Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people who have applied in past years, am I suppose to put AP credit in the Fall quarter section of my transcript, and then select it as AP credit when I "review and finalize"? That is what the FAQ is making it seem like, but on my transcript AP credit is in it's own section so I'm a little confused.

Members don't see this ad.

For people who have applied in past years, am I suppose to put AP credit in the Fall quarter section of my transcript, and then select it as AP credit when I "review and finalize"? That is what the FAQ is making it seem like, but on my transcript AP credit is in it's own section so I'm a little confused.
Yep! That's what I did, anyway, and I do agree that the FAQ is a little confusing. My transcript lists my AP credit under my fall of freshman year with grades of "CR", so that's what I entered. After you select Review and Finalize, you'll have the option to designate any classes you've entered as AP credit.

Okay, thank you!

Weird! I didn't realize some schools do that. I have an "Extension credit" section on my undergrad transcript and that is where my AP credit is. Why can't my undergrad be normal?! haha

Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little unsettled that VMCAS hates lib art majors. I'm having to list all of my courses as humanities, writing or reading :shrug:

I just held off on entering my AP credit for now

I figure I'll do that after I look at my official transcript... but yeah, if it's still it's own section I'll probably just put it under fall and then designate it AP.

You would think they would have though of that though.

And Nalikti I would love to know the answer to that question

I just held off on entering my AP credit for now

I figure I'll do that after I look at my official transcript... but yeah, if it's still it's own section I'll probably just put it under fall and then designate it AP.

You would think they would have though of that though.

And Nalikti I would love to know the answer to that question

Yes... I'm wondering if my ACT English credit that tested me out of English 1010 (even though I am a liberal arts major and never took what is just an English comp class) will count as an English credit and how I should do it.

Allow me to add more questions... my spring/summer semesters are all just designated as "summer" but the app gives you the option of spring, summer 1, or summer 2. Do I just pick summer 1?

I'm still on and need to keep working on the app lol. At my school summer is divided into two 4 week sessions. I would think just pick summer 1 if yours is not.

I'm a little unsettled that VMCAS hates lib art majors. I'm having to list all of my courses as humanities, writing or reading :shrug:

Me too, and a lot of mine can be classified under more than one of those headings. My major for my BA and MA aren't even listed. :( I've picked other/not listed for accuracy but am wondering if anyone else is having this problem and choosing to put the closest approximation instead.

Allow me to add more questions... my spring/summer semesters are all just designated as "summer" but the app gives you the option of spring, summer 1, or summer 2. Do I just pick summer 1?

I've been picking "summer 1." Even the schools I've been to that split up summer semesters into different sessions just have them listed under one summer heading on my transcripts, so that's why I just picked that one.

edit:
Anyone else have anything weird going on in the Other Information section where they ask for the GPA from your primary school?

These are the instructions:
If you have attended multiple colleges, list the GPA for your primary college. “Primary” indicates whether the selected institution is the primary institution from which you earned your undergraduate or bachelor’s degree, or the most credits, or completed the majority of your prerequisites.

In my case, I got my BA from School #1 but completed all of my prereqs at School #3, so I don't know which one to put down. I'm inclined to go with #3, but wanted to see if anyone else has a similar situation before I contact the VMCAS people for clarification.

Last edited:
Me too, and a lot of mine can be classified under more than one of those headings. My major for my BA and MA aren't even listed. :( I've picked other/not listed for accuracy but am wondering if anyone else is having this problem and choosing to put the closest approximation instead.

My minor (Quantitative Science) wasn't listed either. I left it as other for now as well, but was wondering if I should just put it (and classes in the department) under "Quantitative Analysis." I mean, that's what it is, but I don't know how strict they are.

I don't know what kind of classes you're putting in but I didn't have any trouble categorizing any of my gen eds.
It looked to me like there were a considerable amount of options... but then again, like I said, I don't know what sort of classes you're putting in.

Re: major-- I listed my major as zoology, though my actual major is more specific than that. I think approximation is the way to go, though I could be wrong on that.

I don't know what kind of classes you're putting in but I didn't have any trouble categorizing any of my gen eds.
It looked to me like there were a considerable amount of options... but then again, like I said, I don't know what sort of classes you're putting in.

It's really not that big a deal in the end, but just to give you an example of what it's like with my classes, I can't distinguish between my courses that were Russian lit versus English lit versus comparative lit or the ones that belong to area studies. There's no Near Eastern or Slavic or any other area studies designation at all, except for just American studies and women's studies. It's not the end of the world, and I'm not upset about it, but it seems odd that they'd have "Chinese Internal Medicine," "Typing," and "Limnology" as designations but not a topic as general and large as comp lit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooo for anyone that is manually entering courses and grades... For the schools that require prereqs through VMCAS, I am getting a checkmark on the tab for that program that when I click on the prereq tab, says "you have chosen to not enter a college attended, you do not have to enter any prerequisites", but I totally did put my college attended and the classes and all... Anyone else getting this?

Sooooo for anyone that is manually entering courses and grades... For the schools that require prereqs through VMCAS, I am getting a checkmark on the tab for that program that when I click on the prereq tab, says "you have chosen to not enter a college attended, you do not have to enter any prerequisites", but I totally did put my college attended and the classes and all... Anyone else getting this?
Did you already go through Review and Finalize for your schools/transcripts? It should work after doing that; I got an identical error until I finalized everything.

EDIT: Oh, and don't worry about not being able to edit your transcripts after that point...you totally still can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Yep! That's what I did, anyway, and I do agree that the FAQ is a little confusing. My transcript lists my AP credit under my fall of freshman year with grades of "CR", so that's what I entered. After you select Review and Finalize, you'll have the option to designate any classes you've entered as AP credit.

Good thing your school had a grade for them. Mine just says, "Granted 2 units of Advanced Placement in [blahblahblah]" for each of the exams they accepted. And the VMCAS form doesn't let you add anything unless you fill in all the fields, including course number and grade. The hell am I supposed to put down? :shrug:

I'm probably just forking over the $55 dollars for the professional transcript entry service. I spent time two different cycles entering in my 200+ credits of classwork and I'd rather not do that again, especially if I can pay someone else to do it.

Minor Rant: So apparently, VMCAS didn't update my school (or more accurately the transcript ordering service my school uses) about their changes in VMCAS ID and Transcript ID numbers, basically they are shorter this year and that doesn't please the ordering system overlords who demand the right number of digits.

Yes... I'm wondering if my ACT English credit that tested me out of English 1010 (even though I am a liberal arts major and never took what is just an English comp class) will count as an English credit and how I should do it.
Generally SAT/ACT testing out of a class satisfies the class requirement but does not actually give you the credits for the class. You can check your transcript, but it will likely have a letter code of some kind designating that there was no grade received for the class and you tested out of it. Therefore there isn't any reason to include it on VMCAS unless English 1010 is specifically a pre-req of some kind (not likely).

I've been looking for advice on how many LORs to ask for/submit, but I haven't found anything on this site that specifically addresses that question. 3 is required, but you can have up to 6 . . . Is there a magic number? Does it somehow look bad to have more than three?

I've been looking for advice on how many LORs to ask for/submit, but I haven't found anything on this site that specifically addresses that question. 3 is required, but you can have up to 6 . . . Is there a magic number? Does it somehow look bad to have more than three?

The requirement for most schools appears to be three, but I would think that having more than three wouldn't hurt because than you could pick the three strongest letters, ie, who had the most positive things to say about you.

Been following this forum for awhile, finally going to try applying this year!! good luck to everyone :D

Check with the schools you'll be applying to! I believe some will only accept three. Really, I think how many you ask for depends on your relationship with the people you'd be asking. I only have three people that I'm totally confident will write me letters that will help my application, so I'm only submitting three-two academic and one vet. If I had another vet I had a close relationship with, I'd submit four, but I don't so three it is!

As long as you feel the people would write you strong letters and the schools you're applying to accept more than three, more probably won't hurt you and could possibly help. .

Check with your individual schools. Most want three, some will take more, some will actually want more, and many also have requirements for who they want to write your letters (vet, professor, employer, etc).

For those of you who applied/are applying to TAMU (although a similar section might be on VMCAS), what did you put for "healthcare activities"? There is both a "healthcare activities" and a "veterinary supervised experience" section, so I'm not sure what they're looking for on the former...

For those of you who applied/are applying to TAMU (although a similar section might be on VMCAS), what did you put for "healthcare activities"? There is both a "healthcare activities" and a "veterinary supervised experience" section, so I'm not sure what they're looking for on the former...
Disclaimer: Did not apply to TAMU
It sounds like they are referring to any experience in a healthcare setting that was not supervised by a veterinarian. So things like wildlife rehab (some rehab places don't actually have a vet on staff), or even human medicine if you have any of that kind of experience.

Reactions: 1 user

On the TMDSAS section overview instructions it looks like they want any sort of volunteering/shadowing that's not vet-related (maybe a holdover from the med school application, since med schools use the same one?). I don't think I have anything not vet-related (at least from college onwards) so I'm probably leaving that blank.

I think that wildlife rehab might go in animal experience instead (though correct me if you feel differently) and this section is more specified for human health. There's also a community service section, though, so I think you just have to pick and choose where to put things when there's a ton of overlap.

The requirement for most schools appears to be three, but I would think that having more than three wouldn't hurt because than you could pick the three strongest letters, ie, who had the most positive things to say about you.
Unless there's something new this year, you have no way of knowing what your LOR writers wrote until after the application cycle is over.

Unless there's something new this year, you have no way of knowing what your LOR writers wrote until after the application cycle is over.

True, but you could always choose the people who like you best lol

On the TMDSAS section overview instructions it looks like they want any sort of volunteering/shadowing that's not vet-related (maybe a holdover from the med school application, since med schools use the same one?). I don't think I have anything not vet-related (at least from college onwards) so I'm probably leaving that blank.

I think that wildlife rehab might go in animal experience instead (though correct me if you feel differently) and this section is more specified for human health. There's also a community service section, though, so I think you just have to pick and choose where to put things when there's a ton of overlap.

Oh I didn't see that! Thanks :)

Also, I've heard that even though TMDSAS is constantly saying to "double dip" with activities, aka list them in multiple sections, that TAMU actually is not a fan of that. Soooo...follow the instructions on TMDSAS or don't double dip? I think I'm going to email their admissions office to make 100% I know what they want. (Also, idk if it's on this thread/forum that I heard that or somewhere else...too much info on SDN!)

Question everyone!

For courses I took that are in the Biology Department, but VMCAS has a specific section in the drop down menu.. example, I took Animal Behavior which was BIOL3403... do I put subject "animal behavior" or subject "biology" ?

Question everyone!

For courses I took that are in the Biology Department, but VMCAS has a specific section in the drop down menu.. example, I took Animal Behavior which was BIOL3403... do I put subject "animal behavior" or subject "biology" ?
Follow the course subject list here

ETA: My bad, old instructions. I would put the subject that describes it best, so in this case animal behavior.

Shoot I have another question. Why under the school's individual sections does it say

"You opted not to enter any colleges attended, you do not have to enter any prerequisites."

I already entered my coursework in too...

Follow the course subject list here

ETA: My bad, old instructions. I would put the subject that describes it best, so in this case animal behavior.

Thanks for the link! I'm sure the instructions haven't changed much :)

Did you try this?

I can't find that anywhere. But the whole system keeps crashing me for me so

EDIT: it is possible it's because I added additional colleges that I didn't put any coursework in for?

I can't find that anywhere. But the whole system keeps crashing me for me so

Have you entered all transcript info for all classes listed? The "Review and Finalize" will be an option at the top of the main transcript tab after you've entered it all.

On the evaluation request, VMCAS has a place to enter a deadline. Should I make the deadline for my evaluators the same as the deadline for VMCAS or should I make it earlier? I was thinking about August so the evaluations could be processed before the September 15th deadline.

On the evaluation request, VMCAS has a place to enter a deadline. Should I make the deadline for my evaluators the same as the deadline for VMCAS or should I make it earlier? I was thinking about August so the evaluations could be processed before the September 15th deadline.
Make it earlier. The websites FAQ states that it may take up to 4 weeks to process so all transcripts and LORs should be submitted by August 15

Bracklefrackit, I found a mistake after I finalized my transcript

You can change things and re-finalize! :)

Also, I emailed VCMAS about what to do if your AP credits appear in a separate section on your transcript, and they said to still put them in the Fall term (or whatever your first term was) of your freshman year of undergrad. In case anyone else has this issue and aren't sure what to do :)

Reactions: 3 users
That's exactly why email isn't a good idea, in my opinion. Two of the professors that wrote letters for me specifically mentioned at the end of the semester that they don't write letters so we shouldn't bother. I spoke to both in person and I must have said something right because they both agreed to make an exception for me. It's a lot easier to ignore an email or straight up say no than it is to ignore the sad puppy face in person. ;) Showing up in person dressed decently and having a professional chat with them makes it look like their letter is more important to you. For vets, I say use your judgement based on how close you are with them. I asked the vet that I worked most with (and had a closer relationship with) through a text, whereas the other I asked in person. Just my $0.02 though. :)
If that is going to make the difference between them writing a letter and not, I would not want them to be writing the letter. You want your letters to come from someone who wants to do whatever they can to get you into vet school, not someone you need to convince to write you a letter

Reactions: 9 users
If that is going to make the difference between them writing a letter and not, I would not want them to be writing the letter. You want your letters to come from someone who wants to do whatever they can to get you into vet school, not someone you need to convince to write you a letter

I have to respectfully disagree here, mostly because not everyone has 3-6 people that want to do whatever they can to get you into vet school. Some people might have 1-2 professors or vets that they formed close relationships with and would be willing to go the extra mile, but I would guess most people get your run of the mill "this person is good for x,y,z reasons" letter. If your LOR writers absolutely adored you and wrote a novel each about your merits, that's cool. None of the professors that I convinced to write me letters must have written anything too bad about me, because I got in. But that's just my wacky reasoning behind my opinion. :)

I have to respectfully disagree here, mostly because not everyone has 3-6 people that want to do whatever they can to get you into vet school. Some people might have 1-2 professors or vets that they formed close relationships with and would be willing to go the extra mile, but I would guess most people get your run of the mill "this person is good for x,y,z reasons" letter. If your LOR writers absolutely adored you and wrote a novel each about your merits, that's cool. None of the professors that I convinced to write me letters must have written anything too bad about me, because I got in. But that's just my wacky reasoning behind my opinion. :)

Most people should have 3 people that can write them good letters of recommendation. Not just "ok" ones. Standing in front of someone with puppy dog eyes asking for a letter might get you a letter, but if they can't write a good letter explaining your strengths and why you would make a good vet, you don't want it. You don't want someone to say "yeah, so and so is good at blah, blah, blah". You want, "So and so does blah, blah, blah and blah, blah, blah. I have personally witnessed so and so doing x, y, z. I have seen so and so's amazing work ethic, dedication, commitment, etc, etc. I have watched so and so grow over x amount of time. So and so possesses these qualities and they shine through in so and so's work. So and and so forth. You do not want the short, simple letter. And you should be able to get 3 people to write you GOOD letters that expand upon your strengths and how those will make you fit to be a vet. You don't want to do the puppy dog eyes, make someone feel like they should write you a letter and get 3 "meh" recommendations. You want good letters. E-mail should be fine depending upon your relationship with the person. Otherwise, in person is ok, but make it apparent that you need them to write you a good letter of recommendation and that if they feel uncomfortable to let you know and you can get someone else to do it. This isn't about someone doing whatever they can to get you into vet school. This is about someone just writing a good letter over an "ok/meh" letter. A good letter isn't hard to write if the person is really deserving of it.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not saying you can't get into vet school without excellent LORs...

Just like you're not doomed with mediocre grades, gpa, experiences. I just wouldn't recommend any of those things.

Bum advice.

Maybe the reason you got in was in spite of your letters. I'm not saying it necessarily was, but it's bad advice to encourage people to settle for more generic recommendation letters unnecessarily, just because you had some and you got in. Nobody - especially not MB - is saying you can't get in with less-than-amazing portions of an application.

You want to do the absolute best you can with every part of the application. Some parts will be better than others just because that's the way life works and most of us can't be amazing at everything. But I'm with MB: You want to have letter writers that <actually really> want you to get into vet school.

If you don't have them, ok, you go with what you have. Again, that's just life. But for people who are in the planning stages of vet school, it's better advice to suggest that they start building those relationships so that they have people who are more excited about them personally when it comes time to have someone write the letter.

In regards to how you approach someone, I've always strongly advocated in-person if it's possible. It's more professional and it delivers the message to the person you're asking that you really care about the quality of what they write. So they are more likely to put more effort into it. If someone sent me an email with "Um, hey, could you write me a letter?" how much effort am I going to put into that compared to the person that shows up in my office wearing halfway-decent clothes with a copy of their resume and says "I'm applying to vet school. I felt like you would be well-positioned to write me a letter of recommendation because of our <whatever history you have>. Would you be willing to help me?"

Holy cow - I'm going to put out EFFORT for that second person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In regards to how you approach someone, I've always strongly advocated in-person if it's possible. It's more professional and it delivers the message to the person you're asking that you really care about the quality of what they write. So they are more likely to put more effort into it. If someone sent me an email with "Um, hey, could you write me a letter?" how much effort am I going to put into that compared to the person that shows up in my office wearing halfway-decent clothes with a copy of their resume and says "I'm applying to vet school. I felt like you would be well-positioned to write me a letter of recommendation because of our <whatever history you have>. Would you be willing to help me?"
The resume portion is especially good advice and something I hadn't thought of, though at least one of my profs that I asked for an eLOR from asked for it.

I also agree that you shouldn't settle for mediocre eLORs (or mediocre anything if you can help it). I know getting vet experience can be difficult depending on the area, so you have to work with what you have. But you have a LOT of profs in undergrad, you really should be able to connect with a few of them and do well in those classes. I always liked talking to my profs, so I had quite a few I was able to ask for eLORs and they were all excited and happy to do so.