converse at an mmi interview (!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleetwoodquack

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, the title is unfortunately exactly what it sounds like- i never imagined having to ask a question like this but here we are :(

i'm currently living abroad, which means that i don't have a large collection of shoes with me- only my converse, my running shoes, my hiking shoes, and a pair of heels that to be honest are really only appropriate for clubs. i ordered a pair of leather heeled boots to wear for my mmi interview (which is tomorrow in person at edinburgh)- but even though they were scheduled to arrive last week with express shipping, because of a series of unexplained delays they won't arrive in time before i fly out.

i would borrow shoes from a friend but none of them have the same shoe size, and i really don't want to have to spend money on a new pair of boots because i'll have to get something cheap and that would be a waste, i'd only wear them once.

is it okay to wear converse to the interview? the dress code is business casual, and since it is on campus i imagine there will be a lot of walking. the converse are also the higher end version (chuck 70 vintage highs in black), so they're not too aggressively casual as far as converse sneakers go. any advice for what i should do here?

if it helps, the rest of my outfit is a cream colored wool sweater and black tailored pants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have time, can you check out a local thrift store? Not really a waste if it's secondhand :)
But if you don't find anything and really make the rest of your appearance as classy/put together as possible I'm sure you'll be fine. If they're black they'll probably blend in with the rest of your outfit. Don't stress about it, just do what you need to do to feel good about yourself walking into the interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If you have time, can you check out a local thrift store? Not really a waste if it's secondhand :)
But if you don't find anything and really make the rest of your appearance as classy/put together as possible I'm sure you'll be fine. If they're black they'll probably blend in with the rest of your outfit. Don't stress about it, just do what you need to do to feel good about yourself walking into the interview. Good luck!
i'm a huge thrifter so i did consider this option, but unfortunately where i live there aren't any thrift stores i could feasibly get to in time (or really even non-thrift shoe stores). thank you for the vote of confidence, though- it looks like i might just have to lean into the scandi chic aesthetic for this interview lol

Members don't see this ad :)
follow up question- i found out that if i put black socks under my heels, they look way less like clubbing shoes. the height definitely isn’t ideal (they’re like 4in) and they look a little weird up close, but they might be a better choice than the converse- it’s probably better to be more formal, right?
here’s some pictures of them with the full interview day outfit:

Attachments

• E65CAD60-725E-4A6C-B1D8-8FA2B42B50CA.jpeg
    E65CAD60-725E-4A6C-B1D8-8FA2B42B50CA.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 03E56F0F-0C12-44C5-AAEC-AED252CD3D99.jpeg
    03E56F0F-0C12-44C5-AAEC-AED252CD3D99.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 163
Can we see the outfit with the converse? I don’t think this looks bad at all. :) but converse might be more comfortable if they look ok

Can we see the outfit with the converse? I don’t think this looks bad at all. :) but converse might be more comfortable if they look ok
sure! i took a few action shots too for the full impression 😅

Attachments

• 88D432A1-D79E-4FBE-AAEE-130B00C9480B.jpeg
    88D432A1-D79E-4FBE-AAEE-130B00C9480B.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 168
  • C67A98D7-CAE6-4249-B330-F20706C57884.jpeg
    C67A98D7-CAE6-4249-B330-F20706C57884.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 3471EABD-66E9-43BB-B24D-9673661DDD8B.jpeg
    3471EABD-66E9-43BB-B24D-9673661DDD8B.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 169
I say the converse look business casual with the outfit. The purse is a nice touch

thank you so much everyone for your help, i’m feeling a lot better about the whole situation now! i’ll plan on wearing the converse for the interview and keep the heels in my bag just in case.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should wear the heels with the socks! It looks good based on the photos. The converse are not formal enough, imo.

Reactions: 3 users
I would wear the heels for the interview itself. Switch to the sneakers for campus tour etc. if you could switch the sneaker laces to black you could get away with them. The laces pop and are distracting.

I would wear the heels for the interview itself. Switch to the sneakers for campus tour etc. if you could switch the sneaker laces to black you could get away with them. The laces pop and are distracting.
that was the sticking point for me too, the laces are what made me question them being acceptable. in that case i'll switch to the heels and socks, it definitely looks weird up close but it is what it is! appreciate the help