 1508 - Oral Histology
DENS 1542 - Physiology II
DEPS 1603 - Dental Anatomy Lab II
DEPS 1603 - Dental Anatomy Lab II, Appendix lab Evaluation Sheets
DEPS 1614 - Operative Dentistry I
DENS 1671 - Biomaterials I: Direct Restorative Materials
DEPS 1901 - Prosthodontics I: Basic Occlusal Concepts

Houston :(

NYU:

Nursing (just kidding)
Gross Anatomy
Organ Systems
Facial Development
Special Topics in Oral Biology
Patient Interaction, Health Screening, and Record taking
Single Tooth Restorations and Biomaterials
Health Promotion: Applications in Patient Care
Skills in Assessing the Professional Literature

QUOTE=psiyung]DENS 1502 - Gross Anatomy
Houston :([/QUOTE]

That's the worst schedule of dental school history I've ever seen. I think compare to you guys @ Houston, we @ UCSF are having a picnic. Eventhough our pros lab has waxing & casting our own gold crown. But having Physio, neuro, & anatomy. Whoa, it sounds like 3 step mothers at the magnitude of Cinderella step mom coming to your house and torture you. I wish you guys @ Houston the best of luck....

tinker bell said:
QUOTE=psiyung]DENS 1502 - Gross Anatomy
Houston :(

That's the worst schedule of dental school history I've ever seen. I think compare to you guys @ Houston, we @ UCSF are having a picnic. Eventhough our pros lab has waxing & casting our own gold crown. But having Physio, neuro, & anatomy. Whoa, it sounds like 3 step mothers at the magnitude of Cinderella step mom coming to your house and torture you. I wish you guys @ Houston the best of luck....[/QUOTE]

This could possible be a picnic compared to last semester. Had 12 friggin classes :(

We'll see how things pan out

UT-Memphis

Neuroanatomy
Gross Anatomy
Biomedical Clinical Conference
Development of Occlusion
Physiology
Fixed Prosthodontics Lecture/Lab
Fundamentals of Dental Occlusion Lecture/Lab
Pathobiology (Continued from Fall)
Operative Dentistry Lecture/Lab (Continued from Fall)
Biomaterials (Continued from Fall)