About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competitive ER residencies

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by rattlesnake, Jun 19, 2002.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. rattlesnake

rattlesnake Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi everyone,
    I am intersted in ER field. Does anyone know what are the best ER residencies?
  2. Amy

Amy Animal Lover

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    First of all, if you're interested in it, you should refer to it correctly... it's EM. :rolleyes:
  3. rattlesnake

rattlesnake Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Sorry for the incorrect spelling. I just got accepted to medical school. I have always wanted to be ER (I mean EM) doctor. I just needed someone's advice about EM residencies.
  4. gg

gg Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    you can check out various em residencies at: <a href="http://www.saem.org/rescat/contents.htm" target="_blank">http://www.saem.org/rescat/contents.htm</a>
    they list 3 year and 4 year em programs.
  5. Hornet871

Hornet871 Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Some of the more prestigious programs, in no particular order:

Denver
    Cincinnati
    Hennepin County (Minnesota)
    Oregon Health Sciences
    New Mexico
    Cook County (Chicago)

There are many others, no doubt, but I'm just starting to research EM myself.

Malignant programs - so I'm told:
    Hopkins
    Yale

Yale is bad. They run you into the ground and the faculty is not no nice. Hopkins sucks, plus EM docs there are caught in a petty turf war b/t IM and G-Surg. At Hopkins, they look at EM docs as being just a notch above scrub techs and nurses.

(Please, somone flame me about how all docs should just be considered a notch above nurses, or how scrub techs do a valuable job.) :)
  6. midwest girl

midwest girl Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    The programs that have been mentioned above are all good programs. There have been several other posts on this forum about this topic in the past, and you may be able to look back (to around January/February of 2002), to find ideas on some of the programs with good reputations.

Just my two cents --below I have listed some programs with very good reputations (there are plenty of others, though, so I recommend doing research at saem.org to find out what type of program you are looking for...

Also, you may want to check out scutwork.com to look at some of the programs that didn't fill last year.

Hennepin County in Minneapolis
    Carolinas in Charlotte
    Pittsburgh
    Cincy
    Denver
    Vanderbilt
    Indianapolis
    UCLA-Harbor