comlex 3 x 4 done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOindahouse

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th time is over, i guess ill meet my fate in 6 weeks,..... again

Members don't see this ad.

Failed COMLEX 3 for the second time. Just got results back last week. Did you use any new resources this time, like Premier. Just heard about USMLEWorld and Premier. Any comments? Oh, hope your test went well.

I didn't think Thursday's exam was that bad at all. I was surprised!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi:

I took the exam on Thursday, also (Jan 23rd).

I failed the first time I took it, but that could have been blamed on poor preparation, i.e., didn't spend enough time on review book and Savarese.

I thought I did much better on the second attempt, but I still have many doubts about the questions and I'm awaiting my scores.

There were questions about everything ranging from management of a dilated cervix in a woman that was 28 weeks pregnant; how to prevent transmitting diseases in the ICU (this could've been two choices); infections of the throat, STDs, a few EKGs and it's a good thing I know the ACLS protocol; poisoning; lots of OMM--even a couple cranial questions.

I really hope I passed. I spent almost the full 8 hours on this test because I wanted to re-read the questions.

Wow..I only had 2 crainal questions...What bone in an ear infection needs treated and then one question where you just had to know to do crainal. Didn't have the ICU question.

Several questions had multiple answers in my opinion!! I know one of my EKGs did!

Yeah, there were a couple cranial questions, I recall. One about someone that got hit in the head, and another about a newborn during delivery.

Lots of other stuff like one question on the immunization schedule; matching questions about pulmonary injury, i.e., PTX, pericardial effusion, hemothorax; intracranial bleeds; GI perforations; GI bleeding, upper and lower; asthma and COPD; derm questions like rashes due to STDs and dermatitis; a few questions about otitis media and treatments; couple questions on different types of arthritis; heme questions like AML, coagulopathy testing for different conditions, microcytic and macrocytic anemias; questions about management of M.I., heart murmurs; management of DM, and association with other conditions like metabolic syndrome and as a CHD risk factor.

Jeez. I could go on FOREVER about the stuff that I remember. I haven't even touched on Renal, Rheum, or Endocrine.

Not to mention OMM.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions about stuff that you remember. We can compare. :thumbup:

Okay. I'm sure there were different versions, then.

You didn't get questions about DIC (I can think of 2), carpal tunnel syndrome (answers were ambiguous, i.e., could have been splinting OR NSAIDs), picture about an STD and you had to choose the organism and treatment of it, questions about drugs in CHF?

OMM questions like naming the sacral dysfunction after they described the position of the sacral sulcus and ILA, viscero-somatic reflex tenderpoint, medicolegal questions about medicare vs. medicaid, whether you should treat a difficult patient in the E.R. or transfer him, side-effects of psych drugs like certain anti-psychotics and the treatment of the effects (there was a picture of one side effect), picture about infant's femurs/tibias and you had to name the diagnosis?

Hmm. maybe I'm just getting over-anxious. It keeps re-playing over and over in my head. I can even think of 3 or 4 that I got wrong after looking it up (I didn't name those questions above).

didn't have a 1 of those topics...no sacral questions. Lots of OB with ectopic pregnancies!!!!

Carpal tunnel question and pregnancy for the OMT

No psych drug side effects!

Took COMLEX III on Jan 23rd, 2008.

The score was uploaded to the NBOME website today.

PASSED! Yessssss! ;)

what were you getting on UW? Did anyone take the NBOME practice items.

thanks

I was scoring 60-70% on the USMLE world questions in 48 question blocks.

I did not take the practice items.

Took COMLEX III today. What a long and painful 400 questions. Started at 7:45am and finished around 1:30.

Plenty of peds and ob/gyn questions. I don't remember anything too far from left field. Lots of pregnent women w/bleeds. Limping kids. Child abuse. Bleeding disorders. Rashes. No immunization q’s. UTIs.

A mixed bag of straight forward OMM questions about sympathetic levels to odd-ball ways of naming sacral dysfunctions. More than a few lower leg dermatome & spinal inervation levels questions. One cranial.

Overall I just don't know how I did. My last 50 questions were very easy. Everything before that was a mixed bag. Plenty of questions narrowed down to two reasonable answers.

Practice questions: I used COMBANK (online, ~550q), bought the $8 comlex practice questions book (200q), and came across a 100q sample test on the NBOME site. I would use all three again however the real test questions were noticeably longer.

Books: used First Aid for the USMLE-3, re-read my highlights from Boards & Wards, and got about half way through Secrets step-2.

Now I wait for 6 weeks.

Took COMLEX III today. What a long and painful 400 questions. Started at 7:45am and finished around 1:30.

Plenty of peds and ob/gyn questions. I don't remember anything too far from left field. Lots of pregnent women w/bleeds. Limping kids. Child abuse. Bleeding disorders. Rashes. No immunization q’s. UTIs.

A mixed bag of straight forward OMM questions about sympathetic levels to odd-ball ways of naming sacral dysfunctions. More than a few lower leg dermatome & spinal inervation levels questions. One cranial.

Overall I just don't know how I did. My last 50 questions were very easy. Everything before that was a mixed bag. Plenty of questions narrowed down to two reasonable answers.

Practice questions: I used COMBANK (online, ~550q), bought the $8 comlex practice questions book (200q), and came across a 100q sample test on the NBOME site. I would use all three again however the real test questions were noticeably longer.

Books: used First Aid for the USMLE-3, re-read my highlights from Boards & Wards, and got about half way through Secrets step-2.

Now I wait for 6 weeks.

Similar sentiments to above. It was a mixed bag. A typical COMLEX exam - you basically can't study for it except for the Savarese things. Hopefully I passed - beyond that is anyone's guess.

Uses USMLEworld, B&W's, 8$ COMLEX questions book, 100 free COMLEX questions, and read Savarese.

Plenty of peds and ob/gyn questions. I don't remember anything too far from left field. Lots of pregnant women w/bleeds. Limping kids. Child abuse. Bleeding disorders. Rashes. No immunization q’s. UTIs.

A mixed bag of straight forward OMM questions about sympathetic levels to odd-ball ways of naming sacral dysfunctions. More than a few lower leg dermatome & spinal innervation levels questions. One cranial.

Now I wait for 6 weeks.

Just got my score back after 5 weeks. Can't believe it...701! After that tortuous day I was just hoping to pass the thing.

Just got my score back after 5 weeks. Can't believe it...701! After that tortuous day I was just hoping to pass the thing.

Got mine back as well >700. No more COMLEX every again. Too bad I am on call to actually get to celebrate. 88 days and counting until Anesthesia starts.

I am contemplating buying combank for step III, anyone finding it useful?? Seems to be really new, are the questions taken from old exams?