This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mircookies

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since interviews are coming up, we should all be preparing! Let’s work together and share all of our tips, ideas, or questions.

What worked for you in the past? Have any questions that leave you stumped?

MMI vs student panel?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"Be yourself" worked pretty well.

Reactions: 7 users
I'd say it would be a good idea to start doing wrist curls. Interviewers value a strong handshake.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No noodle arms :p
But at the same time: if someone's handshake causes physical pain, that's them, not you. One of my pet peeves. Firm handshake =/= causing pain and turning my hand white. You can certainly feel my hand folding in half, I can hear my bones creaking, so I don't know why you're continuing to squeezing even harder now?

Sorry, mini rant over :p Continue with the actual helpful advice.

Reactions: 2 users
But at the same time: if someone's handshake causes physical pain, that's them, not you. One of my pet peeves. Firm handshake =/= causing pain and turning my hand white. You can certainly feel my hand folding in half, I can hear my bones creaking, so I don't know why you're continuing to squeezing even harder now?

Sorry, mini rant over :p Continue with the actual helpful advice.
Oh yes definitely not. You want a firm handshake, not to rip their hand off.

I mean.......ASSERT YOUR DOMINANCE. RIP THEIR ARM OFF. FIRST ONE TO LET GO IS WEAK.

Reactions: 6 users
Serious note: treat everyone there with respect, from the dude in the bagel to the Q+A students to admissions secretaries. They matter just as much and deserve as much respect as your interviewers.

Serious note: treat everyone there with respect, from the dude in the bagel to the Q+A students to admissions secretaries. They matter just as much and deserve as much respect as your interviewers.
I don’t remember him from interviews.....

12BCFD2C-2B75-4594-8C5D-66883766F098.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
So this might be a really bad question, please forgive me....

I've always been told to go into any kind of interview (admissions, jobs, etc.) with questions to ask the interviewer. What kind of questions should I be bringing to my interviews?? I don't want to ask anything dumb that they think I should know the answer to already, but I also don't want to look like I don't actually care and didn't think enough about the interview to have any questions. TIA!!

I've always been told to go into any kind of interview (admissions, jobs, etc.) with questions to ask the interviewer. What kind of questions should I be bringing to my interviews?? I don't want to ask anything dumb that they think I should know the answer to already, but I also don't want to look like I don't actually care and didn't think enough about the interview to have any questions. TIA!!
I know I asked about what kind of services they offer for academic help if needed like tutors. I can’t remember exactly what else I asked, but I had 3 or so questions written down in a padfolio (it was light pink and not boring black, so I don’t think having a colored one instead matters, since it still looks nice) and brought that and a pen in the room with me so I could remember my questions and also have a place to write down answers. I think I got it for under $15 from Walgreens the night before one of my interviews.
You could also ask things like how many surgeries (spays/neuters) you’re required to do and what opportunities there are to get more. And if you google questions to ask at vet (or med and just tailor it to vet) school interviews you may find some more things you’d rather ask.

Reactions: 1 users
For MMI format, do they allow you to ask questions like one would be able to in a traditional interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
For MMI format, do they allow you to ask questions like one would be able to in a traditional interview?
Probably depends on the school, but MMIs may not have faculty from the school doing the interview. I know one of the vets I worked for helps out for Michigan State’s MMIs, but I don’t know if he’s the only one in the room or not (not sure exactly how they’re set up because my IS didn’t want to interview me :lame:), but I doubt he’d be able to answer too many questions about the curriculum or school since he graduated quite a while ago.
Lots of schools do have some sort of Q&A session though where you’d be able to get your questions answered though if you don’t get to ask them in the interview!

From what I've heard of MMIs it doesn't seem like you'd have a chance to ask any questions but that's not a sure thing! I feel like your best bet would be to ask an ambassador or tour guide if you have one

I'd say it would be a good idea to start doing wrist curls. Interviewers value a strong handshake.

I am a Vet assistant so every time I would go in the room to talk to clients, I would start with a firm handshake and look them right in their eyes. Set a good tone for the appointment and helped me practice. Also my coworkers knew I was practicing, so they shook my hand multiple times every day in the week leading up to my interview. ALSO, I practiced with the Vets I work with too!

Funny story though... when I went to my interview, I got a really weak handshake by one of the male interviews so I had to adjust my handshake.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

My MMI offered no Q+A time, everything was strictly timed and set up so it was as objective as possible. There was a q+a session outside of the interview though, I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case at all schools (even with traditional interview styles). It's generally a no-no to ask a question/break form during the MMI. Actually, I'm pretty sure my MMI group was specifically told to stick to the prompt. I remember sitting in silence with at a few stations if I had extra time left, we couldn't converse with our interviewers outside of the prompt.

I think I asked if there was opportunity to be paired with a clinician/faculty member for mentorship throughout the 4 years. If you're particularly interested in a certain specialty, you could ask about that department as well.

Last edited:
From what I've heard of MMIs it doesn't seem like you'd have a chance to ask any questions but that's not a sure thing! I feel like your best bet would be to ask an ambassador or tour guide if you have one
CSU MMI doesn't allow for Q&A. It's very strict with how it's ran. There is outside time though with ambassadors etc for that stuff.

Thanks everyone, this is good information. I guess it’ll be intuitive if I’m allowed to ask questions or not during the process.

Thanks everyone, this is good information. I guess it’ll be intuitive if I’m allowed to ask questions or not during the process.

They'll pretty much tell you.

The "why do you want to become a vet" is one of the hardest things to answer well. So think about it and have an answer ready. Don't rehash your entire PS. Don't start talking on and on about your childhood pets. It's ok to put in a short sentence about how watching your personal pet's health issue gave you the inspiration or how you were miss little animal whisperer since you were 2, but focus on what aspects of the profession/job appeals to you now and why you are a good fit for the profession. Also make sure you are talking about veterinarians. Not how much you loved being a receptionist or technician. This is your chance to show that you have a good grasp of the profession and your self awareness of where you fit in that.

Do MMI format interviews typically include the "why do you want to be a vet" question or are they all scenario-based?

Do MMI format interviews typically include the "why do you want to be a vet" question or are they all scenario-based?
I know some schools that do MMIs make you sign that you won’t disclose any of the questions. You could look up practice MMI questions online to get a feel of what types of questions are generally used.

Now that everyone has heard back from the schools they applied to, the interview prep begins!
Some tips I have gathered:
- Keep a notebook to answer interview questions in
- Practice with at least one person
- Make sure that you dress and act professionally
- Have a firm *but not toooo firm* handshake
- Bring copies of your unofficial transcripts
- Relax and answer honestly

Last year I blew my interviews so this year my boss is doing mock interview prep with me.

They are asking real, ethical questions to me. These are going to be the toughest ones to answer because they likely won't be something you can prepare for

Additionally, I'm being instructed to write up a brief description of "me" to rehearse and memorize, to avoid jumping all over the place in interviews.

I don't know. I had 3 and didnt get into any of the schools even though I have decent stats. And had one school confirm my interview was below average during file review.

Nerves?

hmm. I have 3 this year myself. how many have you gotten? actually, didn't you already get an acceptance so far?

Bring copies of your unofficial transcripts

I'd say this is completely unnecessary, unless you're bringing it for yourself. If they need to know that information, they'll have your file. If the interview is closed file, then they aren't supposed to know that information to begin with.

The "why do you want to become a vet" is one of the hardest things to answer well. So think about it and have an answer ready. Don't rehash your entire PS. Don't start talking on and on about your childhood pets. It's ok to put in a short sentence about how watching your personal pet's health issue gave you the inspiration or how you were miss little animal whisperer since you were 2, but focus on what aspects of the profession/job appeals to you now and why you are a good fit for the profession. Also make sure you are talking about veterinarians. Not how much you loved being a receptionist or technician. This is your chance to show that you have a good grasp of the profession and your self awareness of where you fit in that.

THIS. Please don't go on and on about Fluffy's diabetes or Lucky's TPLO repair or how you've wanted to be a vet since you learned how to poop in a toilet instead of your knickers. Nobody cares. That type of rambling is uninventive at best and naive at worst.

I'd say this is completely unnecessary, unless you're bringing it for yourself. If they need to know that information, they'll have your file. If the interview is closed file, then they aren't supposed to know that information to begin with.
I would definitely check with the school though. WSU does ask for unofficial transcripts.

Practice! If you can't practice with a vet or someone in the profession, try a MD or someone in the health profession. Chances are, the questions the schools will ask will be similar to those of medical school interviews ( or at least it was true in my experience when I practiced with medical students). I got blindsided by an ethical question I had not practiced for and now looking back on it, if I had prepared a little bit more, I would have been fine.

Hi everyone! Happy almost new year!

Aside from preparing answers to the big questions (e.g., why do you want to be a vet, why ___ school, etc.) and looking over our applications for potential questions from interviewers, I'm wondering about the "little things" on interview day. I'm interviewing at Ohio State (non-MMI) next weekend and Michigan State (MMI) the following weekend.

I'm a non-traditional applicant and since I'm out of school, I don't have access to any preparatory pre-vet advisor. I'd love your input on the little stuff. Here's some questions I came up with for now:
  • What do people wear? I was planning on wearing a blazer/suit jacket, nice top under it, dress pants, and flats. Is this nice enough? Do people wear suits?(e.g., what to wear? I don't want to under or over dress.
  • Should we bring a padfolio, resumes, have notes prepped, etc.?
  • Anything else to bring/not to bring?
  • Any other tips/advice about the process from those who have gone through it?

Thanks so much in advance! Congrats and good luck to everyone else interviewing soon!

Hi everyone! Happy almost new year!

Aside from preparing answers to the big questions (e.g., why do you want to be a vet, why ___ school, etc.) and looking over our applications for potential questions from interviewers, I'm wondering about the "little things" on interview day. I'm interviewing at Ohio State (non-MMI) next weekend and Michigan State (MMI) the following weekend.

I'm a non-traditional applicant and since I'm out of school, I don't have access to any preparatory pre-vet advisor. I'd love your input on the little stuff. Here's some questions I came up with for now:
  • What do people wear? I was planning on wearing a blazer/suit jacket, nice top under it, dress pants, and flats. Is this nice enough? Do people wear suits?(e.g., what to wear? I don't want to under or over dress.
  • Should we bring a padfolio, resumes, have notes prepped, etc.?
  • Anything else to bring/not to bring?
  • Any other tips/advice about the process from those who have gone through it?

Thanks so much in advance! Congrats and good luck to everyone else interviewing soon!
So I wore a suit (blazer and matching dress pants) with a nice top (it was sleeveless so I wouldn’t get too hot), and a nice pair of flats with the tiniest wedge heel (I can’t walk in heels to save my life. These were maaaaybe an inch but a thick wedge because I couldn’t find anything flat that looked nice and was COMFY). You want comfier shoes but ones that still look nice because you’re gonna be touring. You could bring a second pair of shoes to change into for the tour but then you have to lug a pair of shoes around and I didn’t want to do that.
I also brought a small padfolio because it looked nicer than a regular notebook but wasn’t too expensive and I wrote a couple questions I wanted to ask during my interviews (I didn’t have any MMIs which I’ve heard usually don’t have time for questions to keep it fair between applicants). I preferred to write my questions down because then I wouldn’t forget them and I also had a place to write their answers.

Do interviewers get annoyed if you talk for too long? I am really struggling with the "Tell us about yourself" type question because I wrote out my response and it's more than just 2-3 sentences. It would take a little over a minute to say but I don't know if interviewers are looking for you to be as succinct as possible or if they would prefer a slightly longer response to questions that are still eloquent and concise? (trust me I'm not rambling on in my responses like how I am here)

I would definitely check with the school though. WSU does ask for unofficial transcripts.

Sure, that's a given to bring whatever the schools explicitly tell you to bring in the interview invite. But to randomly bring things like your resume or transcripts is unnecessary.

What do people wear? I was planning on wearing a blazer/suit jacket, nice top under it, dress pants, and flats. Is this nice enough? Do people wear suits?(e.g., what to wear? I don't want to under or over dress.

I wore a blazer with matching dress pants, a basic but nice top, and heels (with snow boots to change into after). Your outfit sounds good. :)

Should we bring a padfolio, resumes, have notes prepped, etc.?

No problem bringing a padfolio or something to keep track of info. I wish I had as I had to write questions down on the envelope the school supplied. Resumes, no. They'll have your info if they're supposed to. As far as notes, are you talking things like truncated answers for interviewing questions? If so, then definitely not. If you're talking things like where to go to lunch, thank you notes for interviewers, etc., then go for it.

Anything else to bring/not to bring?

If spouse/family want to come, go for it! Positive attitude, of course. :)

Any other tips/advice about the process from those who have gone through it?

From the moment you step foot on campus for your interview, to the moment you step foot off, assume that you are "on". Treat everyone with respect, have fun, ask questions, etc. But it's competitive to get to this point, and being a jerk to a staff member or anything like that can be a mark against you.

From the moment you step foot on campus for your interview, to the moment you step foot off, assume that you are "on". Treat everyone with respect, have fun, ask questions, etc. But it's competitive to get to this point, and being a jerk to a staff member or anything like that can be a mark against you.
And you never know if that person you were rude to is someone who is very involved in making decisions or ends up being one of your interviewers later that day.

Where were you told that WSU asks for unofficial transcripts at interviews? I’ve scoured my interview invites and the information that WSU sent and I see absolutely nothing about being required to bring a copy of my transcript.

Where were you told that WSU asks for unofficial transcripts at interviews? I’ve scoured my interview invites and the information that WSU sent and I see absolutely nothing about being required to bring a copy of my transcript.
I would definitely contact the school and ask to get an official answer if your invite doesn't say to bring them.

How are you, or have you, answered the "tell me about yourself?" question? I've heard from some people that you should talk about yourself personally and others that say keep it professional. I'm nervous about this one and don't know which way to go with my answer. I definitely don't want to bomb my interview with one of my first answers!

How are you, or have you, answered the "tell me about yourself?" question? I've heard from some people that you should talk about yourself personally and others that say keep it professional. I'm nervous about this one and don't know which way to go with my answer. I definitely don't want to bomb my interview with one of my first answers!
Think of it as, "what do you want the admissions committee to know about you as a person" or "what makes you different from the next applicant with the same stats and experiences." Really an ice breaker question, but a question to humanize you. I think it's very flexible how you want to answer that. But so it's not super random, end with how that ties into your interest in animals/vet med?

After my first interview at penn where the interviewer was confused about my upbringing/immigration status, I realized that was something to address, so I generally talked about that and straightened out the record. In doing so, I also talked about having lived in a bunch of places, and ended with a blurb about having gotten involved with an amazing animal shelter in CA which introduced me to vet med. That seemed like a good Segway to whatever they wanted to ask me about my application/experiences.

Not sure if it was discussed above, but in a traditional interview, you have a lot of power in guiding how you want your interview to flow with how you answer your questions. Steer one question into the next one you WANT to answer. That's important to know. And most importantly show some passion in whatever you're talking about and own what you have to say about yourself. Don't answer sheepishly with a question mark at the end of each statement as if you're seeking approval from the interviewer.

Last edited:
Think of it as, "what do you want the admissions committee to know about you as a person" or "what makes you different from the next applicant with the same stats and experiences." Really an ice breaker question, but a question to humanize you. I think it's very flexible how you want to answer that. But so it's not super random, end with how that ties into your interest in animals/vet med?

After my first interview at penn where the interviewer was confused about my upbringing/immigration status, I realized that was something to address, so I generally talked about that and straightened out the record. In doing so, I also talked about having lived in a bunch of places, and ended with a blurb about having gotten involved with an amazing animal shelter in CA which introduced me to vet med. That seemed like a good segway to whatever they wanted to ask me about my application/experiences.

Not sure if it was discussed above, but in a traditional interview, you have a lot of power in guiding how you want your interview to flow with how you answer your questions. Steer one question into the next one you WANT to answer. That's important to know. And most importantly show some passion in whatever you're talking about and own what you have to say about yourself. Don't answer sheepishly with a question mark at the end of each statement as if you're seeking approval from the interviewer.

This is really helpful, thank you so much!

I was considering briefly stating where I graduated from with my degree/major and then for me, since I actually worked in human medicine first, briefly going over this, and then segwaying into my first volunteer experience with animals at a wildlife hospital which allowed me to switch into veterinary medicine.

I heard this approach was too much like what was in my application already but it sounds like you went a similar route.

I was considering briefly stating where I graduated from with my degree/major and then for me, since I actually worked in human medicine first, briefly going over this, and then segwaying into my first volunteer experience with animals at a wildlife hospital which allowed me to switch into veterinary medicine.

I heard this approach was too much like what was in my application already but it sounds like you went a similar route.
The only thing with this, imo, I'd stay away from your degree/major unless its unique in how that influenced your decision or if it ties in to being a first gen student. Particularly if it's an open file interview they already know that info and they dont care that 85% of the class got a bs in a science related field. They will want to know about why vet med over human since you've been in that realm as my brief sidetrack in pharmacy was one question that came up often.

I would personally leave out your college degree/major. And definitely don't rehash your application. From what you wrote, it sounds like you're trying to describe yourself as someone who was premed then became prevet with potentially a lot of unnecessary detail. I'm not sure that's necessarily a good way "to describe yourself." Is there anything you can start out with to talk about yourself as something other than your identity as a pre-health applicant? Because so is everyone else... be careful how you talk about it. You can absolutely talk about how you were initially interested in human health care, but I would carefully think about what exactly you want to say about it. Because half the time prevets who say they used to be in human health and they decided to switch because X, it results in a huge eye roll. It could be a very interesting thing to talk about, but you can also bomb it big time.

I don't think I talked about college or anything prevet related other than the ending blurb of "...and while I was spending my high school years in CA, I began volunteering in the vet services dept of a large shelter, which really inspired me and started me on this path." If they have your application in front of them or have read it ahead of time, they can ask specifics if they want to about any of your experiences. If they actually want you to summarize your experiences because it's a closed interview, they will. But if you bore your interviewer to tears with stories about your classes and thesis project and how you fed baby songbirds and squirrels, and they didn't want to hear it... you've blown it.

I need some advice. How do I get over a bad interview? I am so disappointed in myself, because I know I could have done better. My nerves got the better of me. :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I need some advice. How do I get over a bad interview? I am so disappointed in myself, because I know I could have done better. My nerves got the better of me. :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The only thing you can do: leave it in the past. I know easier said than done, but there is literally nothing you can do about it now. Focus on whatever is going on in your life outside of vet med. Keep on keeping on.

Reactions: 5 users
@shee-p
Sorry you feel awful about it that's never fun :(
But it's a part of life, you learn to overcome mistakes now and you may learn how to overcome mistakes you will make in practice (unfortunately it will happen to us all at least once). Live, learn, and love yourself that's my go to when I f*** up!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]