CUSOM vs. LECOM-B (Poll/Pros/Cons)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you suggest?

• LECOM-B

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • CUSOM

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

docisthegoal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am very happy to have been accepted to both of these fine schools. I am having an extremely hard time deciding between Campbell and LECOM though - I guess this is good stress? At certain past points in time I was set on both schools, but I think I'm just second guessing myself now. I know a few similar posts have been made in the past but I would like to note the pro/con list I have made and see if any current/prospective students would like to agree/disagree/add anything.

LECOM:
Pros:
* Established with good match rates and <2% attrition rate
* ~30k a year (I'm IS) to total about 138k with interest come graduation (paying for living with other funds)
* Use standardized patients
* PBL - I like this method
Cons:
* No SIM Lab
* Shaky rotation placements (I'm okay with rotating in PA or NY though so not a huge con)
* Disconnected faculty/student relations
*** Feel like this is the right place to go because of stats, match rates, and cheaper tuition

CUSOM:
Pros:
*Part of an established university that is well known in the Carolina's
* Use standardized patients
* State-of-art SIM Lab
* Rotations will not be shaky
*Great faculty/student relations
* Cheap living in the area
Cons:
*~43k a year to total about 196k with interest come graduation (living with other funds)
*Although a part of an established university, only in its 3rd year of running so unknown match rates
* Class all day (not large con to me though)
***I can't get Campbell off my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow this post is like the story of my life, these past few days, Although I feel LECOM-B is the school for me, I cant get Campbell of of my minds either, its crazy, and I am still torn. I am also very interested on other people's input as well!

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a scholarship to CUSOM, definitely go to CUSOM. If not, then I would choose LECOM instead, and hope that I don't get shafted during rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a scholarship to CUSOM, definitely go to CUSOM. If not, then I would choose LECOM instead, and hope that I don't get shafted during rotations.
Thanks, yeah I believe I will be making this decision since I didn't receive a scholarship from CUSOM! LECOM is a good school despite the complaining about rotations so I am happy to have been given this choice.

Thanks, yeah I believe I will be making this decision since I didn't receive a scholarship from CUSOM! LECOM is a good school despite the complaining about rotations so I am happy to have been given this choice.

Good decision, i just sent my deposit to LECOM B:)!

Is all day class at CUSOM mandatory? If yes, I would stay away. Time spent in lecture is not active studying and you are going to have to put in a lot of additional study time outside of lecture. People aren't against mandatory lecture because they are too lazy to go to campus.. It's because you won't have enough hours in the day to actually learn everything.

Is all day class at CUSOM mandatory? If yes, I would stay away. Time spent in lecture is not active studying and you are going to have to put in a lot of additional study time outside of lecture. People aren't against mandatory lecture because they are too lazy to go to campus.. It's because you won't have enough hours in the day to actually learn everything.
What you have mentioned is also a reason I am attracted to LECOM and will be putting down a deposit once my letter comes in the mail. Having the extra time to actively study on my own and in groups when necessary with PBL is important to me. Also, it will give me an hour or two to relax each day - hopefully eventually.

What you have mentioned is also a reason I am attracted to LECOM and will be putting down a deposit once my letter comes in the mail. Having the extra time to actively study on my own and in groups when necessary with PBL is important to me. Also, it will give me an hour or two to relax each day - hopefully eventually.

Exactly. I struggled just to do average in anatomy because we were in class all day long, and there wasn't enough time for me to study. Since anatomy has ended and PBL started, I have been making As on every exam in every course. I can study for 8-12hrs a day as needed, and still have time to cook dinner and watch a movie. You obviously need to put in the time to study, but you also need to take time for yourself to make sure you are staying healthy and happy. LECOM has its problems with our administration and rotations, but I'm not sure that I would be doing as well in a lecture based school.

Welcome to the family btw :)