Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carrie Bradshaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to a number of personal issues I will have to start out at a junior college and stay there for a year. Do you think that taking honors courses will offset the fact that they're CC courses a bit, or at least give my grades a little more credit? This is my planned schedule;

Semester 1
english 1
bio 1 & lab
chem 1 & lab
college algebra

Semester 2
bio 2 & lab
chem 2 & lab
trigonometry
english 2

Will it look that bad that I took 2 science prereqs at a CC? I really want to take the old MCAT before it changes and I am trying to stay on schedule for that. I definitely plan on taking upper bio, math,chem & english at a senior college. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a community college for almost 2 years and then a University for the rest. As long you take the majority of your pre-reqs at the University you should be fine. Going to community college is not a big deal as long as you maintain your GPA or even do better at the 4 year University. I don't think you neccessarily need Honors just have to get a high GPA.

Just take them at a CC. SDN is too paranoid when it comes to CC courses taken by freshmen.

Reactions: 1 user
Due to a number of personal issues I will have to start out at a junior college and stay there for a year. Do you think that taking honors courses will offset the fact that they're CC courses a bit, or at least give my grades a little more credit? This is my planned schedule;

Semester 1
english 1
bio 1 & lab
chem 1 & lab
college algebra

Semester 2
bio 2 & lab
chem 2 & lab
trigonometry
english 2

Will it look that bad that I took 2 science prereqs at a CC? I really want to take the old MCAT before it changes and I am trying to stay on schedule for that. I definitely plan on taking upper bio, math,chem & english at a senior college. TIA
All med schools don't accept CC credits for prerequisites, but the vast majority will. It is a common perception that CCs lack the rigor necessary to prepare you well for the MCAT (though not always true). If you take CC Bio courses, be sure to ace them. And when you transfer, don't let your grades drop and prove this perception true in your case. In general, though, I think you'll be fine taking a few science classes there.

Reactions: 1 user