Confused MD/DO situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am sorry but I just have to ask? But why do you have a signature that is a one sided argument agaisnt Osteopathic Schools. I mean, I would not advise people to go to the Carribbean for Med School but I would not put all the negatives on my signature...There are a few allopathic schools that I would not want people to go either but you dont see me put the negatives of those schools in my sig...are you bitter about something? I dont understand?

Members don't see this ad.

there are AOA residencies in just about every specialty. The only exception which I can think of off the top of my head is pathology.

What about radonc that always comes up when there is one of these discussions. I havent done any research but in the spirit of pre-allo I will put that out there as fact.

:thumbdown:thumbdown

I am sorry but I just have to ask? But why do you have a signature that is a one sided argument agaisnt Osteopathic Schools.

Kinda reminds me of DDSbound with his stats in his signature along with future DDS/MD. That always used to kill me.

I figure if I say his name enough he will pop up just like Beatlegeuse.

DDSbound, DDSbound, DDSbound.... anything?

Per AOCR and AOA opportunities there is no osteopathic rad onc residency and there is 78 ACGME rad onc residencies. With Pathology there are none listed on their AOA opportunities website which is why JayneCobb said there are no path residencies.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't any out there. They might not participate in the match (doubtful) or it could be an expanded new program. Rad onc is a relatively new field and with the majority of osteopaths going into primary care (FP/IM/Peds) that might be why it hasn't expanded into some of these subspecialities so quickly. Oh if and if your curious rad onc is a 5 year residency, you have to do an internship year then 2-5 are your rad onc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry but I just have to ask? But why do you have a signature that is a one sided argument agaisnt Osteopathic Schools. I mean, I would not advise people to go to the Carribbean for Med School but I would not put all the negatives on my signature...There are a few allopathic schools that I would not want people to go either but you dont see me put the negatives of those schools in my sig...are you bitter about something? I dont understand?

He's a pre-med who googled "osteopathic" and now thinks he knows more than actual medical students, residents, and practicing physicians :laugh:

To the person inquiring about pathology residencies - again I can't comment on other schools because I'm not familiar with their matchlists, but NYCOM had pathology matches at NYU, Yale, and Einstein/Montefiore this past year. They're not DO residencies, but pretty impressive MD residencies nonetheless.

I didn't see any rad onc matches on our most recent list, but there were 8 diag. radiology matches

\sarcasm on

I guess these MD residencies are sick of allopaths using their mercury and arsenic to try to treat every type of infection so they've started accepting DOs who don't poison their patients

/sarcasm off

Per AOCR and AOA opportunities there is no osteopathic rad onc residency and there is 78 ACGME rad onc residencies. With Pathology there are none listed on their AOA opportunities website which is why JayneCobb said there are no path residencies.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't any out there. They might not participate in the match (doubtful) or it could be an expanded new program. Rad onc is a relatively new field and with the majority of osteopaths going into primary care (FP/IM/Peds) that might be why it hasn't expanded into some of these subspecialities so quickly. Oh if and if your curious rad onc is a 5 year residency, you have to do an internship year then 2-5 are your rad onc.

There is at least one pathology residency that I know of that is dually accredited by both the AOA and ACGME, here is the link:

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org...0&returnPage=1

see? i was right. you are obviously a little premed that thinks he can play with the big dogs. if you are really passionate about your opinions, you'd have a more substantial response to the arguments posted in this thread. instead, you hide and come back only when someone posts something that agrees with your opinion.

you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and in your world, carib may be better than DO. as delineated above, i am probably in the middle camp of DOs that won't care either way as long as i'm a doctor in my specialty of choice.

but i love that you've effective proven yourself wrong and too weak to respond to the discussion. and as was said before, the links in your sig are either outdated, are written by a DO that has issue with the way the AOA is handling everything, or are written by MDs that somehow have a chip on their shoulder about DOs. have you ever heard of an unbiased argument and evidence? apparently not.

I find it really funny... When people try and say MD=DO some DO shouts out about different philosophies but when people say that they are very different some other DO shouts out that the philosophies are not that disparate.

Thank you.

And yes, screw the desert and screw philosophy. Everyone knows that VWs break down all the time anyway.

There is at least one pathology residency that I know of that is dually accredited by both the AOA and ACGME, here is the link:

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org...0&returnPage=1
Well that is forensic pathology (which is a 1 year fellowship I believe). Not to say that it doesn't count but there are no clinical/anatomic pathology residencies which you need in order to do the fellowship.

see? i was right. you are obviously a little premed that thinks he can play with the big dogs. if you are really passionate about your opinions, you'd have a more substantial response to the arguments posted in this thread. instead, you hide and come back only when someone posts something that agrees with your opinion.

you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and in your world, carib may be better than DO. as delineated above, i am probably in the middle camp of DOs that won't care either way as long as i'm a doctor in my specialty of choice.

but i love that you've effective proven yourself wrong and too weak to respond to the discussion. and as was said before, the links in your sig are either outdated, are written by a DO that has issue with the way the AOA is handling everything, or are written by MDs that somehow have a chip on their shoulder about DOs. have you ever heard of an unbiased argument and evidence? apparently not.

Of course he has no arguments, that would require original thought. All he is trying to do is incite anger, and we are all letting him succeed. Simply ignore him and he will leave. Stray dogs will always stick around if you feed them.

He's a pre-med who googled "osteopathic" and now thinks he knows more than actual medical students, residents, and practicing physicians :laugh:

To the person inquiring about pathology residencies - again I can't comment on other schools because I'm not familiar with their matchlists, but NYCOM had pathology matches at NYU, Yale, and Einstein/Montefiore this past year. They're not DO residencies, but pretty impressive MD residencies nonetheless.

I didn't see any rad onc matches on our most recent list, but there were 8 diag. radiology matches

\sarcasm on

I guess these MD residencies are sick of allopaths using their mercury and arsenic to try to treat every type of infection so they've started accepting DOs who don't poison their patients

/sarcasm off

DMU had a rad onc allo match this year, in among it's other great matches.

Thank you.

And yes, screw the desert and screw philosophy. Everyone knows that VWs break down all the time anyway.

Proving again that you can't actually argue on point. At least you're consistent. :rolleyes:

Of course he has no arguments, that would require original thought. All he is trying to do is incite anger, and we are all letting him succeed. Simply ignore him and he will leave. Stray dogs will always stick around if you feed them.

All you can do is try to educate them, but if they insist on being right when they aren't, and they insist on arguing side issues instead of the actual subject, well, ignore lists are handy.

true. lol

Only if you do something you've never done before to study for it. How did you study for it the last time around?

I am really considering retaking the exam later this year. I have always been a fairly competitive student and have always scored above the 50% mark. I will always regret that I couldn't score the avg. on a standardized test. Plus, I have nothing to lose, if I take the exam after applying this summer. If I end up doing well, then I can always retract my apps and apply again next year.

-I was also inspired by this post last night: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=412778

Here is how I prepared for the exam each time:

Aug 2005: Took a Kaplan course. Didn't work hard enough to understand the material. Just read the review notes and did minimal practice. Scored lower than my diag. on test day.

Aug 2006: Read Kaplan review notes rather quickly, but had a Kaplan 1 on 1 tutor for 20 hrs. Did a lot of practice problems, including some AAMC tests. Scored low in all tests. Ended up with a 24...8's across.

Jan 2007: Read Kaplan review notes very thoroughly. Tried to understand concepts. Did all 7 of the AAMC tests. Ranged from 26-29. Ended up with a 25 on real thing. Some of the tests were repeats. Also, briefly referenced to TPR review notes. I also used the EK verbal 101 book, but VR score did not change. Prax EK VR scores avg. around 7.

May 2007: Became extremely serious.
-Followed the complete EK schedule and looked over all 1001 problem sets.
-Did all the EK VR tests over and avg at a 9.
-After Ek was done, I quickly read through the Kaplan review notes and the TPR review notes.
-Also did all 11 of Kaplans VR tests (avg. 7), did all TPR VR tests (avg. 7),
-did all Kaplan section tests for Bio Sci and Phy Sci.
-Repeated all the 7 AAMC tests (avg. 33-avg 11-12s in PS and BS).
-Also, quickly skimmed through Columbia intensive mcat prep book and Nova physics book.
-Listend to EK audio osmosis for 2hrs, 3X a week. Repeated entire audio set 3X.
  • I felt I knew the material pretty well for this test. However, when I came home I immediately spent 5 hrs on google and talking to other people to find out so many stupid mistakes and questions where I got tricked for not being careful. This test always screws with my critical thinking skills. I def knew I got about 8 wrong in PS and 6 wrong BS. I was praying that was all I got wrong. I can't believe my score went down after all the effort I put into this!
****The main reason I am having trouble accepting my scores is because I was in a combined bs/md program and I just had to achieve the min mcat requirement. Now, I have lost my spot and will regret it forever. I have to find a way to prove to myself that I am not a below average science student.

I am really considering retaking the exam later this year. I have always been a fairly competitive student and have always scored above the 50% mark. I will always regret that I couldn't score the avg. on a standardized test. Plus, I have nothing to lose, if I take the exam after applying this summer. If I end up doing well, then I can always retract my apps and apply again next year.

Like most people said before, I wouldn't retake it now - adcoms will be very suspicious of having taken the test 4 times with no real score improvement, and it sounds like especially the last time you went all out - you actually answered your own question when you said you made a bunch of "stupid mistakes" - no amount of studying is going to change that.

Before this thread turned into a flame war, I think there was a good deal of agreement that there is nothing you can't do with a DO...why torture yourself spending more time and money on the test and what is likely to be a wasted application when it sounds like you'll get in this path?

****The main reason I am having trouble accepting my scores is because I was in a combined bs/md program and I just had to achieve the min mcat requirement. Now, I have lost my spot and will regret it forever. I have to find a way to prove to myself that I am not a below average science student.

I AM a below-average science student who just happens to be pretty good at taking tests (and, from the sounds of it, also a fellow desi), the MCAT didn't really prove anything one way or the other. You aren't going to get your seat back, and bs/md sucks anyway (match lists for those are terrible, from what I've heard), so suck it up and move on

Like most people said before, I wouldn't retake it now - adcoms will be very suspicious of having taken the test 4 times with no real score improvement, and it sounds like especially the last time you went all out - you actually answered your own question when you said you made a bunch of "stupid mistakes" - no amount of studying is going to change that.

Before this thread turned into a flame war, I think there was a good deal of agreement that there is nothing you can do with a DO...why torture yourself spending more time and money on the test and what is likely to be a wasted application when it sounds like you'll get in this path?

Adcoms will be more suspicious of having a crappy MCAT score. If you feel you can improve, even 5 points, retake the test.

When you took all those tests, did you take just as much time grading and figuring out why you were missing questions. That is probably the easiest way to improve.

You have an incredibly long road ahead of you. The MCAT is probably the smallest and cheapest of the hurdles. Once you move down one path it is impossible to go back. By the end the MCAT will seem small compared to what you had to go through in medical school. So if you want to retake, retake it.