CSU c/o 2019 applicants, where y'at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violetvet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So excited and nervous! CSU is my IS, also considering Western U since my husband works in film and it would be close to LA.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'll be applying to CSU, and only CSU, this cycle. I currently reside in San Diego but I'm moving to CO this summer to establish residency.

I'm also applying next year. Top choice is UF

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck! Grrr121, do you have to be a resident when you apply or just by the time school starts?

For CSU in order to be considered a resident you must reside in the state 12 months prior to the first day of classes.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just realized that CSU is not even reading eLORs this year. How crazy is that?! They just want 3 ETS PPI evals. You still need eLORS for VMCAS, but I just feel bummed that I've carefully chosen my evaluators and now my target school doesn't even want to read what they have to say! :wtf:

So I just realized that CSU is not even reading eLORs this year. How crazy is that?! They just want 3 ETS PPI evals. You still need eLORS for VMCAS, but I just feel bummed that I've carefully chosen my evaluators and now my target school doesn't even want to read what they have to say! :wtf:

On the plus side, I'm not as worried about asking my boss to write me a LOR....he couldn't write a letter without 20+ grammar errors, even if his life depended on it.

We're all in that other super long C/O 2019 applicant thread! :p

I'm applying to UF, KSU, Michigan, Iowa, and Ross. Might pick another one if I can scrap up another $100. I was going to apply to OSU and then realized they're doing that crazy ETS PPI thing and decided against it. It's already taking me a great deal of effort having to push my very-busy writers to finish writing my eLORS, so I don't want to do that again with another system. Anyone know which schools are doing that this year?

I figured as much! CSU is really the only school I'm aiming for so I'm hoping to connect with others specific to that school and yeah, the PPI is big time bullhonky, IMO.

I'm applying to UF, KSU, Michigan, Iowa, and Ross. Might pick another one if I can scrap up another $100. I was going to apply to OSU and then realized they're doing that crazy ETS PPI thing and decided against it. It's already taking me a great deal of effort having to push my very-busy writers to finish writing my eLORS, so I don't want to do that again with another system. Anyone know which schools are doing that this year?

Yeah the PPI is kind of lame. But I wouldn't let that stop you from applying to a school you really want - if I recall correctly, I don't think it's actually all that long or too much of a hassle for evaluators (on the website it says it takes ~15 minutes). Especially since they don't have to craft well thought out sentences about you, it's just going through and answering questions. When I applied, I'd forgotten that UCDavis needed it on an earlier deadline than the rest of the app, so I had to rush and ask my evaluators just a week before. I was so lucky, because they were all so nice about it and filled it out within the next day or so. In the end Davis actually pushed back to deadline so it turned out I'd freaked out for nothing, lol.

Yeah the PPI is kind of lame. But I wouldn't let that stop you from applying to a school you really want - if I recall correctly, I don't think it's actually all that long or too much of a hassle for evaluators (on the website it says it takes ~15 minutes). Especially since they don't have to craft well thought out sentences about you, it's just going through and answering questions. When I applied, I'd forgotten that UCDavis needed it on an earlier deadline than the rest of the app, so I had to rush and ask my evaluators just a week before. I was so lucky, because they were all so nice about it and filled it out within the next day or so. In the end Davis actually pushed back to deadline so it turned out I'd freaked out for nothing, lol.

Same happened with me haha!

The school is not worth the extra trouble (and money).

I see the CSA opens "July 2014." Does anyone know if that means the 1st or the 15th or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is everyone's career goals? I hate that we have to pick just one on the CSA. I'm interested in shelter medicine (community betterment) but also like the idea of a mixed practice or specializing. I know there's shortages in public health, but I don't really know what that would entail. I feel like I won't know until a few years into vet school!

Hey, guys! I applied to Colorado last year cause it is also my IS :). I didn't get in, so if I am not taken off of Kansas's waitlist, I am definitely reapplying to Colorado as my number one. I did a file review about two weeks ago with the dean and I just want to let you guys know that the admissions committee does not see a cumulative GPA. All they see is your GPA for each semester you take so they can see your academic trends. Your academics are the first thing they look at when going through your application.

Can someone explain the ETS PPI please? Which schools are using it other than CSU? Thanks :)

Can someone explain the ETS PPI please? Which schools are using it other than CSU? Thanks :)

I don't know much about the specifics other than it is in a survey format. My references said it was pretty easy and only took like 15 minutes. I only applied to CSU and WSU so I know that WSU doesn't require the PPI. I think I saw that UC Davis does require it, not 100% on that though.

The school is not worth the extra trouble (and money).

If you've taken the GRE (which you have, if you're applying to vet schools), you get some amount of free PPI reports. So it's not extra money. Not sure why the need to post a snotty remark about a school you aren't even applying to.

Ohio is using the ETS PPI starting this year

If you've taken the GRE (which you have, if you're applying to vet schools), you get some amount of free PPI reports. So it's not extra money. Not sure why the need to post a snotty remark about a school you aren't even applying to.
Shoot, I logged into my GRE account (cuz I just took it) and they still made me pay $27 to send my scores to CSU. Oh well, drop in the bucket I suppose!
Also, I only just realized that if you're only applying to CSU, you don't need eLORS at all, just the PPI. But VMCAS requires one eLOR to be submitted before they begin transcript verification. So how does that work if you're only applying to CSU? I need to tag the VMCAS member on here, but I don't know how...

Hey guys! Okay, so follow me here as CSU has some very specific requirements this year. NOTE: IF YOU ARE APPLYING TO OTHER SCHOOLS BESIDES CSU, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE REGULAR SUBMISSION PROCESS!!

• In order to submit the VMCAS application, you are REQUIRED to register a minimum of 3 LORs. Since CSU does not pull this data, you can use garbage emails when registering.
  • CSU will not be accepting the VMCAS eLORs this year, so this garbage data will be excluded from their data collection on your application.
  • CSU does NOT wait for or use the VMCAS transcript verification service before they begin working with data, so you DO NOT have to have a verified application if you're applying to CSU only.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I'm starting at CSU this fall. If anyone has any questions about applying (especially dual-degrees), I can try and help! Good luck everyone :)

That's awesome, @Njnealon, congrats! And thank you for offering advice! Which dual-degree program are you pursuing?

I'm moving to Fort Collins in 3 weeks....ahhh!!

is anyone else having issues logging into the CSA? i applied last cycle, but it's saying there isn't an account associated with my email.

I am having issues too. I tried to sign up for it a few days ago and never got my temporary pin to log in.

i started creating a new account and am running into that same issue. still no temporary pin. emailed janet about it. we shall see.

I'm moving to Fort Collins in 3 weeks....ahhh!!

So exciting! Do you know where you'll be living? I confess I have been researching places to live: hopefully somewhere at the intersection of CSU/ New Belgium/ a decent mexican restaurant! :D Hope I'm not jinxing myself!:bored:

I'm renting a room from family I've never met, but they are a few blocks from the vet school. I'm not sure where New Belgium is in comparison, but that will be one of the first things I find out :D as for Mexican restaurants, I'm from San Diego so I'm sure nothing will compare

I'm renting a room from family I've never met, but they are a few blocks from the vet school. I'm not sure where New Belgium is in comparison, but that will be one of the first things I find out :D as for Mexican restaurants, I'm from San Diego so I'm sure nothing will compare

Try Cafe MexiCali :)

I called Janet yesterday to get my temp pin and that worked out well. I am finally in there.

hey guys! do the PPIs have to be from any type of person in particular? It didnt say so on the website but I just wanted to be sure

hey guys! do the PPIs have to be from any type of person in particular? It didnt say so on the website but I just wanted to be sure

I think I saw somewhere that they recommended you have one from a vet, one from a professor, and one from a recent employer. But if I remember correctly that was just a recommendation

as for Mexican restaurants, I'm from San Diego so I'm sure nothing will compare

Blue Agave is delicious! It's a little more expensive but everything tastes amazing! Los Tarascos isn't bad either

I hope you know I wasn't even talking about CSU...

I hope you know I wasn't even talking about CSU...

Which school are you talking about then? You're posting in the CSU thread. It would make sense that you were talking about CSU.

Hi guys! I'm applying too! Yay i'm glad someone else is from california :) i just graduated from ucsd so i'm familiar (and super sad that I had to leave) with the sheer perfection that is san diego! Really excited about colorado though! One of the vets i worked for is an alumni and my co-worker goes there now :) both of them are in LOVE with the cvm and fort collins

That's awesome, @Njnealon, congrats! And thank you for offering advice! Which dual-degree program are you pursuing?

Thanks @Violetvet ! I'm pursing a DVM/PhD... so starting as a graduate student this year, while also taking some of the veterinary courses. Orientation in a week! ahhhhhh!!!!

Fort Collins is awesome so far though, if anyone is curious. Wonderful view, friendly people, and so many nice running and biking trails! Not to mention all of the breweries and delicious local food. Coming from the east coast, it was a bit of a change, but so far very good changes!

I just got done going over my application with Ann Bowen, the CSU pre-vet advisor. If you get the chance to talk to her, I recommend it! She is about the nicest person in the world and super helpful.

I'm feeling worried that I don't have enough upper division biomed science creds, I have 7 including ochem, biochem and genetics. Otherwise I'm a pretty diverse non-traditional applicant, so I guess it will just depend on who else is applying!

OOF! THE NERVES!! :wideyed:

getting ready to apply again this year, just to CSU this time. 3rd time is hopefully a charm. OR I may still be called this year, but that is not looking very likely the closer it is to the start of class.

getting ready to apply again this year, just to CSU this time. 3rd time is hopefully a charm. OR I may still be called this year, but that is not looking very likely the closer it is to the start of class.

Same here, friend. I think time has run out for me for the waitlist for Kansas this year. So it's just Colorado and Kansas this year for me.

Is anyone else struggling with the "Unique Experiences/ Qualities" section of the CSA? I actually feel like I have too much to include and it is just a bunch of disjointed statements about random things. Seems like it's a pretty important section that you don't want to just gloss over.

Also WHEN are they gonna post the C/O 2014 stats? I don't have enough opportunities to compare myself to other people! :p

Is anyone else struggling with the "Unique Experiences/ Qualities" section of the CSA? I actually feel like I have too much to include and it is just a bunch of disjointed statements about random things. Seems like it's a pretty important section that you don't want to just gloss over.

Also WHEN are they gonna post the C/O 2014 stats? I don't have enough opportunities to compare myself to other people! :p

I know the feeling! I focused on a couple of interesting/unique experiences only. I met w/Dr. Hardy, head of CSU admissions and she said that was the best way to go about answering that question vs making a long list of things.

Which school are you talking about then? You're posting in the CSU thread. It would make sense that you were talking about CSU.

Read my post before that one.

felixor90 said:
I was going to apply to OSU and then realized they're doing that crazy ETS PPI thing and decided against it.

We were discussing the new PPI prereq.

I actually looked more at my human experiences in the pet industry/vet clinics. I talked about being able to work with most people in a large variety of economical situations (from where money is no issue to where money is a huge issue). I mentioned it because I feel that something we as an industry is to try to find the best quality care for the money each specific client can afford. I feel like a lot of people don't talk about their human experiences as much as their animal/vet experiences there, so I tried to go a different direction.

Just submitted CSU Supplemental & VMCAS!! Yay!

does anyone know when CSU starts to call out for decisions?

good luck everyone!!!! :D