CTOR Academy Orthodontics Program is accepting applications for July 1, 2022 enrollment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any financial advisor that tells you don't worry about debt limits and just keep accruing whatever debt and pay it throughout your life is not a financial advisor.

That person is not going to be paying your $3000/month+ minimum payments. If you break your leg and cant work for a few months, that person is not going to step in and make sure you are making your payments. Honestly, I am shocked that you took them seriously.

To normalize paying off education debt for 30 years "like a mortgage" tells me how far you have stepped away from reality. The cost of this program is horrible and to think that only children of wealthy families or that have found wealth from other means makes this even worse.
Lol DONT believe @Love orthodontics

I’m telling you they work for the program, no financial advisor would give that advice. In fact, I’ve heard orthodontic startups have been having trouble from banks getting a startup loan due to the poor return of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Since you are curious, I did freak out after Dental School about my education debt and the crushing feeling that I would never be able to pay it back. Then, true story, a financial adviser contacted me. He must have found my contact info in some Dental School graduate list or something like that. He offered a free consultation and we had a very interesting and long conversation. He changed my view on debt and honestly, my career goals.

He asked "why are you so obsessed about paying off your debt as soon as possible? You education loans have a low interest, lower than any other loan you might try to obtain in life."
He explained that if I was going to do everything I wanted to do in my life, without a rich family member to back me up, I would most likely accumulate much more debt: if I bought my own practice, if I specialized, if I bought a house...
And when I asked "when am I supposed to pay all that debt?" he replied "over the rest of your life..."
He said "you will travel, you may even start family, and invest... while slowly paying off your debt"

I don't care who Big Hoss thinks I am. I do take advice seriously, specially from people that have already done what I want to do.
And when it comes to orthodontics, I am yet to meet an orthodontists that advises me not to take that path.

When I heard about CTOR program accreditation I came here for advice. But the discussion has not been very helpful.
Like I said, I already have a financial adviser!

I am not stupid, I know it is a very competitive field. So while you continue to discuss here if the ortho specialty tuition is fair or not, I am going to apply to CTOR program before they get 300 other candidates!

To answer fermi555 question, I do not have a limit because I am not afraid of debt if it allows me to do what I love to do.
My current education debt is over $200K.
Anyway... I plan to pay that and the ortho tuition, if I get in, over the next 30 years. You know? Just like a mortgage.
Do you have 300k in cash to pay for the program?

Reactions: 1 user
It’s obvious this thread is a shill for CTOR and love orthodontics is somehow associated.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
7175D0BC-9D72-4180-9D37-656ED0185D25.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Of course I am applying for CTOR program, and I could still start this summer if accepted...
They got accredited by CODA and their faculty are very impressive. I do not see any scam there.
But talking about scam...I will definitely not choose a large/factory style program.

Cost of PG training is a big issue, but isn't that the same for other specialties?
I am set on a career in orthodontics, just need to figure out how to get there. It is sooooo competitive to get into a Ortho program.
I have 3 friends that became orthodontists and seem very happy about their career.
The first years after they opened their practice were difficult, but they all also work part-time in other practices while building their own.
I could do the same.
Did you also complete your translational Orthodontics fellowship at CTOR?

That’s because I’m a pediatric dentist. I was joking about starting a program with some orthodontists to make fat stacks of cash...or was was I joking?

Any “legitimate” ortho program probably has better and more established faculty than CTOR. If I were you, I would look for a program at an actual university if you’re serious about your education.

Big Hoss
I got the joke. It was quite funny lol

Which is why I said anyone that does this program is dumb. When you have the founder, dean, or whatever come on here and say “hey come join my program. Pay me $300,000 and you’ll have an ortho certificate!” It just seems like a scam like someone is trying to sell ice to eskimos. Ask yourself: how great can being an orthodontist be if you have people with financial interests actively recruiting you to pay them. Realize they are making profits off of you. Ortho is not worth it DONT listen to them or charlestweed, he also graduated in a different time.
Going to this program is not worth it. Becoming an orthodontist absolutely is, assuming you're not going to ridiculously expensive programs for dental school and residency. I went to an in state dental school and am now at a public 2 year ortho program finishing up my first year. Despite the exhausting readings and presentations we have to do on top of patient care and appliance fabrication, I am so much more at peace than I was doing similar things in the last 2 years of dental school. All of the 2nd year residents in my program had no issues finding jobs and interviewed at multiple places until they found a contract and location that they liked. Ortho isn't what it was 20 years ago, but it's far from the doom and gloom that is displayed on SDN

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys,

Did anyone that interviewed at CTOR hear back or did they give out all their acceptances already? We were told early April we would hear, but haven’t heard from them.