Could I get into a big 10 school? Or look elsewhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aussie204

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a bachelors in biochemistry from University of Wisconsin and am currently working on my MPH degree from University of Wisconsin as well.
3.4 cGPA (undergrad) - I know it's really low
currently a 4.0 in the MPH program (and my goal is to keep in a 4.0)
35 MCAT (only taken once - could take again)

Volunteer experience:
2 years in ER
very active with special olympics
currently mentor a little girl with down syndrome

Shadowing experience:
have shadowed an oncologist, reconstructive surgeon, and clinical geneticist

Research:
2 years in a medical physics/cancer research lab
(2 publications - 2nd author and 3rd author)

Extracurriculars/work experience:
6 months working as an analytical chemist (left after getting admitted to grad school)
Currently working part time as a pharm tech (I'm a certified pharm tech)
Athletic coach
2 years a D1 varsity athlete (had to quit do to missing too much class)
really involved with club athletics (president and captain for 2 years)
fundraising chair for MEDLIFE
medical mission trip to South America
I'm also an artist, selling several pieces and had a few pieces in art shows.

I really would like to go to either University of Wisconsin or Minnesota, Ohio State or another big 10 school, but do I stand a chance due to my really low undergrad GPA? I feel as though the rest of my application is strong, so I'm not sure how much my undergrad GPA will lower my chances. And if I don't have a shot at big 10 schools, what should I be looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a bachelors in biochemistry from University of Wisconsin and am currently working on my MPH degree from University of Wisconsin as well.

Volunteer experience:
2 years in ER

Shadowing experience:

Research:

6 months working as an analytical chemist (left after getting admitted to grad school)
Athletic coach

I really would like to go to either University of Wisconsin or Minnesota, Ohio State or another big 10 school, but do I stand a chance due to my really low undergrad GPA? I feel as though the rest of my application is strong, so I'm not sure how much my undergrad GPA will lower my chances. And if I don't have a shot at big 10 schools, what should I be looking at?
If you apply broadly to big ten schools and interview well, I don't see why you couldn't. You have excellent life experience and MCAT shows you have aptitude, very strong overall app. I say go for it

Most of the Big 10 schools are state schools, which means that they have a strong preference for in-state. There are two in the conference that do not- Ohio State and Penn State. Wisconsin's median GPA is 3.8, which is almost half a point higher than yours. The same can be said for Ohio State and Penn State. All three of these schools would be reaches for you, particularly Ohio State with their 35 average MCAT. With a 3.4, your app should be focused on DO schools with maybe 1-3 MD schools as reaches.

This isn't a very strong app. This applicant's GPA is not only below the average MD matriculant, it's .15 below the average MD applicant. You know the 60% of people that don't get accepted every year? You're worse than a substantial number of them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just as a heads up, Penn State Hershey is a good 90 minutes south of State College.

Most of the Big 10 schools are state schools, which means that they have a strong preference for in-state. There are two in the conference that do not- Ohio State and Penn State. Wisconsin's median GPA is 3.8, which is almost half a point higher than yours. The same can be said for Ohio State and Penn State. All three of these schools would be reaches for you, particularly Ohio State with their 35 average MCAT. With a 3.4, your app should be focused on DO schools with maybe 1-3 MD schools as reaches.

This isn't a very strong app. This applicant's GPA is not only below the average MD matriculant, it's .15 below the average MD applicant. You know the 60% of people that don't get accepted every year? You're worse than a substantial number of them.

..... No. OP, completely disregard what I bolded above. Would adding in some DO programs be a bad idea? Of course not. But OP's LizzyM is a 69. He is certainly competitive for MD programs.

Anyway, OP, I'm assuming you are interested in staying in the Midwest which is why you're interested in Big10 programs? There are plenty of other schools that you could have a chance at that are in the midwest/east coast region.

For example, off the top of my head: Rush, Rosalind Franklin, MCW, Creighton, VCU, GW, Georgetown, Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, Eastern Virginia, NYMC, The Commonwealth, and all the new MD programs.

I don't know if you can use a high MCAT to make up for a large-ish GPA deficit like that.

Do my graduate school grades not help my application at all? I was hoping medical schools would see that I have the capability to get higher grades since I got a little too caught up in the social aspect of college as an undergrad.

Obviously my GPA is worse than a substantial number of them, but I think it's a little harsh to say my entire application is worse than many of them.

I'm very doubtful. I d not know how these schools will view the MPH. In the experience at my school, an MPH is not equivalent to a SMP or similar post-bac.

MCW, SLU, Rosy F, Rush, Creighton, those are good shots for you. I can't recommend Penn State because their parent body protected a child molester for > 2o years. Also consider the new MD school in MI (Oakland and Western, but not Central)

You're also fine any DO school. Start with CCOM, DMU and MUCOM, then work outward.

A strong MCAT does not overcome a poor GPA for MD schools.

Don't you dare retake that excellent score, either!

Note: While OSU does accept a lot of OOSers, it's harder for them to land interviews, and outright accepts, than ISers.

Volunteer experience:
2 years in ER

Shadowing experience:

Research:

Athletic coach

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

I just randomly clicked on your thread and in no way am I qualified to say that you are or are not competitive for medical school.. I just wanted to share something with you that was more encouraging than discouraging. I'm applying this cycle with an MCAT score that is significantly lower than the average for matriculation. My GPA was fine but my MCAT was lethal. I somehow managed to get in. I think if you interview well, you have a great shot at many schools. Remember though I'm not really qualified to say that. I just wanted to share a story that might help you feel encouraged rather than discouraged :) Medical school is extremely competitive and the odds are always against us as applicants.. I know how discouraging and defeating this whole process can be but I'm glad I stuck it out because it ended up working out. Anyways, I hope this helps a little and good luck!

your GPA is a little low, but your MCAT is great and you have fantastic ECs. you should have a fair-to-good shot at MD if you apply broadly and strategically. apply to your state/regional schools and then target some lower-tier OOS private schools. throw in a couple DOs as well, you can take your pick on those. your MPH GPA won't matter but the MPH is a nice EC. under no circumstances should you retake that MCAT

Just apply broadly and talk about your experiences, you test well, and make sure your personal statements are solid. In state schools would be best for you but I feel like you have a decent shot at MD, but apply to DO too

Hi there,

I just randomly clicked on your thread and in no way am I qualified to say that you are or are not competitive for medical school.. I just wanted to share something with you that was more encouraging than discouraging. I'm applying this cycle with an MCAT score that is significantly lower than the average for matriculation. My GPA was fine but my MCAT was lethal. I somehow managed to get in. I think if you interview well, you have a great shot at many schools. Remember though I'm not really qualified to say that. I just wanted to share a story that might help you feel encouraged rather than discouraged :) Medical school is extremely competitive and the odds are always against us as applicants.. I know how discouraging and defeating this whole process can be but I'm glad I stuck it out because it ended up working out. Anyways, I hope this helps a little and good luck!
This isn't the same. Low GPA and low MCAT are not interchangeable deficiencies. Schools view the two very differently depending on where you're talking about.

This isn't the same. Low GPA and low MCAT are not interchangeable deficiencies. Schools view the two very differently depending on where you're talking about.

Of course its not the same and I never said they were interchangeable. Why are people so quick to attack those just trying to offer words of encouragement? Our situations are different but similar in that I too had low stats in an important area of my application.

I think you have a good shot at most mid-tier and likely your state schools, maybe not all the Big 10, but definitely most. I don't think you need to apply to DO if you don't want to. A 3.4 is not so terrible that your 35 MCAT can't overcome it. According to AAMC, the acceptance rate for people with stats like yours is somewhere between 60-70%. With an MPH on top of your application, you definitely stand a good shot.

I don't know if you can use a high MCAT to make up for a large-ish GPA deficit like that.
High MCAT can absolutely make up for a 3.4 GPA. Maybe not a 3.0, but a 3.4 is definitely good enough for many MDs if you have a 35.