class of 2023!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Preparing for my interview at Midwestern-Chicago, has anyone interviewed there and could tell me what to expect? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
I applied to Salus and they sent me a email saying they received my application on August 20th. I have not heard anything back yet.. kind of a little worried. Is it to email to be calling or emailing?

Date OptomCAS submitted: August 6th
Date verified: August 18th
OAT Scores: TS 300 AA 300
Major: Biology BA minor Anthropology
GPA: C:3.25 S:3.3
Extracurricular Activities:pre-opt club, anthropology club, 40 hours shadowing, working at the optometry school clinic as a receptionist, independent lab study under a professor at IUSO and various part time jobs and volunteer stuff
Schools applied: IUSO

Interviews extended/date: IUSO 8/19
Interviews accepted: IUSO 9/7
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date IUSO 9/7

Just apply and show your resolve and passion towards the optometry field. If you have any questions regarding IUSO I can try and answer them. I am so excited my dream came true!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/30/2018
Date verified: 9/11/2018
OAT Scores: 330 AA/350 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.71 science
Extracurricular Activities: shadowing 3 optometrist, volunteer, internship at SUNY, pre-optometry club, scholarships, clinical experience
Schools applied: SUNY, Salus, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: SUNY 9/12/18, Salus 9/13/18
Interviews accepted: SUNY 10/10/18, Salus 9/27/18
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Salus 10/3/18

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/30/2018
Date verified: 9/11/2018
OAT Scores: 330 AA/350 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.71 science
Extracurricular Activities: shadowing 3 optometrist, volunteer, internship at SUNY, pre-optometry club, scholarships, clinical experience
Schools applied: SUNY, Salus, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: SUNY 9/12/18, Salus 9/13/18
Interviews accepted: SUNY 10/10/18, Salus 9/27/18
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Hi! Good luck with your interviews! I have an interview with SUNY as well, a few days after yours (10/15/18).

Date OptomCAS submitted: 07-16-2018
Date verified: 07-20-18
OAT Scores: 350 AA/330 TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.49 overall, 3.30 science (optomcas calculated)
Extracurricular Activities: Pre-Optometry Club, 130+ hours of shadowing
Schools applied: OSU, ICO, SALUS, UMSL, Midwestern-Chicago
Interviews extended/date: OSU - 07-16-18, UMSL - 7-25-18, Midwestern-Chicago - 8-7-18,
SALUS - 8-8-18
Interviews accepted: OSU - 7-27-18, UMSL 8-27-18
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
OSU - 8-2-18

I'll keep updating if I get more interviews and when I found out if I get accepted anywhere!
Good luck to everyone!
Hi! Congrats on the interviews!! Did you interview at Midwestern IL? I have an interview October 1st and have no idea what to expect and was wondering if you can give any info on it! Thank you!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/26/18
Date verified: 7/31/18
OAT Scores: 370 AA / 360 TS
Major: Biology (chem and business minors)
GPA: 3.756
Extracurricular Activities: lots of shadowing and leadership experience
Schools applied: NOVA, UAB, AZCOPT
Interviews extended/date: AZCOPT (7/31), UAB (8/2), NOVA (8/8)
Interviews accepted: NOVA (8/17), AZCOPT (8/24)
Interviews declined: UAB (9/15)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: NOVA (8/23), AZCOPT (8/28)
What did you do to study for the OAT and how long did you study for?

Hi! Congrats on the interviews!! Did you interview at Midwestern IL? I have an interview October 1st and have no idea what to expect and was wondering if you can give any info on it! Thank you!
I actually haven’t scheduled that interview yet because I’m waiting to see from ICO first!

I still have not submitted my applications (NECO, ICO, Salus, SUNY) but I'm planning on by the end of the month to mid October. Is that too late?

Preparing for my interview at Midwestern-Chicago, has anyone interviewed there and could tell me what to expect? Thanks!
Hey, i actually just called them, its open file and 2 people will be interviewing us, its not MMI.

I still have not submitted my applications (NECO, ICO, Salus, SUNY) but I'm planning on by the end of the month to mid October. Is that too late?

These schools all have rolling admission so the earlier you apply the better your chances, also higher chances of receiving scholarships if the funds are still available. With that being said it's still relatively early in the application cycle so you should be okay even if you apply in October, these are all great schools - best of luck :) !

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/13/2018
Date verified: 8/28/2018
OAT Scores: 340 AA/ 330 TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.66
Extracurricular Activities: 400+ hours intern for optometrist, played varsity baseball for four years
Schools applied: NECO, Salus, MCPHS, NOVA
Interviews extended/date: Salus 8/30 (3 year program), NOVA 9/13, NECO 9/14
Interviews accepted: Salus 10/9, NOVA 10/26, NECO 10/1
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
If anyone else is interviewing for the accelerated scholars at Salus or has any advice for MMI interviewing let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is MMI?
It stands for multiple mini interview. It is an interviewing technique that some schools use where they ask these difficult ethical questions and you have about a minute to come up with an answer and present it to the interviewers.

These schools all have rolling admission so the earlier you apply the better your chances, also higher chances of receiving scholarships if the funds are still available. With that being said it's still relatively early in the application cycle so you should be okay even if you apply in October, these are all great schools - best of luck :) !
Great thank you! Also I'm a Canadian student so that makes me worry even more about submitting my application asap haha. Thanks again!

Great thank you! Also I'm a Canadian student so that makes me worry even more about submitting my application asap haha. Thanks again!

I'm not sure about other schools but I know NECO has large Canadian representation, maybe this eases your worries a bit!

Date OptomCAS submitted: August 6th
Date verified: August 18th
OAT Scores: TS 300 AA 300
Major: Biology BA minor Anthropology
GPA: C:3.25 S:3.3
Extracurricular Activities:pre-opt club, anthropology club, 40 hours shadowing, working at the optometry school clinic as a receptionist, independent lab study under a professor at IUSO and various part time jobs and volunteer stuff
Schools applied: IUSO
Interviews extended/date: IUSO 8/19
Interviews accepted: IUSO 9/7
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date IUSO 9/7

Just apply and show your resolve and passion towards the optometry field. If you have any questions regarding IUSO I can try and answer them. I am so excited my dream came true!!!!
How soon after admissions day did you receive acceptance? Congratulations!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/29/18
Date verified: 8/5/18
OAT Scores: 360 AA/350 TS
Major: Psychobiology
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years internship exp w/optometry, greek life, dance team, hospital volunteer, Sunday school youth mentor
Schools applied: UHCO, PUCO, Western, SCCO
Interviews extended/date: UHCO, PUCO, Western, SCCO
Interviews accepted: UHCO (9/17), PUCO (9/7), SCCO (10/6)
Interviews declined: Western, SCCO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UHCO (9/20), PUCO (9/14)

Will be going to UHCO next year!

Last edited:
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years internship exp w/optometry, greek life, dance team, hospital volunteer, Sunday school youth mentor
Interviews declined: Western
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UHCO (9/20), PUCO (9/14)
Hi! Congrats on your acceptances! I was wondering if you could tell me how the interview day at UHCO was. Was the interview stressful or more conversational? And did they notify you of your acceptance via mail or email? Thanks :)

Hi! Congrats on your acceptances! I was wondering if you could tell me how the interview day at UHCO was. Was the interview stressful or more conversational? And did they notify you of your acceptance via mail or email? Thanks :)

Thank you! Interview day as a whole is pretty relaxing and more of the admissions staff showing what UHCO has to offer. The equipment and facility is amazing to see during the campus tour if you get a chance to see them. The interview was straightforward. It was open file so be prepared to answer any concerns they find about your OAT or GPA. But as long as you are honest and seem that you are genuinely passionate about optometry you should be fine . Like in the "what to expect on interview day" file they send to you, the interview is roughly 20-30 minutes depending on what the panel wants to learn about you. The panel at first seemed really serious, but don't let that phase you. Each faculty member is from a different part of the optometry practice so if one of their area is of interest to you, don't be afraid in asking in depth of what they do during your time to ask questions. The typical "why optometry?" and "why UHCO?" came up so be prepared to launch into your answer with that. Since the tour is before the interview, you might be able to add some other things as to why you want to attend UHCO. Lyle, the admissions counselor is very welcoming as well as Michelle, both of them were able to answer any questions I or the rest of the interviewers had at any time of the day. I hope this was helpful, any other questions feel free to ask me! :)

Last edited:
Interviews declined: Western
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UHCO (9/20), PUCO (9/14)

@eyes4opto we were in the same interview group for UHCO! Congrats on getting accepted :)

Aw yes! So happy you heard back as well :) Congrats on your acceptance and best of luck on your next interview!

SdlHOVn
Those applying to NOVA may want to reconsider, just a heads up.
SdlHOVn
42189804_10155792880381417_6006786881881112576_n.jpg

SdlHOVn
Those applying to NOVA may want to reconsider, just a heads up.
SdlHOVn
42189804_10155792880381417_6006786881881112576_n.jpg

I thought more funding would create a bigger positive impact, are you saying reconsider because this is a negative thing? Just curious on your thoughts

What did you do to study for the OAT and how long did you study for?
Honestly I only studied for a month. That was a very bad decision and I hated myself for it. I would say 3 months would have been ideal so I wouldn’t have been cramming and stressing as much as I did. That being said- I used Chads videos A LOT (the mans a lifesaver) and I used Kaplan’s practice tests. I scored lower on the practice tests than on the actual test so that was a fun surprise.

I thought more funding would create a bigger positive impact, are you saying reconsider because this is a negative thing? Just curious on your thoughts
It's a complete sellout and incredibly damaging to the profession. You're tying in a corporation with an educational institution. There is a basis for corporate optometry but they cheapen what optometry stands for in the first place. If you're on ODs on Facebook go check out the thread. I doubt this will actually happen. They would lose too much in alum donations.
Petition Stop the Renaming of NSU College of Optometry

Thank you! Interview day as a whole is pretty relaxing and more of the admissions staff showing what UHCO has to offer. The equipment and facility is amazing to see during the campus tour if you get a chance to see them. The interview was straightforward. It was open file so be prepared to answer any concerns they find about your OAT or GPA. But as long as you are honest and seem that you are genuinely passionate about optometry you should be fine . Like in the "what to expect on interview day" file they send to you, the interview is roughly 20-30 minutes depending on what the panel wants to learn about you. The panel at first seemed really serious, but don't let that phase you. Each faculty member is from a different part of the optometry practice so if one of their area is of interest to you, don't be afraid in asking in depth of what they do during your time to ask questions. The typical "why optometry?" and "why UHCO?" came up so be prepared to launch into your answer with that. Since the tour is before the interview, you might be able to add some other things as to why you want to attend UHCO. Lyle, the admissions counselor is very welcoming as well as Michelle, both of them were able to answer any questions I or the rest of the interviewers had at any time of the day. I hope this was helpful, any other questions feel free to ask me! :)
i have a few questions..could you please message me? i am having trouble viewing your profile/messaging you

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/22/18
Date verified: 09/23/18
OAT Scores: 300AA/ 300TS
Major: Kinesiology
GPA: 3.16 (overall) / 3.12 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association, undergraduate teaching assistant for biology
Schools applied: SCCO, ICO, Western, Midwestern (AZ), Midwestern (IL)
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28), ICO (10/11), SCCO (02/07)
Interviews accepted: Western (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15), ICO (10/26) Midwestern (AZ) (11/02), SCCO (02/22)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Western (10/15), Midwestern (IL) (10/16), Midwestern (AZ) (11/14), ICO (02/15)

Last edited:
GPA: 3.13 (overall) / 3.08 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: 3 and half years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ)
Interviews accepted: Midwestern (AZ) 10/12/18
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Haven't officially submitted Western's application as I am still filling out the supplemental questions, and waiting to get the second email from SCCO to pay the supplemental fees.

Wow! I can't believe they verified your application so quickly. I feel like most take about a week, but I wouldn't complain if mine worked that quickly. Seems strange because I submitted mine on the 22 of Sept, but it still hasn't been verified. Regardless, good luck with your interviews!

Wow! I can't believe they verified your application so quickly. I feel like most take about a week, but I wouldn't complain if mine worked that quickly. Seems strange because I submitted mine on the 22 of Sept, but it still hasn't been verified. Regardless, good luck with your interviews!
I was also pretty shocked! But to provide some additional context, I've had all my official transcripts sent to OptomCAS and received since like early August.. Coincidentally my official OAT scores were processed the day just before I submitted my applications! I was told that everything gets verified relatively quickly once everything has been received! Maybe I was just getting lucky..

And thank you! Good luck with your application cycle as well! :)

I was also pretty shocked! But to provide some additional context, I've had all my official transcripts sent to OptomCAS and received since like early August.. Coincidentally my official OAT scores were processed the day just before I submitted my applications! I was told that everything gets verified relatively quickly once everything has been received! Maybe I was just getting lucky..

And thank you! Good luck with your application cycle as well! :)

I also had my transcripts at the end of August and had my official OAT in the middle of August... I hope mine gets verified soon haha:xf: I don't think this matters too much, but did you have your LORs done when you submitted your application?

I also had my transcripts at the end of August and had my official OAT in the middle of August... I hope mine gets verified soon haha:xf: I don't think this matters too much, but did you have your LORs done when you submitted your application?
Yes all of my LORs were completed relatively early as well. What does the status of your applications state on OptomCAS?

Yes all of my LORs were completed relatively early as well. What does the status of your applications state on OptomCAS?
That could be my problem... even though they say LORs don't have to be done before they are verified, I could see them giving preference to those who have that all in. On OptomCAS it says they are all "complete".

I'm also a Canadian student applying - I tried to send you a message as I have a few questions but it wouldn't let me - are you able to send me one? :)

That could be my problem... even though they say LORs don't have to be done before they are verified, I could see them giving preference to those who have that all in. On OptomCAS it says they are all "complete".
Submitting and Completing Your OptomCAS Application

Yeah you are encouraged to submit prior to having everything in but OptomCAS will not verify your applications until they receive everything which includes LOR evaluations!

Yeah you are encouraged to submit prior to having everything in but OptomCAS will not verify your applications until they receive everything which includes LOR evaluations!

Oh dang it, I swear I read somewhere that they would verify without all of the LOR. But thank you for pointing that out for me!! Best of luck to you!

EDIT: The OptomCAS directions are a little confusing, and so we both had come to the conclusion that all letter of recommendations had to be complete to be verified. This is NOT true. I believe you need to have the section "complete" (so have the letter of recommendations requested or possibly need at least one submitted, not entirely sure). Just thought I would let you all know in case you also were wondering!

Last edited:
Oh dang it, I swear I read somewhere that they would verify without all of the LOR. But thank you for pointing that out for me!! Best of luck to you!
No worries! Same to you as well! :D

GPA: 3.14 (overall) / 3.08 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association, undergraduate teaching assistant for biology
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25)
Interviews accepted: Midwestern (AZ) (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Submitted Western's application 09/24/18 and paid SCCO's supplemental fee today on 09/25/18! Have yet to receive an email from ICO stating they have received my application..

Congrats on your interviews! I was wondering how many hours did you shadow in opthalmology and vision therapy?

Congrats on your interviews! I was wondering how many hours did you shadow in opthalmology and vision therapy?
Thank you and on OptomCAS I listed them as "Per diem" and I just put that I would shadow about 5 hrs a week, and put a total of 4 weeks, and it just calculated that. It was kinda annoying to list that during the experiences part of OptomCAS tbh..

Thank you and on OptomCAS I listed them as "Per diem" and I just put that I would shadow about 5 hrs a week, and put a total of 4 weeks, and it just calculated that. It was kinda annoying to list that during the experiences part of OptomCAS tbh..

Its been so hard finding a Optometrist that would allow me to shadow them more than 2 times :(

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/21/18
Date verified: 9/26/18
OAT Scores: 370 AA/370 TS
Major: Biology/Psychology minor
GPA: 3.92
Extracurricular Activities: Alpha Kappa Sigma service sorority, CSBeats a cappella, women's choir, biology club, intro biology lab TA, work as a library assistant, and 8-week optometry internship + shadowing
Schools applied: IUSO, PUCO, SCCO, PCO, NECO
Interviews extended/date: IUSO (9/25), PCO (9/27), NECO (9/27), SCCO (10/3), *PUCO(10/8)
Interviews accepted: NECO (10/12), IUSO (10/19), PUCO (10/26)
Interviews declined: SCCO, PCO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NECO (10/16), IUSO (10/22), PUCO (11/1)

*PUCO: for those who are wondering why PUCO took so long, technically my optometrist LOR was not complete until 10/5 and I received an email that they would begin processing my application 10/8.

UPDATE: I am attending IUSO!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/21/18
Date verified:
8/23/18
OAT Scores: 360AA/360TS
Major: health sciences
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities:
division 1 athlete, pre-optometry club president, various random volunteering for events, and ~40ish shadowing hours
Schools applied:
IUSO & SCO
Interviews extended/date:
8/23/18
Interviews accepted:
IUSO (9/7) & SCO (9/14)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
IUSO (9/13) & SCO (9/20)
Going to IUSO!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/01/18
Date verified: 08/10/18
OAT Scores: 350 AA / 350 TS
Major: Biochemistry, Sociology
GPA: 3.80
Extracurricular Activities: 1000+ hours tech at 2 practices, shadowing, POPS, 500 hrs chemistry research, volunteer tutor
Schools applied: SCO, UHCO, UIWRSO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (08/10), UIWRSO (08/15), UHCO (08/20)
Interviews accepted: SCO (09/21), UHCO (09/17)
Interviews declined: UIWRSO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UHCO (9/23), SCO (9/27)

Good luck to everyone!!

Update: Got accepted in UHCO and SCO! Decided to go to SCO!

GPA: 3.14 (overall) / 3.08 (science)
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28)
Interviews accepted: Midwestern (AZ) (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UPDATE: Just got offered an interview from Western but the dates they have available conflict with my other interview dates! :arghh: Still waiting from SCCO and ICO..

No, my friend submitted his app in November got into all his schools!