Cspp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brians

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm so happy that I found this site, i've been looking for something like this for a while. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the California School of Perfessional Psychology. I applied there and am waiting for a response now. I have heard only good things about the school but I want to see if anyone has anything else to say about it. As well i was wondering what limitations there are on jobs due to a PsyD rather then a PhD. Thanks everyone................

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know anything about the California school of which you were speaking. I've never researched it so I can't say anything about it.

In regard to your question about the PsyD vs. Phd., I know a lot about this because I just spent about 3 weeks researching the two trying to decide for myself which was the best option. I've determined the PH.D. opens the most doors in terms of opportunities once you graduate. The Ph.D. allows for one to teach college, conduct research, and counsel patients either in their own practice or through an institution. The Ph.d., therefore, is very appealing for someone like me who isn't quite sure what I want to do just yet. To me, all of the options are possibilities, which is why I have decided to pursue the PH.D.

THe Psy.D. is a great degree as well, but it does pose more limits on a person once they graduate. For instance, most universities require their teachers to have PH.D's. Therefore, if you ever decided you wanted to teach a course or two one day, you would have to limit yourself to those schools who feature the Psy.D. The Psy. D. will supply you with very important counseling skills, and if counseling is the area you know you will always want to be in, then the Psy. D. is perfect, (especially if you don't like research). However, if you ever decide one day that you wanted to take a job as a researcher for awhile, you'd be hard pressed to find one with the psy. d. Also, there is a bit of a negative connotation associated with the Psy.D. within the field of Psychology. Some people feel it is inferior to the PH.D. because it lacks focus on the science of psychology.

But these are just pieces of information I"ve gathered from people over the past few weeks. I've spoken with professors and different schools on the matter. IN the end you have to do what's best for you and not worry what anyone thinks.

brians said:
Hello all, I'm so happy that I found this site, i've been looking for something like this for a while. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the California School of Perfessional Psychology. I applied there and am waiting for a response now. I have heard only good things about the school but I want to see if anyone has anything else to say about it. As well i was wondering what limitations there are on jobs due to a PsyD rather then a PhD. Thanks everyone................

You can pursue either a PhD or PsyD in clinical psychology at CSPP. A good friend of mine graduated from the program with a PhD, received postdoctoral training in clinical neuropsychology, and is currently Chief of Psychology at a well-respected Children's Hospital in the southwest.

PhD program: http://www.alliant.edu/cspp/phdclin.htm

PsyD program: http://www.alliant.edu/cspp/psydclin.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a CSPP San Diego PhD student. I will be happy to answer any questions you have. I will do so objectively.

I'm pretty sure CSPP = Alliant now, yes?

CSPP is now part of Alliant (the California CSPP that is, not to be confused with Chicago School of Professional Psychology which is also known as CSPP).

You can go to CSPP and get a PhD. It is a smaller program but that is probably good.

I train students from an array of schools and have trained some excellent students from the CSPP Ph.D track--so if you need to go the professional school route it is a good option.

haha,

yeah I didn't look at the date. 4 years ago!

Hey all. Your posts are very helpful!

Is it possible to attend CSPP clinical psychology PhD program in LA part time as a transfer student (with MA in psychology) and work at my job full time? :confused:

I understand the classes are offered at night and evenings - is this true?

How about the part time internship?

Thank you

The rigors of graduate level training are not amenable to nights and weekends, or full time outside employment. A program that is would worry me, and is obviously not providing the same level of training as the other 200 doctoral programs in this country. This is not Devry or the University of Phoenix. Then again, it is Alliant (CSPP), so who knows.....Alliant's match stats are notoriously abysmal, not sure about the LA campus specifically.

Spalding University in Louisville Ky is an APA accredited Psy.D. program with 100% match rates in APA internship sites. It's classes are offered primarily during the evening and weekends.

My situation is getting to where I will HAVE to work full time and try and get my PhD - which is why I am looking into CSPP Los Angeles. I feel trapped, and I know that is not how I should feel when considering a doctoral program. Ill have my MA next quarter - which is a glorified BA.

I have a great job and am looking into life events - house, marriage and children - all of which I need to work to afford (on top of the debt from these schools) and I know that UCLA, USC, UCI, UCSD etc all require (provided you actually get in) that you TA, take classes and spend the rest of your free time [sic] doing research to further the name of your mentor (and university).

Online the CSPP states there is an Option B where you attend internship part time for the last 2 years, whereas Option A is full time internship in the last year.

I may have to take the last year off to get the APA internship somewhere and manage. You are right erg923, trying to get a competitive APA internship part time seems ludicrous.

Members don't see this ad :)
With all due respect, I do not think any of the reasons you listed justify getting a Ph.D., much less accumulating insane amounts of debt to get that Ph.D. This is not just a job. Do it cause you want to, not cause you want feel trapped and want a career. I would also mention spending your free time doing resesrch should be a somewhat enjoyable activity for most Ph.D. students, as it is the essence of the Ph.D degree. This is what separates your from nondoctral level metal health providers. This is the Ph.D. in other words. The research is not for your mentor, it's for you. Total Immersion is the learning process in a doctoral program.

Of course some programs will be more demanding than others, but there is no way you can receive the appropriate amount of immersion in resesrch and practice by only doing evenings or part-time. The average full time student takes 6 years for the Ph.D, so do you think you would like to be paying the tuition at CSPP for 10-12 years? I doubt it. By the way, practicums in your 3rd and fourth year will require up to 20 hours/week. So you would not be able to have a full time job during the day during this time either. A "real" Ph.D. requires a certain amount of sacrifice, whether it be income, marriage, geographical flexibility, buying a house, etc. You cant have it all at once. Unfortunately, you may not be in a place where you are able to make the appropriate life sacrifices for this educational path. If it was an easy road, everyone would do it.

Last edited:
Of course some programs will be more demanding than others, but there is no way you can receive the appropriate amount of immersion in research and practice by only doing evenings or part-time. The average full time student takes 6 years for the Ph.D......

I can't imagine doing it part-time, it'd take 10+ years. The immersion is really part of the learning, and I think it is necessary to really become familiar with your area, and work towards expert knowledge of said area.

By the way, practicums in your 3rd and fourth year will require up to 20 hours/week.

Yup. And that is when people are more efficient with assessments, report writing, etc.

Ultimately a doctoral program *is* a sacrifice, and it isn't meant for everyone. Is it fair....no, but is it necessary....yes. Talk to most any student (particularly on the back-end and new professionals) and they'll tell you there is still SO MUCH MORE they needed to learn outside of the classroom. I've crammed a ton of learning in, conferences, seminars, etc.....and I know I still have work to do in certain areas because I want to make sure I am fully comfortable to know what I need to know for my area.

Um...Perfessional Psychology? I'm sorry, that just made me laugh.

I think this got deleted..

Thank you all for your advice! this is great!

I feel stuck with CSPP - not getting a PhD. Stuck in that i spoke with a CSPP representative who stated that my MA would transfer (30 or more units) toward my PhD there - thus allowing me to take 1 (or fewer???) classes per quarter, while taking 5-6 years to complete my PhD, thus appearing to be 'part time'. If this is the case - and if classes are offered at night/evening - I could maintain employment and still get my PhD in a reasonable amount of time.

with the internship i would take the last year off from work to complete my PhD. I am committed to psychology and my understanding of human behavior/unconsciousness. Getting my PhD is not any concern, it is where I get my PhD is the concern.

please let me know if this sounds wrong or if I am off with CSPP...

thanks for your advice!

To make a loooong argument short, I would advise against CSPP. Not worth what you pay for and they present the program very unrealistically in the hopes of getting your money.

I think this got deleted..

Thank you all for your advice! this is great!

I feel stuck with CSPP - not getting a PhD. Stuck in that i spoke with a CSPP representative who stated that my MA would transfer (30 or more units) toward my PhD there - thus allowing me to take 1 (or fewer???) classes per quarter, while taking 5-6 years to complete my PhD, thus appearing to be 'part time'. If this is the case - and if classes are offered at night/evening - I could maintain employment and still get my PhD in a reasonable amount of time.

with the internship i would take the last year off from work to complete my PhD. I am committed to psychology and my understanding of human behavior/unconsciousness. Getting my PhD is not any concern, it is where I get my PhD is the concern.

please let me know if this sounds wrong or if I am off with CSPP...

thanks for your advice!

I am confused because, although it is certainly a necessity, classwork is one of the lowest priorities and the least time consuming efforts in graduate school. Especially after the the first 2 years. You are neglecting to take into account the 20/week practicums during 3rd and 4th year, the time spent doing research, and the time spent gathering data and writing and compiling a dissertation. These are the things the provide the core of a Ph.D. and the things that will take up your time. Why are you so focused on the issue of class work?
When exactly would you see your patients during your 40 hour work week? Practicum placements such as Med centers, counsellings centers, schools, and community mental health centers do not do evenings, even if you do. When would you spent time reading and doing the research? When would you do your dissertation? That's my question.

Last edited:
To make a loooong argument short, I would advise against CSPP. Not worth what you pay for and they present the program very unrealistically in the hopes of getting your money.

That is what i was afraid of with this school. It seemed like a better school than some of the other PhD/PsyD programs. And I understand that with prestige (UCLA) there is no flexibility, and with flexibility (U of Phoenix online [as example]) there is no prestige. I was looking for the best of both worlds... thanks for your advice!

I am confused because, although it is certainly a necessity, classwork is one of the lowest priorities and the least time consuming efforts in graduate school. Especially after the the first 2 years. You are neglecting to take into account the 20/week practicums during 3rd and 4th year, the time spent doing research, and the time spent gathering data and writing and compiling a dissertation. These are the things the provide the core of a Ph.D. and the things that will take up your time. Why are you so focused on the issue of class work?
When exactly would you see your patients during your 40 hour work week? Practicum placements such as Med centers, counsellings centers, schools, and community mental health centers do not do evenings, even if you do. When would you spent time reading and doing the research? When would you do your dissertation? That's my question.

I guess I wasnt thinking of the practicum in my 3rd and 4th year... Im working full time now and Ill will have completed my MA in 5 quarters (a little over 1 year with a very high gpa) - I guess I am too ambitious. One of my jobs if very flexable - overnights, weekends, whatever I need. My other job would not be so flexable though. This is something to consider.

If you dont mind me asking, where do you go to school and how do you do it? - school work, dissertation, practicum, internship, and work???

thanks again for your advice! it is very helpful, and Im glad I am finding this out now rather than when it is too late! thank you!

I do not disclose what program I attend for numerous reasons. Most Ph.D. programs are supported. So I do not may tuition and have a modest stipend. The vast majority of Ph.D. students also do not have outside jobs during grad school, as it is simply not feasible. However, since my 2nd year I have worked as paid research assistant/psychometrician at an academic medical center. My supervisor is the assistant PI on the grant over there, so it is not something seperate from her lab or our labs work. So its not really an "outside" job, technically. However, the paid part of my job, which is the psychometrician part, (collaborating on the research that comes out of it necessitates extra hours) is only about 10 hours per week. Certainly nothing that I could live on. These are the kinds of small paid positions that some Ph.D students have. Nothing more. I have a practicum that takes up about 20/week, one class, dissertation data preparations and lit reviews, and I am currently helping with 2 manuscripts in my lab(one is mine, one is a friend's in my lab). There is now way I could work over 8-10/week at my paid position and still get all my other stuff taken care of.

I guess the only advice I can give is time management, time management, time management. And expect to work over 40/hours week. I am married (I'm 27), but my wife and I do not own a house yet, we will not be having kids for sometime, and with the exception of our taste for good wine, we live a a very grad student like existence. :)

Last edited:
To the original poster: Given your situation, you might consider the LCSW track for a variety of reasons. It is a versatile degree that lets you enter clinical practice as well as a variety of other jobs that seek licensed clinicians. Some of your existing M.A. degree might transfer or at least allow you to take electives if you have met requirements. Cal State Long Beach has a strong program and there are CalSWEC grants up to $18500/year for qualified students during field work years. They have a program specifically designed to "work around" current employment as well, I believe, so that they can help people in the field already advance. There is a shortage of social workers in California and a high demand. Although I am a Ph.D., I have both trained under, worked with and trained clinical social workers and highly value that professional path. There is some "look down the nose at" attitude among some PhDPsyDs about social work but I find it unbecoming and unprofessional. So before you committment to any professional school debt load I would explore the social work options. (There is a parallel forum on this site to explore too.)

I am currently a CSPP San Diego PhD student. I will be happy to answer any questions you have. I will do so objectively.

I was wondering if you could give me some information on the interview process. I am interviewing with CSPP SF on Friday and have been unable to find any info on interview question... Do you remember any unique questions I should prepare for?