Crying during an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cycloketocaine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's right. I cried during my interview today. :scared: Not like a sobbing cry, but I did shed a few tears. They asked me what my motivation was, and we went into the whole "my daughter is my strength and motivation thing", which got me a little teary-eyed. I then laughed at myself, and my interviewers laughed with me. The faculty member even mentioned that it shows that I have very strong feelings about my motivations to be a pharmacist and that it shows I have compassion and emotions, which are important characteristics in a pharmacist. Anyhoo, the rest of the interview went really well, I thought. I had one P-4 who was emotionless at first, but by the end I had her talking and making conversation. Will it hurt my chances? Everybody says I'm over-analyzing the situation, but I'm freaked out!!!!! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

My interviews were very intense when I divulged some very personal information to explain my own personal motivations and struggles, so you're not the only one :) I didn't cry though..

I didn't cry during my interview but it did get pretty personal during one of my interviews when they asked me who was one of my role models. I think its fine if you shed a tear or two, it shows you are not a robot, as long as you were able to move on and answer the rest of their questions with a clear mind it should be fine I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
This person helping with the interview was a P3 or P4 at the time:

You have to be truthful, because a lot of times they'll be able to see through it all. For example, one girl was asked if she knew about the other degrees the college of pharmacy and health sciences had to offer. She answered yes... then they asked her to list them and she didn't know. Afterwards , she started crying and they told her to leave the room, find the answer and then come back

I cried in one of my interviews also when I started talking about my parents and how much they have done for me all my life, and how I just want to make them proud...

yeah i'd cry to if im desperate and wanted to gain symmpathy votes.

Yeah, that's right. I cried during my interview today. :scared: Not like a sobbing cry, but I did shed a few tears. They asked me what my motivation was, and we went into the whole "my daughter is my strength and motivation thing", which got me a little teary-eyed. I then laughed at myself, and my interviewers laughed with me. The faculty member even mentioned that it shows that I have very strong feelings about my motivations to be a pharmacist and that it shows I have compassion and emotions, which are important characteristics in a pharmacist. Anyhoo, the rest of the interview went really well, I thought. I had one P-4 who was emotionless at first, but by the end I had her talking and making conversation. Will it hurt my chances? Everybody says I'm over-analyzing the situation, but I'm freaked out!!!!! :scared:

I did something very similar with no adverse effects. Don't worry about it.

Try to avoid it if possible. Seems like it would give the impression that you're at the mercy of your emotions and might not be able to handle stress. That's how I might interpret it if I helped out with interviews. ;) If you're a woman though... it can probably slide. :p It might be a deal breaker if it's a guy.

Try to avoid it if possible. Seems like it would give the impression that you're at the mercy of your emotions and might not be able to handle stress. That's how I might interpret it if I helped out with interviews. ;) If you're a woman though... it can probably slide. :p It might be a deal breaker if it's a guy.

Nah, I like it when men cry.

Nah, I like it when men cry.

;)

Well, I'd interpret it as they can't handle their emotions. What are they going to do once they have 3-4 exams in a single week? Cry or man up and get the job done? There's uncertainty now because he just broke down and cried over a simple interview question. :p I'd treat the interview etiquette the same as a job interview. Could you imagine someone crying during a job interview? Pretty bad impression on what the person might do if asked to do OT.

Lumbergh: "Um... I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow. So if you could be here around 9:00, that would be great. Mm-kay? Oh, oh, and I almost forgot. Uh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too, 'kay? We, um, lost some people this week and uh, we need to sort of play catch-up. Thanks."
*cries*

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda ironic that I saw this thread today. I ended up crying at my interview on Friday morning at Purdue...mainly because of bad timing really. I had written my essay about a close friend of mine who has been battling cancer for the last 4 or 5 years. He inspired me to want to do Pharmacy. Unfortunately, he lost the battle on Thursday morning before I flew up to Indiana for the interview. I knew they were going to ask me about my friend, but I still wasn't prepared to answer.

After a while, the question surely came up. "So, I also read in your essay about your friend _____. He is doing okay, right?" I replied no, told them he had passed away the previous day, and then my eyes welled up with tears. They gave me some water and a tissue, but I pulled myself together and finished the interview. I felt bad for the guy who asked me about him though; I know he must have felt absolutely horrible for bringing it up, but he couldn't have known what had just happened.

At the end of the interview, they said they were sorry if asking about my friend made me uncomfortable, but they were glad I showed emotion because it made me human and showed that I cared. So although it was a bit of bad timing for me, I guess it all worked out okay.

;)

Well, I'd interpret it as they can't handle their emotions. What are they going to do once they have 3-4 exams in a single week? Cry or man up and get the job done? There's uncertainty now because he just broke down and cried over a simple interview question. :p I'd treat the interview etiquette the same as a job interview. Could you imagine someone crying during a job interview? Pretty bad impression on what the person might do if asked to do OT.

Lumbergh: "Um... I'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow. So if you could be here around 9:00, that would be great. Mm-kay? Oh, oh, and I almost forgot. Uh, I'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday too, 'kay? We, um, lost some people this week and uh, we need to sort of play catch-up. Thanks."
*cries*

LOL. Yeah, no tears called for in that example. That wouldn't be appropriate for men or women.

What about this one: one of my classmates choked up a little when we were talking about eating disorders. Turns out his sister died when she was 19 of complications from anorexia.

Here's another. A third year student at my school drowned this year while trying to save a friend from drowning in a drainage ditch. Our assistant dean came in to talk to our class about the incident and was openly weeping. It was very touching to see how much he cared about his students.

Another true story: one of my classmates lost his infant son this year to SIDS. They cancelled class so we could attend the funeral. Everyone was bawling. I myself burst into tears the second I walked into the cathedral.

Sometimes people can't control their emotions. And that's OK! Too many people are afraid of emotion. Or, perhaps people at the University of Ky College of Pharmacy are just big wussies? :D

;)

*cries*

I think the difference should be noted between having your eyes moisten up versus outright bawling. Its ok I think to show some emotion when it comes to a personal matter you are very understandably emotional or passionate about (like a lot of the above examples).

I agree though you shouldn't cry in response to stress, say someone asks you a question about Western Blotting during the interview and you blank out and cry, that is a NO-NO!. I also don't reccomend bawling over anything, but I think its ok in my opinion to show some emotion in certain situations, it shows you aren't this cold-hearted # in the admissions process, you are a real human being, guy or girl.

LOL. Yeah, no tears called for in that example. That wouldn't be appropriate for men or women.

What about this one: one of my classmates choked up a little when we were talking about eating disorders. Turns out his sister died when she was 19 of complications from anorexia.

Here's another. A third year student at my school drowned this year while trying to save a friend from drowning in a drainage ditch. Our assistant dean came in to talk to our class about the incident and was openly weeping. It was very touching to see how much he cared about his students.

Another true story: one of my classmates lost his infant son this year to SIDS. They cancelled class so we could attend the funeral. Everyone was bawling. I myself burst into tears the second I walked into the cathedral.

Sometimes people can't control their emotions. And that's OK! Too many people are afraid of emotion. Or, perhaps people at the University of Ky College of Pharmacy are just big wussies? :D

Your school seems to have more than its fair share of sadness. :(

As far as interview etiquette goes though, I am a tad bit cold... ah hell, I'm not empathetic at all. :oops: A little watery eyes is fine... but I'd expect professionalism and composure. There's no crying in baseball!!! nor pharmacy!

Your school seems to have more than its fair share of sadness. :(

As far as interview etiquette goes though, I am a tad bit cold... ah hell, I'm not empathetic at all. :oops: A little watery eyes is fine... but I'd expect professionalism and composure. There's no crying in baseball!!! nor pharmacy!

We have had a lot of stuff happen this year and I didn't even list it all. It's been a difficult year.

Cold, eh? I'm familiar with the type! ;)

Yeah, I got teary eyed and my voice was a little shaky, but no tears were actually shed during two of my interview when I talked about personal information

and I am a guy if that changes anything, but I doubt that.

Thanks for your support guys!!! You all make me feel alot better about the situation. Like I said, the rest of my interview went really well, I didn't freeze or anything. I just got a little teary eyed and within 5 seconds and after taking a deep breath I regained my composure. I had all of interviewers engaged also, which I thought was a good sign, considering one of them had a stone cold look at first. :thumbup:

yeah i'd cry to if im desperate and wanted to gain symmpathy votes.

I'm not desperate, and I have more than enough credentials to get me in pharmacy school. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all. :cool:

Taking the pharm d step is an emotional thing. I remembering answering an interview question with my first responce.... I prepaired simple answers for general questions. But the pharmacist asked about a time I asked for help. The answers I had prepared for a similar question didn't feel right so I spoke breifly about asking for help when my mom died. My voice was shaky for second but I wasn't trying for pooints... I think interviewing is emotional experience and irionically you think of emotional issues as a natural responce. Just be for real! Plus derius rucker said living sweat is the best revenge... so you know its real lol

Quite a necropost! I dont think there would be anything wrong in crying during an interview. It shows how much you love your family and the passion and motivation you have in becoming a pharmacist.

Or you are simply an emotional person.... just because someone didn't cry does not mean they dont have the same motivations.

It would be unethical for them to keep interviewing after all seats are filled.

I do not think all seats are filled

It would be unethical for them to keep interviewing after all seats are filled.

I do not think all seats are filled
its unethical of you to respond to a 5 year old post to an OP who will probably never read it.

Reactions: 1 user