Creighton

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJH0229

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back form Creighton yet and gotten an invite to interview??

Members don't see this ad.

No I haven't. I called today and the extremely kind receptionist told me to call tomorrow. Do you know what the preferred deadline means? My OTCAS was verified 9/4 and my Creighton supp app was submitted 10/19. I'm getting really anxious, as I check my status everyday.

Hi eedee. This makes me feel better about not hearing back. We both applied for the priority deadline which means that our apps will get priority and we will hear back sooner. I am really hoping to get the Dec 6th interview so hopefully they notify candidates soon so they can make travel arrangements!

Members don't see this ad :)
The lady I spoke to on the phone with said to just check out emails! Hopefully we hear back soon! *crosses fingers*

Has anyone heard back form Creighton yet and gotten an invite to interview??
Yep, I got my invite some time ago and I plan on going to the December 6th interview! Super Excited!!!!!!

I got my invitation today! The Dec. 6th interviews must have filled up, but I have one for Jan 24th! So excited!

Last edited:
Now I am super discouraged! :( I haven't gotten one yet.

Yep, I got my invite some time ago and I plan on going to the December 6th interview! Super Excited!!!!!!
What are your stats....GPA, Observation hours, and anything that made you stood out. I'm applying to Creighton University. I will have everything turn in by December 13!!!! Please any input please.......Thanks

What are your stats....GPA, Observation hours, and anything that made you stood out. I'm applying to Creighton University. I will have everything turn in by December 13!!!! Please any input please.......Thanks
Ummm gpa is about a 3.4 preq gpa is a 3.5
I had about 200+ observation/volunteer hours
I've been a student athlete all years in undergrad with numerous academic and athletic honors
I can articulate myself pretty well on an essay.

Wow how did your interview go??? What type of questions they ask?
I'm scared my stats are
Overall GPA 3.11
(66) of observation hours in four different settings
I have worked with children since 2003
I have worked with special needs children since 2010
I'm certified in CPR/First Aid
I volunteer at Harry Hynes Hospice.......I don't know if I have an chance. Is Creighton University your number one choice???????

The interview was great, Creighton is my number one choice by FAR, its more so a getting to know you type interview with a variety of questions, I don't think they stick tons one formula in regards to questions. Is it your number one? What is your prereq gpa?

Yes Creighton is my number one choice besides College of Saint Mary's
GPA for prereq
Anatomy and Physiology 1 Spring 2014.....Hoping to get an "A"
Anatomy and Physiology 2 Summer 2014 Hoping to get an "A"
Bioethics "B+"
English 1 and 2 Both "B"
General Psychology "B"
Sociology - Winter session hoping to get "A"
Development Psychology hoping to get "A"
Abnormal psychology "A"
Intro to moral Issues "B"
Comparative Religion "B"
Statistics "A"
Medical Terminology "B"

How did you feel after the interview? Do you think I have an chance. I speak to my admission counselor pretty frequently. Showing my interest in the program

Showing interest in the program I believe is very important, do some extensive research on the program and find something of the school that sparks a passion to go there, use that passion to your advantage in the interview when you are possibly asked why Creighton as opposed to other schools. You have a chance in my opinion because of your experience with working with individuals who need assistance in being able to adapt and function to everyday life which is a big part OT. It would be better if ya had more prereqs done but its not the end of the world. How do you feel about your situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know its seems like everyone throws up the GPA situation. Yeah I spoke to my admission counselor and he said don't worry too much about the GPA. I told him my situation. I would have two of the prereqs done by January 11, 2014. Keep me posted. I wish I had an overall GPA but I don't. Thanks for talking with me.

No problem, yea some schools are gpa based meaning you won't even be considered if you don't have at least a 3.6 both overall and prereq, that's what they won't tell you,but some are not like that.

I have an interview at Creighton on Jan 24th! :) I wonder how many applicants get invited to interview. I am super excited and hope to get accepted there!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on getting an interview MJH0229! I have an interview there on the same date, however I don't know if I'll end up attending because I got accepted somewhere else. The only thing is my flight and hotel are non-refundable so I don't know if I should still go to see the school, or if I should just lose the $400 I spent . Any advice?

Ouch that stinks that the flight and hotel are non refundable. Can you transfer that flight for a different location maybe? Maybe you could take a long weekend to chicago or florida or something. Where did you get accepted? Are you for sure going there? Congrats on being accepted! I am really hoping I get accepted to Creighton! Fortunately for me, for the interview, I am driving there so not as expensive as a flight and I am staying with my friend that lives down there.

Yeah, I called Expedia (ugh never again using!) and they said there is nothing they could do about the hotel. And with the flight, I'd get $205 Expedia credit back, but United Airlines charges a $200 rebooking fee if I did end up using the credit, so in actuality I'd be left with only $5 back ..

And thanks! I got accepted to Midwestern IL, which is really close to where I live. I am pretty set on attending Midwestern.

Just received my acceptance letter into :clap:CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY:clap: here are my stats:
University of North Texas
Major: Kinesiology
Overall: 3.38
Pre-req: 3.45-3.69 (Depending on the school applied to)
GRE: None
Volunteer- 217 hrs total for OT split between inpatient, outpatient, and geriatrics.
Extra-Curricular- Scholarship student athlete with multiple academic and athletic awards, volunteer for local intermediate school and seasonal volunteer for local 5th grade track meet.
Applied: Creighton University, Texas Tech University, UTMB, A.T. Still University
Interviews: Creighton University, A.T. Still University
Rejections: A.T. Still University, Texas Tech, UTMB
Acceptances: :soexcited:CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY:soexcited:(My number one choice by the way!!! I thought I would get rejected by Creighton and accepted into one of the other schools.......... but I was hoping to get in Creighton from day one and now I have!!! THANK GOD!!)

For those of you with a lower GPA like mine DON'T LOSE HOPE!!!! I will admit my stats are not that competitive for most schools because OT is becoming an extremely competitive field and from what I have heard several schools have it to where 3.5+ overall gpa and 3.6+ gpa for prereqs is standard. but there is still rays of hope for the little people with an intimate passion to become an OT. Get involved in your community, expand your exposure to OT and its many work settings, practice and develop efficient people skills that you plan on expressing at the interviews for OT schools, and most importantly PRAY and TRUST IN THE LORD!

Has Anyone else heard from them yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Just received my acceptance letter into :clap:CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY:clap: here are my stats:
University of North Texas
Major: Kinesiology
Overall: 3.38
Pre-req: 3.45-3.69 (Depending on the school applied to)
GRE: None
Volunteer- 217 hrs total for OT split between inpatient, outpatient, and geriatrics.
Extra-Curricular- Scholarship student athlete with multiple academic and athletic awards, volunteer for local intermediate school and seasonal volunteer for local 5th grade track meet.
Applied: Creighton University, Texas Tech University, UTMB, A.T. Still University
Interviews: Creighton University, A.T. Still University
Rejections: A.T. Still University, Texas Tech, UTMB
Acceptances: :soexcited:CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY:soexcited:(My number one choice by the way!!! I thought I would get rejected by Creighton and accepted into one of the other schools.......... but I was hoping to get in Creighton from day one and now I have!!! THANK GOD!!)

For those of you with a lower GPA like mine DON'T LOSE HOPE!!!! I will admit my stats are not that competitive for most schools because OT is becoming an extremely competitive field and from what I have heard several schools have it to where 3.5+ overall gpa and 3.6+ gpa for prereqs is standard. but there is still rays of hope for the little people with an intimate passion to become an OT. Get involved in your community, expand your exposure to OT and its many work settings, practice and develop efficient people skills that you plan on expressing at the interviews for OT schools, and most importantly PRAY and TRUST IN THE LORD!

Has Anyone else heard from them yet?
I received my acceptance letter as well!!!!! God is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo GOOD! We were at the same interview together! I see you are from Texas! I think I remember you because there was only 3 of us from Texas!

I received my acceptance letter as well!!!!! God is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo GOOD! We were at the same interview together! I see you are from Texas! I think I remember you because there was only 3 of us from Texas!

Yes God is AMAZING, and yea there was only 3 of us from Texas, I am glad to be leaving though, I need a change in scenery for a while lol. Is Creighton where you plan on going or are you waiting for other schools and what not?

Yes God is AMAZING, and yea there was only 3 of us from Texas, I am glad to be leaving though, I need a change in scenery for a while lol. Is Creighton where you plan on going or are you waiting for other schools and what not?
Yes Creighton is my first choice! :) Omaha should be interesting lol I am excited!

Yes Creighton is my first choice! :) Omaha should be interesting lol I am excited!
Me too!!! I am just glad this whole application process is over!!! It was stressful indeed............

Congrats guys on getting in!! I have an interview Jan 24th and am really hoping I get accepted! I also have a lower GPA but am holding onto hope. How many people were at the interview with you guys? 30-40 people? Or less? Also did you get an acceptance letter, email or phone call?

I think 33 people to be exact was in our interview on the 6th of December, I got a packet in the mail with my acceptance letter in it because there is some vital information in it for accepted students that are better distributed through the mail. Is Creighton your first interview?

Congrats guys on getting in!! I have an interview Jan 24th and am really hoping I get accepted! I also have a lower GPA but am holding onto hope. How many people were at the interview with you guys? 30-40 people? Or less? Also did you get an acceptance letter, email or phone call?
I also got a packet in the mail. As for your GPA do not stress to much about it. Creighton in my opinion wants you to show GREAT interest in their school and their mission. I think if you have a great amount of hours in service work and show a true passion for the field of Occupational Therapy...then all is well.

I also got a packet in the mail. As for your GPA do not stress to much about it. Creighton in my opinion wants you to show GREAT interest in their school and their mission. I think if you have a great amount of hours in service work and show a true passion for the field of Occupational Therapy...then all is well.
I agree with this 100% which is why I think Creighton is so awesome, they are concerned with getting well rounded individuals with a passion!!!! Oh by the way what part of Texas are you from Gabriella?

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys! I am very passionate about OT and know this is what I want to do. I have worked as an OT rehab assistant for almost two years now. I will keep you updated! I'm from Minnesota so looking forward to possibly moving down to slightly warmer weather! Haha!

Awesome! Thanks for the info guys! I am very passionate about OT and know this is what I want to do. I have worked as an OT rehab assistant for almost two years now. I will keep you updated! I'm from Minnesota so looking forward to possibly moving down to slightly warmer weather! Haha!
Oh great!! I wish you all the best on your interview day!!! Do keep us updated! @mgeagle I am from Dallas. What part are you from?

Congrats!!!!!!! I went to University of North Texas back in 2008 to 2009!! I finished my otcas application and supplement application for Creighton University.....
Otcas verified my cumulative grade point average as a 2.77. Which just killed me. I still have to take four classes. I'm taking two classes as we speak. My prerequisities gpa is pretty good so far!!! I was wondering how long does it take to hear from Creighton??? Is there any advice. I believe I have a chance because I've been working with children since 2003. I have worked with children who have special needs also. I don't know. If I don't get into Occupational therapy school I will be crushed. I'm also applying to Abilene Christian University which is in Abilene Texas.

Congrats!!!!!!! I went to University of North Texas back in 2008 to 2009!! I finished my otcas application and supplement application for Creighton University.....
Otcas verified my cumulative grade point average as a 2.77. Which just killed me. I still have to take four classes. I'm taking two classes as we speak. My prerequisities gpa is pretty good so far!!! I was wondering how long does it take to hear from Creighton??? Is there any advice. I believe I have a chance because I've been working with children since 2003. I have worked with children who have special needs also. I don't know. If I don't get into Occupational therapy school I will be crushed. I'm also applying to Abilene Christian University which is in Abilene Texas.
That is so awesome that you have worked with kids with special needs and you went to UNT!! I hope they accept you off of that lolol. It took about 3 weeks. I do have a little advice but can I ask you a few questions? What prereqs have you taken? What was your major? Have done any shadowing or volunteering under an OT?

Thanks for replying back.
Bachelors: Health Services Management and Community Development.
School: Wichita State University/ GPA from WSU is 3.11 but otcas gpa 2.77
I'm taking Sociology and Development psychology right now for winter session. I should be done with these classes next Saturday!
I'm taking abnormal psychology and I'm taking anatomy and physiology 1 for spring 2014. Then in the summer I'm taking anatomy and physiology 2. I've completed 66 hours of observation hours. I've been in contact with my admissions counselor he told me don't worry too much about the gpa. I'm just concern about not getting in. I've worked with children with special needs for 2 years. I've worked with children since 2003. So how do they contact you regarding an interview?? I'm just worried. Also I applied to Abilene Christian University but their program is new. 2014 will be their first year having the occupational therapy program. I don't know if a lot people heard of ABU having a occupational therapy program but they don't use otcas. I'm also taking kinesiology this spring. I have 4 letters of recommendation letter which one is form an occupational therapist. I will take any advice. I have strong personal statement.

Hello I was wondering what is your stats??? I applied to Creighton University on the 14 of December. So when did you apply??? Someone said 3 weeks.........so I probably wont know anything until the end of January....My gpa is not that great but its not bad...I was just wondering............Nebraska is not too far form...so Creighton University is my first choice.

That is so awesome that you have worked with kids with special needs and you went to UNT!! I hope they accept you off of that lolol. It took about 3 weeks. I do have a little advice but can I ask you a few questions? What prereqs have you taken? What was your major? Have done any shadowing or volunteering under an OT?

Yes I've replied...its below---I went to Wichita State University...Sorry it so long.

Yes I've replied...its below---I went to Wichita State University...Sorry it so long.
Lol no problem for the length, I wanted it to be so so I had a good idea of where you are at. As far as contacting you for an interview it will most likely be email seeing as that was the method in which I was contacted for an interview. With your GPA I would save the money and stay AWAY from applying to Texas schools, even Abilene Christian, Texas schools are EXTREMELY competitive because everyone wants to live there!! (I personally don't but everyone's different.....) and I am sure that the hundreds of people with 3.o or higher gpa who got rejected by all the other Texas schools will flock at the the chance to apply to a lesser known program like Abilene Christian just so they can stay in Texas. It would be nice if you had a few more prereqs already done, (like your anatomy classes because they are difficult and many times people end up retaking them) cause it puts the committees at ease when they see someone with a strong prereq gpa and have them all done or only lack one or two. However your experience with people of special needs is a HUGE PLUS!! If you get an interview talk that experience UP!!! Also its wise if in the interview you show that you have a desire to advance the profession and bring innovation to the practice of OT rather than being your everyday run of the mill therapist who sees things in a compartmentalized way rather than the big picture which is unfortunately something I have observed by a therapist. Before I ramble on, may I ask, are there any other schools you are considering outside of Creighton and ACU?

Lol no problem for the length, I wanted it to be so so I had a good idea of where you are at. As far as contacting you for an interview it will most likely be email seeing as that was the method in which I was contacted for an interview. With your GPA I would save the money and stay AWAY from applying to Texas schools, even Abilene Christian, Texas schools are EXTREMELY competitive because everyone wants to live there!! (I personally don't but everyone's different.....) and I am sure that the hundreds of people with 3.o or higher gpa who got rejected by all the other Texas schools will flock at the the chance to apply to a lesser known program like Abilene Christian just so they can stay in Texas. It would be nice if you had a few more prereqs already done, (like your anatomy classes because they are difficult and many times people end up retaking them) cause it puts the committees at ease when they see someone with a strong prereq gpa and have them all done or only lack one or two. However your experience with people of special needs is a HUGE PLUS!! If you get an interview talk that experience UP!!! Also its wise if in the interview you show that you have a desire to advance the profession and bring innovation to the practice of OT rather than being your everyday run of the mill therapist who sees things in a compartmentalized way rather than the big picture which is unfortunately something I have observed by a therapist. Before I ramble on, may I ask, are there any other schools you are considering outside of Creighton and ACU?
I've applied to College of St. Mary's and I'm looking into Cox College....I was going to apply to some other schools but I don't know. I wish could have all my prereqs done. I only have to finish 3 prereqs. I know there is an anatomy class that is 8weeks for a&p 1 and a&p 2. Now I'm extremely scared now that you said I've should of have more of my prereqs done. I don't know what to do now. Do you think I have a chance still?

I've applied to College of St. Mary's and I'm looking into Cox College....I was going to apply to some other schools but I don't know. I wish could have all my prereqs done. I only have to finish 3 prereqs. I know there is an anatomy class that is 8weeks for a&p 1 and a&p 2. Now I'm extremely scared now that you said I've should of have more of my prereqs done. I don't know what to do now. Do you think I have a chance still?
I have heard of situations where it seemed improbable for the person, but they got in because they nailed the interview so I am not gonna say you don't have a chance cause you still do. I would say apply to as many schools as possible, I applied to 4 and only got accepted into one so it is competitive (but two of those were Texas schools that honestly I had no business in applying to anyways.) Your biggest issue would be getting the interview, if you gotta right an essay for the interview make it GRAND!!! I can't stress this enough your current academic situation doesn't show you as a stand out candidate. Neither did mine!! However if you right an essay that stands out they will be intrigued to meet the real you!! If the essay is average than it won't happen, I am good with essays and would be glad to read and edit any essays that you write for school applications. Any other schools you think you might apply to?

I've had someone proofread my personal statement and other items I sent. I had to pay a lot of money to get them done. This person has an PHD and her major was creative writing and she is an English professor. I'm just so scared now. I'm looking into Brenau university. I don't know now. I'm putting my trust in the lord. I didn't take the GRE. Maybe I should apply to OTA program as an back up plan .

I have heard of situations where it seemed improbable for the person, but they got in because they nailed the interview so I am not gonna say you don't have a chance cause you still do. I would say apply to as many schools as possible, I applied to 4 and only got accepted into one so it is competitive (but two of those were Texas schools that honestly I had no business in applying to anyways.) Your biggest issue would be getting the interview, if you gotta right an essay for the interview make it GRAND!!! I can't stress this enough your current academic situation doesn't show you as a stand out candidate. Neither did mine!! However if you right an essay that stands out they will be intrigued to meet the real you!! If the essay is average than it won't happen, I am good with essays and would be glad to read and edit any essays that you write for school applications. Any other schools you think you might apply to?

Cox College which they just got accredited..........Brenau University.....which schools did you apply to in Texas?

Cox College which they just got accredited..........Brenau University.....which schools did you apply to in Texas?
Texas Tech and UTMB, Brenau's average gpa last year was a 3.47 and its expected to be higher so getting in there would be a stretch especially since they use OTCAS which is makes applying so much simpler which means they will get a lot more applicants than schools that don't use OTCAS. Did you finish your OTCAS essay already?

Texas Tech and UTMB, Brenau's average gpa last year was a 3.47 and its expected to be higher so getting in there would be a stretch especially since they use OTCAS which is makes applying so much simpler which means they will get a lot more applicants than schools that don't use OTCAS. Did you finish your OTCAS essay already?
Yes I finish my otcas essay already would you like me to send it to you ? I've already applied to Creighton around December 12,2013. So I don't know maybe third week in January I may hear something. I've been accepted to College of Saint Mary's which is in Nebraska also. I've been accepted as pre-occupational therapy but I have to get A's in the classes that i'm taking right now. So I'm accepted into the school but not accepted into the occupational therapy program fully. College of Saint Mary's standards are different. They have bachelors and masters combined. So I don't know what else to do if I don't get in . I guess I wont apply to Brenau university.

Ok do you think you will be able to get A's in those classes? You can send me your essay if you like, I am a little confused with Saint Mary forgive me for not fully understanding, so you have to get A's in the prereqs you have left and plan to take? How long would this combined program be? Are there any downsides to the program or what not? It seems to me since you are already accepted in a program there that you don't have too much to worry about in terms of becoming an OT ( I might be wrong please clarify) Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to learn in case I might be able to help someone in the future who wants to go OT.

Ok do you think you will be able to get A's in those classes? You can send me your essay if you like, I am a little confused with Saint Mary forgive me for not fully understanding, so you have to get A's in the prereqs you have left and plan to take? How long would this combined program be? Are there any downsides to the program or what not? It seems to me since you are already accepted in a program there that you don't have too much to worry about in terms of becoming an OT ( I might be wrong please clarify) Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to learn in case I might be able to help someone in the future who wants to go OT.

Well my admission counselor told me to take a couple of classes and then we go on for there. I received an acceptance letter saying "I was accepted as pre-occupational therapy" The program is 5 years because they combine undergraduate with graduate. The admission counselor told me even though I have an Bachelors already it will take 5 years. That's the downside of it however she said I was accepted as pre-occupational therapy that they can't promise me an spot in the program. I guess my gpa was borderline. I told her my cumulative gpa is 3.11 from Wichita State University but she said the College of Saint Mary's have their on standards so yep.....bummer. So I'm taking two classes right now. I'm taking Anatomy 1 and 2 which I changed my schedule today. I'm taking those online because I don't have a choice so I was taking Anatomy 1 in the spring then Anatomy 2 and Summer but I changed it.
I don't if I'm confusing I'm sorry in advance. I appreciate your time!!!

Here is my personal statement::

Occupational Therapy is the career for me--I have known this a long time. I write today to request a spot in your Occupational Therapy Program. My personal and professional background, together with my educational training--and your help--will allow me to achieve my career goals.

I have worked with the public since I was fourteen years of age. I've learned to deal with frustrated and angry people who are upset all the time. I already know that occupational therapists work with clients who have bad days--I can handle this. I've worked with children since 2003, so I have a lot of patience. Furthermore, I genuinely care about others, and I thrive on helping others accomplish their goals. I know that occupational therapy is a rewarding career; I would like to go home each night knowing I made a difference in someone's life.

I've believe being creative is a good trait to have. Creativity isn't something that can be taught, it must be within you. Working with children has helped me be more creative as we continually need to come up with creative ideas and activities. But, in order to be an occupational therapist, there are other traits one must imbibe as well. I believe I have good communications skills. And, by shadowing occupational therapists, I've learned to truly listen. Working in the medical field in any capacity, you must be able to listen to the patient's needs.

I started working with children in 2003, and I really enjoy working with children--I learn from them, and they from me. I began my career at the Child Development Center (CDC) on McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kansas. The CDC is where soldiers and civilians take their children for childcare while they work.

I was working in their infant classroom. There was a child who had special needs. At that time, the child was nine months old, but not yet crawling or sitting up. An occupational therapist came in once a week to help the child with their fine motor skills. At that time, I had never heard of occupational therapy, but the accomplishments over time that the therapist made with this child were awe-inspiring. It made me want to know more about the profession, so I did some research on it.

Today, I have over ten years' experience working with children, and there's a specific child and my working relationship with her that demonstrates many of the qualities needed for a career in occupational therapy. This child came to us at the age of 2 years old and not walking or communicating. I work with the child on her cognitive skills, fine motor skills, and communication skills. Through required lesson plans, I implement activities to target each child. For this child, specifically, I posted sign language posters at the child's level all around the classroom. During meal times, I sign with the child and assist the child with her cup. We serve hand over hand during meal times even though the children are twelve months to twenty-four months. After breakfast every day, I bring out the toothbrushes and toothpaste, and the children brush their teeth. I walk with the child, too.

I am happy to report the child now is taking steps by herself using her eating utensils during mealtimes! The child now uses a sippy cup without a lid. And, she is speaking too! The child is saying her siblings' names. Her improvements are tremendous.

To further my knowledge, I have sought opportunity to gain experience in the field by observing occupational therapists in a pediatric setting and in a long-term care therapy facility. This has given me the opportunity to see the enormous impact that is made with varying clients. It has truly enlightened me. I learned a lot of valuable information while observing the occupational therapists.

I did my observation hours in three different settings. Two of the settings were with the elderly in both inpatient and outpatient situations. I saw patients who had broken their femur, their hip, and their foot. In each case, the occupational therapist would write a progress report on the patient. All of the therapists informed us that it is best to be detailed when writing progress reports. The third observation was in a pediatric setting, in which I observed children who were Autistic, had cognitive delays, and fine motor delays. Through these observations, I've learned that the same technique does not work with every patient.

I firmly believe my educational background, with emphasis in Biology and Psychology, has helped me to gain an understanding of people, both physically and on a more psychological level. I enjoy learning how people interact with one another individually and in the wider society. A degree in occupational therapy would greatly support my professional goals as I have always wanted to continue my education and obtain my Master's degree.

Upon obtaining my license, I would like to work in either a clinical elderly or pediatric setting to gain my hands-on experience. My long-term goal is to enter a post professional program to obtain a Doctorate degree with a concentration in pediatric or elderly occupational therapy.

After obtaining my doctorate degree, my future goal is to open up my own facility. I believe my past experiences have helped me strengthen and develop skills that will help me achieve my goals as an occupational therapist. I am in this for the long term.

With your help, together with my background, I am well suited to reach these goals of mine. I am a hard worker, personable, and dedicated, and I am an excellent candidate for your program. I very much appreciate your consideration.

Thank you.

Well my admission counselor told me to take a couple of classes and then we go on for there. I received an acceptance letter saying "I was accepted as pre-occupational therapy" The program is 5 years because they combine undergraduate with graduate. The admission counselor told me even though I have an Bachelors already it will take 5 years. That's the downside of it however she said I was accepted as pre-occupational therapy that they can't promise me an spot in the program. I guess my gpa was borderline. I told her my cumulative gpa is 3.11 from Wichita State University but she said the College of Saint Mary's have their on standards so yep.....bummer. So I'm taking two classes right now. I'm taking Anatomy 1 and 2 which I changed my schedule today. I'm taking those online because I don't have a choice so I was taking Anatomy 1 in the spring then Anatomy 2 and Summer but I changed it.
I don't if I'm confusing I'm sorry in advance. I appreciate your time!!!

Here is my personal statement::

Occupational Therapy is the career for me--I have known this a long time. I write today to request a spot in your Occupational Therapy Program. My personal and professional background, together with my educational training--and your help--will allow me to achieve my career goals.

I have worked with the public since I was fourteen years of age. I've learned to deal with frustrated and angry people who are upset all the time. I already know that occupational therapists work with clients who have bad days--I can handle this. I've worked with children since 2003, so I have a lot of patience. Furthermore, I genuinely care about others, and I thrive on helping others accomplish their goals. I know that occupational therapy is a rewarding career; I would like to go home each night knowing I made a difference in someone's life.

I've believe being creative is a good trait to have. Creativity isn't something that can be taught, it must be within you. Working with children has helped me be more creative as we continually need to come up with creative ideas and activities. But, in order to be an occupational therapist, there are other traits one must imbibe as well. I believe I have good communications skills. And, by shadowing occupational therapists, I've learned to truly listen. Working in the medical field in any capacity, you must be able to listen to the patient's needs.

I started working with children in 2003, and I really enjoy working with children--I learn from them, and they from me. I began my career at the Child Development Center (CDC) on McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kansas. The CDC is where soldiers and civilians take their children for childcare while they work.

I was working in their infant classroom. There was a child who had special needs. At that time, the child was nine months old, but not yet crawling or sitting up. An occupational therapist came in once a week to help the child with their fine motor skills. At that time, I had never heard of occupational therapy, but the accomplishments over time that the therapist made with this child were awe-inspiring. It made me want to know more about the profession, so I did some research on it.

Today, I have over ten years' experience working with children, and there's a specific child and my working relationship with her that demonstrates many of the qualities needed for a career in occupational therapy. This child came to us at the age of 2 years old and not walking or communicating. I work with the child on her cognitive skills, fine motor skills, and communication skills. Through required lesson plans, I implement activities to target each child. For this child, specifically, I posted sign language posters at the child's level all around the classroom. During meal times, I sign with the child and assist the child with her cup. We serve hand over hand during meal times even though the children are twelve months to twenty-four months. After breakfast every day, I bring out the toothbrushes and toothpaste, and the children brush their teeth. I walk with the child, too.

I am happy to report the child now is taking steps by herself using her eating utensils during mealtimes! The child now uses a sippy cup without a lid. And, she is speaking too! The child is saying her siblings' names. Her improvements are tremendous.

To further my knowledge, I have sought opportunity to gain experience in the field by observing occupational therapists in a pediatric setting and in a long-term care therapy facility. This has given me the opportunity to see the enormous impact that is made with varying clients. It has truly enlightened me. I learned a lot of valuable information while observing the occupational therapists.

I did my observation hours in three different settings. Two of the settings were with the elderly in both inpatient and outpatient situations. I saw patients who had broken their femur, their hip, and their foot. In each case, the occupational therapist would write a progress report on the patient. All of the therapists informed us that it is best to be detailed when writing progress reports. The third observation was in a pediatric setting, in which I observed children who were Autistic, had cognitive delays, and fine motor delays. Through these observations, I've learned that the same technique does not work with every patient.

I firmly believe my educational background, with emphasis in Biology and Psychology, has helped me to gain an understanding of people, both physically and on a more psychological level. I enjoy learning how people interact with one another individually and in the wider society. A degree in occupational therapy would greatly support my professional goals as I have always wanted to continue my education and obtain my Master's degree.

Upon obtaining my license, I would like to work in either a clinical elderly or pediatric setting to gain my hands-on experience. My long-term goal is to enter a post professional program to obtain a Doctorate degree with a concentration in pediatric or elderly occupational therapy.

After obtaining my doctorate degree, my future goal is to open up my own facility. I believe my past experiences have helped me strengthen and develop skills that will help me achieve my goals as an occupational therapist. I am in this for the long term.

With your help, together with my background, I am well suited to reach these goals of mine. I am a hard worker, personable, and dedicated, and I am an excellent candidate for your program. I very much appreciate your consideration.

Thank you.
Happy New Year!!!!!! Sorry for the late response, thank you for clarification with the Saint Mary situation, your essay was pretty good, The introduction could of been stronger as it felt very generic but the middle part showed some originality that can hopefully standout to someone in a committee, you were very clear in stating what you want out of an OT education and how you plan on using it which is very important because it puts the committees at ease when they are dealing with someone who has a plan. Be sure to proofread your writing again and again. I ran into a few grammatical errors that didn't bother me but may bother a committee and they may take it as you do not take your time in working out the details which is a trait good health professionals have. In personal essays and statements avoid using "I believe" or "In my opinion", its a waste, the reader knows that that is what you believe because they know that you wrote it. Notice in this whole message to you I am not using "I believe" or "In my opinion" because I know you already know that this is what I believe or else I would not of written it to you, I understand that the intention of using "I believe" or "In my opinion" is to ease people into seeing your point of view and not come off as a prideful know-it-all but its a waste, be confident in what ya say and hopefully the reader will respect it. Let me ask, how confident do you feel about getting in or getting an interview and why? What back-up plans have you considered if you don't get in this year?

How confident do I feel about getting in or getting an interview. I have a fair chance of getting an interview. I work with a child who is special needs and she has come a long way. I have and the other teachers in the classroom has worked so much with her. My gpa does not reflect my work ethnic. I have four letter of recommendations. Three from supervisors and one from an Occupational Therapist. I have 63 hours of observation hours form 4 different settings. My last 60 hours was a 3.11. Does Creighton University go off of otcas gpa or do they look at the official transcripts??? So I will have one of my Anatomy class done in March since I changed my schedule two days ago. My backup plans are getting into an ota program I guess. What do you think about all I just said. I'm just scared......One of my friends was put on the waiting list for the Physical Therapy program and her Gpa is better than mine. Her gpa is 3.5. I don't know. So you think I will hear something by the middle of January or first of February??? I turned everything in on by 12. My otcas was verified before Christmas. My supplement application was done by 12 December.

Happy New Year!!!!!! Sorry for the late response, thank you for clarification with the Saint Mary situation, your essay was pretty good, The introduction could of been stronger as it felt very generic but the middle part showed some originality that can hopefully standout to someone in a committee, you were very clear in stating what you want out of an OT education and how you plan on using it which is very important because it puts the committees at ease when they are dealing with someone who has a plan. Be sure to proofread your writing again and again. I ran into a few grammatical errors that didn't bother me but may bother a committee and they may take it as you do not take your time in working out the details which is a trait good health professionals have. In personal essays and statements avoid using "I believe" or "In my opinion", its a waste, the reader knows that that is what you believe because they know that you wrote it. Notice in this whole message to you I am not using "I believe" or "In my opinion" because I know you already know that this is what I believe or else I would not of written it to you, I understand that the intention of using "I believe" or "In my opinion" is to ease people into seeing your point of view and not come off as a prideful know-it-all but its a waste, be confident in what ya say and hopefully the reader will respect it. Let me ask, how confident do you feel about getting in or getting an interview and why? What back-up plans have you considered if you don't get in this year?

How confident do I feel about getting in or getting an interview. I have a fair chance of getting an interview. I work with a child who is special needs and she has come a long way. I have and the other teachers in the classroom has worked so much with her. My gpa does not reflect my work ethnic. I have four letter of recommendations. Three from supervisors and one from an Occupational Therapist. I have 63 hours of observation hours form 4 different settings. My last 60 hours was a 3.11. Does Creighton University go off of otcas gpa or do they look at the official transcripts??? So I will have one of my Anatomy class done in March since I changed my schedule two days ago. My backup plans are getting into an ota program I guess. What do you think about all I just said. I'm just scared......One of my friends was put on the waiting list for the Physical Therapy program and her Gpa is better than mine. Her gpa is 3.5. I don't know. So you think I will hear something by the middle of January or first of February??? I turned everything in on by 12. My otcas was verified before Christmas. My supplement application was done by 12 December.

I am not 100% about the transcript thing but I am pretty sure it is both. Continue on to read this entire post as it will be a message I left for someone who is in a similar boat as you in terms of wanting to be in the OT field but not sure if they will get accepted into OT school and what not and let me know if it helps and what ya think:"I would implore you to have a solid back up plan if you do not get accepted into a school. OT school is very competitive (I am sure people are tired of hearing this cliche fact lolol) but the biggest obstacle for applicants is that there really is no clear cut formula into getting in and there is a significant level of subjectivity involved in being admitted into a program. There was a program I thought I would get accepted into and sure enough I got turned down while the program I thought I was a LONG SHOT in and had little chance ended up being the place I got into and where I plan on going. I have heard stories of people with high gpas 3.7+ who got rejected by programs for whatever reason. Some may disagree but seriously look into the COTA route if it does not work out. This was my back up plan because I wanted to be in the realm of the occupational therapy world while being into a position to advance when ready and still be getting paid. This a rare treat in the professional world that people underestimate. Hypothetically speaking, say you were applying to a graduate/professional psychology program to be psychologist because that field is the field you are drawn, if you don't get accepted that's it....... No such thing as 2 year schooling to become a certified psychology assistant so back to the drawing board of reapplying with no guarantee that you will get current exposure to the field of your choice while getting paid for it unless you score an aide/assistant job at a clinic by your current merit or a nice TA position for psychology classes. If planned right you can get into a COTA program within the spring/summer semesters so as you would be going through the OT applying process you can build up your back up plan so that you roll right into COTA school the following fall if it came to that. You can finish a COTA program in 18 months, pass your board exam, and start enjoying the OT field. I volunteered with several COTAs who LOVED their job, they do pretty much everything an OT does except they can't do Evaluations and their notes and what not have to be checked out and cleared by an OT. COTAs can get around 50k starting off (and good ones can get decent raises over time) which is pretty good considering that your schooling is much less than that (I saw programs that were just 15k total for tuition and fees), and that you just had to be in school for 18 months which beats the curve of most people who have a bachelors who are making nowhere near that unfortunately. One COTA told me that if she were to get accepted into an OT school that her company would pay for her schooling and she mentioned that this is starting to become a more common practice for companies who have good COTAs that are wanting to advance themselves professionally. I met a GREAT OT who had went the route of OTA to OT and bragged about how the OTA experienced gave a her a good handle on the tricks of the trade in terms of OT and it helped her be a more confident and efficient as an OT when she finally became one and not to mention it made her OT schooling easier because she understood quite a bit of the OT field from her OTA experience."

I am not 100% about the transcript thing but I am pretty sure it is both. Continue on to read this entire post as it will be a message I left for someone who is in a similar boat as you in terms of wanting to be in the OT field but not sure if they will get accepted into OT school and what not and let me know if it helps and what ya think:"I would implore you to have a solid back up plan if you do not get accepted into a school. OT school is very competitive (I am sure people are tired of hearing this cliche fact lolol) but the biggest obstacle for applicants is that there really is no clear cut formula into getting in and there is a significant level of subjectivity involved in being admitted into a program. There was a program I thought I would get accepted into and sure enough I got turned down while the program I thought I was a LONG SHOT in and had little chance ended up being the place I got into and where I plan on going. I have heard stories of people with high gpas 3.7+ who got rejected by programs for whatever reason. Some may disagree but seriously look into the COTA route if it does not work out. This was my back up plan because I wanted to be in the realm of the occupational therapy world while being into a position to advance when ready and still be getting paid. This a rare treat in the professional world that people underestimate. Hypothetically speaking, say you were applying to a graduate/professional psychology program to be psychologist because that field is the field you are drawn, if you don't get accepted that's it....... No such thing as 2 year schooling to become a certified psychology assistant so back to the drawing board of reapplying with no guarantee that you will get current exposure to the field of your choice while getting paid for it unless you score an aide/assistant job at a clinic by your current merit or a nice TA position for psychology classes. If planned right you can get into a COTA program within the spring/summer semesters so as you would be going through the OT applying process you can build up your back up plan so that you roll right into COTA school the following fall if it came to that. You can finish a COTA program in 18 months, pass your board exam, and start enjoying the OT field. I volunteered with several COTAs who LOVED their job, they do pretty much everything an OT does except they can't do Evaluations and their notes and what not have to be checked out and cleared by an OT. COTAs can get around 50k starting off (and good ones can get decent raises over time) which is pretty good considering that your schooling is much less than that (I saw programs that were just 15k total for tuition and fees), and that you just had to be in school for 18 months which beats the curve of most people who have a bachelors who are making nowhere near that unfortunately. One COTA told me that if she were to get accepted into an OT school that her company would pay for her schooling and she mentioned that this is starting to become a more common practice for companies who have good COTAs that are wanting to advance themselves professionally. I met a GREAT OT who had went the route of OTA to OT and bragged about how the OTA experienced gave a her a good handle on the tricks of the trade in terms of OT and it helped her be a more confident and efficient as an OT when she finally became one and not to mention it made her OT schooling easier because she understood quite a bit of the OT field from her OTA experience."
I'm losing hope now...I think I'm going to go to college of saint Mary's. ...I'm already accepted pre-ot. I have chances to keep applying every month...I'm going keep my trust in the lord...I've looked into it occupational therapy assistant programs and it will take the same time as getting an masters...I made some phone calls...and plus financial aid doesn't give you a lot of money if you have a bachelors degree...so I'm just going to hope I get accepted into OT program at saint marys... maybe I will get into Creighton university God can work miracles....I don't know. ..