couples match and interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drbetty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(s/p search of the forum)
i hope this is a fresh SDN question:

on ERAS, couples have the option to check the "couples match" box. i was offered my first interview on 9/2- far earlier than i expected myself or significant other to hear from most programs. since it is a program that we both are highly considering, i went ahead and scheduled the interview, though i plan on canceling the interview if he does not receive an interview. because we are likely to receive our offers discordantly, should we mention again that we are entering the match as a couple and that he is applying to [specialty & program name] when we schedule our interviews? if so, do programs contact respective programs for the applicant's other half before the interview, or is this taken into account after the interview and the applicant is considered highly by a program?

Members don't see this ad.

(s/p search of the forum)
i hope this is a fresh SDN question:

on ERAS, couples have the option to check the "couples match" box. i was offered my first interview on 9/2- far earlier than i expected myself or significant other to hear from most programs. since it is a program that we both are highly considering, i went ahead and scheduled the interview, though i plan on canceling the interview if he does not receive an interview. because we are likely to receive our offers discordantly, should we mention again that we are entering the match as a couple and that he is applying to [specialty & program name] when we schedule our interviews? if so, do programs contact respective programs for the applicant's other half before the interview, or is this taken into account after the interview and the applicant is considered highly by a program?

You didn't mention whether you had mentioned your couples match on ERAS. If so, then programs already know whom you are couples matching with. You do not need to answer this question, so there is no harm done if you didn't report your couples match.

From your post, it sounds like your partner is matching in a different specialty. In that case, usually each program decides whether to offer an interview independently. Some smaller programs might speak before and try to coordinate.

If you have an interview, ing nereal it would be completely resonable for your partner to contact their program and let them know. However, you received this interview very early, so I might just sit tight and see what happens. If this program would require distant / expensive travel, then you should definitely settle your partner's interview (or not) prior to purchasing plane tickets.

thanks, aPD, for the quick & helpful response! flights are certainly very expensive, and i hope my other half hears from his program director soon!

Last edited:
If you have an interview, ing nereal it would be completely resonable for your partner to contact their program and let them know. However, you received this interview very early, so I might just sit tight and see what happens.

Is it still too early, or is it okay to start contacting programs now? (I'm applying for Peds, and my partner is applying for Family Medicine if that makes any difference)

Is it still too early, or is it okay to start contacting programs now? (I'm applying for Peds, and my partner is applying for Family Medicine if that makes any difference)

I think it would be fine to contact them now. Simply report that your partner has a local interview scheduled, and you were wondering when you could expect a decision on your application.

with some arm twisting last week, i convinced my other half to call one medicine program, and the secretary said she'd leave a note on the PD's desk, but ...no news as of yet, although many others on SDN seem to have been offered interviews at this place for a while :(. i was offered an interview at the respective peds department a month ago & am waiting to make travel plans. i really wish we could be invited aroud the same time because we may be wasting lots of $ & time this season!

some programs explicitly state on their website that calls are discouraged, some program phone # go straight to voicemail. but my friends who are couples matching in FM/psych said that they were successful when they contacted programs. i think i will try to wait patiently until at least after the dean's list goes out so that program coordinators/directors don't get annoyed!

thanks for the replies!

I'm digging up this thread from last year because I have a similar question. I'm doing IM and my wife is doing EM. We declared couples match on ERAS, so programs know. I have gotten some interviews already, including some programs we are very interested in, but she hasn't heard anything yet.

I am planning on following aPD's advice in this thread and just sit tight until we learn more about her interviews, but I am wondering how long I can wait before they are going to think I'm just not answering their invitation. Should I contact the programs and let them know the situation so that they know I am planning to schedule my interview at a later date if my wife also receives an interview in the area? Also, at what date will it be an appropriate time for my wife to begin contacting EM programs to ask about interviews if she hasn't heard yet? Mid october or sometime around that? Thanks for the help!

I'm digging up this thread from last year because I have a similar question. I'm doing IM and my wife is doing EM. We declared couples match on ERAS, so programs know. I have gotten some interviews already, including some programs we are very interested in, but she hasn't heard anything yet.

I am planning on following aPD's advice in this thread and just sit tight until we learn more about her interviews, but I am wondering how long I can wait before they are going to think I'm just not answering their invitation. Should I contact the programs and let them know the situation so that they know I am planning to schedule my interview at a later date if my wife also receives an interview in the area? Also, at what date will it be an appropriate time for my wife to begin contacting EM programs to ask about interviews if she hasn't heard yet? Mid october or sometime around that? Thanks for the help!
I would recommend against not responding to the interview offer. Go ahead and accept it, pick a date, and tell them the situation...you don't know when the program will get back to her, and you don't want to wait too long to accept because it might appear that you're disinterested. My husband received an interview already, and though their program for the specialty to which I'm applying won't begin offering interviews for another 5 weeks, we went ahead and told them the situation. They were very nice about it, and at least I know I've done something about it (even if it's super early).

What's up Burns? I will have to second her opinion. My fiancee and I are indiscriminately accepting all interviews now and trying to do the best we can to cluster the dates together by cities. We will no doubt cancel several interviews or request to change the date on some (a risky situation because often the dates are fill'd up). All part of the game. We couples have a few extra hoops to jump through, but it just makes us stronger, right?

Another question for you couples matchers: What month(s) are you taking off? I have Dec off now and am debating whether I should open up my schedule for interviews in Nov or Jan. How many interviews do you think you can fit per month? Most places seem to only interview 2x weekly for IM and Monday seems to be a day shared by most places. Anyway, anyone decide to take Nov off instead of Jan? It seems more dates are open in Nov from what I've seen so far.

Yeah, that's what we're doing - Nov and Dec off to interview. I think you would probably be fine taking Jan off instead if it fits into your schedule better. Either way, it would probably help to have a fairly flexible elective or something in whichever month you don't take off so you can still travel to interview every now and then. At our school, you have the option of taking longitudinal electives (didactic or discussion-based classes that meet at night over a semester) that can free up another month in your schedule, so my fiancee and I are also taking the last month of the year off to get married! Maybe you can get an extra month off by doing this or taking a research elective or something.

I'm applying to anesthesia, and I'm taking off Nov/Dec with a research elective January. Might also want to check and see when your specialty does most of their interviewing; for instance, radiology seems like they're weighted more towards January.