Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My bad. If you had asked me about this 8 months ago, I'd say it'd be more than okay to feel excessively neurotic and stressed and emotional about some weird admissions decision like this, even tho it doesn't help one bit. But now? I've grown quite numb from all the BS from this year. So now I don't really give a damn what some admissions office tells me or would tell me. "I got rejected again? Sucks. Guess I'll drink again tonight." "I got on the waitlist after being rejected? Cool beans, guess I have a shot, tho it's probably still low since they had to un-reject me first."

I am fully aware of the energy/emotions that people have invested. I've been an emotional train wreck, as we all can remember. But now? I just don't care anymore. The foolish idealism I had going in is gone now. There's no more need to get so worked up about one school's admissions office's decisions. Duke is not obligated to be perfect or polite. IMHO, they can do whatever they want because they are a top 10 school; they are not obligated to hold your hand every step of the way and treat each applicant like they are a special snowflake. Just like parents are not obligated to do jacksh** for their children (which we have all established, correct?), Duke is not obligated to be overly sensitive and bend over backwards for their applicants.

Sorry, y'all, but the real world sucks. We all have to live in it, so we might as well get used to it. @efle was not too far off with his comment.
So we shouldn't hold Duke to a high standard of professionalism? And we shouldn't empathize with applicants who are experiencing a roller coaster of emotions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
@Ace Khalifa I mean I totally get where you're coming from. Everyone doesn't deal with rejection in that way though, and you have to let others process what they're feeling.

There are different legitimate opinions about what Duke's responsibilities are and how their applicants should respond.

Personally, I call on their admissions dean to send a simple email to their applicants: "We had some administrative issues and shortcomings in leadership, we bungled it, and we're sorry. We are going to answer any question you have so that you feel confident that you were considered fairly. And here is our plan so this does not happen again."

That's all it would take, I think, for them to be forgiven.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's another major failure on their part.

Duke admissions has been such a mess this year. I was actually originally accepted and then the day before second look received an email saying my acceptance was an administrative error. I was actually waitlisted. Oops! Thanks Duke.

Reactions: 4 users
Here's another major failure on their part.
Duke admissions has been such a mess this year. I was actually originally accepted and then the day before second look received an email saying my acceptance was an administrative error. I was actually waitlisted. Oops! Thanks Duke.
Um, whoa. That would be a whole new level, right?

But that user joined today and has no other posts. Does anyone else feel like you need more evidence for this? A red-hot thread like Duke's would be prime territory for an unscrupulous troll.

Reactions: 1 user

But that user joined today and has no other posts. Does anyone else feel like you need more evidence for this? A red-hot thread like Duke's would be prime territory for an unscrupulous troll.
And here I am being berated for providing a knee-jerk reaction opinion when someone else does the same thing...good job, guys. You wanna tell me to research everything before making an opinion? Well, maybe you should do the same thing when a one-time SDN poster makes an outrageous claim like that one. #doublestandards #hypocrisygoesagainstmyvalues

I didn't even notice that! Whoops...Although, I remember my early days of SDN when other users thought I was a troll since I had a grand total of 4 messages and was a member for a small period of time. You never know since this is the internet :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
And here I am being berated for providing a knee-jerk reaction opinion when someone else does the same thing...good job, guys. You wanna tell me to research everything before making an opinion? Well, maybe you should do the same thing when a one-time SDN poster makes an outrageous claim like that one. #doublestandards #hypocrisygoesagainstmyvalues

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Nice hashtags.

Ace, honestly, take a seat man. Or just take a break from SDN. Your current predicament has been clearly getting the best of you as of late.
You expect me to listen to someone who joined SDN on Saturday with a total of 7 posts? Or wait, prove to me that you have researched the entirety of my "current predicament" and can make a valid opinion about it and then maybe I'll listen to you. Because apparently that's what you're supposed to do before you ever utter a single opinionated word.

That was sarcasm, btw.

Deep-Breathing.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

What are your values again? Consistently putting other people down because you're annoyed at how you played the hand you were dealt. I legit said this the other day, but you've been coming off poorly on this thread. I'm starting to think that you're just kind of a dick and feel this need to constantly put others down because you're annoyed about your cycle.

Seems like your current predicament is the chip on your shoulder from feeling like you've been slighted.

There, I said it.

Probz enjoying himself like he should. It's not his job to keep me in check lololololol.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if you need a babysitter as your post seems to hint that you understand that there is a need to do what you're laughing about.

Where is RTC when he's needed?? Gatdamn.

You rang?

Reactions: 10 users
Probz enjoying himself like he should. It's not his job to keep me in check lololololol.
Lol nah I think that's definitely his job as of late, and rightly so. I've already been put on SDN probation, so I'm trying to play nice. But he def just said what we've all been wanting to say. Anywho, good luck with the rest of your application cycle!

What are your values again? Consistently putting other people down because you're annoyed at how you played the hand you were dealt. I legit said this the other day, but you've been coming off poorly on this thread. I'm starting to think that you're just kind of a dick and feel this need to constantly put others down because you're annoyed about your cycle.

Seems like your current predicament is the chip on your shoulder from feeling like you've been slighted.

There, I said it.
I'm not actually doing the things you're assuming I'm doing, but thanks for that. I'm numb from this cycle, but I don't feel "slighted".....I merely stated one harmless opinion today and everyone blew up on me.

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if you need a babysitter as your post seems to hint that you understand that there is a need to do what you're laughing about.
I don't. You chose to comment lol.

You rang?
You wanna take this outside, now that you're here?

You wanna take this outside, now that you're here?

Mate, I have a good 40 lbs on you...

I'm not commenting about your making fun about the people on the duke thread, but more so on your tone as of late. Like I've said before, you're coming off as incredibly pompous and entitled, which in and of itself is the behavior of a hypocrite given all your diatribes from a few months ago.

That's honestly all I have to say about this... period.

As you were.

Lol nah I think that's definitely his job as of late, and rightly so. I've already been put on SDN probation, so I'm trying to play nice. But he def just said what we've all been wanting to say. Anywho, good luck with the rest of your application cycle!
And you were put on probation why?

If you want to say something to my face (or whatever the internet equivalent of this is), then say it. You don't need to wait until RTC says something. That just makes me think you're a coward in real life. I don't like to think that of people; I try to see the best in everyone, but lately I keep finding reasons not to. So please, if you have some burning thing you want to tell me, then say it. I'll choose whether to be offended or laugh it off just like everyone else on the internet.

Mate, I have a good 40 lbs on you...

I'm not commenting about your making fun about the people on the duke thread, but more so on your tone as of late. Like I've said before, you're coming off as incredibly pompous and entitled, which in and of itself is the behavior of a hypocrite given all your diatribes from a few months ago.

That's honestly all I have to say about this... period.

As you were.
My bad, bro. I thought being a hypocrite only meant saying one thing while doing the completely opposite and had nothing to do with being pompous or entitled? :shrug: Guess not.

So... How's about those Dodgers, I heard they scored a touchdown on the Lakers last night?!

**Please don't throw tomatoes, I'm just trying to change the subject**

Reactions: 16 users
My bad, bro. I thought being a hypocrite only meant saying one thing while doing the completely opposite and had nothing to do with being pompous or entitled? :shrug: Guess not.

I was referring to your actions contradicting your comments and diatribes from times past where you spoke like someone with dignity and humility although those are seemingly lacking in your character.

Comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

And you were put on probation why?

If you want to say something to my face (or whatever the internet equivalent of this is), then say it. You don't need to wait until RTC says something. That just makes me think you're a coward in real life. I don't like to think that of people; I try to see the best in everyone, but lately I keep finding reasons not to. So please, if you have some burning thing you want to tell me, then say it. I'll choose whether to be offended or laugh it off just like everyone else on the internet.
Nope. Nah. No. Nightmare on NOPE street. Not about to play this little "say it to my face, I'm a tough guy rawrrrr" game with you on a thread that's purpose is support and uplift our fellow colleagues of the class of 2019. I've barely commented on this thread, but I come on it a lot just to see how everyone is doing and gather that support or even a little laugh from everyone on the thread. This thread has been super positive and lately, all I've seen from you is a whole bunch of unwarranted negativity. It's not cute. It wouldn't hurt you to stay off SDN instead of lashing out at people every other day. But what do I know..I'm just a simple cowardly chick on an Internet forum. Ah well.

Ps: I was put on probation for checking people on here who felt the need to talk down to other people for no reason. Go figure. But I'm over that. People will say whatever they feel, especially on the Internet. So carry on. Just know some of what you say makes you come off like a douchelord.

I was referring to your actions contradicting your comments and diatribes from times past where you spoke like someone with dignity and humility although those are seemingly lacking in your character.
Please keep up with the personal insults lol. I'd love to develop an even thicker skin before M3 year. Also, why you gotta bring up the past...again....? We're past that now, or at least, I thought we all were. You know one important thing I was taught while in undergrad? NEVER bring up the past to insult someone. EVER. It is incredibly rude and brings nothing to the conversation other than to humiliate the target in question. You might think it's okay, but I personally don't.
Comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?
I actually got a 13 on verbal, so I'd say my comprehension is good enough lol.

Also, did no one get the reference? "Pipe the F down" is a Jenna Marbles quote. I was merely trying to be funny, although since apparently we're gonna be oversensitive all up in dis biiiatch, no one got it. Guess I have bad taste for comedy lol.

Nope. Nah. No. Nightmare on NOPE street. Not about to play this little "say it to my face, I'm a tough guy rawrrrr" game with you on a thread that's purpose is support and uplift our fellow colleagues of the class of 2019. I've barely commented on this thread, but I come on it a lot just to see how everyone is doing and gather that support or even a little laugh from everyone on the thread. This thread has been super positive and lately, all I've seen from you is a whole bunch of unwarranted negativity. It's not cute. It wouldn't hurt you to stay off SDN instead of lashing out at people every other day. But what do I know..I'm just a simple cowardly chick on an Internet forum. Ah well.

Ps: I was put on probation for checking people on here who felt the need to talk down to other people for no reason. Go figure. But I'm over that. People will say whatever they feel, especially on the Internet. So carry on. Just know some of what you say makes you come off like a douchelord.
Fine. We won't play that game. Not gonna get worked up about it.

Honestly, Duke could reject everyone they accepted already, put them on a wait list, and accept them 2 days later if they want. It is unfortunate that their admissions is being out of control and unprofessional, but that's not going to stop 80% of 34+ MCAT applicants from applying there. They have all the power, it sucks that the process is like that, but it is what it is. If that was me, I'd be upset, frustrated, whatever. But I'd have to deal with it. I do feel for those who aren't accepted yet and are really counting on Duke to have a med school seat for Fall 2015.

Reactions: 2 users
Your post made me think of
California_Sign.jpg
So thanks for changing the subject! :D

I'm getting so excited for second look! In California! Ahhhh!!! :) im definitely gonna take selfies in front of UCLA signs like a dork hahaha

In other news, I've been reading a lot of oncology journal articles lately!!!!! I wish oncology was a residency. I mean I get why oncologists need to know how to treat general complaints, but still..... Why do some specialties have residencies and others have fellowships? Is it just a weird historical development?

(I miss the positivity and support on this forum. Can we try to bring it back, please?)

Reactions: 8 users
Guys instead of paying $2199 for the online Princeton Review course, I paid $350 for the 2015 science workbook, compendium, science review questions and solutions, and a random assortment of Kaplan & PR question banks, AAMC full length exams (I'm assuming from the old MCAT), and MCAT Audio Osmosis. I really only wanted the science workbook and compendium but I'll take everything else! :biglove: I feel like I'm way too excited to start studying for this. I'll let you know how I feel when I actually start, haha. :hungover:
you can get it all for free as well

I'm getting so excited for second look! In California! Ahhhh!!! :) im definitely gonna take selfies in front of UCLA signs like a dork hahaha

In other news, I've been reading a lot of oncology journal articles lately!!!!! I wish oncology was a residency. I mean I get why oncologists need to know how to treat general complaints, but still..... Why do some specialties have residencies and others have fellowships? Is it just a weird historical development?

(I miss the positivity and support on this forum. Can we try to bring it back, please?)

Oncologists often function as the PCP's for a select group of incredibly sick patients and manage not only their onc medications, but make sure everything else is in check as well because there's just SO much going on.

Reactions: 5 users
@sunflower18 I'm hoping for some serious sunshine during second look... It's been cloudy for the past few days.

Damn, based on how cynical and jaded Ace has gotten over the last year I'd think he had no acceptances. Soon he'll be as big an dingus as me

Anyone want to tell me where to see the prior smackdown that made people call on rtc? I love reading this garbage

Also, the dingus autocorrect is freaking hysterical

More positivity!!
o-SAN-FRANCISCO-FOG-facebook.jpg

RTC beat me too it. You definitely need an IM background as a medical oncologist.
@sunflower18 I'm hoping for some serious sunshine during second look... It's been cloudy for the past few days.
Lol, how many rainy days do y'all get a year? Like 6? :laugh:

More positivity!!

RTC beat me too it. You definitely need an IM background as a medical oncologist.

The thing about LA area is it gets HOT in a lot of parts. San fran and san diego have the real nice cool by-the-water weather throughout the whole area

@Cyberdyne 101 dude we are in a severe drought right now! We gets no rain! aha. I still don't want it to rain during Second Look, its like the most inopportune time ever!

Damn, based on how cynical and jaded Ace has gotten over the last year I'd think he had no acceptances. Soon he'll be as big an dingus as me

Anyone want to tell me where to see the prior smackdown that made people call on rtc? I love reading this garbage

Also, the dingus autocorrect is freaking hysterical
Go back a page. You'll be fine whenever you apply, you already stopped drinking the idealistic premed BS koolaid. WUSTL prepares us well.

It's so funny to see southern californians freak out about rain. it's sprinkling in LA right now and my coworker just ran back into the office asking us if we had an extra umbrella. :laugh: & all of us are used to the drought that none of us have umbrellas

@Cyberdyne 101 dude we are in a severe drought right now! We gets no rain! aha. I still don't want it to rain during Second Look, its like the most inopportune time ever!
I've never experienced California rain, but it has to be better than the typical NY rain. You guys can definitely use a few weeks of Seattle weather-lol. And speaking of Seattle, how's the weather been by you lately, @efle?

Go back a page. You'll be fine whenever you apply, you already stopped drinking the idealistic premed BS koolaid. WUSTL prepares us well.
What's in the BS koolaid, dreams of meritocracy and holistic app reviews? I still have my ridiculous ideals about absolute honesty as a student at least

WUSTL is great, it just needs to start inflating the hell out of grades like all the cool schools are doing

The thing about LA area is it gets HOT in a lot of parts. San fran and san diego have the real nice cool by-the-water weather throughout the whole area

Yeah, LA is ungodly hot more often than not. This week (so far) has been unusually nice, though!

It's so funny to see southern californians freak out about rain. it's sprinkling in LA right now and my coworker just ran back into the office asking us if we had an extra umbrella. :laugh: & all of us are used to the drought that none of us have umbrellas

Yeah, it's kind of hilarious. I've seen people put on gear that looks better suited for a blizzard just because it's sprinkling...I'll use an umbrella when it sprinkles, but that's only because I've had electronics ruined by freak rainstorms before.

@Cyberdyne 101 yeah we could. It's not the rain that's bad, its the drivers IN the rain that's bad.

Rain would be nice though. Just after next week! I'd love to have an excuse to wear a jacket and boots!

Oncologists often function as the PCP's for a select group of incredibly sick patients and manage not only their onc medications, but make sure everything else is in check as well because there's just SO much going on.

More positivity!!

Yeah no I know, I was just trying to change the subject... Haha :)

I seriously do wonder though like why dermatologists and neurologists don't need IM training.

@Cyberdyne 101 yeah we could. It's not the rain that's bad, its the drivers IN the rain that's bad.

Rain would be nice though. Just after next week! I'd love to have an excuse to wear a jacket and boots!
Oh God drivers in the rain in LA are so bad! lol It's like rain is something so foreign to us that it significantly affects driving skill

Yeah no I know, I was just trying to change the subject... Haha :)

I seriously do wonder though like why dermatologists and neurologists don't need IM training.
For derm, possibly because the pathologies are more localized? I could be totally wrong though. I'm not sure about neuro. Perhaps @demystifie has an answer. She's a neuro geek!

Oh God drivers in the rain in LA are so bad! lol It's like rain is something so foreign to us that it significantly affects driving skill

Yeah...something in the water. I'd rather stay in the house on a "rainy" day and watch Netflix...

And speaking of Seattle, how's the weather been by you lately, @efle?
It's quite hurtful deep down you know. Despite my facade of no-nonsense flame warrior I'm actually dying a little bit inside every time

Yeah...something in the water. I'd rather stay in the house on a "rainy" day and watch Netflix...
According to my room mate Atlanta essentially went apocalyptic when they got an inch of snow last winter

Yeah, LA is ungodly hot more often than not. This week (so far) has been unusually nice, though!

Yeah, it's kind of hilarious. I've seen people put on gear that looks better suited for a blizzard just because it's sprinkling...I'll use an umbrella when it sprinkles, but that's only because I've had electronics ruined by freak rainstorms before.
So you guys have been getting 85 degree weather in March?!

It's quite hurtful deep down you know. Despite my facade of no-nonsense flame warrior I'm actually dying a little bit inside every time

According to my room mate Atlanta essentially went apocalyptic when they got an inch of snow last winter

I heard about that. I understand though, isn't it rare for it to snow in Atlanta?