class of 2023!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, my friend submitted his app in November got into all his schools!

thank you so much! :)

also i was wondering if you guys know how strict SUNY is regarding it's LOR policy being two professors and one optometrist? i have a letter from an optometrist i shadowed with and a professor who i'm doing my honours thesis with so far, and i'm planning on getting one from my work manager. however, i'm having trouble finding another professor to write a letter for me. i never really took advantage of office hours or really got the opportunity to talk to my profs as i'm more of an independent learner. would SUNY be okay with having a TA write a letter (cosigned by a professor), or does it have to be another professor? this has got me so stressed :(

Members don't see this ad.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/12
Date verified: 8/16
OAT Scores: 320 AA/300 TS (taken 8/12)
Major: Biomedical Science
GPA: 3.41
Extracurricular Activities: 60+ hours of shadowing at multiple locations, research assistant in vision lab for 2+ years (presented at research conferences), Certified Nursing Assistant for 2+ years, participated in a Medical Brigade (was fundraising chair), 3 honor societies (founder/secretary of 1 of them), member of co-ed service fraternity, Love Your Melon volunteer/crew member, knitting club, representative in dorms Hall Council (3 years in a row), participated in multiple service events, marketing/social media manager for college's career and professional success office, participated in a career/professional mentoring program, tutor for biology, volunteered at the Upper Valley Brain Bee at Dartmouth.
Schools applied: SCO, NECO, NOVA, PCO, ICO, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: SCO (8/17), NECO (8/22), PCO (8/22), NOVA (8/29), ICO (9/13), MCPHS (9/14)
Interviews accepted: SCO (9/21), NECO (10/1), NOVA (10/5)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO (9/27), NOVA (10/11), NECO (10/17)

Going to NECO :)

Last edited:
Extracurricular Activities: 60+ hours of shadowing at multiple locations, research assistant in vision lab for 2+ years (presented at research conferences), Certified Nursing Assistant for 2+ years, participated in a Medical Brigade (was fundraising chair), 3 honor societies (founder/secretary of 1 of them), member of co-ed service fraternity, Love Your Melon volunteer/crew member, knitting club, representative in dorms Hall Council (3 years in a row), participated in multiple service events, marketing/social media manager for college's career and professional success office, participated in a career/professional mentoring program, tutor for biology, volunteered at the Upper Valley Brain Bee at Dartmouth.
Interviews extended/date: SCO (8/17), NECO (8/22), PCO (8/22), NOVA (8/29), ICO (9/13), MCPHS (9/14)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO (9/27)
Congrats on your acceptances and interviews!! I just was going to ask how you felt about the NECO interview and what I should expect. I have an interview there in a week and it is definitely one of my top schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptances and interviews!! I just was going to ask how you felt about the NECO interview and what I should expect. I have an interview there in a week and it is definitely one of my top schools.
So for the interview you get there and there’s a little breakfast thing set up and you can grab something to eat and talk with the other candidates. Then they brought us into this other room and the president talked to us and asked us to introduce ourselves (he asked us about why optometry/why NECO). Then the admissions people showed us some videos. After that you are put in a group that either goes on tour first or does the interview first. I went on the tour first, and it’s two students that just show you around for 45 minutes. We didn’t get to go in any of the classrooms (the one we were supposed to go in was being used) or labs, which was disappointing. We did get to see the pre-clinic rooms though which was nice. The tour guides did explain basic stuff but I would definitely be prepared with questions because I got most of the information from asking them questions. Then I had my interview which was super laid back. The interviewer just wants to get to know you (and it is an open file interview). My interviewer asked how I got into optometry and asked about some of the extracurricular things I was involved in. He asked me if there was ever a time that I struggled and how I got through that (I talked about not doing so well in one of my classes and what actions I took to improve for next time). Then they bussed us over to the new clinical training center and eye clinic (it’s in the same building). That was super impressive they have all new equipment and technology. They even let us use the slit lamps and they sent us a picture of our eye! After that we went back to the main building and the admissions people talked a little bit about financial aid. I’d definitely be prepared with questions for your tour guide, interviewer, the clinic faculty member and the admissions people. Everyone was super nice though so I wouldn’t stress out about it at all.

Hope that answered your question, if you want to know about any other specifics feel free to send me a message!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/22/18
Date verified: 09/23/18
OAT Scores: 300AA/ 300TS
Major: Kinesiology
GPA: 3.14 (overall) / 3.08 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association, undergraduate teaching assistant for biology
Schools applied: SCCO, ICO, Western, Midwestern (AZ), Midwestern (IL)
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28), SCCO application placed on hold (10/03)
Interviews accepted: Western (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15), Midwestern (AZ) (10/26)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

UPDATE: SCCO emailed me stating that they would like to see my Fall grades, and advised me to retake the OAT with a goal score of 330 AA (which I figured). I'm still debating whether or not I will actually retake the OAT, depending on how my other interviews go and how I end up liking the schools.. SCCO has been my number one choice, but I'm not gonna ungrateful to the schools that would offer me the same education! Will continue to update that throughout the application cycle.

Also, I emailed ICO today about why I haven't received an email from them stating they received my application, will update what their response is..

So for the interview you get there and there’s a little breakfast thing set up and you can grab something to eat and talk with the other candidates. Then they brought us into this other room and the president talked to us and asked us to introduce ourselves (he asked us about why optometry/why NECO). Then the admissions people showed us some videos. After that you are put in a group that either goes on tour first or does the interview first. I went on the tour first, and it’s two students that just show you around for 45 minutes. We didn’t get to go in any of the classrooms (the one we were supposed to go in was being used) or labs, which was disappointing. We did get to see the pre-clinic rooms though which was nice. The tour guides did explain basic stuff but I would definitely be prepared with questions because I got most of the information from asking them questions. Then I had my interview which was super laid back. The interviewer just wants to get to know you (and it is an open file interview). My interviewer asked how I got into optometry and asked about some of the extracurricular things I was involved in. He asked me if there was ever a time that I struggled and how I got through that (I talked about not doing so well in one of my classes and what actions I took to improve for next time). Then they bussed us over to the new clinical training center and eye clinic (it’s in the same building). That was super impressive they have all new equipment and technology. They even let us use the slit lamps and they sent us a picture of our eye! After that we went back to the main building and the admissions people talked a little bit about financial aid. I’d definitely be prepared with questions for your tour guide, interviewer, the clinic faculty member and the admissions people. Everyone was super nice though so I wouldn’t stress out about it at all.

Hope that answered your question, if you want to know about any other specifics feel free to send me a message!
That was definitely a good answer!! Thank you so much for all the information!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 6/30
Date verified: 8/10
OAT Scores: 310 AA/300 TS (taken 3/24)
Major: None. Applied with 90+ credits.
GPA: 3.38 overall / 2.97 science
Extracurricular Activities: one year as an optometric tech part time. pre-optometry club. shadowing 20+ hours
Schools applied: MCO, OSU, ICO
Interviews extended/date: ICO (8/29)
Interviews accepted: ICO (9/28)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: ICO (10/05)

That was definitely a good answer!! Thank you so much for all the information!
Yeah no problem! I forgot to say after the bus tour they paired us up with a current student for lunch so we could ask them questions

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/30/18
Date verified: 10/08/18
OAT Scores: 330 AA / 350 TS
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.43
Extracurricular Activities: TA, pre-health organization, 2+ years experience in optical/as a technician, 100+ hrs shadowing
Schools applied: Salus, Midwestern, NSUO and ICO
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted: Salus 10/12
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

It stands for multiple mini interview. It is an interviewing technique that some schools use where they ask these difficult ethical questions and you have about a minute to come up with an answer and present it to the interviewers.

Hi! I am interviewing for the salus scholars! Good luck on your interview tomorrow!! Let me know how it goes!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/26/18
Date verified: 8/28/18
OAT Scores: 310 AA / 320 TS
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.5
Extracurricular Activities: Pre-Optometry Club, Optometric Technician, 50 hrs shadowing (VT, Peds,Geriatrics, Opthamology,private, franchise), 100+ hrs of Volunteering at Hospital, Vosh Volunteer, Lab Assistant
Schools applied: SCCO, Salus, ICO, Midwestern Chicago, IUSO, Nova
Interviews extended/date: SCCO 9/4, Salus 8/30, Nova 9/10, ICO 9/25, Midwestern 10/02, IUSO, 8/31
Interviews accepted: SCCO 10/06, ICO 10/18
Interviews declined: Salus, Nova, Midwestern, IUSO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCCO 10/08, ICO 11/5
Going to SCCO!

Last edited:
Preparing for my interview at Midwestern-Chicago, has anyone interviewed there and could tell me what to expect? Thanks!
hi, i just had my interview there. I was wondering how long it took for you to hear back from them? Hope yours went well

Hi!
I applied to Salus and they sent me a email saying they received my application on August 20th. I have not heard anything back yet.. kind of a little worried. Is it to email to be calling or emailing?
Hey have you heard back? because i am in the same situation and just emailed them, but still no response lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey have you heard back? because i am in the same situation and just emailed them, but still no response lol
Hey,

No I have not heard back yet ... I called today and left a message so hopefully they get back to me soon! I think they take 2 weeks to respond after interview. That how long it took them to tell me I was put on Standby in March after my interview. I have not heard back from them for a interview for this cycle yet tho.

I'm interested to apply but curious about job market. Is it hard to get a job after grad?

Hey,

No I have not heard back yet ... I called today and left a message so hopefully they get back to me soon! I think they take 2 weeks to respond after interview. That how long it took them to tell me I was put on Standby in March after my interview. I have not heard back from them for a interview for this cycle yet tho.

Would you mind sharing why they put you on standby back in March?

Would you mind sharing why they put you on standby back in March?

They told me they had already given all their admission offers to other students .. thats the only answer I got from them tbh. I didn't even know what standby meant, because apparently they have a waitlist also.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/2/8
Date verified: 9/10/18
OAT Scores:
360 AA/ 340TS
Major: Public Health
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities: shadowing, work as optometry technician for ~7 months (15hrs a week), vision screenings outreach, service fraternity
Schools applied: SCCO, ICO, MCPHS, UCB, Western
Interviews extended/date: SCCO (9/15), MCPHS (9/17), Western (9/20), Berkeley (1/5/19)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (10/6), Western (11/16), Berkeley (2/2/19)
Interviews declined: MCPHS, ICO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCCO (10/8), Western (11/29), Berkeley (2/07/19)

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/13/2018
Date verified: 8/28/2018
OAT Scores: 340 AA/ 330 TS
GPA: 3.66
Extracurricular Activities: 400+ hours intern for optometrist, played varsity baseball for four years
Schools applied: NECO, Salus, MCPHS, NOVA
Interviews extended/date: Salus 8/30 (3 year program), NOVA 9/13, NECO 9/14
Interviews accepted: Salus 10/9, NOVA 10/26, NECO 10/1
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
If anyone else is interviewing for the accelerated scholars at Salus or has any advice for MMI interviewing let me know!
Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/13/2018
Date verified: 8/28/2018
OAT Scores: 340 AA/ 330 TS
GPA: 3.66
Extracurricular Activities: 400+ hours intern for optometrist, played varsity baseball for four years
Schools applied: NECO, Salus, MCPHS, NOVA
Interviews extended/date: Salus 8/30 (3 year program), NOVA 9/13, NECO 9/14
Interviews accepted: Salus 10/9, NOVA 10/26, NECO 10/1
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
If anyone else is interviewing for the accelerated scholars at Salus or has any advice for MMI interviewing let me know!

Hey! i was wondering how it went! Were the questions difficult? Thanks!

Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association, undergraduate teaching assistant for biology
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28), SCCO application placed on hold (10/03), ICO (10/11)
Interviews accepted:
Western (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15), Midwestern (AZ) (10/26)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
UPDATE: Received email from ICO stating they received my application on 10/08, later that day I received the email invite to fill out the supplemental application. Submitted the supplemental on 10/09, and received the interview invite email on 10/11. Currently waiting to call the admissions office to schedule!

I have now officially heard back from all my schools applied, and have interviews with all of them besides one! Good luck to everyone else applying this cycle! I will continue to update my status as the cycle goes on! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/25
Date verified: 09/26
OAT Scores: 380 AA/400 TS
GPA: 3.56
Extracurricular Activities: shadowed 3 optometrists, volunteered and worked at optometry clinics as an optometric assistant, honours thesis project on visual perception, president of pre-optometry club
Schools applied: ICO and NOVA
Interviews extended/date: ICO 10/11, NOVA 10/12
Interviews accepted: ICO 10/30, NOVA 11/2
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
ICO 11/05

I'm super excited, best of luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
Hey! i was wondering how it went! Were the questions difficult? Thanks!
Hey! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There were 7 stations but one was a rest station which was nice. The questions were a little outside of the box but overall nothing crazy or super ethical about them. The interviewers asked a lot questions so talking for 7-8 minutes wasn't bad at all! All of the interviewers were also nice so nothing to be scared about. If you have any other questions message me!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/30/2018
Date verified: 9/11/2018
OAT Scores: 330 AA/350 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.71 science
Extracurricular Activities: shadowing 3 optometrist, volunteer, internship at SUNY, pre-optometry club, scholarships, clinical experience
Schools applied: SUNY, Salus, MCPHS
Interviews extended/date: SUNY 9/12/18, Salus 9/13/18
Interviews accepted: SUNY 10/10/18, Salus 9/27/18
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Salus 10/3/18
SUNY 10/12/18

Going to SUNY next year!!!!

SUNY 10/12/18

Going to SUNY next year!!!!

Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing your interview experience ? I have mine coming up in a few days and SUNY is one of my top schools and I'm really hoping that I do well in my interview.

Hey! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There were 7 stations but one was a rest station which was nice. The questions were a little outside of the box but overall nothing crazy or super ethical about them. The interviewers asked a lot questions so talking for 7-8 minutes wasn't bad at all! All of the interviewers were also nice so nothing to be scared about. If you have any other questions message me!

Hi there! :)

Thank you so much for responding to message!! I hope all of your interviews are going well for you! I would love to message you but I think your profile is on private! :/ I was wondering if you had suggestions to study up on some ethical questions or how you prepared! Was the MMI more like a conversation? Also are we able to take some notes before going in? Also...will we have a normal interview too on top of the mmi?

Sorry for so many questions....thanks again!

Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing your interview experience ? I have mine coming up in a few days and SUNY is one of my top schools and I'm really hoping that I do well in my interview.

Also would be interested in your SUNY experience. I have my interview in a few days as well. What day is your interview @rsod07 if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! the interviewer are nice and relaxed me a lot since I wasn't feeling well that day. The major questions are why optometry and why suny. if you have more questions, feel free to message me! Good luck!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/01
Date verified: 10/10
OAT Scores: 300 AA/ 310 TS
Major: Health Sciences
GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular Activities: president of pre-optometry club, 20 hrs shadowing, volunteer at school clinic, active volunteer with CNIB
Schools applied: NECO & ICO
Interviews extended/date: NECO 10/11, ICO 10/20
Interviews accepted: NECO 11/16, ICO 11/15
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NECO 11/21, ICO 11/30

Going to ICO!

Last edited:
Thank you! the interviewer are nice and relaxed me a lot since I wasn't feeling well that day. The major questions are why optometry and why suny. if you have more questions, feel free to message me! Good luck!

Hi! Just letting you know that I’ve been accepted into SUNY! I’ll be going there next year as well :)

Hi! Just letting you know that I’ve been accepted into SUNY! I’ll be going there next year as well :)

Congrats!!! Did you hear back right after the interview?? How did it go? My interview is tomorrow

Congrats!!! Did you hear back right after the interview?? How did it go? My interview is tomorrow

Yeah I heard back pretty quickly which was awesome! Honestly I overprepared for the interview which I think was a good thing. Just be yourself! It was a relaxed atmosphere and everyone you meet is incredibly nice! The interviewers genuinely just want to get to know you!! Good luck!!!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/09/18
Date verified: 10/12/18
OAT Scores: 340 AA / 330 TS
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.65
Extracurricular Activities: Golden Key club, Optometric Assistant, 50 hrs shadowing
Schools applied: NECO, Salus, ICO, Indiana
Interviews extended/date: Salus 10/15/18, NECO 10/18/18, Indiana 10/17/18
Interviews accepted: Salus 11/09/18, NECO 12/03/18, Indiana 01/25/19, ICO 11/27/18
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Salus 11/13/18, NECO 12/05/18, ICO 11/30/18

Last edited:
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28), SCCO application placed on hold (10/03), ICO (10/11)
Interviews accepted:
Western (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15), Midwestern (AZ) (10/26)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Western (10/15), Midwestern (IL) (10/16)

Still waiting to see how my interviews with Midwestern AZ and ICO go! Good luck to everyone!

Heard back from Western and WMU IL super quick! Hope everyone's application cycle is going well! Good luck to you guys!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/16/18
Date verified: 7/24/18
OAT Scores: 360 AA/ 360 TS
Major: Biology, Music
GPA: 3.86
Extracurricular Activities: speciality shadowing, sorority, tour guide, Hillel, conduct board, vision clinics, opera ensemble
Schools applied: SCO, UHCO, UIWRSO, IUSO, OSU, ICO
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO (7/31), SCO (7/31), OSU (8/1), IUSO (8/1), UHCO (8/7), ICO (8/28)
Interviews accepted: SCO (9/7), UHCO (9/17), ICO (10/9)
Interviews declined: IUSO, UIWRSO, OSU
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO (9/12), UHCO (9/19)

Hello! I was wondering if you heard back from ICO yet? If you could please message me, if you get the chance!

Hi! For those of you who applied to UHCO, how long it takes for them to contact you? Also what is the difference between interview extend/date and interview acceptance? Thanks!

Hi! For those of you who applied to UHCO, how long it takes for them to contact you? Also what is the difference between interview extend/date and interview acceptance? Thanks!
Interview extended just means the date the school offered an interview and interview acceptance is if you decided to actually schedule the interview and what date you scheduled it for.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/30/18
Date verified: 10/08/18
OAT Scores: 330 AA / 350 TS
GPA: 3.43
Extracurricular Activities: TA, pre-health organization, 2+ years experience in optical/as a technician, 100+ hrs shadowing
Schools applied: Salus, Midwestern, NSUO,ICO, NECO
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted: Salus 10/12, NECO 11/2
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus 10/16

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/20
Date verified: 7/26
OAT Scores: 370 AA / 400 TS
Major: Psychology
GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular Activities: Shadowing, RA, VP at pre-health club, Relay for Life team captain
Schools applied: NECO, SUNY, ICO, NOVA, UHCO, OSU, UCB
Interviews extended/date: NECO(7/31), ICO(8/17), NOVA(8/6), SUNY(8/6), UHCO(8/24)
Interviews accepted: NECO, NOVA, ICO, SUNY, UHCO
Interviews declined: OSU
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NECO (8/21) NOVA (8/30) UHCO (9/19) ICO (9/20) SUNY (9/21)

@OptommyBoy I believe we met during our NECO interview :) I'm so glad you were accepted as well, tried to send you a private message but I think your profile settings doesn't allow for it - hope we can be future classmates next year!

Best of luck to everyone applying this cycle :xf:
Hi, congratulation on your acceptances! I sent you a private message. If you get the chance maybe you can answer it for me. Thank you!

Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO (9/27), NOVA (10/11)
Hi, congratulation on your acceptances! I sent you a private message. If you get the chance i'd appreciate if you'd answer it. Thank you!

Yeah I heard back pretty quickly which was awesome! Honestly I overprepared for the interview which I think was a good thing. Just be yourself! It was a relaxed atmosphere and everyone you meet is incredibly nice! The interviewers genuinely just want to get to know you!! Good luck!!!!

Wow thats great! I was wondering...did you hear back by email the day of? They told me I would hear back in 1-2 weeks :/

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/12/18
Date verified: 10/15/18
OAT Scores: 310 TS & AA
Major: Biology, Chem minor
GPA: 3.25
Extracurricular Activities: Executive board member of Pre-Health Society, sorority Alumnae Relations Chair, Peer Mentor Lead (developer of freshmen transition program), Undergraduate Research Lab for 2 yrs (produced a publication for academia as result), >20 hrs of shadowing ODs in different settings, optometric tech at OD setting for past year (>1,000 work hours)
Schools applied: UHCO, SCO, UAB, and NOVA (but decided not to submit supplemental for NOVA)
Interviews extended/date: SCO (10/15), UAB (10/17), UHCO (11/08)
Interviews accepted: UAB (11/16), SCO (12/10), UHCO (01/07)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/12/18
Date verified: 10/15/18
OAT Scores: 310 TS & AA
Major: Biology, Chem minor
GPA: 3.25
Extracurricular Activities: Executive board member of Pre-Health Society, sorority Alumnae Relations Chair, Peer Mentor Lead (developer of freshmen transition program), Undergraduate Research Lab for 2 yrs (produced a publication for academia as result), >20 hrs of shadowing ODs in different settings, optometric tech at OD setting for past year (>1,000 work hours)
Schools applied: UHCO, SCO, UAB, and NOVA (but decided not to submit supplemental for NOVA)
Interviews extended/date: SCO (10/15), UAB (10/17)
Interviews accepted: SCO (12/10)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Did SCO as you anything about your OAT Scores?

Did SCO as you anything about your OAT Scores?

I notified one of their admission counselors of it the day I took my OAT and emailed my unofficial score reports to them and just received an invite right after I emailed them. Thwy didn’t say anything about it haha

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/13/18
Date verified: 9/22/18
OAT Scores: 330 both AA/TS
Major: Public Health Science
GPA: 2.88 both
Extracurricular Activities: Mulitple leadership positions of community service organization, work at a private optometry office for over a year (1000+ hours), internship at university eye institute (over 100 hours)
Schools applied: WESTERN, SCCO, MIDWESTERN CCO, MIDWESTERN AZ
Interviews extended/date: Western (9/28), Midwestern CCO (9/25), Midwestern AZ (9/25), SCCO (10/16)
Interviews accepted: Western (10/12) , Midwestern CCO (10/15) , SCCO (12/1)
Interviews declined: Midwestern AZ
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Western (10/15), CCO (10/16) YAY!

Posting for those who are worried about their low gpa! There is so much more on your application that shows who you are. SO GO AHEAD AND APPLY ANYWAYS.
Good luck to everyone who is applying this cycle ! :)

Congrats on you Acceptance! any tips of applying for western?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/28/18
Date verified: 8/30/18
OAT Scores: 310 AA / 280 TS
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.89
Extracurricular Activities: Almost a year experience working at sports vision & vision therapy center, as well as an eye care center.
Schools applied: SUNY, ICO, NECO, SALUS, NOVA, UIWRSO
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO (9/5), NECO (9/5), SALUS (9/6), NOVA (9/20), ICO (9/24), SUNY (9/24)
Interviews accepted: UIWRSO (9/14), NECO (9/28), SALUS (10/1)
Interviews declined: NOVA, SUNY, ICO
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: UIWRSO (9/18), NECO (10/2), SALUS (10/2)

I know I'm not the conventional applicant (low OAT, high GPA) but I was offered interviews at every school I applied to. My top schools were SUNY, ICO & NECO - and once I interviewed at NECO, I knew it was the school for me.

NECO Class of 2023!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/13/18
Date verified: 9/22/18
OAT Scores: 330 both AA/TS
Major: Public Health Science
GPA: 2.88 both
Extracurricular Activities: Mulitple leadership positions of community service organization, work at a private optometry office for over a year (1000+ hours), internship at university eye institute (over 100 hours)
Schools applied: WESTERN, SCCO, MIDWESTERN CCO, MIDWESTERN AZ
Interviews extended/date: Western (9/28), Midwestern CCO (9/25), Midwestern AZ (9/25), SCCO (10/16)
Interviews accepted: Western (10/12) , Midwestern CCO (10/15) , SCCO (12/1)
Interviews declined: Midwestern AZ
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Western (10/15), CCO (10/16) YAY!

Posting for those who are worried about their low gpa! There is so much more on your application that shows who you are. SO GO AHEAD AND APPLY ANYWAYS.
Good luck to everyone who is applying this cycle ! :)
Hey! Congrats on your acceptances! I’m in the same boat as you, and I was wondering if you had any advice on schools that look into the OAT more than the GPA.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/21/18
Date verified: 9/26/18
OAT Scores: 370 AA/370 TS
Major: Biology/Psychology minor
GPA: 3.92
Extracurricular Activities: Alpha Kappa Sigma service sorority, CSBeats a cappella, women's choir, biology club, intro biology lab TA, work as a library assistant, and 8-week optometry internship + shadowing
Schools applied: IUSO, PUCO, SCCO, PCO, NECO
Interviews extended/date: IUSO (9/25), PCO (9/27), NECO (9/27), SCCO (10/3), *PUCO(10/8)
Interviews accepted: NECO (10/12), IUSO (10/19), PUCO (10/26) SCCO (11/2), PCO (11/13)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NECO (10/16), IUSO (10/22)

*PUCO: for those who are wondering why PUCO took so long, technically my optometrist LOR was not complete until 10/5 and I received an email that they would begin processing my application 10/8.
Hi optometry friends! So I am trying to decide between NECO, IUSO, and PUCO. The other schools I applied to are great, but I think my final decision will come down to those schools. Please let me know what you think is great about any of the schools I listed. Thanks in advance!!

Hi optometry friends! So I am trying to decide between NECO, IUSO, and PUCO. The other schools I applied to are great, but I think my final decision will come down to those schools. Please let me know what you think is great about any of the schools I listed. Thanks in advance!!

From personal experience and having family attend NECO I really think the school excels in the clinical aspect way more than the other two schools you have interviews at however I've heard IUSO is a really good school too! As for PUCO I would consider it as a backup choice if the other two don't work out, I know PUCO is much smaller and not as established in the clinical aspect as I have had a couple friends attend that school and they regretted not choosing NECO or bigger named school