Controlled substances discrepancy resolution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

all4rx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to know how other hospitals handle CS discrepancy. In my hospital. RNs are supposed to resolve discrepancy in Pyxis themselves. If they can't figure out or don't know how to, we send a RPh or Certified Tech down after investigating with the help of an activity report of all station events. The tech can show nurses how to fix the discrepancy if there is a good reason for the wrong count that we already figured out. However, if there's no good/clear reason for why there is a discrepancy, then pretty much every top figures in the hospital (Pharmacy director, Chief Nursing, Chief Executive, etc.) must be notified immediately, meaning they all will be called/paged regardless of whether they're in-house or not. Then, all RNs of that station will be held accountable and sent for drug test. They can't even leave when the shift ends until they're all gone for urine drug testing.

Policy is policy, but I sometimes think this strategy is a little bit too much aggressive and cumbersome especially when it asks to notify everyone immediately. It makes sense if hospital's pharmacy run 24/7 and everyone is in-house all the time. Our pharmacy is not 24/7, and at night, it's down to only one pharmacist and tech....that creates problem. While I think any discrepancies must be resolved in a timely manner, the requirement for reporting should be within one business day just as the requirement to report any significant theft/loss to DEA and such per federal pharmacy law, meaning we are still able to deal with this in the next shift.

Anyway, just want to see how other institutions' policies are like for this issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If the loss or discrepnacy is significant then I agree everyone must be called upon. However, if it is off by a tablet or two then the individual must be held accountable. All the nurses that I've worked with are highly aware of this. Sounds like a new training program is needed to ensure the nurses know how to resolve their own discrepancy appropriately.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2