Countdown to Match Day 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedyeddog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's see if we can embed that timer:

counter.gif

Made it more pleasing to match the forum colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for making the thread. Man, I am so ready for it to be over.

We have two weeks of classes that transition us to residency which ends with getting our envelopes... ready to get to the end of this tunnel and find out where I'm going.

jim-carrey-liar-liar-oh-come-on-angry-its-enough.gif

Reactions: 3 users
I'm in the same boat as tiedyedog, got a full 2 months left :(

Damn, you guys get done super early then. I have another 2 full months from tomorrow.

We still have 10 weeks of rotations after this, they just bring us all together these two weeks before we mentally check out after match. It's actually been somewhat useful since we're running scenarios simulations of scenarios where we may panic during intern year... I'll still panic when these scenarios really happen (like being the first one to get to a code), but at least I'm seeing it one more time before its for real.

I am so stressed out over this right now.

We still have 10 weeks of rotations after this, they just bring us all together these two weeks before we mentally check out after match. It's actually been somewhat useful since we're running scenarios simulations of scenarios where we may panic during intern year... I'll still panic when these scenarios really happen (like being the first one to get to a code), but at least I'm seeing it one more time before its for real.

That actually sounds like a good idea. Wish my school had that. Me? I haven't seen patients since October.

That actually sounds like a good idea. Wish my school had that. Me? I haven't seen patients since October.

Haven't seen a patient since mid-August, here, unless you count some shadowing rotations. And I get to do sub-I in May. Should be...interesting.

Reactions: 1 user
So do we open our envelopes at 1pm or noon on Friday the 20th? NRMP says 1pm, but some fellow students are saying noon?

So do we open our envelopes at 1pm or noon on Friday the 20th? NRMP says 1pm, but some fellow students are saying noon?

I think many (most?) Match Day events start around noon, and you may be able to open envelopes then if it's your school's policy. Results aren't available online until 1PM, though. So if you skip your school's ceremony, you can see it on your own an hour later.

I think many (most?) Match Day events start around noon, and you may be able to open envelopes then if it's your school's policy. Results aren't available online until 1PM, though. So if you skip your school's ceremony, you can see it on your own an hour later.

^^I think thats how it works too. Our school has the ceremony at noon and results are released online at 1pm.

It all depends which timezone you fall in. Our school ceremony starts at 11AM, and we get the email at noon.

Our school starts handing out letters at 11:15am, and we all open them together at noon Eastern time...so we get to find out an hour before the email, which is nice. I think it's kinda pointless if you haven't opened the letter by 1pm...then you could just look at your email. This happened to my cousin at Vandy med...by the time he got his letter and read it on stage, he already knew the result from his email.

Our school starts handing out letters at 11:15am, and we all open them together at noon Eastern time...so we get to find out an hour before the email, which is nice. I think it's kinda pointless if you haven't opened the letter by 1pm...then you could just look at your email. This happened to my cousin at Vandy med...by the time he got his letter and read it on stage, he already knew the result from his email.
Does anyone's school make them open the letter for the first time on stage? I don't think mine does, I sure hope it doesn't! Sounds like a horrible experience haha.

I am going to open that email with cool, calm confidence....and a delicious beer in hand...and a steak in front of me....

Beats going to the school match day: boring speeches and catered sandwiches.

I am going to open that email with cool, calm confidence....and a delicious beer in hand...and a steak in front of me....

Beats going to the school match day: boring speeches and catered sandwiches.
I had thought about something like that. I heard that at my place last year about half the people were super stoked, another bit was just meh, and there was a group of people literally crying. Would be kinda hard to fully enjoy yourself when the person next to you was that upset. But it's your only chance to go to such an event, so you sorta have to do it.

Reactions: 1 users
I had thought about something like that. I heard that at my place last year about half the people were super stoked, another bit was just meh, and there was a group of people literally crying. Would be kinda hard to fully enjoy yourself when the person next to you was that upset. But it's your only chance to go to such an event, so you sorta have to do it.

Yeah, I've been to match day events before for friends and it's always a mixed bag in terms of reactions. I don't know - maybe I just don't have enough schadenfreude or curiosity to enjoy watching my classmates. Personally, I'm much more concerned about *if* I match than where I match; and fortunately, I don't have to go - so I'm not. :) Alcohol + tasty food + time to process it with the SO in private >>> paying for parking + small talk + speeches + dry bread in my opinion.

Yeah, I've been to match day events before for friends and it's always a mixed bag in terms of reactions. I don't know - maybe I just don't have enough schadenfreude or curiosity to enjoy watching my classmates. Personally, I'm much more concerned about *if* I match than where I match; and fortunately, I don't have to go - so I'm not. :) Alcohol + tasty food + time to process it with the SO in private >>> paying for parking + small talk + speeches + dry bread in my opinion.
That prob is the best way to do it. Esp with an SO. Good luck to you!

Stage can actually be fun if your school does it right:

For instance: Everyone brings $5. If your name is called it goes in the pot. The last person to get their letter gets the whole pot.

My plan: rooftop at sunset (must not touch the computer till then), champagne in hand, with the hubby and kiddo...let's see where the next three years of our lives will be...

I'm probably going to drink some before heading to the ceremony. No reason why I can't have the ceremony and alcohol too. ;)

Yeah...

DOs schools are kind of lame for this reason. Our class essentially participated in all of the matches. We had about 5% in the military match, about 45% in the DO match, then 50% in the MD match.

If the ACGME residency fusion results in all programs falling under the NRMP DO programs will finally be able to have a match day worth organizing a party over.

But what if to ended second from last?!

That's the point....same reason you watch a nailbiter til the end. If its a 50/50 that you win $500 or give $5 the anticipation of the chance of losing/winning makes it fun.

Same reason you don't play paintball with cotton balls. Same reason flag football isn't as fun. Same reason dodgeball is fun. You might be victorious, but you may also get nailed hard and be sad. Ying/yang.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1231-1343743877-1.gif

Seriously... I'm not really worried about not matching. I just want to know where the hell we're going, since we're probably moving.

I'm trying to distract myself with vacation planning since we're going to Disney World a week after my graduation. It's helping but I'm still freaking out.

Thankfully, I only have about 2 weeks left. My school gives us 2 vacation blocks in 4th year. I used one for interviews and saved the other for our last block. After this is over I just have capstone stuff right before graduation.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-1231-1343743877-1.gif

Seriously... I'm not really worried about not matching. I just want to know where the hell we're going, since we're probably moving.

I'm trying to distract myself with vacation planning since we're going to Disney World a week after my graduation. It's helping but I'm still freaking out.

Thankfully, I only have about 2 weeks left. My school gives us 2 vacation blocks in 4th year. I used one for interviews and saved the other for our last block. After this is over I just have capstone stuff right before graduation.
Ya same here. Done in 2.5 weeks and just have to fly back for graduation. Very unlikely I'll even be in the same state and hoping to move as soon as possible after match day. Driving us crazy to not know where we will be living in 3 weeks.

I wish I was as confident as the two of you. I'm sweating bullets. Even if I match I'm moving out of state, but that's fine, my wife is supportive of a move, but the idea of not matching is haunting me right now.

I wish I was as confident as the two of you. I'm sweating bullets. Even if I match I'm moving out of state, but that's fine, my wife is supportive of a move, but the idea of not matching is haunting me right now.
I'm sweating it out, too. I interviewed at more than 17 places bit I still am more anxious about Monday than next Friday.

That's the point....same reason you watch a nailbiter til the end. If its a 50/50 that you win $500 or give $5 the anticipation of the chance of losing/winning makes it fun.

Same reason you don't play paintball with cotton balls. Same reason flag football isn't as fun. Same reason dodgeball is fun. You might be victorious, but you may also get nailed hard and be sad. Ying/yang.
Haha very interesting perspective

U guys just received another nrmp email right now??? Am so tired of these emails

Reminders for Match Week and SOAP

No need to panic then if u did around 10 IVs. Am a U.S. IMG and did 25 IVs and panicking and people think am crazy
Eh, I'm just paranoid I'll be one of the super unlucky ones who unluckily doesn't get matched. In my speciality even with my interviews and stats it's only an 88ish % match rate.

No need to panic then if u did around 10 IVs. Am a U.S. IMG and did 25 IVs and panicking and people think am crazy
I had 8 interviews. Still panicking even though I think the interviews went very well.

Stage can actually be fun if your school does it right:

For instance: Everyone brings $5. If your name is called it goes in the pot. The last person to get their letter gets the whole pot.

$5?! Woah.Nice for the winner. It's $1 here. (Still not going pay for information I could get for freeeeeee....Been gouged enough by AMCAS, ERAS and everyone else in this process.)

U guys just received another nrmp email right now??? Am so tired of these emails

Reminders for Match Week and SOAP

Yeah, I don't know why they send so many....if I didn't read the first one, I'm not going to read the subsequent ones.

$5?! Woah.Nice for the winner. It's $1 here. (Still not going pay for information I could get for freeeeeee....Been gouged enough by AMCAS, ERAS and everyone else in this process.)

Yeah, I don't know why they send so many....if I didn't read the first one, I'm not going to read the subsequent ones.

Yes that is stupid to send another email as they would be sending another one this Friday!

It's seriously messed up. We already got the last one and they said to send another one Friday 13th. This one made no sense

They're hoping that if they give a bunch of us MIs that there'll be enough positions for everyone who's left.

Lol exactly I get heart attack seeing each ema. What did U apply to? I did Neuro Psyc