Cv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but when you are doing a CV, should I include my board scores, or just state "passed"? Are there any sites to show how to do a medical CV? Thanks :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the link. I'll do some more searching, but if anyone has done a CV..let me know..post scores or not? Thanks

I havent heard of anyone even putting the boards taken on their cv. Did anyone else do that? I vote for no score, and probably vote for no Step's mentioned either. There are tons of cv's on the web for viewing, and if you do a search for "cv" or "m.d." or something on Google, you'll get to view some medical cv's. :)

julestx said:
I havent heard of anyone even putting the boards taken on their cv. Did anyone else do that? I vote for no score, and probably vote for no Step's mentioned either. There are tons of cv's on the web for viewing, and if you do a search for "cv" or "m.d." or something on Google, you'll get to view some medical cv's. :)
I agree, don't put anything about boards on your CV. It looks tacky....everyone has to take them afterall.

Plus, it looks snobby if you got a good score, and can look bad if you got a mediocre score.

ive been filling out ERAS and when you enter the basic information into it it generates a CV for you, and Examinations/Certifications are a heading. it doesnt list your score, just that you took the exam and passed, as well as any certifications you have (ACLS, PALS, etc). we were also told by our administration to include this information in our CVs. so i dunno *shrug*

I think the above post has it right. I should just follow the ERAS model and if needed transfer that info to a hard copy CV. No scores sound best (my scores are not hot anyway,..whew!) Although, I did find a resume writing service online that had a sample DR. resume which contained her board score AND get this..MCAT score!!! I think she should be fired just for putting that on there..ha! Thanks everyone. :D

ERAS doesn't include your scores, but you will have to make a seperate CV for your letter writers. I think that if the score will make you look good, include it. If the score will make you look average or bad, don't include it.

I think I included the fact that I TOOK the exams (IE: USMLE Step One: Passed 1999, etc) on my "hand out copies" CV, but I didn't feel it necessary to include scores. IMHO, the test is designed as a minimum qualification, not a scale of how good a physician you are (long rant). I also included a section that said US Citizen (I was born overseas, so I needed to make that clear).

GeneGoddess said:
I think I included the fact that I TOOK the exams (IE: USMLE Step One: Passed 1999, etc) on my "hand out copies" CV, but I didn't feel it necessary to include scores. IMHO, the test is designed as a minimum qualification, not a scale of how good a physician you are (long rant). I also included a section that said US Citizen (I was born overseas, so I needed to make that clear).

I included my scores on the CV I handed to letter writers. They all invariably asked (before I brought out the CV) anyways and I think it was definitely one of the points they were interested in (others being clerkship grades, research, etc). Of course, this is before one actually gets the M.D., I don't know about keeping it on there after that!