Computer suggestions for PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDpt5844

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was recently accepted into a physical therapy program and I am looking to purchase a new laptop.

1) Can any current pt students, soon to be pt students tell me what computer they have and if they find it is the best for school?

2) I am used to my Mac but I am willing to try other options. Has anyone had a problem using a Mac during school (some people tell me they can't open all programs that the school uses)?

3) How much storage should I get?

4) What is the best way to take notes for school?

5) Any advice with a surface pro or any other Windows computer?

6) Do you think 2-in-1 laptops are beneficial?

Thank you for your help! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone! I was recently accepted into a physical therapy program and I am looking to purchase a new laptop.

1) Can any current pt students, soon to be pt students tell me what computer they have and if they find it is the best for school?

2) I am used to my Mac but I am willing to try other options. Has anyone had a problem using a Mac during school (some people tell me they can't open all programs that the school uses)?

3) How much storage should I get?

4) What is the best way to take notes for school?

5) Any advice with a surface pro or any other Windows computer?

6) Do you think 2-in-1 laptops are beneficial?

Thank you for your help! I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this time.

Hi, I have a Macbook and an HP 2 in 1 laptop/tablet. I'm only taking my Macbook with me for the program and planning on getting an iPad pro. My cousin who is in PA school has a Macbook & iPad Pro combo and loves it. So that's what I would recommend. I don't like the HP because it's hard to use cause I feel like it's really touch sensitive especially when I'm using OneNote and using a stylus to write. It will glitch and not register my handwriting while my palm rests on the screen. Message me if you have more questions!

Hi, I have a Macbook and an HP 2 in 1 laptop/tablet. I'm only taking my Macbook with me for the program and planning on getting an iPad pro. My cousin who is in PA school has a Macbook & iPad Pro combo and loves it. So that's what I would recommend. I don't like the HP because it's hard to use cause I feel like it's really touch sensitive especially when I'm using OneNote and using a stylus to write. It will glitch and not register my handwriting while my palm rests on the screen. Message me if you have more questions!
Thank you so much! I was originally looking into the Surface laptop which was going to be around $2,100 but I came across the HP envy x360 and that would be around $1,000. These computers seem so similar but yet so different. I'm definitely doing my research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! I was originally looking into the Surface laptop which was going to be around $2,100 but I came across the HP envy x360 and that would be around $1,000. These computers seem so similar but yet so different. I'm definitely doing my research.

The HP I have is the Spectre x360. The glitching would get irritating after a while. The pen on iPad Pro works seamlessly with the note-taking apps. I have tried hers out!

I'm starting my program in June (hopefully), and I just bought the Surface Pro 7. I luckily went to a Microsoft store back in February to test it out to make sure I liked it. The keyboard cover makes it function as a laptop, but it works great as a tablet for taking notes too, even with your wrist on the screen. I've appreciated buying it early and playing around with the features. I'm not a big Apple user so I can't really compare. I will say, many of the note-taking apps (e.g. notability) are not available for PC or Android yet. From what I've read, OneNote works very similarly though. Watching some tutorials of the functions of different devices/apps helped too! As for memory/storage, you should decide of you want to store things directly on the device or if you're going to use OneDrive or dropbox or... iCloud? (again, not a big Apple person). I'm using OneDrive, so I don't really need too much space on the device itself.

I did some tech soul searching too. I knew I wanted something I could draw on, which made me consider surface pros or iPads. I knew I could attach a keyboard to make these function as laptops which I know I'll need as well. I didn't want a laptop that can turn tablet because I was worried if I drop it or something and break the keyboard it may be a harder fix (I have zero reason for this other than my gut saying that seemed like a lesser deal). I ultimately went Surface Pro because I'm a PC/android person. I've used Macs and ipads before and they're just not my thing, plus an apple account is just one more thing to work with when I already have a Microsft account for my personal email and such (Office 360).

Ultimately you should get what feels comfortable to you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Not sure how it would influence your choice, but you very well may be "distance learning" through the fall so make sure you can watch videos well and probably take notes at the same time.

I had a MacBook Pro in undergrad and I’m still using that but I also purchased an iPad Air with a keyboard case in the fall. I love having two screens and they sync so I can access things on both devices. It’s also been super helpful since switching to online because I can watch the lectures on my laptop and type my notes on my iPad. I also have an anatomy app on my iPad that I’ve found extremely helpful. Many of my classmates also have both an ipad and a laptop and we’ve all found it so convenient to have both.

I have a Macbook Air from undergrad which I use for home use mostly. I have been using it more during the quarantine. I also have an iPad which I use for my note taking, quizlets, and other apps like the anatomy one. it's more interactive for learning IMO.

I don't know what your budget range is but Costco has a Surface Pro 7 bundle for sale for $999. It includes the $130 keyboard attachment and the $99 surface pen, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, i5 processor). The MSRP is $1,199 for the SP7 by itself, not including the keyboard or pen. So that's a pretty good deal if you're going that route.

I just bought it myself so I don't have personal experience, but from what I saw on YouTube the OneNote experience is fantastic with pen and/or keyboard. I suggest looking on YouTube to see some of the features. They are pretty cool.

Did your program send you anything regarding what they recommend you pick for your laptop? You might want to ask them if there is any difference in compatibility between Mac and Windows.

I like my surface pro that I got from Costco last year. No problems with it, really. I've seen that the newer ipads have amazing screens and writing abilities for note-taking, but my surface doesn't disappoint, either. I think I'll be holding onto it for at least a while once I start school.

I'm finishing up my first year in my DPT program and switched from a macbook to a surface pro in the fall. I love being able to switch between hand written and typed notes. Being able to draw on handouts also comes in handy for labeling anatomy diagrams. It's convenient to switch quickly to a tablet mode for labs. One Note is also nice because it keeps your notes organized effortlessly, and you can access notes from previous classes quickly!

I don't really have any complaints, even with how much more I've been using my surface since we've transitioned to virtual classes.