Question about WCVM MMI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flashthesloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone

I come up with a question about WCVM MMI after reading some topics on MMI on this forum. How many steps will I go through during the interview? Do I need to write an essay during the interview? It is said that the book "An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics" is very helpful for WCVM MMI. Is it true or overstated its effect? Hope to hear from you guys. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you mean Saskatchewan, WCVM doesn't do MMI (unless they're changing something for next year). They do a panel interview. UCVM does MMI.

Assuming you mean Saskatchewan, WCVM doesn't do MMI (unless they're changing something for next year). They do a panel interview. UCVM does MMI.

Yes you are right. I'm talking about Saskatchewan WCVM. what is panel interview? Do I need to write an essay about my past experiences during the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are interviewed by a panel of (I think it's three) people. One session in more of a conversational or question and answer style rather than a series of separate MMI stations. I'm not sure whether they require an essay, since I never interviewed there. I applied, but didn't make the cut for them. Maybe @SunnyAntia or @LeilaFay could help me out with that part of your question?

You are interviewed by a panel of (I think it's three) people. One session in more of a conversational or question and answer style rather than a series of separate MMI stations. I'm not sure whether they require an essay, since I never interviewed there. I applied, but didn't make the cut for them. Maybe @SunnyAntia or @LeilaFay could help me out with that part of your question?

squeaksmom, is it possible to tell me that how did you become a vet student?

Well, I'm a UCVM student. UCVM DOES use the MMI, and they only take Alberta residents at the moment unless something has changed very recently. As far as a breakdown of my whole process, I'm a mature student (in my late 30s and a mom) so my route won't apply to most people. If you're still interested I'm happy to share, but just be aware that the way I went about it was far from the norm.

Well, I'm a UCVM student. UCVM DOES use the MMI, and they only take Alberta residents at the moment unless something has changed very recently. As far as a breakdown of my whole process, I'm a mature student (in my late 30s and a mom) so my route won't apply to most people. If you're still interested I'm happy to share, but just be aware that the way I went about it was far from the norm.

Oh... I thought "mature student" was referred to students who graduated from a university long time ago. What kind of questions were you asked of during MMI? What else did you go through except for being asked of questions?

The term mature student may have different connotations in different areas, but I've always known it used as an undergrad student who's older than the average due to either starting late or coming back and trying again. In my case I did some undergrad after high school, 1995-2000, and left before completing my degree for health reasons. I then came back in 2010 and started over. I did four more years of undergrad and then was accepted to vet school. Still don't have that undergrad degree. :p In the gap from 2000-2010 I was lucky enough to work a lot of jobs that gave me animal or veterinary experience in some way, so that helped a great deal with my application.

UCVM has you sign confidentiality, so I'm not comfortable saying too much about specifics of the questions. Plus the questions change every year anyways so telling you what we were asked probably wouldn't be helpful. I'll just say that most of them are complex, and require you to consider many different perspectives in formulating your answer. The ethics book by Bernard Rollins (the one you mentioned in your first post) is very helpful for preparation, as you've already heard. I think they're looking more for how you reason through the question and come up with your answer and back it up, rather than looking for any specific answer to a given question. For UCVM there is also an essay, and again I think they're looking more for your logic/thought process and how you articulate yourself rather than a specific answer to the question.

Are you familiar with how an MMI works? It's very different from what most people think of when they hear "interview."

The term mature student may have different connotations in different areas, but I've always known it used as an undergrad student who's older than the average due to either starting late or coming back and trying again. In my case I did some undergrad after high school, 1995-2000, and left before completing my degree for health reasons. I then came back in 2010 and started over. I did four more years of undergrad and then was accepted to vet school. Still don't have that undergrad degree. :p In the gap from 2000-2010 I was lucky enough to work a lot of jobs that gave me animal or veterinary experience in some way, so that helped a great deal with my application.

UCVM has you sign confidentiality, so I'm not comfortable saying too much about specifics of the questions. Plus the questions change every year anyways so telling you what we were asked probably wouldn't be helpful. I'll just say that most of them are complex, and require you to consider many different perspectives in formulating your answer. The ethics book by Bernard Rollins (the one you mentioned in your first post) is very helpful for preparation, as you've already heard. I think they're looking more for how you reason through the question and come up with your answer and back it up, rather than looking for any specific answer to a given question. For UCVM there is also an essay, and again I think they're looking more for your logic/thought process and how you articulate yourself rather than a specific answer to the question.

Are you familiar with how an MMI works? It's very different from what most people think of when they hear "interview."

I started my education late at university too. I have been working for about 10 years after I got kicked out of high school. I realized that life will not be easy if I am uneducated, so I managed to graduate from highschool. I can't stop from pursuing another success after I obtained my first academic achievement, so I am trying to become a vet now.

I am not sure how the MMI works, but since there is a confidentiality contract between students and UCVM, it is no point for me to have the vet students like you discussing further about this MMI stuff. I am kinda concerned about the panel interview though. I am reading the Rollins' book and prepare for the interview with my own answers. Hopefully, I don't need to write an essay during the interview because my writing is sucks