Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same thing happened with my physio exam yesterday (wow it was just yesterday haha oh man), I wasn't really freaking out because I don't tend to do that, but I was so sure I had tanked it. Nope. Did better than I did on the first one. How even.

I'm super happy and peppy, but freak out to myself behind closed doors :laugh: I was sure I didn't do better than a C. The brain is funny sometimes

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need recommendations for barn boots!

I love my Justin's. I wouldn't recommend ariats because mine always fell apart super quickly, but I know lots of people love them. Mine had to stand the test of riding and wearing them at the barn every day. Depending on foot size, if you can fit into kids boots they will save you close to $100. I wear 6.5 women's and I can fit into kids boots. They have pretty much the same styles, just much cheaper.

I love my Justin's. I wouldn't recommend ariats because mine always fell apart super quickly, but I know lots of people love them. Mine had to stand the test of riding and wearing them at the barn every day. Depending on foot size, if you can fit into kids boots they will save you close to $100. I wear 6.5 women's and I can fit into kids boots. They have pretty much the same styles, just much cheaper.

Ha! I was just about to recommend Ariats as mine are still alive and well after years of daily barn/riding use. I've heard great things about Justin's, just haven't had the chance to try them.

WZ, it kind of depends what you need/want them for. At school we wore tall rubber boots for all of our large animal work - some people got the steel toe/more protective style but no one lost any of their feet ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Ha! I was just about to recommend Ariats as mine are still alive and well after years of daily barn/riding use. I've heard great things about Justin's, just haven't had the chance to try them.

WZ, it kind of depends what you need/want them for. At school we wore tall rubber boots for all of our large animal work - some people got the steel toe/more protective style but no one lost any of their feet ;)

My western ariats died after like nine months of riding but I have ariat paddock boots that are are alive and well after five years or using them constantly. Maybe I just got a bum pair of western ones.

I need recommendations for barn boots!
My my choice of boots for working around horses are either Ariats or Justins
My barn boots for the cows are Muckboots

Just kinda depends what you're doing.

I wear rubber mucks because of ease of cleaning (and if you ever do mobiles, you need to soak and scrub them) for large animal care, and I have ariat dressage boots for riding. They have lasted a long time, but I ONLY use then to ride.

I know several people who lost or nearly lost toes to cows stepping on the metal toes and having them crimp and cut, so I don't wear them. But I also know people who swear the metal toes saved their feet so... whatever makes you feel safer. I personally have had a big toe broken by a cow stepping on it and pivoting, but I was dumb and wore sneakers that day (at home). In boots, I've had the space to curl my toes out of the way of being stepped on a couple times.

I just use rubber muck boots... steel-toed ones are probably safer, but I imagine that they could also cause cuts/bruises if a cow or horse steps on them just right. I think it's up to whichever makes you feel safer, at the end of the day.

ETA: Looks like LoTF ninja'd me and did a better job, lol.
Why, thank you!:love:

I have rubber boots too, but they just seem to be soo much less comfortable than my Justin's. My feet always hurt after wearing them.

What in the world did you do to your ariats! Haha! I just replaced my pair of paddock boots that I've used for about 6 or 7 years...and they really didn't need replacing, I just wanted a new style! I also have a couple pairs of English ariat boots that are still going strong since high school.

Other than my ariats, I love my muck boots (non steel toe is fine) for muddier situations. I even got one with purple soles :) I have a pair of Justin western boots but I think my other ones are comfier. The Justin's have held up well though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Had classes canceled for today because of tropical storm Matthew..... which decided to somehow miss us o_O

Had classes canceled for today because of tropical storm Matthew..... which decided to somehow miss us o_O

We got off one day in Philly when Sandy hit. Did very little in our part of Philly, but it was a perfect reason to blow off studying for a Biochem exam and get drunk instead. I did learn to not play "drunk driving" with boxed Sangria though...

I think I've posted my list of favorite footwear in one of the clothing threads. But I still love my Ariat Terrains for dry horse work, Bogs for wet horse work, Tingley pullovers for cattle. I do have a pair of low muckboots as well but the Bogs keep my feet warmer.

Me with several emails I've gotten today:
tumblr_oaw1fynZC31ty0c2uo1_250.gif
I really wish I could unsubscribe from emails about food animal/equine stuff.

Just for our large animal physical diagnosis labs for right now. Oh, and in case I get called in for large animal emergency team. I think they told us not to get steel toe.

My western ariats died after like nine months of riding but I have ariat paddock boots that are are alive and well after five years or using them constantly. Maybe I just got a bum pair of western ones.
Your Ariats must have been defective. Mine are still going strong through 3 years of moderate riding, 2 years of hardcore riding and 8 years of casual riding, with not the best care... I have a pair of Heritage II Paddocks, and a pair of ProBabies and wouldn't trade them for the world. I lurve my ProBabies.

I do love Ariats, and I wear my terrains 99% of the time, but they do fall apart around the 1 year mark.

...that being said, I ride several horses a day, wear them working around the barn, to school, etc etc. Nothing holds up for more than a year or so. I used to buy the Cobalt Pro paddock boots, but they were too expensive to replace annually.

Highly recommend Ariats. They're all I've ever worn since I started riding (well, I have Sergios and Parlantis for tall boots but that's because Ariat tall boots are ugly and not as comfortable in comparison). I only wear the Ariat Cobalts because they're the only boots I've had that will withstand my use. I have four horses, three of which are in full work and two of which I used to show every weekend -- so my boots have been through a lot! They're incredible comfortable, and they last forever but they're certainly not cheap.

I would wonder why you need boots. Most people in my class who needed boots for horse stuff, but were not going into equine medicine, just wore leather hiking shoes to fulfill the school requirement. We were also not allowed to have anything with a steel toe. If you get stepped on, it's pretty dangerous.

I would wonder why you need boots. Most people in my class who needed boots for horse stuff, but were not going into equine medicine, just wore leather hiking shoes to fulfill the school requirement. We were also not allowed to have anything with a steel toe. If you get stepped on, it's pretty dangerous.
I've been wearing my hiking boots but they suggested something more easily sanitized (like with a rubber or neoprene exterior). I would also just like to have some - would have been nice for zoo work, for if I end up getting to help with necropsy again, etc. I think people went further into riding boots but I really meant like rubber barn boots or something lol

Man, does this immuno class suck. Not even using slides, just reading word for word from a 110 page pack of notes. So slow. So painful.

Reactions: 2 users
Our clinical foundations lab was cancelled today, so we've got a full five hours free until anatomy lecture and lab this afternoon. I'm glad because it means that I have a LOT of time to get my Anki decks caught up to speed (I've definitely been slacking on that lately), but I'm also sad because that's our one chance during the week to actually interact with live animals this semester. :(

Ran for VP of my class and didn't win :( kinda sad.

Sorry Hmoo! I'm sure you would have been a great VP

Don't take not winning to heart. Being a class officer can be a very stressful gig. There are more opportunities to lead in school than you can shake a stick at too if you do some clubs.

Sorry to hear, Hmoo. I'm sure that you would have been a great VP.

Have you considered running for executive or representative positions in clubs/student organizations? There's usually a lot less competition for those! Heck, I'm probably one of the most introverted people in our class and even I managed to snag one. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys ❤️ I'm the exotics animal chair for our wildlife/zoo/exotics/aquatics club, which has been great so far!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks guys ❤️ I'm the exotics animal chair for our wildlife/zoo/exotics/aquatics club, which has been great so far!
Ah I can't wait for officer positions to open up for our avian/wildlife/exotics club. Want!

Reactions: 1 users
I've been wearing my hiking boots but they suggested something more easily sanitized (like with a rubber or neoprene exterior). I would also just like to have some - would have been nice for zoo work, for if I end up getting to help with necropsy again, etc. I think people went further into riding boots but I really meant like rubber barn boots or something lol

If Tractor Supply Co. is a thing where you are, I got a pair of rubber boots there that I use for anatomy lab for like 20 bucks or something a couple of years ago.

Edit: here they are -

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...er-brown-blend-premium-knee-boot?cm_vc=-10005

"Okay. I am actually going to get things done tonight... I've got this histo and anatomy test next week I really need to study for, so I am FOR SURE going to get Anki and my study guides all caught up. I'm going to study tonight, even if it kills me!"

*ends up watching Netflix and procrastinating on SDN for hours*

Reactions: 6 users
VP was the only position that multiple people ran for in my class :bag:
We did decide that the two top candidates for president would just be co-presidents and we have no VP. So that's sorta nice. Yeah, I ran unopposed for Recycling Chair, which is a class officer position for real. lol

We have co-presidents, VP, secretaries, treasurer, academic chair (das me y'all), historians, fundraising chairs, social chairs, community service chairs, and SCAVMA rep. We had multiple people/pairs run for about half of those I think.

I think we had multiple people run at every position. There might have been like 6 people running for VP. There were 2 administrative committee positions that only had 1 person run for.

On another note, we can apparently get 3d printed canine bones from our school library. It's all pretty cheap aside from the skull.

We did decide that the two top candidates for president would just be co-presidents and we have no VP. So that's sorta nice. Yeah, I ran unopposed for Recycling Chair, which is a class officer position for real. lol
What are your responsibilities??

First and second years run the recycling in our veterinary school. We split the money from returnables :D So the second year recycling chair and I work together to coordinate all the recycling stuff - sorting, taking it to the center, money portion, and scheduling people to do it. It's a way that our class gets money. It's also insanely easy and I enjoy being environmentally friendly. No one else wanted to do it, so I stepped up. lol.

Reactions: 4 users