CSUDH Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank yoU! I applied first week of October... I even called SJSU and spoke to them and asked if they could just tell me if they even made a DECISION on my app yet (i know they might not be able to tell me if i'm accepted or not) and they still told me they can't disclose that to me and I just have to wait.

I am very grateful to be able to attend a masters program at all, so I don't want to send the wrong message, but SJSU is just my number 1 choice... if it's meant to be I will hear from them this week. If not, CSUDH will be my home!

Is it possible to put a deposit at CSU and if you get into SJSU tell CSU you changed your mind and lose you deposit?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to put a deposit at CSU and if you get into SJSU tell CSU you changed your mind and lose you deposit?

I actually spoke to CSUDH and there is no deposit required which is great. But, I'd still feel terribly guilty if I waited too long and they weren't able to offer my seat up to another candidate on the wait list... I am praying I hear SOMETHING from SJ this week.

I actually spoke to CSUDH and there is no deposit required which is great. But, I'd still feel terribly guilty if I waited too long and they weren't able to offer my seat up to another candidate on the wait list... I am praying I hear SOMETHING from SJ this week.

Understandable. Good luck and congrats on getting into at least 1 program :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank yoU! I applied first week of October... I even called SJSU and spoke to them and asked if they could just tell me if they even made a DECISION on my app yet (i know they might not be able to tell me if i'm accepted or not) and they still told me they can't disclose that to me and I just have to wait.

I am very grateful to be able to attend a masters program at all, so I don't want to send the wrong message, but SJSU is just my number 1 choice... if it's meant to be I will hear from them this week. If not, CSUDH will be my home!
Upon hearing that you and others got their letter, I went down to my lobby and I got my official letter as well!

Legrev, I was wondering if you and others on this forum could help me with my decision? I got accepted to both schools and I am really leaning towards CSUDH because it's close to family and friends and more convenient for me (no relocation), but I would actually like to possibly teach/do research in the future. Would going to a better ranked (in the reports)/more well known program (SJSU) help me in the future? If I was to just be a practitioner, it wouldn't matter where I went because both programs are great. If anyone could offer any insight, that would be helpful. Thanks.

I got my acceptance letter today too! yay! I will be there- I only applied to CSUDH. Hope to meet some of you guys in Jan! Congrats!

kiwilicious- thats a great question, not sure of the answer myself, but I'm guessing that attending SJ over CSUDH would not make much of a difference. Sounds like you would be happier at CUSDH due to location, so if I were you, I would go there.

sounds like people are receiving acceptance letters, anyone receive a rejection/waitlist letter yet?

kiwilicious- thats a great question, not sure of the answer myself, but I'm guessing that attending SJ over CSUDH would not make much of a difference. Sounds like you would be happier at CUSDH due to location, so if I were you, I would go there.

sounds like people are receiving acceptance letters, anyone receive a rejection/waitlist letter yet?
Thanks Hillary, I think you are right. I went away for undergrad because I wanted to move far away from my parents and now it's the opposite. haha I actually want to stay close to them so I think I probably will be happier here.

You got accepted to both programs as well right? I was reading the forums and it looks like you did and that you are attending SJSU over CSUDH? If so, would you mind sharing what your reasons are for choosing SJSU over CSUDH?

Taken from US News graduate school ranking website:

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline."

Rankings are determined by peer assessments. I would have thought that rankings are determined by results upon graduation (student job status, salary, satisfaction, preparedness for the work field). Instead, I feel like its based on reputation and what the various deans/administrators think of each other and their programs. As a result, I don't put that much stock into the rankings.

Don't neglect CSUDH because you feel that it will not prepare you for research. We definitely have coursework for qualitative and quantitative research. I also know one of my classmates is interested in going into research and has been researching/asking professors about the process for a PhD since her first semester.

I'm with you on the location issue! I also went to undergrad really far from home, and now I want to go to San Jose because it's close to my parents/where I live now. I probably didn't get into CSUDH because I haven't received a letter yet, but that is totally ok since I got accepted to SJ, my first choice.

I'm with you on the location issue! I also went to undergrad really far from home, and now I want to go to San Jose because it's close to my parents/where I live now. I probably didn't get into CSUDH because I haven't received a letter yet, but that is totally ok since I got accepted to SJ, my first choice.

Hillary, I would be really surprised if you didn't get accepted to CSUDH since I think SJSU has more requirements (AWA 4.5 and 100 hours volunteer). But if it's your first choice anyway, that's all that matters :) congratulations!

Hey Resot -- Thanks for your the information about the rankings. Sadly, I think that our society is somewhat built on rankings. Sometimes we judge people or have a preconceived notion a person's background/personality based on what school they went to or what their career is. Anyway, I think all the things you said was great - a program should be graded on students ability to pass the NBCOT, be great practitioners, student job status/satisfaction and ETC.

I went to a school that was pretty researched based, so I'm glad to hear that CSUDH has some research.

Do you happen to know when CSUDH got accredited? How do you like the program so far???

xkiwilicious- Did your status on MYSJSU change before you got your letter?

Unfortunately, you are correct, Kiwi! However, (IMO) the difference between SJSU and CSUDH is negligible when it comes to prestige concerning research. Now, if we were comparing CSUDH with USC, that's a whole other matter.

Here's another way to look at it: CSUDH is located relatively close to USC. As a result, if you go to OT events in the area, you have the opportunity to meet the great OT individuals at USC without paying USC tuition. Just last month, there was a summit on Autism at the Skirball museum. There were numerous speakers, all who are heavily invested in research concerning autism. One of the speakers was Florence Clark, president of AOTA and a member of USC faculty. There are also a few USC professors who provide guest lectures for us at CSUDH.

Either way, you will end up in a great school and will be well on your way to be an OT. Congrats on having the option to choose from either school.

I do not know the exact date for CSUDH accreditation. The upcoming Jan class will be Cohort 9. But even before that, CSUDH offered a bachelor's program for OT when that was the only requirement. I think one of our guest lecturers said she was a CSUDH OT graduate from 13? 17? years ago. If you are concerned, feel free to email Terry and ask. She is wonderful.

I enjoy the program so far, but I'm bias. :) Message me if you have further questions.

Hey Resot -- Thanks for your the information about the rankings. Sadly, I think that our society is somewhat built on rankings. Sometimes we judge people or have a preconceived notion a person's background/personality based on what school they went to or what their career is. Anyway, I think all the things you said was great - a program should be graded on students ability to pass the NBCOT, be great practitioners, student job status/satisfaction and ETC.

I went to a school that was pretty researched based, so I'm glad to hear that CSUDH has some research.

Do you happen to know when CSUDH got accredited? How do you like the program so far???

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, you are correct, Kiwi! However, (IMO) the difference between SJSU and CSUDH is negligible when it comes to prestige concerning research. Now, if we were comparing CSUDH with USC, that's a whole other matter.

Here's another way to look at it: CSUDH is located relatively close to USC. As a result, if you go to OT events in the area, you have the opportunity to meet the great OT individuals at USC without paying USC tuition. Just last month, there was a summit on Autism at the Skirball museum. There were numerous speakers, all who are heavily invested in research concerning autism. One of the speakers was Florence Clark, president of AOTA and a member of USC faculty. There are also a few USC professors who provide guest lectures for us at CSUDH.

Either way, you will end up in a great school and will be well on your way to be an OT. Congrats on having the option to choose from either school.

I do not know the exact date for CSUDH accreditation. The upcoming Jan class will be Cohort 9. But even before that, CSUDH offered a bachelor's program for OT when that was the only requirement. I think one of our guest lecturers said she was a CSUDH OT graduate from 13? 17? years ago. If you are concerned, feel free to email Terry and ask. She is wonderful.

I enjoy the program so far, but I'm bias. :) Message me if you have further questions.
thanks resot for all the information. I've decided on CSUDH :) I was going to apply to USC but only if I didn't get into csudh or sjsu because I can't afford the tuition/am willing to take out so much in loans. It would be great to go there, but its out of my financial reach. it's nice to know that the students get some interaction with students from neighboring schools.

Thanks for congratulating me :) Congrats to you on your accomplishments so far!

I actually read somewhere that csudh was accredited for the masters in 2005 and yes, had a bachelors of OT program. I might message you for more information/ questions, but thanks for the help so far :)

No, I just got a letter from the department in the mail

Okay, thanks for the info! Looks like I am attending CSUDH as well, since I have not heard from SJSU yet. I just mailed out my acceptance form!

Cheers to Cohort 9; class of 2015! :highfive:

Received my rejection letter from CSUDH yesterday. Bummed! Going to take the year to increase my GPA and try again next year. :(

To the last poster, don't give up! A year is quite a bit of time to garner up experience and prepare yourself for applying again.

I got my acceptance letter last week and also have mailed in the form. I'm excited (albeit a bit nervous!) to begin and am really looking forward to meeting all you wonderful folks here who will also be starting at CSUDH in January.

I spoke with a therapist I shadowed about the difference between graduating from DH in comparison to a prestigious school like USC. Her response was simple and cleared everything up for me: "Where you graduate from will determine your first job, every job after will completely depend on you- your attitude and experience."

Hi! I got accepted into cohort 9 for CSUDH OT! Congrats on the other people that got in :) I'm trying to figure out where to live in there area... I don't want to live too close to school as I hear it's not the nicest area, but I don't want to live in a place too pricey either. Any suggestions? I'm from the bay area and not too familiar with the area.. also if there's anyone in my incoming cohort in need of a roommate let me know! :)

What other forums are people commenting on? Just curious.

My stats are:

Undergrad: UC Riverside, BS Sociology
Undergrad GPA: 3.7
Pre req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Cum score 310, Writing 4
Volunteering: 130 hours at a pediatric clinic + OTR 495
Work experience: 2 years as a Behavioral Therapist working with children with Autism. And 7+ years of "loosely related" experience in medical and disability case mgmt.

I know my GRE score wasn't great. I wanted to retake it but ran out of time due to personal circumstances this year. Such is life. I didn't think it was THAT bad though.

Hi! I recently applied to CSUDH and I was not accepted. I have a 100 hours in volunteering but I'm also thinking of taking OTR 495. This way I can spend more time increasing my GRE scores and GPA over the next year.

When you were taking OTR 495 how often and how long was the class throughout the week?

I'm going to give it one more try before I go the private school route.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi OT2013CA! I took the OT 495 course and it's only once a week in the evenings. I'm not sure if they've changed this since then, but it is a very easy course not meant to challenge as much as introduce you to the field. I was glad to have taken it because it also gave me the opportunity to connect with other applicants and faculty (the semester I took it there was only 10 of us in the class).

Any other accepted CSUDH-ers waiting to get the email? On the letter it states that once the school receives our acceptance of the offer, we're supposed to receive an email from the admin assistant explaining how to register for classes and such.

Looking forward to seeing you all this coming January! :)

I made a facebook group for those in the cohort 9 group for everyone to connect easily. Just look up "CSUDH OT cohort 9" in facebook and you should be able to get to it and join. :)

I made a facebook group for those in the cohort 9 group for everyone to connect easily. Just look up "CSUDH OT cohort 9" in facebook and you should be able to get to it and join. :)
I searched for the group on FB, but nothing showed up, are you sure you didn't make it unaccessible to search options?

Hi OT2013CA! I took the OT 495 course and it's only once a week in the evenings. I'm not sure if they've changed this since then, but it is a very easy course not meant to challenge as much as introduce you to the field. I was glad to have taken it because it also gave me the opportunity to connect with other applicants and faculty (the semester I took it there was only 10 of us in the class).

Any other accepted CSUDH-ers waiting to get the email? On the letter it states that once the school receives our acceptance of the offer, we're supposed to receive an email from the admin assistant explaining how to register for classes and such.

Thank you for the information about OT 495! :)

it's not coming up in my search options. I can see all the other FB Cohort groups - 5,6,7 and 8 but not 9

I changed it from closed to open yesterday.. I guess it takes a few days for FB to approve it and it to show up in search.. so should be there soon hopefully!

Hi! I recently applied to CSUDH and I was not accepted. I have a 100 hours in volunteering but I'm also thinking of taking OTR 495. This way I can spend more time increasing my GRE scores and GPA over the next year.

When you were taking OTR 495 how often and how long was the class throughout the week?

I'm going to give it one more try before I go the private school route.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sorry... haven't been on here in awhile. Yes, OTR 495 was one weeknight per week for a semester (as another posted said), for about 3 hours. It was well worth it! Not difficult, but lots of awesome speakers from a variety of OT settings.

Hi, did you take it Fall 2011? My class was small (I believe it was the first time it was offered). Maybe I know you?

Anyway, I was also curious if anyone has heard anything about the registration process. I emailed Sam this morning to see if he could tell me when we might expect the email....no response yet.

Can't wait to begin!

Hello everyone! Congrats to all of my fellow cohort 9 peers at CSUDH. I called Sam and received a voicemail back about 3 days ago saying that nothing has been sent out about registration, but that we should expect something shortly. Unfortunately I wasn't given a date or more details than that. Has anyone heard from financial aid? Also, is anyone having luck finding the fb page for cohort 9? I've been checking daily and still can't find it. One last thing! I'm curious if anyone is looking to get a house/apartment with some OT students closer to campus. I currently live in Costa Mesa and it's not too far, but I'm thinking about moving to cut my commute. Can't wait to get to know you guys and get started!

Hello everyone! Congrats to all of my fellow cohort 9 peers at CSUDH. I called Sam and received a voicemail back about 3 days ago saying that nothing has been sent out about registration, but that we should expect something shortly. Unfortunately I wasn't given a date or more details than that. Has anyone heard from financial aid? Also, is anyone having luck finding the fb page for cohort 9? I've been checking daily and still can't find it. One last thing! I'm curious if anyone is looking to get a house/apartment with some OT students closer to campus. I currently live in Costa Mesa and it's not too far, but I'm thinking about moving to cut my commute. Can't wait to get to know you guys and get started!
Hello cohort 9 friends :) I can't believe the program is going to start in a month! excited to meet you all soon.

OT312, I called financial aid today and they said that as long as you have FAFSA in, just check my.csudh and the award should show up when its ready. I've also been checking the fb page for cohort 9 but it hasn't been showing up either.

I've been looking for housing too because LA traffic is pretty crazy in the mornings. Has everyone already settled on where they're living?

just got the email from Sam about registration!

OT312--- I'll be coming form south orange county (Lake Forest) and it's quite a drive for me... but still don't want to have to worry about moving closer (I am rent free at my parents house!) I want to consider putting together a carpool maybe we could work out with us and a few others from OC? Anyone else coming from South OC? Irvine? Mission Viejo?

:laugh:is anyone elsea little confused by Sam's email? From what I can tell, all of my sections are 2 (my last name begins with 'M') but there are some weird groupings on the calendar (ex. OTR 504 Sec 1 (A/H-Lam) and OTR 504 Sec 2 Lams- N/Z). I was guessing that Lam and Lams are last names but then why wouldn't it make more sense to say "Lams-Z". Maybe I am reading into this too much but I just want to be sure I know what I am supposed to be registering for. If I am missing something, please explain what it is :) Also, his email says there is a course with only one section but I don't see if on the calendar....what am I not understanding?? help.

:laugh:is anyone elsea little confused by Sam's email? From what I can tell, all of my sections are 2 (my last name begins with 'M') but there are some weird groupings on the calendar (ex. OTR 504 Sec 1 (A/H-Lam) and OTR 504 Sec 2 Lams- N/Z). I was guessing that Lam and Lams are last names but then why wouldn't it make more sense to say "Lams-Z". Maybe I am reading into this too much but I just want to be sure I know what I am supposed to be registering for. If I am missing something, please explain what it is :) Also, his email says there is a course with only one section but I don't see if on the calendar....what am I not understanding?? help.

I am just as confused as you.. his wording in his email is not very intuitive... super confused but when I opened the document with the schedule, certain classes were bold/highlighted so I'm just assuming those are the ones for me. I also do not see the class with one section, supposedly from A-Z....

2 things for you C9ers to keep in mind!

1. If you are looking for a carpool, you will need to make sure it is with people in your section. If you live further out (like I do), you might also want to look for people who are "along your route" that you can meet/pick up partway. No one from my section lives out in my neck of the woods, so I pick up my carpool halfway to school.

2. Don't worry about the schedule being weird/confusing. This is typical. The c8 schedule still has kinks the admin have to work out. And yes, those should be last names. However, if you are a person who is at the border between 2 sections, don't be surprised if you end up being changed to a different section even up to the second day of classes. Between last minute drops/wait list adds, the names that divide the sections should change. That's probably why Sam put the confusing A/H and N/Z on there. And legrev, if I remember correctly, we C8 did not have a class during our first semester that had our whole cohort together. So that one class Sam is talking about might be an error.

And one more thing! I'm interested in selling two of my textbooks from Semester 1. I will price them competitively since I just want to get them off my hands. One book is for OTR 506 and the other 502. Message me if you're interested.

Jacsan, if my memory serves me right I took the class Spring '12. Just missed you by a semester!

If you guys haven't already, the FB book swap group is a good place to start looking for cheaper alternatives for books. :)

Hi, Congrats to all of you who got in :). I have books for OTR 502 (Occupational Therapy First 30 Years, & Professional Legacy: The Eleanor Clarke Slagle Lectures in OT. ) & OTR 504 if anyone is looking to buy (or rent) them..you can go ahead and message me on here & I can send you all the information. See you guys in January!

OT312--- I'll be coming form south orange county (Lake Forest) and it's quite a drive for me... but still don't want to have to worry about moving closer (I am rent free at my parents house!) I want to consider putting together a carpool maybe we could work out with us and a few others from OC? Anyone else coming from South OC? Irvine? Mission Viejo?

I also live at home rent free and would love to set up a carpooling system to save even more. Since classes are based on last name, are you or anyone else taking the same classes as me? My last name is Thompson. Perhaps we can set something up to take turns driving to school. Let me know!

I also live at home rent free and would love to set up a carpooling system to save even more. Since classes are based on last name, are you or anyone else taking the same classes as me? My last name is Thompson. Perhaps we can set something up to take turns driving to school. Let me know!

My last name starts with a V so I believe we are in the same sections!

To anyone in Cohorts 7 & 8 that may be on here....I was told that this link http://www.aota.org/Practitioners/Resources/Slagle.aspx provides most all of the lectures in Professional Legacy: The Eleanor Clarke Slagle lectures in OT. It does indeed have about the same number of lectures noted in the description of the text. Can anyone else confirm or deny this? Would be nice to save a few dollars.
Thanks!

Anyone for the 2014 cycle applying to CSUDH?

i'm applying~

does anyone know if you have to send GRE to BOTH ot department & csu mentor???? or just to OT department?

how are you guys handling observation hours over required 80hrs? especially if the observation/volunteer was done in various facilities?

i've done 80hrs in all one setting and received a LOR from the OT there. However i did more in different settings, but not sure how to document those or if i should even bother.

i'm not sure if CSUDH doesn't care about the variety of the obs/vol setting as long as the student did 80hrs or more.

anyone knows?

Send official GRE score report to CSU mentor and a photo copy of your GRE score report in the application packet with your 3 LORs and copies of all transcripts and whatever else is on the checklist to the OT department. All official transcripts get sent to CSU mentor as well. Good luck.

gemut,

i thought OT department wanted only transcripts on the checklist, which is from where you received BA/BS & where you took pre-req's from. no?

From what Terry Peralta said at the information session I attended in June, having the GRE score copy will make the admission committee work easier. It's easy enough to include it, so that's what I am doing.

You are right about the transcripts. Include only the undergrad degree and the source of prerequisite transcripts.