College has been the worst two years of my life so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do go to an ivy, that's all I want to say though. I was stupid to put my name as my user ID.
But I've struggled for 2 years, not normal.

In detail, what would you say is causing you to struggle? Do you not know how to study properly? Even in general education courses, what have you found difficult? Are there people you can study with?

Members don't see this ad.

Well even if you're not, it's normal to struggle in college, even myself, everyday I'm wondering "what am I doing with my life", it's normal to question yourself, actions, and goals. The pre-med process or even pre-health process is not easy otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Are you taking an off from school? regarding the non-student status
No. It means I'm a doc who has been undercover. jk Life problems, brah. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you mad? We get trolls all the time and how you started your story it was strange to see and compare that to the bathroom thing. BTW I never try to be a dick on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's with all these premeds at "ivy-level" undergrads complaining about their competition?

Reactions: 3 users
WTF?! o_O You sounds like a complete D-bag… :thumbdown:
It may sound harsh but some people need a rude awakening to realize the real reason why they are no longer above average in college.

What's with all these premeds at "ivy-level" undergrads complaining about their competition?

They are realizing that they are not special anymore. Many of us face this fact in med school (myself included). Better to realize that now than later.

Hold on,...but what did mizzu's cat do this time?

Hold on,...but what did mizzu's cat do this time?
Nothing. Lol

My cat never did anything - all it did was sleep in my bathroom on top of my heating vent. I don't know why people blow it out of proportions.

Nothing. Lol

My cat never did anything - all it did was sleep in my bathroom on top of my heating vent. I don't know why people blow it out of proportions.
You belittled OP by comparing his experience of child abuse to your cats sleeping habits. How do you not understand that?

At this point, I am unsure how many trolls are in this thread. Three? Four?

Anyway, OP, sounds like you never adjusted from high school, which is very common. Buckle down now and do better. Study as hard as you can and leave the past behind. Self doubt is your enemy.

Reactions: 5 users
Why are you mad? We get trolls all the time and how you started your story it was strange to see and compare that to the bathroom thing. BTW I never try to be a dick on here.
Kind of stupid thing for me to write. Sorry, I just thought about a tough time.

You belittled OP by comparing his experience of child abuse to your cats sleeping habits. How do you not understand that?

Anyway, OP, sounds like you never adjusted from high school, which is very common. Buckle down now and do better. Study as hard as you can and leave the past behind. Self doubt is your enemy.
I doubt myself more than I study.

I doubt myself more than I study.

Which is why a visit to your school's therapy grad program would be beneficial to you. Stretching yourself thin thinking you're not good enough instead of directing your entire being into attacking the material has obvious negative effects on your gpa.

Reactions: 2 users

My initial guess that she sleeps in the bathroom was for heat (same reason my cat sleeps there because we can't afford to heat up the house). Then maybe space if they do not have space. It's a legit question to ask if her experience was due to lack of space or heat.

If you want to read into it - then so be it, but that is all I meant.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not trying to crush your dreams and certainly with grade replacement, DO school is still a possibility. But...if this was the worst two years of your life, why are you wanting to sign yourself up for so many more years at a faster pace with more difficult material? Is there anything else you are interested in? You could be done with school in two more years. Why put yourself through so much school if you really, genuinely hate it? At any rate, I hope you find peace and serenity soon. Life's too short to spend it all beating yourself up.

Reactions: 1 users
My initial guess that she sleeps in the bathroom was for heat (same reason my cat sleeps there because we can't afford to heat up the house). Then maybe space if they do not have space. It's a legit question to ask if her experience was due to lack of space or heat.

If you want to read into it - then so be it, but that is all I meant.

when sleeping in the bathroom directly follows "abuse I faced as a kid"... it's really not.

OP, is academics solely your problem? Do you have a good support system at school? That could help you more than you think!

Stop thinking so poorly of yourself. You got into an ivy so clearly you're not stupid. If you don't study, no, you won't do well. But that further proves your point. Break the cycle! Seeking help might help you get there.

OP, is academics solely your problem? Do you have a good support system at school? That could help you more than you think!

Stop thinking so poorly of yourself. You got into an ivy so clearly you're not stupid. If you don't study, no, you won't do well. But that further proves your point. Break the cycle! Seeking help might help you get there.
Pretty much, but I do miss my family + friends from home.

I'm not trying to crush your dreams and certainly with grade replacement, DO school is still a possibility. But...if this was the worst two years of your life, why are you wanting to sign yourself up for so many more years at a faster pace with more difficult material? Is there anything else you are interested in? You could be done with school in two more years. Why put yourself through so much school if you really, genuinely hate it? At any rate, I hope you find peace and serenity soon. Life's too short to spend it all beating yourself up.
If I was doing my best and doing bad, I'd be okay and probably wouldn't pursue medicine. But I haven't given it my all.

Then give it your all.
/Thread

when sleeping in the bathroom directly follows "abuse I faced as a kid"... it's really not.
Not having heat or space for sleep is considered abuse too... Negligence is abuse as well

Get help - your school should have a free or reduced-cost counseling center.

I think no progress will be made until you are finished throwing yourself a pity party. People will be waiting to help you in WAMC once you're really ready to start addressing your weaknesses.

Reactions: 2 users
I think no progress will be made until you are finished throwing yourself a pity party. People will be waiting to help you in WAMC once you're really ready to start addressing your weaknesses.
GPA

I just can't get over how badly I've done and when people tell me I have no chance, it sucks

I just can't get over how badly I've done and when people tell me I have no chance, it sucks

2.4 GPA, horrendous MCATs. Re-evaluated, got my act together, went back to school, worked very hard, and I'm ~4 weeks away from being done with MS3. It's not too late. But shut up and get to work instead of whining on here.

Reactions: 4 users

49782067.jpg

The idea is that they are competing with former valedictorians and academic superstars which doesn't compare with the more variable competition in their state school.

I should know, as an Ivy League student this is the mentality I'm surrounded with, and this was the mentality I used to have lol

I'm curious if you go to my school. but first of all no one is saying that you have no chance except yourself and maybe your dumb premed counselor. low gpa? join the club.

Right now you're not looking for answers. You want people to tell you it's ok and that you'll be fine and they'll show empathy for the "woe is me" attitude. When in reality that just going to cause a positive feedback loop where you continue to not adjust your studies -> low GPA -> go on SDN -> not adjust your studies -> etc. You know how to fix the problem because everyone has been telling you the solution but clearly you don't actually want to do it. You're just running from the problem.

so are you going to do something how your time in college has been **** or are you just going to keep making excuses.

SDN has the advantage that people are honest, and I think you've gotten some candid, if at times harsh, feedback.
Don't give up on your dream, and don't believe whoever said that you had to accept that you were the dumbest amongst your peers, that's bull.
Keep your head up and study.. Or down.. Whatever :)

I'm curious if you go to my school. but first of all no one is saying that you have no chance except yourself and maybe your dumb premed counselor. low gpa? join the club.

Right now you're not looking for answers. You want people to tell you it's ok and that you'll be fine and they'll show empathy for the "woe is me" attitude. When in reality that just going to cause a positive feedback loop where you continue to not adjust your studies -> low GPA -> go on SDN -> not adjust your studies -> etc. You know how to fix the problem because everyone has been telling you the solution but clearly you don't actually want to do it. You're just running from the problem.

so are you going to do something how your time in college has been **** or are you just going to keep making excuses.

Not that I'll be fine but that it's worth it to continue to try so hard, have no life, have constant anxiety from all the stuff I need to do

Not that I'll be fine but that it's worth it to continue to try so hard, have no life, have constant anxiety from all the stuff I need to do
If it's too stressful and you don't want a life with anxiety (as the next 2 years of college, 4 years of med school, 3-7 years if residency, plus nonstop paperwork) - maybe you should reconsider medicine?

There are other things to do that are as high stress/risks.

If it's too stressful and you don't want a life with anxiety (as the next 2 years of college, 4 years of med school, 3-7 years if residency, plus nonstop paperwork) - maybe you should reconsider medicine?

There are other things to do that are as high stress/risks.
Anxiety is worth it, but I have gained nothing but a bad GPA. Should have played it smart from the beginning, went to easy school or majored in something else here.