2022-2023 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM-Bradenton)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This might be a dumb question, but when the interview email says that the asynchronous interview needs to be completely by the date of the info session, does that mean before that date? Or the end of the day of? I kind of figured since the info session is 12-3 that I could do the interview in the morning. Am I wrong? Thank you in advance, friends 🙏🏻
You could, but if you have computer problems then you have an issue. Just do it a day or two before. Whats the big deal doing that?

Members don't see this ad.

You could, but if you have computer problems then you have an issue. Just do it a day or two before. Whats the big deal doing that?
No “big deal” just am really busy so haven’t had a whole lot of time to prep and am gonna take that whole day off work anyway. Makes sense to do it the day of since most schools normally do a full interview day anyway so that’s what I’m used to. Thanks for the info.

Have an info session next week. Are they still accepting people or am I just interviewing for an Alternative list spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
got the A two days ago after my portal changed to the 14 days message! declining it, hope it goes to another one of you! just wanted to mention this because I did my info session back in November and thought I was never going to hear back but they did so if you're in the same boat: the waiting game is hell but I really hope everything works out :))

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone! Got waitlisted back in October. Anyone know more or less how much movement occurs? Is it ranked or Unranked ?

Just checked my portal and got a 30 day decision pre-ii :/ so much waiting for a rejection lol

Got an asynchronous interview invite yesterday. My first time doing an asynchronous interview and I wanted to ask if any of you may have advice as to how I should approach. Are these like MMI questions or just basic personal questions that I should just have prepared? Any other tips for practicing this style of interview would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the feedback in advance!

Got an asynchronous interview invite yesterday. My first time doing an asynchronous interview and I wanted to ask if any of you may have advice as to how I should approach. Are these like MMI questions or just basic personal questions that I should just have prepared? Any other tips for practicing this style of interview would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the feedback in advance!
I would know the questions posted on the SDN “common questions” page, as well as write down or more specific highlights of activities or experiences you’ve had. It’s low stress and feels weird talking to yourself for 10 minutes but it’ll be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
I would know the questions posted on the SDN “common questions” page, as well as write down or more specific highlights of activities or experiences you’ve had. It’s low stress and feels weird talking to yourself for 10 minutes but it’ll be fine!
Thanks a ton!

Hey can someone tell me what exactly the information session is? Ive signed up for my date but I have not gotten any email confirmation or info about what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey can someone tell me what exactly the information session is? Ive signed up for my date but I have not gotten any email confirmation or info about what it is.
legit just an info session where they give info on the school

• Haha
Also heads-up, apparently they record the information sessions so they know who attends, who's paying attention, etc. I got this information by asking the admissions office directly a few weeks back!

Also heads-up, apparently they record the information sessions so they know who attends, who's paying attention, etc. I got this information by asking the admissions office directly a few weeks back!
Ohhh thank you im prone to not give a frick about that stuff

Does anyone know how waitlist movement will be (and particularly this year)?

Hi everyone. Does anyone know about the current rotation site options ?

Can someone clarify is there is really a difference in waitlist and alternative list? Are either ranked? Which gets pulled from first?

Can someone clarify is there is really a difference in waitlist and alternative list? Are either ranked? Which gets pulled from first?
They’re the same. And I’m not sure about ranked but it’s definitely not chronological order of placement so maybe it’s matching demographics? Not sure on that end. I was the first info session and was waitlisted so i asked if they pull chronologically or not and they said no.

They’re the same. And I’m not sure about ranked but it’s definitely not chronological order of placement so maybe it’s matching demographics? Not sure on that end. I was the first info session and was waitlisted so i asked if they pull chronologically or not and they said no.
Thanks for the info! What do you mean by matching demographics?

Thanks for the info! What do you mean by matching demographics?
Like MCAT score/GPA. I also heard from Erie admissions rep that they’ll sometimes pull from where a student is the closer we get to classes starting. They said they were pulling people closer to July that lived closer because the odds they would be more able to move quickly was higher. I’m guessing the same applies to Bradenton.

I was told LECOM-Bradenton met up end of February (on the last day) to discuss admissions for the next batch as well as some people getting off the WL. It's been 2 week since then, but I expect them to be somewhat sending out responses soon.

Also, it's a one-time case, but apparently someone received their acceptance in the email AFTER the 2-week deposit period so they weren't able to put down a deposit for LECOM nor consider it as an option. This may speak on their time schedule and how deliberately messy their admissions process is.

LECOM is notorious for stuff like that, pretty known stuff and fairly common for them, personally cannot thrive in such an environment
Could you link it? I am not certain which aspects you guys are referring to

LECOM also planning to open its 5th campus at Jacksonville University with an intended incoming class of 75 students, then increasing up to 150 students over the course of 5 years. It sounds heavy for-profit to me...

I think this school has a ton of red flags that made me personally want to avoid it. Absolutely no hate and not trying to upset current students, but definitely not my cup of tea!

Woah I haven’t heard about that until now…. How many campuses are they going to keep opening
Florida has it pretty bad. Orlando is opening its own DO school, too. “Orlando College of Osteopathic Medicine (OCOM)” is what it’s called. Florida is close to having its rotation sites packed more than your average Disney World lines.

This is so scary. There’s a lot of factors people need to consider now. Rotation sites will be a war lol
It’s going to be a huge consideration as these schools are expected to open around 2026 or slightly earlier. I’ll be out by then though LOL!

It’s going to be a huge consideration as these schools are expected to open around 2026 or slightly earlier. I’ll be out by then though LOL!
No seriously. Especially with the national residency spots only increasing by 200 seats in like the last 15 years… idk how they’re going to keep up with more schools opening and opening and opening…

No seriously. Especially with the national residency spots only increasing by 200 seats in like the last 15 years… idk how they’re going to keep up with more schools opening and opening and opening…
Well with Caribbean schools becoming an ever-so unviable option, I assume that we are going to accept less and less IMG's per year and make it so that most, if not all, US medical residency programs only accept US MD/DO candidates to compensate for it.

I do wonder about how LECOM is even thinking about the not-so-infinite amount of rotation sites in Florida and how much of an impact it'll have on the students by taking on the stress of finding their own rotations if spots run out. They're on a one-way path to beating the horse dead I suppose :(

There's a "BEWARE of X school" or "Major problems at Y school" for pretty much all DO schools written by some random internet strangers who don't have your best interests in mind. Sure, LECOM is not Johns Hopkins but you know what, it'll get the job done. A better idea would be to look at match rates, get in touch with current and former students, visit the school, etc and not obsess over spooky, anonymous reddit posts.

Reactions: 3 users
There's a "BEWARE of X school" or "Major problems at Y school" for pretty much all DO schools written by some random internet strangers who don't have your best interests in mind. Sure, LECOM is not Johns Hopkins but you know what, it'll get the job done. A better idea would be to look at match rates, get in touch with current and former students, visit the school, etc and not obsess over spooky, anonymous reddit posts.
At the end of the day, it's a US DO school and an acceptance is an acceptance: being accepted is a HUGE honor and I think everyone should remember this regardless. I agree though, asking current and former students is the BEST way to know what the school is like!

Reactions: 2 users
At the end of the day, it's a US DO school and an acceptance is an acceptance: being accepted is a HUGE honor and I think everyone should remember this regardless. I agree though, asking current and former students is the BEST way to know what the school is like!
And at the end of the day LECOM will put students in less debt than many of the alternatives. Which is a huge advantage to going here

Reactions: 3 users
Post interview R letter came today (more than 30 days after the 30 day notice). Not at all disappointed as I was very turned off during the info session. Good luck to everyone still in the running!

Post interview R letter came today (more than 30 days after the 30 day notice). Not at all disappointed as I was very turned off during the info session. Good luck to everyone still in the running!
May I ask why were you turned off during the info session? PM me if you want. Appreciate the input!

May I ask why were you turned off during the info session? PM me if you want. Appreciate the input!
Well I just realized I commented on the Bradenton thread and not the Erie thread 😂

Not sure my comments would apply to Bradenton.

• Haha
Still an alternate, still dying to hear about any kind of changes 😩

I know this is the LECOM Bradenton thread, but is anyone else in a similar boat as me having interviewed in October 2022 and STILL no admissions decision? I got denied from Erie, but absolutely no word from Elmira or Bradenton. No A, WL, or R. Like what could be going on??? I'm stressing 😭

It could be a silent rejection (until the very end when they let you know) or they could still be reviewing your app and comparing it to others. Just my guess
I thought med schools were ROLLING admissions? That’s just annoying they making people wait that long and comparing it to students who applied late

Are med schools really rolling admissions or do they end up comparing student who applied in June to student who applied in November? Is that fair? What’s the point of applying early then?
For example LECOM making student who interviewed in October to students who interviewed in March wait

I thought med schools were ROLLING admissions? That’s just annoying they making people wait that long and comparing it to students who applied late
Right? It's obnoxious. They make it almost impossible to create a plan B. We're just out here trying to better ourselves and our communities, not have our emotions played with

This is a good point. If that’s the case then might as well apply later to have less of a wait for a decision. I imagine it’s different at each school though.

Are med schools really rolling admissions or do they end up comparing student who applied in June to student who applied in November? Is that fair? What’s the point of applying early then?
For example LECOM making student who interviewed in October to students who interviewed in March wait
This is a good point. If that’s the case then might as well apply later to have less of a wait for a decision. I imagine it’s different at each school though.
I have merged these posts to the main LECOM thread.

When did you guys hear back after the info session? It's been a little over 2 weeks for me and I haven't heard back yet.

When did you guys hear back after the info session? It's been a little over 2 weeks for me and I haven't heard back yet.
This school is known for taking a very long time to hear back from, especially since they compare their applications from a whole series of interview invite batches (from what I heard from December to February, they all compare those interviews)

This school is known for taking a very long time to hear back from, especially since they compare their applications from a whole series of interview invite batches (from what I heard from December to February, they all compare those interviews)
Dang they told us it would probably be 2-3 weeks turnaround during my info session a month ago