Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First day of orientation tomorrow. I know I shouldn't be so nervous, but I am. Gah.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hope all of you at LSU are staying safe and as dry as you can. :(

I moved some stuff this last weekend and am moving the rest this upcoming weekend. Not going to lie - the urge to say "nope, nevermind" and stay home with my husband is very strong right now. Splitting up our home has been really difficult, logistically, emotionally, and psychologically. I know things will be easier once the bandaid has been ripped off and I get busy with school, but for now, it's torture.

Reactions: 1 user
Orientation is tomorrow. I don't remember how to make friends:shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Orientation is finally done (thank god), classes start tomorrow! And I get out early because of my anatomy lab section. Hurray!
Your campus looks gorgeous from what I can see in the pictures!

I was really unsure of how I was going to feel about this hog placement for my AHEMS that I just started yesterday but today I think I really like it. The farmer is really nice. He used to teach at A&M and he seems to really like the hogs and is a genuinely happy person. :)

Also I've learned so much already! And he asked me if I wanted to help give the vaccines and told me he is going to have me inseminate when they breed the next set of sows. Yay I think. Hah.

Reactions: 1 users
Going to the mountains to team build tomorrow. Kumbayaaaaaa

Reactions: 4 users
A couple people in my class showed up at 7:30am for our first class at 10am yesterday to make sure they got the seats they wanted... :eek: In undergrad I changed seats constantly, I had no clue "claiming seats" was such a big thing.

But everyone does seem very nice which is great.

Last edited:
A couple people in my class showed up at 7:30am for our first class at 10am yesterday to make sure they got the seats they wanted... :eek: In undergrad I changed seats constantly, I had no clue "claiming seats" was such a big thing.

lol. It makes life easy when you have a seat that is constant. Most of the time there is some switching in the first week as people decide who they desire to sit by for three or four hours at a time. I sat in the very back end seat by the door with the cattle guys my years.

Oh geeze, I would have a hard time with that because I love to switch up seats just to irritate people who have gotten married to a particular place in the room. :eek:

Oh geeze, I would have a hard time with that because I love to switch up seats just to irritate people who have gotten married to a particular place in the room. :eek:
You are about to spend four years intimately connected to your classmates. These feelings would not be very helpful. haha

Reactions: 2 users
I like to think I'm just teaching others to be flexible ;)
lol. Seriously though, having a seat that you know is yours makes sense. On mornings one is running late, they don't have to frantically search for the empty seat and disrupt everything. Vet school works best when you have nothing to worry about but learning the material and getting past that class. Not worrying about where to sit, what to wear, all that superfluous crap makes student life easier. Vet school is not undergrad. You don't mess with your classmates because this is a very expensive education and if they need normality to get through it, that is their right.

Reactions: 4 users

Hahahahaha. People showed up <the night before> in my class, if I recall.

So amazing how much emotional distress the whole seat thing caused.

O.O

I think the earliest people showed up in my class was 7:15 and class starts at 8.

Lol, that's serious commitment. I just found a damn open seat and it became mine. I didn't really care that much. I did like having my spot but wasn't the end of the world if it was taken.

Lol, that's serious commitment. I just found a damn open seat and it became mine. I didn't really care that much. I did like having my spot but wasn't the end of the world if it was taken.

That's kinda how I felt. I "liked" having my normal seat, but it wasn't going to ruin my day if someone else took it. My biggest issue was that I have mild hearing loss, and so it was useful for me to sit a) near an overhead speaker, or b) near the front ... if I couldn't do that it was sometimes frustrating with all the normal sub-vocal chitchatting, loud typing, paper shuffling, etc. Nothing that people were "disrespectful" about or anything like that - just normal crowd noises. I was one of those people that liked lecture as a form of learning, so if I couldn't hear I got grumpy.

Today we thought we'd found a hermaphroditic piggy... Then dad farmer comes and crushes our dreams. Hah but it really did look like testicles under that vulva. I think he said hernia or something... Hmm

Ah and I got to go see some Vet Corps stuff happening today which was awesome

I feel bad because I just like to bounce around seats in almost every class. I get antsy sitting in one place sometimes.

Then again, I'm taking some of the vet classes this semester and it's almost inevitable that I will mess up someone's seating arrangements when I'm there, as the classes I'm in are only on the last two days a week and I won't know the seating arrangements that were established on day 1. I should text my friend who's a first year this semester and ask her where everyone is sitting so I minimize the anxiety chaos I cause lol

I don't care if I move every day or sit in the same seat, I just have a general area of the room I like. I just was shocked by the dedication to seats some kids had.

I don't care if I move every day or sit in the same seat, I just have a general area of the room I like. I just was shocked by the dedication to seats some kids had.
you guys will learn. some people take it very seriously. also, it's much easier to get right to where you need to if you're late for any reason.

Wut. That is ridiculous. I sure hope no one in my class did that. I showed up like an hour early on the first day, but that's just because I'm a chronically early person in general and have been my whole life. I always sat in the back in vet school though, and no one wanted to sit there, so I had no issues finding a seat. Did get annoyed the one time that we had a speaker come in and single all of us back-of-the-room-sitters and say we were in the bottom of the class. Well, actually, sir...

Yeah, I can't imagine coming in hours early to get a seat
I totes did that, but I essentially volunteered for a group of us to reserve a group of seats. I also have terrible vision, and never wear glasses, so I needed to make sure I was close to the front (to be fair, I think I only got there an hour ahead of time)

I totes did that, but I essentially volunteered for a group of us to reserve a group of seats. I also have terrible vision, and never wear glasses, so I needed to make sure I was close to the front (to be fair, I think I only got there an hour ahead of time)
this seems like it could have been dealt with differently...

Reactions: 3 users
Wow, I feel like almost everyone has started already. It's only the first day of orientation tomorrow for me!

On the class seats topic, very firmly in the camp of find a seat and stay there. I used to get so anxious and frustrated when someone took my seat, it would throw off my entire day and leave very bad negative impressions of the person who took it (unless they had taken mine because they were also a victim). Luckily, once seats were established most of the time people respected that.

Third year classroom at UMN is a NIGHTMARE classroom. Random poles in the middle makes it so some seats you literally can't see the white board or the professor, outlets are few and far between, and some are directly under A/C vents so have fun freezing the entire time if you get stuck there. People "reserved" seats days before the first day of class in that room and some people convinced the janitor to let them in before the building was unlocked the morning of to claim seats. That totally sucked, especially when you find a string across nearly the entire back row because one of the cow guys reserved the entire line for his buddies. I ended up in a seat under the vent with very limited visibility. The only bonus was it was kind of near a window (there was a window in that classroom!) and had access to an outlet - though my spot was occasionally stolen by other professors sitting in because it was in the back corner.

Picking seats is serious business. Like, super serious. You will sit in that seat for possibly 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (usually less because labs and all that).

Very glad to not have to deal with that anymore.