CSU-East Bay Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amynet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you guys gone through Cal State East Bay's Post-Bacc Program? How was your experience, and how helpful did you find the advisor and the professors? I am interested in hearing current or recent post-bacc students' experience at this program, as there are not any recent comments on this and the program doesn't connect prospective students with current and past post-bacc students to speak about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not really a program...You select whatever classes you want to take, only limited by prereq's. I had a hard time figuring which classes I should take and which ones were equivalent to ones I took at my undergraduate institution. I was informed by the biology department that they don't provide advisors for postbac students, but halfway through I found out that I was misinformed. I emailed one of the advisors once, but for the most part, I just picked my own classes. The professors I had and classes I took were good. However with a biology degree, I found that if I stayed longer, I probably would have run out of upper division science classes to take since they don't offer too many. (I was there for two quarters). Administration sucks. They lost my transcripts twice. I had to hand deliver them and was accepted 2 days later, a few days before the deadline to register for classes even though I applied months before. This is at the Hayward campus. I don't know about Concord.

I spent a year at CSU East Bay doing post-bacc work. Overall, most professors were good. If you put in the work, you can improve your GPA here. You still need to study and know the material. There are a few notoriously difficult professors, but nothing toooo bad if you study. Be sure to check reviewum.com for professor reviews. I didn't have any talks with the advisors. For the most part, if you look up the pre-professional program schedule provided on the CSU East Bay website, you can find the classes that are the normal pre-med pre-reqs. If you're on the quarter system these classes should correspond with the pre-med classes you took during undergrad.

It was a good experience overall. I got antsy toward the end of the year, after taking so many bio classes it gets repetitive haha. Class sizes are small, most labs have the professor teaching rather than a TA. I came from a UC, so having the professors know my name within the first two weeks was pretty different. Most of the professors were more than happy to write letters of rec if you speak to them a few times and do well. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I hope this helped.

oh yeah: Ilovescience and I had similar experiences. Make sure to keep checking up on them, they lost my transcript twice also, so be sure to send three!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for sharing your experience. Have you guys been able to get accepted at a medical school and if so, where? You can PM me if you don't want to share this in public.

actually, both Ilovescience and I are applying to med school this cycle and will be going to attend the EVMS SMP . While I was at CSUEB I met a lot of post-bacc students. Are you planning to attend CSUEB as an academic enhancer or as a career changer?

Thanks, Christofurrr and ilovescience for sharing your thoughts. I'm considering signing up this fall, did you guys go through open university? Were you able to get all the classes you needed? You can PM me if you want. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share that CSUEB now has a formal post bacc program starting this Fall 2010 quarter. I am enrolled in it as a Career Changer but they also have an Advanced cohort for the Career Advancers. This program is even listen on the AAMC webpage for post-bacc pre med programs.

So, they are accepting students now. The classes have barely started so I cant really comment on the professors or the classes overall, but as much as I have heard from our advisors, CSUEB has sent kids to medical school through this program (it used to be an informal program before, not anymore).

I'd be interested in hearing feedback about this program as well. I'm not loving the idea of driving to Hayward. I found out the class offerings in Concord are minimal. It is very affordable, and when I inquired, I wouldn't have to contend with undergrads or other degree seekers for placement.

I am interested to hear about CSUEB program and dental school acceptance rate for the ppl who finished the program.

I am currently debating to go for CSUEB or UCB-Extension post-bac program starting Fall 2011. I am changing my career so I need to take all the require science course.

I am interested to hear about CSUEB program and dental school acceptance rate for the ppl who finished the program.

I am currently debating to go for CSUEB or UCB-Extension post-bac program starting Fall 2011. I am changing my career so I need to take all the require science course.

I think you're better off doing CSUEB than UCB extension then, especially since you haven't taken any of the science courses yet. I was thinking of applying (for the academic enhancer track), but at the last minute decided against it. The emails that Dr. Wambuguh sends out really makes it sound like you got a good faculty to get you LOR's. I hear UCB is usually at random cc's around the bay area and that you might have to travel to different locations for different classes.

I just got accepted to the program and was searching the forum for any info regarding CSU East Bay. Although I'm from the Bay Area, I can't say I've ever spent much time in Hayward. Can someone familiar with CSUEB give some insight into the school, the surrounding area and how safe/nice the environment is?

also, if anyone currently in the program could comment on the academic value of the program, that'd be great. How are the professors? how large the classes? thanks!

Hmm...they are already handing out acceptances? When was your application complete? What were your undergrad stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
They review applications on a rolling basis. I applied back in November, but because their admissions office is really slow at processing transcripts, my application file was not considered complete until about two weeks ago.

Once it was complete, they got back to me really quickly. It doesn't seem like they're too selective. (my stats=3.3 gpa from Cal. former sociology major).

On the CSU mentor, no personal statement is required right?

Longcatislong, did you apply at CSU Eastbay for this upcoming Fall 2011? I am in the process of applying and I think there is an essay in the CSUmentor online application.

You're right. I called to make sure and they said essay and interview are not required. Are you starting in the Fall 2011?

I do plan to start in Fall '11. I Also applied to SFSU, and still waiting to hear back from them. I've heard good things about both programs. People currently in the program seem very satisfied.

They seem to be pretty much comparable to one another in terms of course offerings, small class-size, instruction and advising. However, SFSU's formal program has been around longer (6 years or something), while 2010 was CSUEB's first year with their formal post-bacc. Previously, they had some sort of informal program. Through word of mouth, and perusing this forum, I've heard of people successfully going on to professional school from csueb.

i got accepted to CSUEB postbacc program. Is anyone in the program right now? how is it? are they all undergraduate level class or you can take some graduate level?

Congrats, when did you apply, i am also filling up my applications, what did you go through? any advices?

For those of you who got accepted to CSU-EB for Pre-Prof Health Academic Program, did they require an interview? Or all you did were just submitting your application on CSU Mentor and sending your official transcripts to the school?

How long do they allow you to accept their offer?

Please let me know. Thank you =)

Nope, no interview. It is pretty relaxed. I have heard good things about the quality of the program esp Dr Wambuguh who oversees it.

I am still waiting to hear back, but that's because I haven't sent in my transcripts.

Email him directly at the address listed something like [email protected] .

I will update when I have more news. Good luck to all

Last edited:
Does anyone know how financial aid works for CSU East Bay? Process etc. I am assuming its the same for SFSU....

Hello everyone,

im applying to this program for fall 2011 as a career changer. i would love to hear from anybody that has been in the program since fall 2010 (e.g. in their formal program).

Does anyone know how financial aid works for CSU East Bay? Process etc. I am assuming its the same for SFSU....

I would like to know this as well since I was accepted into the program about a month ago. I already filed my FAFSA and I believe that should be enough as the information is sent to the program. If anybody else has information stating otherwise please let me know!

For those of you who got accepted to CSU-EB for Pre-Prof Health Academic Program, did they require an interview? Or all you did were just submitting your application on CSU Mentor and sending your official transcripts to the school?

How long do they allow you to accept their offer?

Please let me know. Thank you =)

As Idia previously stated, an interview is not required. Regarding how long they allow you to accept their offer, as far as I know there is not really a timeline. There was certainly no information in the acceptance packet I received. I hope I am not wrong about this as I have not submitted my intent to register yet. I kind of feel like a jerk contacting the department and saying that I am waiting to hear back from everybody before I make a decision. Does anybody have more information on this?

Hi All,

I am in the process of applying for FAll 2011 as an academic enhancer.

I read the previous post and people are saying the essay and interviews are not required. Is this true? If so, what do I put in the textbox for the essay in CSUmentor? What about the letter of recommendation? Are those required too? Also, another thing is how do the office know you want to apply to the academic enhancer instead of the career changer. WHen I was filling out the application on csumentor, they didn't have a selection for that.

How did you guys do it? Please give me some advice? Also, how selective are they? Did you get accepted after they processed everything? Are MCAT score required? Please help!

Last edited:
Hi All,

I'm part of the first Fall 2010 academic enhancer cohort. I believe Dr. Oscar hasn't posted the application for Fall 2011 yet. Letters of Rec are not required and neither are interviews. Dr. Oscar wasn't particularly selective for the first cohort. So far I really like the program but it is extremely expensive at 383 a unit with an average of 13 units per quarter. The only members in the class are people in the unit. The classes average about 25 people and it's really easy to get to know the professors. The professors are pretty fair and the classes are manageable. Academic enhancer classes are only on tuesdays and thursdays leaving time for jobs, internships, etc. Enrollment in the seminar is required. Med, Dent, Pharm, Opt representatives from different schools in the area give presentations during the seminar and. It's really informative and overall I would recommend this to anyone serious about improving their gpa.

@lemon87, do academic enhancers and career changers take some of the same classes, or get to mingle at all during seminars? I know that this is the first year the program has been formal, but how successful has the informal version been in the past? Do you know if they keep stats on their postbacs admission to med/dental/pharm/etc schools

Also, the application for Fall 2011 HAS come out. I applied early January and was admitted.

@lemon87, do academic enhancers and career changers take some of the same classes, or get to mingle at all during seminars? I know that this is the first year the program has been formal, but how successful has the informal version been in the past? Do you know if they keep stats on their postbacs admission to med/dental/pharm/etc schools

I don't believe they keep stats on the informal version but I'm sure you can email oscar and find out. The academic enhancers and career changers haven't taken any of the same classes together yet but they probably will next year when they begin taking upper division classes. There isn't much mingling going on during seminar because of the presentations going on. Sorry I'm not that helpful :(

[email protected] didn't work to inquire to the program. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, this is one of the few chains I can understand is clearly mostly about career changer programs so I'm going to capitalize:

GPA. 2.93 w/ BA in Foreign Affairs from UVA
SAT: 1350 ACT: 33
3 years out w/ strong resume but no direct med experience.

Do I put the money toward an application for this as career changer?

[email protected] didn't work to inquire to the program. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Also, this is one of the few chains I can understand is clearly mostly about career changer programs so I'm going to capitalize:

GPA. 2.93 w/ BA in Foreign Affairs from UVA
SAT: 1350 ACT: 33
3 years out w/ strong resume but no direct med experience.

Do I put the money toward an application for this as career changer?

The email didn't work...strange? As in, you got a bounce back? Or, nobody responded? Unless you got a bounce back, give them a few days... You can also email Dr. Wambuguh directly (his email is listed on the program's official website: http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/certificate/PreHealth/request_info.shtml). He's been very helpful and thorough in answering all my questions!

The formal program is new; I'm not sure how selective they are, so long as you have GPA greater than 2.50 (general CSU cut off gpa) from undergrad you're probably fine. Apply well before the deadline...it took them about 2 months to accept my application, even though I applied really early. I think the central admission office for CSUEB is very slow. Once your app passes their review it's sent to Pre-Health Post Bacc office and they make the final decision and notify you.

The application is done online through CSU Mentor... I think you have to pay $50.00.

hope that helps?

@Longcatislong: I was also accepted into the program about a month ago. Do you know if there is a time limit to how long one has to accept the universities offer of admission? I emailed Dr. Wambuguh about this a couple weeks ago and have yet to hear a response.

Thanks for the help.

I am considering this program. How is area around the campus? Is city pretty safe? are there things to do in Hayward? How far is the school from San Francisco?

Qwerty: Sorry, I don't know if there is a limit. I would call their office directly and ask. I would think sooner the better, so you can get started on getting finaid (if you need it) and figuring out the housing situation.

Kb: I went to undergrad at UC Berkeley, so I'm familiar with Berkeley/Oakland East Bay but not Hayward. From what I've heard though, the city of Hayward isn't the most exciting place. Again, I've never been there but I've heard that the campus is nice and safe, nestled away in the Hills, away from the actual city of Hayward. If you have a car, it's a very short commute to Oakland, Berkeley or SF (about 30 minutes?). If you don't have a car, then BART and AC transit are cheap, safe and reliable (especially BART. if you plan on heading into the city, don't drive, take BART, so much faster and you don't get the expensive headache of finding parking!). The East Bay is generally pretty cool. It's cheaper to live here, the weather is nicer than in San Fran and, like i said earlier, it's close to the city by car or public transit.

Last edited:
@Longcatislong: How long did it take for you to get the acceptance letter? I just sent my csu mentor application on Monday, March 28th. I check the application fee waiver, so I'm not sure if I have to pay yet. What did you do? Did you pay for it or checked the fee waiver checkbox?

Also, I just sent my official transcripts today (fri, April 1st). I called Nelli on Monday, March 28th and she told me after you submit your application, in 1-2 weeks, you should receive an application packet with your net ID. Is that true? How long did it take you to receive yours. 1 week has pass for me, I'm still waiting for the packet. >_<

@Lemon87: What classes did you take for your fall, winter, and spring quarters? Also, is it a 2 year program, or can you finish and get your certificate after 1 year? Do you have to take summer classes too?

this might be a dumb question but do we send transcripts after we submit? or we send in transcripts and wait few days then submit

this might be a dumb question but do we send transcripts after we submit? or we send in transcripts and wait few days then submit

Its not a dumb question. Well, not to me because I read a lot of responses here on this page, where applicants submit their official transcripts 3 times because the office keeps losing them.

I submit my official transcripts together (i have 2 because I took 1 class at a community college during the summer before I started my freshman year at the UC). I submit them after I submit the application and also have a delivery confirmation and stuff on it so I can track it.

A student told me, that she applied to an abroad program online and they told her they never received her application. Luckily she have the delivery confirmation on it so they were able to find it.

Are you applying as an academic enhancer or career changer? I'm still waiting for the results. I hope I'll get in though =/

As Idia previously stated, an interview is not required. Regarding how long they allow you to accept their offer, as far as I know there is not really a timeline. There was certainly no information in the acceptance packet I received. I hope I am not wrong about this as I have not submitted my intent to register yet. I kind of feel like a jerk contacting the department and saying that I am waiting to hear back from everybody before I make a decision. Does anybody have more information on this?

I called Nellie, and all she told me is that once you get your packet, there's an intent to register you have to fill out and send to Dr. Hoffman walker so you can register for classes. She says if you don't fill it out, the graduate program won't know that you're accepted. Something like that. I hope that helps.

I called Nellie, and all she told me is that once you get your packet, there's an intent to register you have to fill out and send to Dr. Hoffman walker so you can register for classes. She says if you don't fill it out, the graduate program won't know that you're accepted. Something like that. I hope that helps.

You can also submit the intent to register online at MyCSUEB.

Also, yes, CSUEB's grad admissions office is notoriously unorganized. I ended up sending my transcripts twice, just in case. I'm not sure if they actually lost my transcripts, or if they just took their sweet time in getting to my application, but it took them about 2 months to get back to me after I sent in my transcripts and submitted my online CSU Mentor App.

@Longcatislong: How long did it take for you to get the acceptance letter? I just sent my csu mentor application on Monday, March 28th. I check the application fee waiver, so I'm not sure if I have to pay yet. What did you do? Did you pay for it or checked the fee waiver checkbox?

Also, I just sent my official transcripts today (fri, April 1st). I called Nelli on Monday, March 28th and she told me after you submit your application, in 1-2 weeks, you should receive an application packet with your net ID. Is that true? How long did it take you to receive yours. 1 week has pass for me, I'm still waiting for the packet. >_<

Yeah, wait a little while and you'll get a packet w/ a net id to log into your student account (may be more than three weeks per my experience).

Hello,

I'm new to this thread but I found it through Google and it has provided great information. I'm currently applying to the CSUEB program and I was contemplating if I should submit my application now or later. I'm currently finishing coursework at Cal but my gpa is only at a 2.88 right now but since I'm doing pretty well this semester I should be able to boost it up by a .1 or maybe even higher. Should I wait or just submit it now? Thanks for any advice.

Hi, have any of you guys decided on your living situation or looked into it? I'll be doing the academic enhancement route starting fall I'm debating doing student housing but that runs me the risk of potentially living with undergrads that plan on doing everything BUT studying=/ or living off campus and dealing with finding possible roommates. Thoughts?

Hi, have any of you guys decided on your living situation or looked into it? I'll be doing the academic enhancement route starting fall I'm debating doing student housing but that runs me the risk of potentially living with undergrads that plan on doing everything BUT studying=/ or living off campus and dealing with finding possible roommates. Thoughts?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma myself regarding the living situation. I'm certain I will not be living in campus housing--I definitely do not want to live with undergrads. After all, we postbacs have to be very focused on our academics! My dilemma is whether I should move to Hayward, to be within walking or biking distance of campus, OR if I should move somewhere more lively like Oakland or Berkeley and drive to campus. I've gotten the impression that Hayward is a bit drab. Is anybody thinking of doing the same (that is, living in Oakland, Berkeley, Albany/El Cerrito) and driving/perhaps carpooling to CSUEB? It's about a 30 min drive.

MissDoctor88, there is a csueb postbac group of FB you could check out, I know some of the current postbacs connected there are and found apartments/houses for rent together. Maybe once the cohort beginning of Fall '11 has enough people, we can all connect and figure out a housing situation? just a thought. I guess there are plenty of affordable housing options around the east bay area, it's just a matter of finding non-crazies to live with ;) lol

Longcatislong thanks so much for the input! I guess once more people figure out whether they're doing the program and where they'll be living we'll be able to figure out our own situation! Would you mind linking the FB group? I can't find it! I DEFINITELY need to find the non-crazies lol