Confused/Frustrated: Good Pick of Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a2raya83

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a major question, I just got my MCATs back and I just finished my AMCAS application (I started late thinking I would take another year off school).

My residency is in Illinois (went to UofI-Champaign), OGPA is 3.5, and my MCAT is 31Q (PS:10/VS:11/BS:10). I have heavy ECs in 3+ years of clinical volunteering and sitting on a board of a few very active humanitarian organizations.

I want to send in my apps ASAP, but didn't want to apply to a lot of schools for obvious financial reasons and to some schools I do not stand a chance.

UCLA/Geffen
Georgetown
USC
Loyola
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin University
Rush Medical College
Saint Louis University
UCLA/Drew
UCSF
UCDavis
UCIrvine
U of Chicago
U of Illinois - Chicago
U of Wisconsin

Would you think the above cover an array of schools that suit me?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Take out the UC's. They're a waste of time if you're not a CA resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to apply more broadly. Maybe a few less-competitive schools on the east coast (NYMC, Drexel for ex.). I agree that applying to the UC schools is a waste of money.

I'm going to assume your BCPM is close to your overall GPA

I would apply to:

Illinois
Ros Franklin U
Rush
Loyola
Virginia Commonwealth
Toledo
MCW
Cincinnati
Temple
SLU
NYMC
Jefferson
EVMS
Drexel
Albany
USC
Pittsburgh
Northwestern
UChicago

Do not apply to any California schools other than maybe USC. It is extremely difficult to get an interview if you are not from Cali.

I'm going to assume your BCPM is close to your overall GPA

I would apply to:

Illinois
Ros Franklin U
Rush
Loyola
Virginia Commonwealth
Toledo
MCW
Cincinnati
Temple
SLU
NYMC
Jefferson
EVMS
Drexel
Albany
USC
Pittsburgh
Northwestern
UChicago

Do not apply to any California schools other than maybe USC. It is extremely difficult to get an interview if you are not from Cali.

Thanks a lot!!!!

That helps me so much, since I was so worried about not applying to a full spectrum of med schools.

I do really want to go to Cali for med school, but I understand that with my stats and my residency in IL its near impossible for me to get into the UC systems.

I will keep my hopes for USC, but how is Loma Linda? I have not read any reviews on their med school.

but how is Loma Linda?

Religious institution heavily focused on granting admission to Seventh Day Adventists, and second people with strong Christian values. Mandatory church attendance weekly for two years, alcohol forbidden and drinking it is grounds for dismissal, no meat in cafeteria.

If none of this irks you, research further and apply.

Religious institution heavily focused on granting admission to Seventh Day Adventists, and second people with strong Christian values. Mandatory church attendance weekly for two years, alcohol forbidden and drinking it is grounds for dismissal, no meat in cafeteria.

If none of this irks you, research further and apply.

I've heard they also don't like caffeine.