class of 2023!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/21/18
Date verified: 10/22/18
OAT Scores: 320TS/310AA
Major: biology
GPA: 2.8 (had my ups and downs lol)
Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry, BSU, Caribbean student association, over 1000 hours of optometry experience,
Schools applied: NSU, Salus
Interviews extended/date:
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Just wondering, is it normal for it to be verified overnight?

Members don't see this ad.

Extracurricular Activities: pre-optometry, BSU, Caribbean student association, over 1000 hours of optometry experience,
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Just wondering, is it normal for it to be verified overnight?
Mine was verified the next night!

Anybody interviewed at Midwestern CCO?
I have! I got accepted into Midwestern CCO, the interview was extremely laid back and very personal. I didn't feel like it was even an interview. They make you feel extremely welcomed there!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
question to people who already got accepted to schools (like NECO, PCO, ICO, SUNY), did any of you have any course grades that were a C+ or worse? an optometrist who i shadowed with basically told me i have no chance at opto cause i have one C+ in my whole transcript (only one!! in first year chemistry), and i explained how the rest of my transcript is really good and he said that even with only one C+ i won't be accepted, i don't think that's true but now i feel like i'm unnecessarily worried :/
my gpa is about a 3.6

Hi @eyesoul26 I have received interviews from NECO, ICO and SUNY and think I have a pretty good chance of getting into all of them. That being said I got 4 C’s in undergrad with a final gpa of 3.4. Everyone’s file is different and it might depend on what school you went to and it’s rigor as well as major and course load. But hopefully that eases your mind! I think anyone has a chance because there are so many factors to weigh! I’ll keep you updated on acceptances but you got this! Just present the best version of you, no turning back now

question to people who already got accepted to schools (like NECO, PCO, ICO, SUNY), did any of you have any course grades that were a C+ or worse? an optometrist who i shadowed with basically told me i have no chance at opto cause i have one C+ in my whole transcript (only one!! in first year chemistry), and i explained how the rest of my transcript is really good and he said that even with only one C+ i won't be accepted, i don't think that's true but now i feel like i'm unnecessarily worried :/
my gpa is about a 3.6
That’s not true, there’s plenty of people getting interviews with transcripts that are not all A’s and B’s. I read a post not too long ago of someone with mostly C’s in science classes getting interviews. So don’t let other people’s opinion make you lose hope.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone gone to a KYCO (pikeville) interview? If so, what was it like? How do you get notified of your acceptance? I've been hearing a lot of different stories

my gpa is about a 3.6
I'm interviewing with ICO on Thursday and I have a handful of C's including prereq courses and I even had a D- on my transcript that has already been retaken but I'm sure it will just brought up during the interview and they want to know how you will respond to their concerns about these grade discrepancies. I definitely wouldn't listen to the OD that you shadowed, over the 3 and half years of working in optometry, I've met so many different optometrists that gave me mixed feedback on how to apply to OD school, most of them told me they had no doubts that I would get in considering my experience and background, then the other small percentage of them told me it was all about grades and OAT scores. Everyone has their own opinions on it, so definitely do not take one person's opinion over how you value yourself.

Hey everyone! I’ve been accepted to both Salus and Indiana. I am having a really hard time of picking one because I loved them both for different reasons. I was wondering if any of you can give info on why you chose Salus or IUSO? I would really appreciate it!
Hey I was wondering if you had any scores under 300 on the OAT and also why did they take so long to get back to you?

I know I'm not the conventional applicant (low OAT, high GPA) but I was offered interviews at every school I applied to. My top schools were SUNY, ICO & NECO - and once I interviewed at NECO, I knew it was the school for me.

hi @platinumOD i'm trying to PM you!

Hi guys, for anyone who has applied to UHCO, how long does it usually take for them to contact you? I'm applying from out of state and heard they prefer in-state applicants, is this true? I also have a low GPA, but pretty good OAT will I have a chance?

Hello again!

Supplemental Application: NSU
Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/24)
Interviews accepted: Salus (11/12)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/26/2018
Date verified: 10/12/18
OAT Scores: 350 AA 360 TS
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.70 / 3.83 sciences
Extracurricular Activities: worked as tech and scribe full time for 2.5 years at 4 different practices
Schools applied: SCO UAB
Interviews extended/date: 10/13/18
Interviews accepted:10/15/15
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO 10/24/18
Most likey going to SCO. interview at UAB in November probably will cancel.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, for anyone who has applied to UHCO, how long does it usually take for them to contact you? I'm applying from out of state and heard they prefer in-state applicants, is this true? I also have a low GPA, but pretty good OAT will I have a chance?
I looked at their class overview for 2022 and not going to lie, majority of ther students are all from Texas with like like 2 from Louisiana, which is crazy. I'm from Louisiana too and hoping to get in next year. I haven't taken the OAT yet, but my gpa is kinda low too.

I'm from out-of-state too and although they do prefer in-state applicants, don't let that discourage you because out of the 12 interviewees during my interview day, five of us were from out-of-state! They took roughly three weeks to get back to me after my application was verified.

Hello again!

Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

If I accept the interview, follow suit and do well with the interview by getting accepted eventually, do I have a deadline to confirm my seat? Salus is my back-up and I'm still waiting to hear from NSU for secondaries.
Hi again! Salus gives you a 14 day deadline to submit a deposit. The deposit is non-refundable.

Hi again! Salus gives you a 14 day deadline to submit a deposit. The deposit is non-refundable.
Dang. Would it be bad if I tell them that they're my back-up and explain whatever they need to know? NSU takes another 4-6 weeks after submitting supplemental to consider an interview.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/2/8
Date verified: 9/10/18
OAT Scores:
360 AA/ 340TS
Major: Public Health
GPA:
Extracurricular Activities: shadowing, work as optometry technician for ~7 months (15hrs a week), vision screenings outreach, service fraternity
Schools applied: SCCO, ICO, MCPHS, UCB, Western
Interviews extended/date: SCCO (9/15), MCPHS (9/17), Western (9/20)
Interviews accepted: SCCO (10/6), Western (11/16)
Interviews declined: MCPHS, ICO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCCO (10/8)

Hi, I was wondering if you’ve heard from UCB?

Dang. Would it be bad if I tell them that they're my back-up and explain whatever they need to know? NSU takes another 4-6 weeks after submitting supplemental to consider an interview.
Um... you can maybe tell them you need more time but I wouldn’t tell them they are your back up.

Reactions: 2 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/19/18
Date verified: 9/24/18
OAT Scores: 310 AA / 310 TS
Major: Biology with a concentration in Pre-Optometry
GPA: 3.11
Extracurricular Activities: 7+ years as a certified ophthalmic technician and scribe at an integrated ophthalmology practice, shadowed multiple optometry practices, shadowed different surgeries, part of my undergrad's pre-optometry club, pre-optometry member of AOSA, volunteer at the salvation army, a volunteer with the Carmelite sisters
Schools applied: MCO, CCO, ICO, PCO
Interviews extended/date: CCO (9/27), PCO (9/28), ICO (10/15)
Interviews accepted: CCO (10/8), PCO (10/26)
Interviews declined: ICO
Rejections/date: MCO (3/9) all seats taken
Acceptance/date: CCO (10/9), PCO (10/31)

I am committing to CCO class of 2023!!

Last edited:
Hello again!

Supplemental Application: NSU
Interviews accepted: Salus (11/12)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
have you heard back from NSU?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/28/18
Date verified: 8/30/18
OAT Scores: 310 AA / 280 TS
Major: Biological Sciences
GPA: 3.89
Extracurricular Activities: Almost a year experience working at sports vision & vision therapy center, as well as an eye care center.
Schools applied: SUNY, ICO, NECO, SALUS, NOVA, UIWRSO
Interviews extended/date: UIWRSO (9/5), NECO (9/5), SALUS (9/6), NOVA (9/20), ICO (9/24), SUNY (9/24)
Interviews accepted: UIWRSO (9/14), NECO (9/28), SALUS (10/1)
Interviews declined: NOVA, SUNY, ICO
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: UIWRSO (9/18), NECO (10/2), SALUS (10/2)

I know I'm not the conventional applicant (low OAT, high GPA) but I was offered interviews at every school I applied to. My top schools were SUNY, ICO & NECO - and once I interviewed at NECO, I knew it was the school for me.

NECO Class of 2023!!!
Hi! I was just wondering if you could give your reasons why you chose NECO? I also loved the school when I interviewed, but it is always nice to hear why others liked it as well. (You can either reply in the thread or message me) Thanks!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/17/2018
Date verified: 09/24/2018
OAT Scores: 330 AA/320 TS
Major: Nutrition Sciences
GPA: 3.65 overall
Extracurricular Activities: teacher assistant, Alpha Epsilon Delta volunteer coordinator/member, ophthalmic technician, pharmacy technician, mentor for after school program, variety of clubs in undergrad, intern at Urban Ministries, hospital volunteer, lab work experience, Pre-health club
Schools applied: SCO (9/17), NOVA (9/17), ICO (9/17), PCO (10/2)
Interviews extended/date: SCO (9/25), NOVA (10/03), PCO (10/8), ICO (10/19)
Interviews accepted: SCO (11/2), NOVA (10/19), ICO (11/12)
Interviews declined: PCO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
NOVA (10/24) SCO (11/7) ICO (11/19)

GOING TO SCO!!!

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/31
Date verified: 8/5
OAT Scores: RC 380 QR 360 BIO 300
CHEM 260 OCHEM 260 Physics 290 AA 310

GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular Activities: National Honor System, TriBeta Academic Society, 100+ shadow hours, 250+ hours working as a tech, Health professions club
Schools applied: PCO, NOVA, KYCO, MCPHS, NECO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: KYCO 8/31, PCO 9/11, MCPHS extended 11/2 (declined)
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PCO 10/31
(Was put on hold 9/15 and told I would be accepted with good grades on my midterm grade report, worked super hard and had a 3.8 at midterms)

Always wanted to go Salus so I was pretty happy with my acceptance. And will definetely be attending next year!!!!

Can
Extracurricular Activities: National Honor System, TriBeta Academic Society, 100+ shadow hours, 250+ hours working as a tech, Health professions club
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
(Was put on hold 9/15 and told I would be accepted with good grades on my midterm grade report, worked super hard and had a 3.8 at midterms)

Always wanted to go Salus so I was pretty happy with my acceptance. And will definetely be attending next year!!!!
SO happy for you!! Can you elaborate on how the interview was for Salus please?

Has anyone gone to a KYCO (pikeville) interview? If so, what was it like? How do you get notified of your acceptance? I've been hearing a lot of different stories
I also have an interview at KYCO coming up. Have you found anything out? Does anyone know if its open or closed file?

Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:

Did you attend the interview at KYCO? Can you give me any tips? Did they bring up OAT or GPA? open or closed file? Anything else that would be helpful to know?

Did you attend the interview at KYCO? Can you give me any tips? Did they bring up OAT or GPA? open or closed file? Anything else that would be helpful to know?

I did attend, the interview was with three professors. They asked me to retake the OAT because of my low orgo/chem even after i explained my situation to them. My orgo professor became ill and we had a hs teacher as our subsitute. I really felt like retaking it would be pointless as i learned very little in orgo. It is open file they talked about my oat more than grades. Theyre also interested in community service, which i didnt have a ton of. The school itself seemed really nice, with top notch equipment. However, the town itself had almost nothing to offer and i definetely would not have been able to stay there for four years.

Can

SO happy for you!! Can you elaborate on how the interview was for Salus please?

The interview was extremely laid back. It was actually my second time interviewing there so i knew some staff there, everyone is super nice. Last year i was rejected as a 3+4 applicant. My interviewer said my grades were good and the committee would probably not ask for an OAT retake. There is one prompt question but it is not hard at all. She was very interested in my shadow/work experience. It seemed like they were looking for people who would make good doctors in the future not just someone who can get an A in every class. Overall i just felt very comfortable there.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/2/2018
Date verified: 11/5/2018
OAT Scores: 320 AA 300 TS
Major: Psychology, Minor in Chemistry
GPA: 3.2
Extracurricular Activities: fraternity, shadowing, work, club, leadership positions
Schools applied: PCO, SCO, NECO, MCPHS, NOVA, OSU, KCO, NSU
Interviews extended/date: SCO (11/6)
PCO (11/6) MCPHS (11/7) KYCO (11/7) NECO(11/8)
Interviews accepted: PCO (11/15) MCPHS (11/17) NECO(11/16)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

I'm in the process of graduating, so my schedule is really hectic. I'm trying to see when I can schedule interviews while also deciding which schools I want to follow up with. I'll update as I get more info back from schools, I've only just started getting emails about supplementary applications. Please send me any interview advice since I have 3 back to back interviews coming next week

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/2/2018
Date verified: 11/5/2018
OAT Scores: 320 AA 300 TS
Major: Psychology, Minor in Chemistry
GPA: 3.2
Extracurricular Activities: fraternity, shadowing, work, club, leadership positions
Schools applied: PCO, SCO, NECO, MCPHS, NOVA, OSU, KCO, NSU
Interviews extended/date: SCO (11/6)
PCO (11/6) MCPHS (11/7) KYCO (11/7)
Interviews accepted:
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

I'm in the process of graduating, so my schedule is really hectic. I'm trying to see when I can schedule interviews while also deciding which schools I want to follow up with. I'll update as I get more info back from schools, I've only just started getting emails about supplementary applications.
Wow! you were invited to interviews pretty quick after your app got verified! how many hours total did you have for shadowing?

Wow! you were invited to interviews pretty quick after your app got verified! how many hours total did you have for shadowing?

I'll be honest, I only have around 200 hours. My friends have clocked at minimum a thousand hours compared to me. I'm surprised as well at how fast I'm getting replies from some of these schools. Hopefully this is a good sign because I'm honestly nervous.

I'll be honest, I only have around 200 hours. My friends have clocked at minimum a thousand hours compared to me. I'm surprised as well at how fast I'm getting replies from some of these schools. Hopefully this is a good sign because I'm honestly nervous.
I havent started shadowing at all lol. And I have no idea how many hours I should have.

I havent started shadowing at all lol. And I have no idea how many hours I should have.

my friend got into berkeley with 25-30 hours of shadowing, so i would aim for at least 20 hours, schools just want to know that you have experience in the environment and you're making the correct decision of going into optometry

Congrats! How was your interview at PCO?!
The interview was laid back and we held a good conversation. They ask the typical questions why optometry, why salus, what are the challenges for optometry. They go over your information and grades with you. And they read a scenario to you for you to answer. There's no right or wrong answer. It's just too see how you think.

my friend got into berkeley with 25-30 hours of shadowing, so i would aim for at least 20 hours, schools just want to know that you have experience in the environment and you're making the correct decision of going into optometry
30 hours total?
I was thinking of doing atleast 10-15 at each different practice, such as private, Lenscrafter, one located inside Walmart/Costco/SamsClub, and opthamologist. Do u think that is good enough?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/23/18
Date verified: 09/27/18
OAT Scores: 310 AA / TS
Major: B.Sc in Optometry (Israel)
GPA: 3.96
Extracurricular Activities: 700+ hours working as an optician/salesman in a private practice in Israel. 1000+ hours working as an optometrist in Israel. 3 days of shadowing in the States.
Schools applied: NOVA, UHCO, NECO, PCO, SCO, PUCO
Interviews accepted: NOVA 11/02, NECO 11/08, Salus 12/18
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: NOVA 11/08

Last edited:
30 hours total?
I was thinking of doing atleast 10-15 at each different practice, such as private, Lenscrafter, one located inside Walmart/Costco/SamsClub, and opthamologist. Do u think that is good enough?
Yes my friend just did 30 in total. Your plan sounds very good, I think it would look impressive that you shadowed at different types of practices. Good luck!

Yes my friend just did 30 in total. Your plan sounds very good, I think it would look impressive that you shadowed at different types of practices. Good luck!
Thank you! :) I won't be apply until next cycle!

From my interview at Western, they seem to really care about leadership and volunteering!

Hi! I have an interview for Western on Friday! Do you remember the questions they asked? how did you prep for the interview and was it laid back? :) thanks for the help!!!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/22/18
Date verified: 09/23/18
OAT Scores: 300AA/ 300TS
Major: Kinesiology
GPA: 3.14 (overall) / 3.08 (science)
Extracurricular Activities: 3+ years of experience as a lead optometric technician, shadowed in ophthalmology, vision therapy, 2 years of being in a pre-health association, undergraduate teaching assistant for biology
Schools applied: SCCO, ICO, Western, Midwestern (AZ), Midwestern (IL)
Interviews extended/date: Midwestern (AZ) (09/24), Midwestern (IL) (09/25), Western (09/28), SCCO application placed on hold (10/03), ICO (10/11)
Interviews accepted:
Western (10/12), Midwestern (IL) (10/15), ICO (10/26) Midwestern (AZ) (11/02)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Western (10/15), Midwestern (IL) (10/16), Midwestern (AZ) (11/14)

On hold with SCCO/ ICO (11/01) for fall grades and OAT retake.

11:01: Following my ICO interview I called the Monday after the interview and was told my application was hold and that the admissions committee would like to see my fall grades and requested for OAT retake.

11/14: Had a phone convo with Eryn at SCCO about my application, she said that my application has been through several reviews and that everything with my optometric experience in my application was more than competitive and that the OAT was the only thing that holds me back from an interview extension.

Just a second ago, I got a call from MWU AZCOPT with my acceptance offer!

So as of right now I am 3/5 with the other two schools putting me on hold. I'm still contemplating whether or not I should even retake the OAT considering the offers I got already.. :confused: Good luck to everyone still applying this cycle! :D

Reactions: 2 users
11:01: Following my ICO interview I called the Monday after the interview and was told my application was hold and that the admissions committee would like to see my fall grades and requested for OAT retake.

11/14: Had a phone convo with Eryn at SCCO about my application, she said that my application has been through several reviews and that everything with my optometric experience in my application was more than competitive and that the OAT was the only thing that holds me back from an interview extension.

So as of right now I am 3/5 with the other two schools putting me on hold. I'm still contemplating whether or not I should even retake the OAT considering the offers I got already.. :confused: Good luck to everyone still applying this cycle! :D

Congrats on your acceptaces so far!!
I'm surprised ICO actually asked you to retake the OAT considering their stats they usually accept people with a OAT score around 300 too! Their OAT mean was 314 for the 2022 class too.

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/12/18
Date verified: 11/15/18
OAT Scores: 370 AA/ 380 TS
Major: Biomedical Sciences
GPA: 3.7
Extracurricular Activities: 50+ hours shadowing, 200+ hours Optometric experience, beauty pageant, study abroad, research, church organizations, multiple leadership roles at my university and church, camp counselor, salsa society, POPS, Globull Ambassadors and Global Citizens Project, Honors college
Schools applied: PCO, NOVA, UMSL
Interviews extended/date: PCO (11/16), UMSL (11/21), NOVA (11/28)
Interviews accepted: PCO (12/7), NOVA (12/13)
Interviews declined: UMSL (12/17)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
PCO (12/11), NOVA (12/13)

*NOVA accepted me the same day I interviewed and are paying half of my tuition! Going to NOVA :D

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/09/18
Date verified: 10/12/18
OAT Scores: 340 AA / 330 TS
GPA: 3.65
Extracurricular Activities: Golden Key club, Optometric Assistant, 50 hrs shadowing
Schools applied: NECO, Salus, ICO, Indiana
Interviews extended/date: Salus 10/15/18, NECO 10/18/18, Indiana 10/17/18
Interviews accepted: Salus 11/09/18, NECO 12/03/18, Indiana 01/25/19, ICO 11/27/18
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Hey was just wondering if you heard anything from Salus?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/29/18
Date verified: 9/5/18
OAT Scores: 300TS/310AA
Major: Neuroscience
Extracurricular Activities: President of dance company, over 1000 hours of optometry experience as a paid technician in private practice, ICO summer program, OSU summer program, volunteer with STEM middle school mentoring
Schools applied: UHCO, SUNY, ICO, NECO, OSU
Supplemental Application: all
Interviews extended/date: NECO (9/7), SUNY (9/12), OSU (9/26), ICO (10/11)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (10/18), NECO (11/2), OSU (11/30)
Interviews declined: ICO
Rejections/date: n/a
Acceptance/date: SUNY (10/24), NECO (11/8)

One more interview and then I will make my decision! Will update this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on all your offers! Out of those 3 so far is there a particular school you're leaning more towards?