Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought I was going to like the dermatology section of our SA medicine class, but I think this is the most dreadful topic!!! Cant wait for this to be over!!

Lol seriously.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol seriously.

Least fave medicine topic ever, followed by onco which we just finished.. I used to love medicine but the last two weeks my love has turned into get me to summer already I'm over it !

Derm wasn't my favourite set of lectures but it is really important if you're going into general practice. A huge percent of my appointments are skin and ears. Onco was interesting but less useful in day to day life. I especially hated the exam, we got asked a lot about prognoses and survival percentages.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Derm wasn't my favourite set of lectures but it is really important if you're going into general practice. A huge percent of my appointments are skin and ears. Onco was interesting but less useful in day to day life. I especially hated the exam, we got asked a lot about prognoses and survival percentages.
let's see....I saw 6 patients today....5 for skin/ears. 1 for consult for mass removal.

It's more about how it's taught at Mizzou that makes it painful (at least that's what did it for me). 100% agree that it's vital to know.

let's see....I saw 6 patients today....5 for skin/ears. 1 for consult for mass removal.
I guess I should clarify. Lumps are a huge part of my job, but a lot of the oncology we were taught was higher level stuff that wasn't relevant. Other schools may vary. I also find that in lumps, I have more time to research potential treatment options/biological behavior/prognosis whereas with the derm stuff I need that more in the front of my brain. Other people's mileage may vary.

Yeah, I was always fascinated by derm, and was quite impressed with some of the amazing stenches that emanated from ears, so I will be interested to see what happens after the actual systems check in a couple years. Even though I have committed to a different route, I will always like the random GP cases that come my way.

I guess I should clarify. Lumps are a huge part of my job, but a lot of the oncology we were taught was higher level stuff that wasn't relevant. Other schools may vary. I also find that in lumps, I have more time to research potential treatment options/biological behavior/prognosis whereas with the derm stuff I need that more in the front of my brain. Other people's mileage may vary.
I was agreeing with you :rofl:

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it makes a huuuuge difference how derm is taught in terms of how enjoyable it is while you are learning. It was probably the best class I had in vet school and I feel pretty darn derm savvy. Which is great because like half of my cases daily are skin cases...

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, it makes a huuuuge difference how derm is taught in terms of how enjoyable it is while you are learning. It was probably the best class I had in vet school and I feel pretty darn derm savvy. Which is great because like half of my cases daily are skin cases...
same. My derm class was awesome. I feel very confident with skin/ears.

It's more about how it's taught at Mizzou that makes it painful (at least that's what did it for me). 100% agree that it's vital to know.

100% agree on both points... It's so super important but Mizzou could do a better job engaging the students and getting us excited about treating Derm cases everyday for the rest of our lives lol

My best friend and I have joked throughout this section about an awesome future business venture- Veterinary Dermatology and Dentistry associates of Missouri - she can do all the Derm cases and I'll do all the dentals lol (I am only half joking though.. I think we would be an awesome team hahaha)

I'm doing research this summer at the vet school. We have a bunch of things we're looking at and will probably get 2-3 publications out of it...if we ever get enough dogs coming through anesthesia that we can put in our study!

I'm doing research this summer at the vet school. We have a bunch of things we're looking at and will probably get 2-3 publications out of it...if we ever get enough dogs coming through anesthesia that we can put in our study!
Does this mean you will be coming to davis this year with NIH/Merial?! :nod:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got back to Wisconsin for my second trip to collect data for my research project. I've had the most amazing time scrubbing in to the coolest surgeries and even getting to do spays, declaws, laceration repairs, and place some of the pins and screws for the orthopedic stuff we're doing! Also, airbnb is a total life saver.

We are 2 days and 3 finals away from summer break! Time cannot go by fast enough!

Since the two exams are out of the way that I cared about, now my motivation is pretty much gone. Just have to care about the surgery lab final tomorrow.

We are 2 days and 3 finals away from summer break! Time cannot go by fast enough!

I agree with this statement. Why isn't it Saturday yet??

Since the two exams are out of the way that I cared about, now my motivation is pretty much gone. Just have to care about the surgery lab final tomorrow.

You guys are still at it?! Holy crap. I haven't been in school in June since high school.

You guys are still at it?! Holy crap. I haven't been in school in June since high school.
Yeah since we get into clinics early we have an extra 8 week block tacked on to the normal semester for years 1 and 2. It's not the worst thing ever... but I'm VERY ready for summer to get here.

Unfortunately yes. 24 weeks of school for us in the spring. And this block for the 3rd years is probably one of the more difficult ones in the whole curriculum- IMO. So ready for a break!

Yeah since we get into clinics early we have an extra 8 week block tacked on to the normal semester for years 1 and 2. It's not the worst thing ever... but I'm VERY ready for summer to get here.
That sucks! We start clinics "early" compared to everyone else but we still finished school in May.

Done done DONE!!!!! Now only 16 weeks away from Clinics!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Well, finished my first clinical rotation ever... and it was great! Moving into clinical pathology tomorrow is a little daunting.

Tomorrow is the beginning of the end of sitting in the classroom! 8 more weeks of classroom time and then it's off to clinics. Our last round of classes are: Food animal Med & Sx part 2, Equine part 2, ECC, Ophtho, and the most dreaded Therio. I am excited with a little bit of nervous mixed in - mainly because Therio has a reputation of being the hardest class in our entire curriculum! Here goes nothing!!

Tomorrow is the beginning of the end of sitting in the classroom! 8 more weeks of classroom time and then it's off to clinics. Our last round of classes are: Food animal Med & Sx part 2, Equine part 2, ECC, Ophtho, and the most dreaded Therio. I am excited with a little bit of nervous mixed in - mainly because Therio has a reputation of being the hardest class in our entire curriculum! Here goes nothing!!

I'm so glad we get through Therio in the first half of year 3. Our last term is Toxicology, SA Med 2, Equine internal med, Food animal internal med, afternoon mini-rotations (GP, ECC, Ambulatory, Clin Path, Path, Radiology, Surgery/Anes) and selectives (I took Derm and Parasit to prep for NAVLE). 15 weeks!

Clin and anatomic path were AWESOME!!! The forty required case logs? Not so much, but I got them done! Heading to Oregon tomorrow for two weeks of zoo medicine.

After a horrible Therio exam this morning, a long day of class, and 3 more exams this week... All I want to do is sleep. Must keep studying... Where is the light at the end of the tunnel again? Just 5 more weeks until clinics... (and then no sleep again ever)

After a horrible Therio exam this morning, a long day of class, and 3 more exams this week... All I want to do is sleep. Must keep studying... Where is the light at the end of the tunnel again? Just 5 more weeks until clinics... (and then no sleep again ever)

I am exhausted. I haven't studyed for anything but Therio and am afraid that I am going to fall really behind on Therio trying to study for ECC/ FAM the rest of this week.. And then equine and ophtho next week :( I assume you have an elective exam later this week? Unless I'm missing a class on the schedule

I am exhausted. I haven't studyed for anything but Therio and am afraid that I am going to fall really behind on Therio trying to study for ECC/ FAM the rest of this week.. And then equine and ophtho next week :( I assume you have an elective exam later this week? Unless I'm missing a class on the schedule
The struggle is truly real; I have the same fear in Therio. I have an Onco exam, also conveniently on Friday...

In the "what will you do with your life" shuffle, I love pathology, my mentor (DACVIM, SA) thinks I might like onco because there are live patients (something I would like.) Why can't clinics rotate me through everything? Am I supposed to know what I like already?

In the "what will you do with your life" shuffle, I love pathology, my mentor (DACVIM, SA) thinks I might like onco because there are live patients (something I would like.) Why can't clinics rotate me through everything? Am I supposed to know what I like already?
Our clinics rotate us through everything =/ I never plan on doing zoo medicine or dairy but I'm doing those this year.

Our clinics rotate us through everything =/ I never plan on doing zoo medicine or dairy but I'm doing those this year.
You have to apply with a cover letter to get a chance at zoo med for MN. I'd love to rotate it but I don't think I have a chance without a background in it. I'm sitting here like "do I really need/want to rotate equine at all? I can cut that Bovine Surgery out so I have time to take Oncology, but now my only bovine rotation is dairy."

You have to apply with a cover letter to get a chance at zoo med for MN. I'd love to rotate it but I don't think I have a chance without a background in it. I'm sitting here like "do I really need/want to rotate equine at all? I can cut that Bovine Surgery out so I have time to take Oncology, but now my only bovine rotation is dairy."
Just FYI, I'm pretty sure they got rid of the zoo med rotation at the MN Zoo... if that's what you were referring to. Gone, poof, no explanation or offer of alternatives. Not really impacting me personally, but I've been close to the drama thanks to my seat on the Zoo Exotics Avian and Wildlife Club board.

Just FYI, I'm pretty sure they got rid of the zoo med rotation at the MN Zoo... if that's what you were referring to. Gone, poof, no explanation or offer of alternatives. Not really impacting me personally, but I've been close to the drama thanks to my seat on the Zoo Exotics Avian and Wildlife Club board.
Ah that makes more sense. I was like "It isn't even on VCROSS?" shame, as it was a rotation I was hoping to do but I'm not zoo tracked at all. Right now I'm trying to decide what to ask for, but I cant even be sure I'll get my SGU-required stuff.
Doesn't help that the boy has pretty much said we won't be leaving San Diego for intern/residency. Now I need to extern out here so they might consider me.

EDIT: any hints on getting the exotic animal necropsy rotation or any cool rotations not to miss?

EDIT: any hints on getting the exotic animal necropsy rotation or any cool rotations not to miss?

At UMN? I don't know if you guys have access to it (I know there are all those rules about what rotations you guys have to take....), but the ultrasound rotation rocked. Was taught well with good staged teaching and lots of hands-on. I use ultrasound very frequently, and I have been VERY glad in retrospect that I took it. That said, I don't know what your career plans are, so maybe it wouldn't be as useful.

Ah that makes more sense. I was like "It isn't even on VCROSS?" shame, as it was a rotation I was hoping to do but I'm not zoo tracked at all. Right now I'm trying to decide what to ask for, but I cant even be sure I'll get my SGU-required stuff.
Doesn't help that the boy has pretty much said we won't be leaving San Diego for intern/residency. Now I need to extern out here so they might consider me.

Going to PM you some info :)

Last day of zoo med for probably the rest of my life tomorrow :( It's been so much fun and vets have been AMAZING. Definitely going to miss it and Oregon. Also kind of dreading the 8 hour drive to Davis on Sunday...

At UMN? I don't know if you guys have access to it (I know there are all those rules about what rotations you guys have to take....), but the ultrasound rotation rocked. Was taught well with good staged teaching and lots of hands-on. I use ultrasound very frequently, and I have been VERY glad in retrospect that I took it. That said, I don't know what your career plans are, so maybe it wouldn't be as useful.

*I* don't know what my career plans are hahaha.
I would really like to do pathology and still see live animals. I'm between path/lab animal/oncology/SA internal med right now.
I got in to the Lab animal rotation for '17. I'm currently in LAM/Optho/ECC/LaSxL/Necropsy for the end of the 2016 year. I have no idea how to get what I want for the 16-17 schedule or even how they decide when/where we (island kids) go.
The non-required things I'm trying to get right now are BioSecFA, SA Ultrasound, Equine ambulatory (just to say I touched a horse) and unknown other things.

I am feeling really burnt out. We had 3 exams last week, a quiz due by midnight tonight, an exam tomorrow, plus an exam and quiz this Wednesday.... Therio is freaking hard - the most difficult class we have had to this point... I really enjoy the material but the way they ask the quiz and exam questions is exceptionally difficult. :( Tomorrow we start week 5/8... Just keep swimming...:boom:

Drove to Davis today. Man, that's a long drive to do in one day... and traffic was awful the whole way here. Tomorrow, I start lab animal at UCD! :D

I am feeling really burnt out. We had 3 exams last week, a quiz due by midnight tonight, an exam tomorrow, plus an exam and quiz this Wednesday.... Therio is freaking hard - the most difficult class we have had to this point... I really enjoy the material but the way they ask the quiz and exam questions is exceptionally difficult. :( Tomorrow we start week 5/8... Just keep swimming...:boom:
You can do it! Therio is super hard =/ I continually have to remind myself of things I learned a year ago.

That heart in your stomach feeling when you realize you just missed the deadline to pick what rotations you want for off-sites/electives/personal time for clinics....

That heart in your stomach feeling when you realize you just missed the deadline to pick what rotations you want for off-sites/electives/personal time for clinics....
Oh no! Was it a recent deadline? Could you email the person in charge of scheduling and apologize profusely and ask if you could still give dates? They may not have gotten too far into the scheduling.

Oh no! Was it a recent deadline? Could you email the person in charge of scheduling and apologize profusely and ask if you could still give dates? They may not have gotten too far into the scheduling.
Deadline was Friday. I remember our assistant dean saying she was going to work on them over the weekend so I'm pretty sure its too late. I think they will randomly assign blocks to me for those now. Hopefully its not all clumped together or at the end of the year.

Food Animal midterm was a beast. I started drinking at 10:30am (and only had 3 drinks between then and 6pm) and finished the day with sushi and beach time. Not a bad mini weekend for a Monday.

Today was Amazing!!! I got to travel with one of our oncologists and an oncology resident to the English Springer spaniel national specialty dog show. It turned into an amazing networking opportunity and I am so so excited to start clinics and be on oncology with these awesome people!!

Today was Amazing!!! I got to travel with one of our oncologists and an oncology resident to the English Springer spaniel national specialty dog show. It turned into an amazing networking opportunity and I am so so excited to start clinics and be on oncology with these awesome people!!
Jealous over here :p Glad you had fun!! And are getting more introduced to the dog show world!! I'm loving Onco a ton, too!

:hello:
i think i left ya'll for the class of 2021