CSU c/o 2019 applicants, where y'at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know when CSU starts to call out for decisions?

good luck everyone!!!! :D

for the last two years they have sent out an email the friday of finals weeks. december 19th or shortly after would be my guess.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, I almost would rather not know the exact day!:barf:

So Friday December 19th, but at WHAT TIME?? I'll need to plan my day around that meltdown or celebration.

Members don't see this ad :)
So Friday December 19th, but at WHAT TIME?? I'll need to plan my day around that meltdown or celebration.

Just go to a bar, that way you're prepared either way :)

Reactions: 2 users
Last year, I received my notification e-mail on 12/21 (which, thankfully, was the week after my finals).

I saw my status change on the csu portal on 12/20 & received an email on 12/21 that notified me of my status.

Anyone have some items checked off on their received list on the CSU portal? I have submitted everything, GRE (submitted 6/14), PPI & VMCAS, but only have a green check by "PPI received".
What do the rest of you see?

Same here, only the PPI checked off. I sent my GRE back in August and other schools have marked that as received but not Colorado yet.

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel less anxious. :turtle:

I only have the PPI checked off too. I asked admissions and they said that start they recording receipt of application materials at the end of this week. So check in next week.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh, I almost would rather not know the exact day!:barf:

afternoon for sure. i got my last two right before work (evening job); fun times.

So @Fish pixie and @batsenecal , did the emails you received say you were denied or did they simply say to check the portal? I might turn email notifications off on my phone that week, especially if the subject line gives any indication as to what the decision is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Subject line: Colorado notification from CSU's veterinary program

Then the e-mail goes into about three or four paragraphs telling me that I was not accepted and some information on the number of applicants as well as encouragement to reapply (of course).

Here's what I received:

The subject:

"Colorado Alternate for the veterinary program at CSU"

the email:

"Hello,

Application Reviews for CSU's veterinary program (including the FAVCIP program) have been completed. You have been designated as a Colorado Alternate. This means you are on a limited list of ranked candidates who may be eligible to receive an offer of admission if a position opens before classes begin in the fall. College policy prevents release of ranking information, and there are few alternate offers made until after the response date of April 15."

They wrote some more, but you get the gist of it.

Probably safe to assume an acceptance would also be indicated in the subject.

Last edited:
Fish pixie is correct concerning acceptance emails. Here is what I received:

Subject line: Nonsponsored Offer of Admission to CSU's veterinary program

The email:
"The Veterinary Admissions Committee at Colorado State University has completed its review of your application for admission to the veterinary program (including the FAVCIP program) for the entering class of fall 2014.
Congratulations! You have been selected to receive a Nonsponsored offer in the veterinary program at Colorado State University." followed by a lot more information....

email arrived 12/21 sometime in the late afternoon
last day of finals this year will be Friday December 19th so I imagine decisions may be as early as the 20th

If you have any questions about the program and such, feel free to ask and I will answer to the best of my limited experience here. Best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 2 users
Is the disadvantage essay mandatory?
I don't believe so, I treated it like the explanation statement on vmcas. Optional but available if you have something you want to let the admission committee know about.

I have a PPI question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I have 6 PPI evaluators who have completed the form. CSU website says to include 3 evaluators to send to them. The PPI website lets you pick 5. Should I include 5 or 3? Will I be "punished" for including more than 3?

I have a PPI question I'm hoping someone can help me out with. I have 6 PPI evaluators who have completed the form. CSU website says to include 3 evaluators to send to them. The PPI website lets you pick 5. Should I include 5 or 3? Will I be "punished" for including more than 3?

I don't think you will be necessarily "punished" but to the best of my knowledge CSU will not review more than 3. The school evaluation requirement chart through the aavmc website explains that CSU will evaluation recommendations matching the three names you list on their supplemental application and will simply disregard any additional. The PPI allows you to accumulate a large number of evaluations and pick and chose which ones you want to send. My advice, pick which 3 you think are your best, list their names on your supplemental application and leave it at that.

Hey I was just wondering for those who submitted explanation statements to VMCAS did you submit the same one to the special circumstances section for the supp app? There is a lot of overlap between the applications and not sure if it is ok to submit same response for both. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I would advise against reusing the same response for both of the VMCAS and the supplemental. You only have limited space to present yourself in the best light possible and show who you are. It's best to not do the same thing twice in the very limited space you have. Plus I think it looks like you put less effort into the applications if you copy the same response twice.

Does anyone's application status show that CSU has received you VMCAS application? Mine still says waiting and I am starting to worry because every other school has received it.

So, I went to submit my application and it says I don't have an account. I might die.

Call Janet tomorrow!! It will be ok. It must be a glitch. Deep breaths. It will be ok. :(

My mom said the same thing cause I was freaking out next to her. lol. I will call while on lunch tomorrow. This shows me to wait until the week the application is due to submit it.

I had the same thing happen to me. I just waited an hour and then went back into the portal and it was working just fine.

So I just submitted my supplemental app and when I go to the status page there is no info regarding my gre scores/PPI report. I sent these weeks ago. Anybody else unable to see status for these?

It says on their site that it will take 3-5 days for items to show up. If you've just submitted your supplemental application , they probably haven't been keeping track of what was received until now. They tend to get pretty bogged down about now.

I am just curious if any one knows much about their application process? I always thought of CSU as pretty numbers oriented but have also seen people get in with 3.0s. On their site they say if you have less than a 3.2 it is less likely you will get in. Just wondering if they discount you right away if you have a low GPA or if they tend to look at the whole application first. Any thoughts?

CDC has more of a holistic admissions methodology.

IMO, CSU takes a "whole person" perspective for admissions. You can have some problems such as poor grades, family issues, etc. and still get in. As I was told by a little birdie not too long ago, it's not an issue to have bad points in life....the important thing is what you do about it. Those that "do" tend to succeed.....and despite what may be circulating out there, most vet schools want to see you succeed. Again this is just my opinion based on my situation and that of others I have been privileged to meet.

Hey guys! Okay, so follow me here as CSU has some very specific requirements this year. NOTE: IF YOU ARE APPLYING TO OTHER SCHOOLS BESIDES CSU, YOU MUST FOLLOW THE REGULAR SUBMISSION PROCESS!!

• In order to submit the VMCAS application, you are REQUIRED to register a minimum of 3 LORs. Since CSU does not pull this data, you can use garbage emails when registering.
  • CSU will not be accepting the VMCAS eLORs this year, so this garbage data will be excluded from their data collection on your application.
  • CSU does NOT wait for or use the VMCAS transcript verification service before they begin working with data, so you DO NOT have to have a verified application if you're applying to CSU only.
Hope this helps!

@VMCASSTAFF I just want to double check on this: In order to submit the VMCAS application I need to register 3 emails for LORs, but I don't actually need the LORs submitted, correct? I'm only applying to CSU

However, PPIs must be received by 1 pm today.

I am just curious if any one knows much about their application process? I always thought of CSU as pretty numbers oriented but have also seen people get in with 3.0s. On their site they say if you have less than a 3.2 it is less likely you will get in. Just wondering if they discount you right away if you have a low GPA or if they tend to look at the whole application first. Any thoughts?

I applied to CSU last year and went to a file review with the dean when I did not get in. They do have a holistic approach to students I found. I applied with a 3.3 and only 135 vet experience hours as the low points on my application. She told me that they don't see your cumulative GPA but see your semester GPAs and see the trend, which works really well for people who started out bad and worked their way up. Not necessarily good for people who had their rough spot later, though. Overall, though, I think they took my animal experience hours to heart since I had a rather unique situation in that regards. However, it was my negative trend in GPA semester by semester that ultimately was the biggest factor for me not getting in.

Hi Everybody... Applying to CSU this year, too.
Can't believe it's now time to wait for interview calls... so scary :scared:
Good Luck!!

Does Colorado interview out of state kids? I know they don't interview in state. I would love it if they interviewed for us Coloradans.

Oh I didn't realize that they didn't do interviews. My wallet is glad but it would have been nice to have an excuse to visit Colorado!

You don't need an excuse to visit Colorado. Our awesomeness is reason enough.

I went ahead and applied to CSU this year. I feel like it's a crapshoot, but I like the idea of the school/area/state. Plus, the USDA-CEAH headquarters are located in Fort Collins, so there is potential for interesting internships.

Probably a little premature to be thinking about housing already, but does anybody know anyone who commutes to CSU from Loveland? I've heard it's do-able for the first 3 years at least, but that you really need to be in FoCo for the fourth year. My husband and I really need a decent sized apt/ house and for cheap.

Lots of people live in Loveland. It is really not that far. I know a few people who live in Berthoud also. I believe for fourth year you need to be within a 1/2 hour while you are on call.

There are some really nice apartments in FoCo, I just helped my cousin move in to a really spacious 2 bedroom. And Loveland is really not far at all if you want to go that route.