Class of 2020... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So... I've been trying out the Pomodoro technique this weekend and so far I've been super impressed by how much I've managed to get done! Good stuff, though I do think the 5 minute breaks are a little short, so I've been opting for 10-15 minute breaks instead. Managed to plow through a good 20+ pages of nutrition problems using Pomodoro; I think I'm going to stick with it. :)

Reactions: 5 users
Let me fix that for you:

Nervous system.... :wtf:
I told my boyfriend the other night that I'm going to become a sponge veterinarian so I don't have to know anything about the nervous system. :p

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I told my boyfriend the other night that I'm going to become a sponge veterinarian so I don't have to know anything about the nervous system. :p

You'll be fine. All you need to know as a GP is how to refer to the nearest neurologist

Step 1) decide if neuro or orthopedic 1a) if unsure, give pain meds and monitor
Step 2) call your local neuro and give them a vague heads up that something is coming their way but you have no idea WTF it is
Step 3) fill out the referral form and give the owners directions

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine. All you need to know as a GP is how to refer to the nearest neurologist

Step 2) call your local neuro and give them a vague heads up that something is coming their way but you have no idea WTF it is
Good to know! It was mainly just joking frustration at trying to remember the various sympathetic and parasympathetic pathways for my anatomy exam this past Friday. Luckily there weren't very many questions over them and I rocked that test!

Step 4) cry when they won't refer

Reactions: 8 users
I just spent 30 of the past 48 hours studying because I hadn't even looked at or listened to six out of the twelve lectures for tomorrow's test because I was being stubborn and procrastinating because I hated the nervous system so much. Never again do I want to do that.... but I'm sure I will.

I just spent 30 of the past 48 hours studying because I hadn't even looked at or listened to six out of the twelve lectures for tomorrow's test because I was being stubborn and procrastinating because I hated the nervous system so much. Never again do I want to do that.... but I'm sure I will.

It definitely happens. There were a few tests where I literally had a classmate give me the quick key points 5 minutes before the test went out because I never got to them. This was mainly in first year before I got my crap together.

It definitely happens. There were a few tests where I literally had a classmate give me the quick key points 5 minutes before the test went out because I never got to them. This was mainly in first year before I got my crap together.

I definitely spent a bus ride to the school going over concepts that I had not had time to before an exam. And I got very lucky that I did because 75% of that exam was what I covered in that very quick 20 minute review on the ride into school.

Make-up anatomy exam today. They're doing it image based which worries me a bit because I like having the actual dog to have spatial reference. Oh well, just no more make up exams after this one, makes everything else back up too much!

I got an anatomy tutor because for some reason this class is my weak point. She's so awesome, tons of fun to be around.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All of our lectures are recorded. It's done by the vet schools IT department, which is nice because we have 1 prof who seems to be totally against technology

Today I am thankful for exams that don't crush your soul into tiny pieces.

Make up anatomy exam was incredibly rough, the girl I was taking it with felt the same way, we kept looking at each other. I spent the entire weekend with the tutor in the lab off and on and knew that cadaver so well.

To go from being able to trace vessels back, moving a dog around in space, and peeling back muscles to a powerpoint with pictures that half the time had stuff transected and retracted just sucked. Some of the muscles didn't even look like I'd ever seen them before. I'm thankful I even got to take a make up, and I know our professor tried to make it even without setting everything up again for two students, but that was far from an even playing field (in my eyes).

I would've crushed that if it was pins on an actual cadaver dog and horse. Maybe I'll surprise myself again! No more missing stuff w2vm!

#soulcrushed

I seriously don't know how I'm going to survive three years of this. :lame:
You wont believe me when I say this, but you will acclimate as you go. You will be surprised at how much you will be able to take. It's never going to get easier, and you can often feel like you are drowning, but I promise you that you will become a stronger swimmer.

I don't understand vet school. Walked out of a test thinking I aced the written portion and did only okay on the practical. Got my scores back, got a mid C on the written and somehow aced the practical which is cool. But still disappointing when you thought you did so well on something and then actually didn't.

Make up anatomy exam was incredibly rough, the girl I was taking it with felt the same way, we kept looking at each other. I spent the entire weekend with the tutor in the lab off and on and knew that cadaver so well.

To go from being able to trace vessels back, moving a dog around in space, and peeling back muscles to a powerpoint with pictures that half the time had stuff transected and retracted just sucked. Some of the muscles didn't even look like I'd ever seen them before. I'm thankful I even got to take a make up, and I know our professor tried to make it even without setting everything up again for two students, but that was far from an even playing field (in my eyes).

I would've crushed that if it was pins on an actual cadaver dog and horse. Maybe I'll surprise myself again! No more missing stuff w2vm!

#soulcrushed
I bet you did better than you think! But I understand, we have pictures available from past exams to practice with, and it's so hard to tell what's what from just a close-up image that's often really blurry. Even on the real exams, it's challenging not being able to touch or move things.

I don't understand vet school. Walked out of a test thinking I aced the written portion and did only okay on the practical. Got my scores back, got a mid C on the written and somehow aced the practical which is cool. But still disappointing when you thought you did so well on something and then actually didn't.

Seriously me right now. I don't understand why I'm paying so much and studying all the time to be a solid 2.0 student???

After my last final last year, I walked out fully expected to get a call letting me know I needed to repeat first year. After my first midterm, I felt pretty good....and I definitely shouldn't have! So yeah vet school is weird.
I seriously don't know how I'm going to survive three years of this. :lame:
If it helps comfort you at all, it flies by. I know everyone says that, but it seriously goes by so quickly. It sucks while it's happening, but you blink and all of a sudden you're a second year and so on.

Conversation between my doc and I this morning:

Dr: "Are you under a high level of stress?"
Me: "I'm in vet school"
Dr: "You are under a high level of stress."

Ha... Sadly she thinks the GI issues I have been having are related to stress, but got a good a plan to manage things, so hopefully things improve.

Take care of yourselves, friends.

My lab group's cadaver dog is pregnant. :( We had a feeling either she would be or she'd had puppies recently, she has a ton of fat for how small she is and her mammary glands were really swollen. I'm morbidly excited to open her uterus next week and see the fetuses!

My lab group's cadaver dog is pregnant. :( We had a feeling either she would be or she'd had puppies recently, she has a ton of fat for how small she is and her mammary glands were really swollen. I'm morbidly excited to open her uterus next week and see the fetuses!
We thought our cadaver was as well, and I was also hoping to be able to see pups (although it would have been a bit of a downer). Turns out ours had to have pupped within a day or two prior to being euthanized....but we definitely were expecting to see puppies. Her uterus was huuuuuuuge. It made it easier on us during repro.

Oh, then I look forward to seeing your dog. I don't know who you are at the moment but I will soon.

Conversation between my doc and I this morning...

At least the conversation didn't go like this:

Dr: "Fantastic. That was going to be my back-up if I didn't get into medical school!"

At least the conversation didn't go like this:

Dr: "Fantastic. That was going to be my back-up if I didn't get into medical school!"
The funny part being that I've actually had one doctor who told me that she initially wanted to be a vet but couldn't get into vet school, so she "settled" for med school instead. :laugh:

The funny part being that I've actually had one doctor who told me that she initially wanted to be a vet but couldn't get into vet school, so she "settled" for med school instead. :laugh:
I've had 2 MDs ask if I would be willing to go to med school if I didn't get in to vet school. Both offered to write me letters of recommendation.

Part of me would be willing just to stay in the medical field and get the challenge that I am missing out on not going to vet school and the continual progress of the field... most of me thinks people are gross. :rofl:

I should really be studying for my physiology exam tomorrow, but instead I'm going to watch the "treat yo self" episode of Parks and Rec. :D

Reactions: 7 users
The rest of this study guide is pretty well done but I don't remember learning about Night Atrial Pressure Penis Return:

Screen Shot 10-14-16 at 05.28 PM.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
The rest of this study guide is pretty well done but I don't remember learning about Night Atrial Pressure Penis Return:

View attachment 209885

Yeah...I had some interesting typos when I went through my study guides/notes.

I'm also currently terrified of sending a SOAP containing a diagnosis of "pancreatits."

Halfway through the semester here. I'm honestly not doing too great academically. I should have plenty of As in the less intensive classes, I am waiting for a score for the midterm in nutrition that we took a couple of days ago (our only grade in that class thus far), I'm currently straddling the line between a C+ and B- in histophysiology, and I've got a D in anatomy, by my calculations. My failing the lecture portion of that last test killed me. :( We've got our third test over the cardiovascular system in a couple of weeks; that was the material that I actually seemed to grasp the best during my undergrad comparative anatomy course, so I'm hoping for my grade's sake that that holds true for vet school anatomy, as well. We have to maintain at least a 2.0 here or else we are placed on academic probation, and I know with a C+ and a D in the two classes with the highest number of credit hours... well, I'm cutting it close. And I certainly can't afford to fail another test; one F and I'm done. Gotta keep the faith, gotta keep the faith... :xf:

Halfway through the semester here. I'm honestly not doing too great academically. I should have plenty of As in the less intensive classes, I am waiting for a score for the midterm in nutrition that we took a couple of days ago (our only grade in that class thus far), I'm currently straddling the line between a C+ and B- in histophysiology, and I've got a D in anatomy, by my calculations. My failing the lecture portion of that last test killed me. :( We've got our third test over the cardiovascular system in a couple of weeks; that was the material that I actually seemed to grasp the best during my undergrad comparative anatomy course, so I'm hoping for my grade's sake that that holds true for vet school anatomy, as well. We have to maintain at least a 2.0 here or else we are placed on academic probation, and I know with a C+ and a D in the two classes with the highest number of credit hours... well, I'm cutting it close. And I certainly can't afford to fail another test; one F and I'm done. Gotta keep the faith, gotta keep the faith... :xf:

:( I'm sorry it's not going better!! Does your school have any tutoring services that could help you out in anatomy & histo?

Last edited:
Echo the advice to look into tutoring, not just for anatomy but for other classes too, and defi itely talk to your professors as well. And if your study methods aren't working, you might want to try something different there too.

Stupid cold is making it so hard to focus and retain information. This histo exam tomorrow is going to suck. :(

Stupid cold is making it so hard to focus and retain information. This histo exam tomorrow is going to suck. :(

I feel yea, that was me last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

:hello:

I totally fell off of posting for like two months but I caught up on this thread at least!

My summarized thoughts on the fifteen pages of thread I just went through:
  • You're all wonderful and vet school is hard. Don't feel bad when vet school gets you down & you're not a bad person if it is getting you down
  • Everyone should go to a counselor because they'll teach you so many great stress and life management strategies. Plus (at least for me) it's a free person to complain to who won't share any of your drama with anyone else.
  • If you keep your nose to the grindstone all of the time you'll grind your whole face off
  • Pay attention to what your body is telling you it needs. Sometimes you get sick and skipping sleep/ignoring it won't make you feel better any faster
  • Eat. Drink (water? alcohol? Depends on what's ailin' ya. My vote's on water). Survive.
  • :biglove: to all of you

Reactions: 12 users
Good luck! My second histo exam last week was brutal, so I hope yours isn't

:hello:

I totally fell off of posting for like two months but I caught up on this thread at least!

My summarized thoughts on the fifteen pages of thread I just went through:
  • You're all wonderful and vet school is hard. Don't feel bad when vet school gets you down & you're not a bad person if it is getting you down
  • Everyone should go to a counselor because they'll teach you so many great stress and life management strategies. Plus (at least for me) it's a free person to complain to who won't share any of your drama with anyone else.
  • If you keep your nose to the grindstone all of the time you'll grind your whole face off
  • Pay attention to what your body is telling you it needs. Sometimes you get sick and skipping sleep/ignoring it won't make you feel better any faster
  • Eat. Drink (water? alcohol? Depends on what's ailin' ya. My vote's on water). Survive.
  • :biglove: to all of you

I missed you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile