commisioning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

number1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the Navy, when does one get commisioning as an ensign? during school or after graduation? thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on which scholarship you take. If you are on a 4 year scholarship you will get commissioned before school starts. If you are on a 3 year scholarship you will get commissioned sometime before your 2nd year of school starts and so on. The day you graduate you will be promoted to LT.

For someone who will be commissioned before school starts, what is the commissioning actually like? Very low key in the recruiters office or something else?

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on what you want. Most people get commissioned by their recruiter at their office. But if you have a family member that is a military officer (retired or active) they can commission you. For example, my mom is on active duty and she commissioned me in her clinic.

What, no Blue Angels flyby? This sucks!

For someone who will be commissioned before school starts, what is the commissioning actually like? Very low key in the recruiters office or something else?

I'm not Navy, but I was in the CA Guard as an e-5 before my commissioning. My Guard unit did it at drill, in formation with my Fiance and Parents doing the pinning. So it was kind of a big deal. However, I had the option of doing the civilian clothes, recruiter office thing.

It doesn't matter all that much when you're commissioned, but make sure you become an O-3 ASAP, preferably the day of med school graduation. Because I did that (and not a week later) I'm being promoted a year earlier than I otherwise would be.

It doesn't matter all that much when you're commissioned, but make sure you become an O-3 ASAP, preferably the day of med school graduation. Because I did that (and not a week later) I'm being promoted a year earlier than I otherwise would be.

Exactly how does one do that (making sure they're promoted to O-3 as soon as school ends)?

Exactly how does one do that (making sure they're promoted to O-3 as soon as school ends)?

I can't actually remember. Its been 4 years and about 10,000 patients. My father in law did mine (just like he did my commissioning.) I think the HPSP folks can tell you how to get it lined up.

It has to do with the paperwork you submit to your HPSP command. Every student has to send in verification of meeting the requirements for graduation (from the school) which includes the day of graduation. Then your HPSP command will submit paperwork for your date of promotion to O-3 as the day of your graduation ceremony. You can have your promotion ceremony on that day or before but your official day of promotion will be your date of graduation.

I worked in undersea warfare and Comoptevfor while trying to pursue this little deal. They were so helpful, letting me take time off work to go to class, writing recomendations, etc. I had the XO do my ensign commission. There is something kind of cool about taking off LT bars and getting back the ensign salute. My wife attended, but I think that it was because she got a kick out of me having to salute her (CAPT in the Marine Corps at the time). The only reason I did it there, and not at the recruitors office was because I wanted to thank the command for all the support they had given me.

After final select and approval from Sec Def, how long usually does it take for the tuition and stipened to kick in, if I am currently in school? Thank you all for your kind responses.

After final select and approval from Sec Def, how long usually does it take for the tuition and stipened to kick in, if I am currently in school? Thank you all for your kind responses.

I think it takes about 30 days for the stipend, according to the handbook. If it's shorter than that, I'd love to be corrected..

To give you the best answer we would need to know some more specifics about your situation. Lets say that after you start 1st year you decide to apply to the scholarship and you are approved by like Feb. You will only get accepted for a 3 year scholarship so your stipend and tuition will activate on your 1st day of your 2nd year. You may not get your stipend though until either the 1st or 15th of the month which will happen after your first day of class. If you get accepted for a 4 year scholarship but you do not get commissioned until just before school starts or just after school starts then your tuition will get payed but it will be later than other people. You just have to provide your school with verification of the scholarship and they most likely will not make you come up with the money. And your stipend will start on either the 1st or 15th of the month after your paperwork is finally entered into the system after your commission. I hope I did not just confuse you more.